The "Unoffical TOL '80's Thread"

musterion

I remember truly fearing the Soviets. Now I fear my own government more.

Apart from that...Manimal.

Aimiel

Wait!!! I was always told the 50's were the beatniks; 60's: protesters; 70's: hippies... but the 80's was the era that everybody wanted to pretend never happened, because of DISCO!!! :colt45:

musterion

Wait!!! I was always told the 50's were the beatniks; 60's: protesters; 70's: hippies... but the 80's was the era that everybody wanted to pretend never happened, because of DISCO!!! :colt45:

Hippies were well on their way out of style by the mid-70s if not a bit earlier, and disco was pretty much dead by the time of the New Wave of the early '80s. Yuppies are the bigger reason people disliked the '80s, though I never really saw it as more than envy. (grew up lower middle class and rural, what do I know)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I had a cell phone in the 80s.
cellpics-37.jpg

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Hippies were well on their way out of style by the mid-70s if not a bit earlier, ...

In October 1966, a group of San Francisco hippies staged a Love Pageant. As stories and images of hippies spread, thousands of young Americans flooded the city, wanting to witness or be part of the action. A year later -- after the 1967 "summer of love" -- San Francisco hippies performed a rite they called "The Death of the Hippie."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Yes, they were.

In the 80s my kids were teens to young adults, and they brought back my youthful days of the 1950s. All the 60s, i was busy, college, then marriage, and the 70s, having young children, it all seemed like a big blur.

The 80s were my favorite decade, and the 50s were another good decade. remember I was a teen in the 50s and most teens gave fun.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Still a back to the land hippie in the 80's, though a saved one in 79'.
No phone.
No bathroom.
Milking goats.
Raising chickens.
Home births and raising kids.
I don't know what was on th' radio or TV.
Intense home Bible studies.
Dealing with neighbor cultists- Rashneesh, Urantia, Mormon, SDA, WWCOG as well as family- Christian Science, Unity, Theosophy, Campbellite COC.

john w

Hall of Fame
My best month as a stock broker, because of....

WSJ+1987+stock+market+crash.jpeg

"....So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it. ..."-Eddie Murphy, as Billy Ray Valentine, in "Trading Places"