The Wonderful Dispensation of Grace

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Christ also made a conditional statement in John 15:1-7 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

The baptism John preached was for their purification. This act of obedience resulted in the remission of their sins. Not all took part, for “the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God for themselves” (Lk 7:30).

Of those who took part, we find that many of them did not continue in their obedience.

Instead, they crucified their Messiah.

Later, even John had doubts that Jesus was the Messiah, but Christ reassured him by referring to the acts which attested to the establishment of the kingdom which had been promised to David. Luke 7:18-28 Then the disciples of John reported to him concerning all these things. 19 And John, calling two of his disciples to him, sent them to Jesus, saying, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?” 20 When the men had come to Him, they said, “John the Baptist has sent us to You, saying, ‘Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?’ ” 21 And that very hour He cured many of infirmities, afflictions, and evil spirits; and to many blind He gave sight. 22 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things you have seen and heard: that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the gospel preached to them. 23 And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.” 24 When the messengers of John had departed, He began to speak to the multitudes concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 25 But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed those who are gorgeously appareled and live in luxury are in kings’ courts. 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. 27 This is he of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who will prepare Your way before You.’ 28 For I say to you, among those born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
In Mark 1:14,15 it says, “After John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel’”.

Christ’s ministry was only to Israel. Mat 15:21-28 Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.” 23 But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she cries out after us.” 24 But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” 25 Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, help me!” 26 But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.” 27 And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.” 28 Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

As He proclaimed the nearness of the kingdom, Christ confirmed His ministry by healing the sick. These miracles were the signs that Isaiah prophesied would accompany the kingdom.
Isa 35:1-10 The wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them, and the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose; 2 It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice, even with joy and singing. The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it, the excellence of Carmel and Sharon. They shall see the glory of the Lord, the excellency of our God. 3 Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees. 4 Say to those who are fearful-hearted, “Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God; He will come and save you.” 5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. 6 Then the lame shall leap like a deer, and the tongue of the dumb sing. For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert. 7 The parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water in the habitation of jackals, where each lay, there shall be grass with reeds and rushes. 8 A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, shall not go astray. 9 No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast go up on it; It shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk there, 10 and the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with singing, with everlasting joy on their heads. They shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

This is why Paul referred to Him as a “minister of circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers” (Rom 15:8).

Were these the only promises to be confirmed?

No, I believe all the covenant promises were to be confirmed but especially those made to Abraham and David. When His birth was announced, His royal commission was emphasized: Lk 1:32,33 “He will be great . . . and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end”.

Bob Hill

lightninboy

Dear Lighthouse,

Thank you for your reply.

Lighthouse said:
After they accepted that Jesus was Lord and Savior. The 12 were most likely saved after the Resurrection, before Pentecost. But it wasn't until after Pentecost that they preached the New Covenant. So, the Jews were not saved until after Pentecost.
I am kind of of the opinion that the twelve disciples except Judas Iscariot were saved before the Crucifixion. godrulz may claim that Judas lost his salvation, but I think he agrees that the eleven disciples were saved before the Crucifixion. Jerry Shugart made arguments that Old Testament saints were indeed saved.

If the eleven were saved before Pentecost, theoretically all the Jews could have been saved before Pentecost too, right? “It is finished” and the curtain being torn from the top downward.

It seems to me that if the Jews didn’t have to keep the Law for salvation after Pentecost, MAD is in vain, because the reason for MAD is putting the James and Hebrews passages onto the Jews, and if the Jews were really saved without keeping the Law…

Lighthouse said:
Jesus preached the law the entire three years of His earthly ministry.
Jesus gave the law its proper due.

Lighthouse said:
Salvation is. But certain things are requirements to show yourself as a part of those who are His, in certain dispensations. In the dispensation prior, and after, this one, the law must be kept. It is a requirement of the Bride of Christ. But none of them are saved by it.
You said salvation in every Dispensation is by grace alone! If you can’t be saved by keeping the law, you can’t be damned by not keeping the law.

Lighthouse said:
It depends on when they converted, and under whose ministry.
So Clete’s view is true of Jews who didn’t hear Paul’s teaching? They would have went to Hell for not keeping the Law?

Lighthouse said:
I posted Bob Hill’s dispensations in post #447.

Lighthouse said:
Salvation was, yes. But the law was still to be upheld and honored.
If Jews didn’t have to keep the Law between Acts 2 and Acts 9 for salvation in the Kingdom Offered part of THE COVENANT OF CIRCUMCISION, they shouldn’t have had to keep the Law for salvation in the whole THE COVENANT OF CIRCUMCISION, should they?

Lighthouse said:
That’s not the way it was in Left Behind. Will there be salvation by works in the Millennium too?

Lighthouse said:
If he wanted to be saved he would have to find someone who could lead him to the One Who saves.
What about John 3:16? What about Romans 10:11-13?

Lighthouse said:
Christ was the final sacrifice.
Did the saved Jews of the Circumcision have to sacrifice? If not, when did they stop it?

Lighthouse said:
No. Because they still kept the law, and were required to. They just weren't saved by it.
Now you do say that salvation is always by grace and not by law/works which do not save?

If they were required to keep the Law but not for salvation, does it not make sense that keeping the Law was for inclusion in Israel, God’s high priestly nation, and not for salvation which was through faith in the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world?

What differences are there between what you really believe and Acts 2 Dispensationalism?

Lighthouse said:
No they can't. They can say they do, but in the end they teach the complete opposite.
That statement is ridiculous.

Can you not see that I know Acts 2 Dispensationalism can teach salvation by grace through faith plus nothing and indeed I am arguing that is the way salvation always is?

If you have a hangup about confessing your sins all the time, see the thread A conversation with Mutt and Jeff by elected4ever in Exclusively Christian Theology.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34660

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Christ’s message was the Gospel of the Circumcision calling the nation back to the covenant relationship with God (Lk 1:72; Act 3:25,26).

The conditional components are clearly evident in His proclamation.
Mat 5:44-47 “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.”
Mat 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’”

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Repentance is also greatly emphasized in His message (Mat 4:17). The Beatitudes, for example, are weighty with conditional thoughts. Following the model prayer He says in Mat 6:14,15 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses”.

Notice, their forgiveness was dependent upon their acts of forgiving. Remember, this was spoken while He was teaching His disciples. Mat 5:1-13 And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. 2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.13 You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.

In the later commissioning of the Twelve and the Olivet discourse, we find the conditional statement twice.
Mat 10:22 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
Mat 24:13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Consider also the conditions in the parable of the sower. Notice the teaching about the one who received the word “but endures only for a while,” or “the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word” (Mat 13:21,22). The principle was, “if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments” (Mat 19:17). I think this clearly shows that it was necessary to keep the covenant of law to remain in the vital covenant relationship which would ultimately result in salvation.

The Lord developed the principles of the gospel of the circumcision, and we see the concept of endurance expanded. Our Lord thoroughly developed this in John’s gospel. John developed these endurance concepts in his first two epistles and the Revelation.

The principle was interestingly demonstrated in John chapter eight. Christ explained to the Jews who He was, who His Father was, and the importance of belief. He said, “If you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins” John 8:24.

John’s inspired observation of the results of this discourse was, “As He spoke these words, many believed in Him” John 8:30.

Now we see the principle of endurance or continuance, was an important part of the covenant of circumcision and its gospel. Now, notice very carefully to whom Christ spoke, “to those Jews who believed Him” John 8:31. The words, “who believed,” are a perfect participle and its definite article.

In Greek this means something happened in the past and has consequences for the present.

These Jews who believed (aorist indicative), are now believers. They are now in the process of salvation. Now another important point is made. In order to stay in this relationship they must remain or continue in His word. This is the same kind of statement that Christ made to His eleven apostles in John 15. If they do not remain in His word, they will not remain in belief and will fall from their covenant relationship.

Here is how Christ expressed it in John 8:31,32: “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free”.

But there was an immediate sense of rebellion, and eventually these believers lost their faith and saught to kill Him (37). Were they really saved? Yes! John was inspired to write that they believed and were believers (30,31). But they did not do what Christ told them to do. Therefore, they became unbelievers (45).

Can we be sure He was speaking to the same ones who were called believers? If you read 31-33, I think you will see that He, indeed, was talking to the believers. After they became unbelievers because the did not “abide in (His) word,” they attributed His statements to demon possession (48,52). Finally, they tried to stone Him (59). All of this is extremely interesting. These people start out as believers but end up as those who desired to kill Him.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
But, who knows how many dispensations there are?

Scofield said there are seven Dispensations.
Innocence, Conscience, Human Government, Promise, Law, Grace, and the Kingdom.

I think there are twelve:
Innocence, Conscience, Human Government
It is difficult to discern the method of salvation in the second and third of these first three dispensations. God seems to demand sacrifices, but we do not find the instructions for the sacrifices. It appears that they would be saved if they believed God and brought the required sacrifice.

When we consider the fourth dispensation, The Dispensation of Promise, the doubt is removed, and clearer instructions are given.
Faith alone. Gen 15:6
Confirmed as unconditional
Gen 15:8-18
Gal 3:17
Forever Gen 13:15

We find the greatest change in God’s method of salvation in the Hebrew Scriptures from the fourth, The Dispensation of Promise, to the fifth dispensation,

The fifth The Dispensation of Circumcision.
THE COVENANT OF CIRCUMCISION
Circumcision, Faith, works,
Gen 17:14
Gen 22:12
Jam 2:21-24
Forever
Gen 17:13
Abraham was justified by his faith-work of offering up his son. That was God’s method of salvation just as circumcision was necessary. The faith-work did not provide the righteousness. Only Jesus Christ’s faithfulness could do that. That is shown in Romans, Galatians, and Philippians.

Man acquires by faith the righteousness which Christ provided by dying.

In each dispensation, man must do by faith what God requires.

Under circumcision, God required faith-works.

Under The Dispensation of Grace, He requires faith apart from works.

If you consult the chart at the middle of my booklet on this subject, you will see that seven of the twelve dispensations are under the influence of the circumcision covenant. We must conclude that the circumcision covenant even includes the new covenant, for Genesis 17:7,13, and 19 all say it is everlasting.

Law
Under this dispensation, God’s method for having His righteousness imputed now includes faith-law-keeping. The works of the law didn’t provide anything. But when a man continuously kept God’s law, by faith, he appropriated God’s righteousness.

Kingdom Promised
2 Sa 7:11-Malachi
This kingdom promised to David will last forever.

Kingdom Proclaimed
John’s ministry – John 1:19
Repentance, Faith, works of the law, circumcision, baptism, abide, forgive

His ministry was to bring salvation to the nation. Because it was such an important part of his ministry, we must understand baptism and its relationship to Israel.

Its history is very important.
This water rite was explained for Israel under the law in Num 19:9,10,17-21:

The Kingdom Offered
Acts 2 – 9
Repentance, Faith, works of the law, circumcision, baptism, abide

The Dispensation of Grace
Mystery, Grace, Fullness of Times
Faith alone for salvation
Rom 4:4,5; Tit 3:5,6

Parts of the following: Heb; James; 1 & 2 Pet; 1,2&3 John; Jude; were partially in effect until the circumcision believers died out. Now, in the Dispensation of Grace, they are not always applicable.

Till the rapture

After the rapture, the Covenant of Circumcision Resumes

The Great Tribulation
Repentance faith, works of the law, circumcision, baptism, abide, endure

1,000 year Kingdom

Eternal kingdom

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
These conditional concepts of abiding and enduring are explicitly illustrated in the fifteenth chapter of John. After Judas left (13:26-31), Christ spoke to the eleven (13:1,22,33,35). He said to them, “I am the vine, you are the branches” (15:5). Do we have any doubt who the branches are? They are the eleven apostles. Judas has left (13:30). “Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away” (15:2). That is a strong statement. What does “He takes away” mean? The Greek word airw means “take away” or “take up.” It is found 98 times in the New Testament and means take away or something similar at least sixty times in the New Testament, and seventeen times in John’s gospel. Here it seems to mean that this person is taken out of that vital relationship with Christ necessary for salvation. We see this is not merely a pruning or lifting to a better place since the next statement is plainly about pruning.

Next we see that they are clean, right now. In order to maintain that clean state, they must remain in Him and He in them (15:4). If any of these apostles does not remain in Him, “he is cast out as a branch and is withered, and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned” (15:6). Next, He makes a third class conditional statement: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you” (15:7). This is the same statement He made in John 8:31,32. If they do this, not only will they get what they desire, but Christ says, “so you will be My disciples” (15:8).

Again, this is very similar to John 8:32. We see how the apostles would abide in His love, “If you keep My commandments” (15:10). He continues making conditional statements. I want to put the protasis first in verse fourteen, where it logically goes in English, to emphasize what He is saying. “If you do what I command you, you are my friends.” From this, we can make one strong conclusion. Faith-works were essential for salvation under the dispensation of circumcision.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
What eschatological promises are made by Christ under the dispensation of circumcision? The Twelve were promised thrones and the right to judge Israel. Others will receive “a hundredfold, and inherit everlasting life” (Mat 19:28,29). But even these promises are conditional.

The Twelve must first follow Christ (19:28). The others will have to leave “houses or brothers or sister or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake.” Their hope is the resurrection and second coming with its deliverance after the tribulation when the kingdom is restored to Israel (Acts 1:6).

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The kingdom message was very important in Christ’s ministry because of the promises made to David.

The kingdom, as prophesied, will be a time of Israelite supremacy (Mat 8:11,12).

Those who do not maintain their covenant relationship with God will be cut off from the kingdom and cast into outer darkness according to Mat 8:12: But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I think these are the same who will have the kingdom taken from them and given to the nation which will bear fruit.

This nation is the little flock (Lk 12:32), Israel in true covenant relationship with God:1 Pet 2:9,10 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

When this happens, it will be the fulfillment of Daniel 7:27, “Then the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people, the saints of the Most High.

His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey Him.

The gospel of the circumcision had its basis in the covenant of circumcision.

The apostles of the circumcision were acutely aware of its requirements (Gen 17:10-14). They would not go against God’s covenant (Act 10:28).

Their ministry before the body of Christ began, with the salvation of Paul, seems to have been to their brothers (Isa 66:18-23; Mat 10:5-15; 28:18-20 with Act 10:28 in view).

They certainly had the Davidic kingdom in mind (Act 1:6). The gospel of the kingdom for them seems to have been the good news that the long promised Davidic kingdom would be established. The time of their trouble was near. Their marching orders had been given: “Go therefore” (Mat 28:19); and, “This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all nations, and then the end will come” (Mat 24:14).

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Baptism was essential for salvation under the Baptist’s and Christ’s ministries.
Lk 3:3 And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
Mk 16:15,16 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.16 “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

It also was essential under the ministry of the twelve. Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
But, Paul wrote in 1 Cor 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

Bob

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Even after the body of Christ began with the salvation of Paul, we see that water baptism still saves the covenant people: 1 Pe 3:18-21 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us – baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Of course, we have no record of a circumcision apostle evangelizing after Cornelius was saved. The only activity we read about in the Bible concerning the circumcision apostles is their written ministry. This was extremely important because it was preparing the covenant people for their prophesied time of trouble in the tribulation.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
To whom was John the Baptist sent?

It says in John 1:31 that John was sent to Israel: “I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”

John came to Israel to show that Jesus was the Messiah or Christ. It was at a time when God was only dealing with the Jews. The method of salvation was repent and be baptized for your sins.

This was the message of the kingdom gospel. Luke 16:16 shows when the kingdom gospel started: “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.”

Did Christ and the apostles preach the same gospel that John preached? Yes, for it says that they did. Mat 10:5-10 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, 10 nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food. Also Mark 1:14,15.

Now, notice the context. Baptism was linked with the message of the kingdom promised to David. This was the good news of the circumcision. Gal 2:7-9 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), 9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
When John began his ministry there was only one baptism, water. Was it necessary for salvation? Yes.

We even find Jesus saying to Nicodemus in John 3:5 that if a man wants to enter into the kingdom of God, he must be born of water and of the Spirit.

This requirement of water baptism fit the historical setting of John’s message. John began baptizing. The apostles continued baptizing after the resurrection and the day of Pentecost. Christ commanded the Eleven in Mark 16:15,16, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.”

Peter insisted on the same requirement ten days later on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Here we see that water baptism was necessary before Holy Spirit baptism would take place.

So now, at Pentecost, for the first time, they had two baptisms. Water baptism was necessary for salvation.

Then, Holy Spirit baptism took place. From the context of verses 22 and 39 we see that this happened while God was still dealing with Israel. Peter was only speaking to Israel in 22, and he was referring to the promise made to Israel in 39.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Next, something very important happened.

The Apostle Paul got saved. I will not go into the differences in Paul’s salvation, although it appears that Paul was saved under the same message Peter preached in Acts 2. Acts 22:16 says, “And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”

Since God had started a new dispensation with Paul (Gal 1:11-2:9; Eph 3:1-9), all kinds of different things began to happen.

Peter got a vision in Acts 10 which showed that Israel had been set aside. They were no longer God’s special people. This was shown by the vision given to Peter when the law of clean and unclean animals was set aside (Lev 20:24-26).

Unbelievably, Peter was sent to a Gentile and told by the Holy Spirit to doubt nothing (Acts 10:20).

The most significant event happened when Peter went to the Gentiles who called him after God said is was ok.

When they believed, the Holy Spirit interrupted Peter’s message before he could tell them to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins.

In fact, the Holy Spirit fell on all the Gentiles while Peter was still preaching.

The Jews who accompanied Peter were amazed.

This, absolutely, was a dispensational sign from God that something had changed.

What had changed?

God had started a new dispensation, and a new program when He saved Paul.

This was an exciting time for us Gentiles.

In Christ because of His death,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Now, we have some interesting situations. Since God would only reveal the new message to the Apostle Paul, Peter was still preaching the same message he had always preached, faith plus works: Acts 10:34-43 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. 35 But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. 36 The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ - He is Lord of all - 37 that word you know, which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, and began from Galilee after the baptism which John preached: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. 39 And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem, whom they killed by hanging on a tree. 40 Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead. 42 And He commanded us to preach to the people [Israel], and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead. 43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

But, before Peter could say another word, the Holy Spirit interrupted him before he could command them to be baptized for the remission of their sins.

What was the situation at this point?
At first there was only one baptism, John’s.
It was necessary for salvation.

But things started changing when Paul got saved.
The Holy Spirit fell on all these Gentiles before they were water baptized.

Remember, water baptism had been essential for salvation, and was a sign to Jews to show Christ to them.

But later, sometime during his second missionary journey the Apostle Paul told the body of Christ about the baptisms which they knew of, in this manner: “I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius . . . . For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel”.

1 Co 1:14-17 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. 16 Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

From this we see that Paul was not under the great commission which was given to the circumcision apostles.
Mark 15:15.16 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.”

In the same epistle, Paul wrote 1 Co 12:13 “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body; whether Jews or Greeks”.

Therefore, water baptism had changed from being the only baptism, and necessary for salvation, to a ritual which had faded away.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Finally, to wrap it up, God finished showing Israel that they had been set aside.

He had done this in a progressive manner. It started in Acts 13:46, continued in Acts 18:6, and was concluded in Acts 28:28.

After Israel had been shown that they had been set aside, Paul was inspired by God to write Ephesians.

In Ephesians 4:3-6, Paul wrote about the unity of the Spirit.

He was writing about God’s dealings with Christians in this dispensation of grace.

He wrote, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith one baptism.”

It doesn’t say two baptisms, water and Holy Spirit! It says there “is one baptism”. One baptism.

Which one is it then?

It must be Holy Spirit baptism since the Holy Spirit is still sealing members into the body of Christ.

If you have followed my long posts, I think you can see that the gospel message started out with one baptism, water. It was necessary for salvation.

It progressed to two: water first, then, Holy Spirit baptism.
The water baptism was still necessary for salvation.

Finally, in this Dispensation of Grace, it returned to one, Holy Spirit baptism, which is now necessary for salvation.

After the rapture of the body of Christ, the circumcision gospel will be in place again.

Water baptism will become necessary for salvation again as shown in 1 Pe 3:18-22.

1 Pe 3:18-22 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us - baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

In Christ,
Bob Hill