The "Unoffical TOL '80's Thread"

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Still a back to the land hippie in the 80's, though a saved one in 79'.
No phone.
No bathroom.
Milking goats.
Raising chickens.
Home births and raising kids.
I don't know what was on th' radio or TV.
Intense home Bible studies.
Dealing with neighbor cultists- Rashneesh, Urantia, Mormon, SDA, WWCOG as well as family- Christian Science, Unity, Theosophy, Campbellite COC.

had to be california - ? :confused:

Granite

Hall of Fame
:shocked:

Actually it's kind of funny but for the last few weeks I've been all about Eighties music. I can't get enough of New Order, the Psychedelic Furs, the Cure, Bowie, Depeche Mode--really great stuff. You know what they call this music now, on Sirius Radio? Classic alternative. Unreal.

P.S. My earworm last week was "Mexican Radio.":shocked:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
had to be california - ? :confused:

Nope....Tennessee.

Did you know that 320 hippies in a 60 bus caravan left Haight Ashbury, San Francisco under the leadership of a man named Stephen Gaskin in 1971 and bought a large farm near Summertown, Tennessee and lived communally for many years? It grew to nearly a couple of thousand people. Many of those folks are still there.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Betamax..... :shocked:

Yes, those Betamax, when they stopped stocking them, I used them for recording vinyl, and they sounded near as good as reel to reel at 15IPS.

That was a bust for Sony, all those machines, sold around $400 1980 dollars and they could be found for fifty bucks. :)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

GuySmiley

You had to ask your parents if you could get a refill of your coke at a restaurant. My parents would rarely let us, so we had to make it last.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
You had to ask your parents if you could get a refill of your coke at a restaurant. My parents would rarely let us, so we had to make it last.

At least you got the initial one....I was expected to order water. :plain:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Makes you wonder who initially came up with the idea that this actually looked good?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Makes you wonder who initially came up with the idea that this actually looked good?

Was it this guy?

flock-of-seagulls2.jpg

Speaking of which: