Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
James%20Longstreet%20Statue%201.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Since you believe, wrongly I might add, these monuments glorify our racist past, let's tear down the Lincoln memorial in Washington DC as well....
Tear down a monument to the preserver of the Union and the man who, his own failings notwithstanding, ended slavery? That wouldn't make much sense, would it? A bit like defending monuments commemorating the men who attempted to destroy that union and perpetuate slavery. History isn't the issue. How we frame it and what we honor is.

What I believe is that monuments to Confederate leaders, largely in uniform and ready for battle, send the wrong message and have, historically, reflected and sponsored a noble sense of an ignoble struggle, which in turn went some way to supporting the worst vestiges of it within the culture. These men served a racist, dehumanizing cause, whatever their personal feelings it is that linkage that condemns their commemoration. It is a cautionary tale at best.

drbrumley

Frankly, you guys are hypocrites....

You hypocrites want to tear down the southern memorials and that's it....I'm asking about the Lincoln memorial....why does that get to stay?

rexlunae

Frankly, you guys are hypocrites....

You hypocrites want to tear down the southern memorials and that's it....I'm asking about the Lincoln memorial....why does that get to stay?

Because there is something of value to redeem his place in history.