ECT The main prophets point beyond the land

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yep - Gill is simply wrong. The sheep and goats telling is NOT a parable.

Rather it is the telling of a literal reality in which two figures of speech are employed for the ease of each's use - as a "picture...worth a thousand words."

Matthew 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, AS A shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

It's a parable.

If it's not a parable, then an atheist with no faith at all will enter the kingdom if the atheist feeds the hungry, gives water to the thirsty, clothes the unclothed, invites a stranger into his house, takes care of sick people, and visits prisoners in jail.

Danoh

That's correct, but the parables themselves are not literal.

The parables are literal.

It is their content that is not literal (not actually talking about fig trees, sheep, etc., though they are literal).

Just as what their content is meant to illustrate is literal.

Danoh

It's a parable.

If it's not a parable, then an atheist with no faith at all will enter the kingdom if the atheist feeds the hungry, gives water to the thirsty, clothes the unclothed, invites a stranger into his house, takes care of sick people, and visits prisoners in jail.

Yep; because just as in time past, said "atheist" will have fulfilled the conditions of the covenant that is actually based on - on "them that bless you," etc.

Great Tribulation passage...

This here (which Hilston was off on, if I recall):

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Interplanner

What fools to think the whole point of it is to 'slot' in a time mechanism! It is for those poor folks who went through the 6th decade when religion was violent, mothers ate children, the magma of earth surfaced, etc, etc. if you only knew.

This is why you go to Amos 9 and like the teacher I heard today SAY NOTHING ABOUT THE NT QUOTE OF AMOS 9 because it would explode what you think has to happen in your time mechanistic view. Fools! Amos 8 had just said there are famines that are not about food! So: there are tents of David that are not about temples! There are "Israels" that are not about states!

Amos 8 had just said Israel was moved from Egypt back in its day but so was Philistia and Syria. So not even that is as precious as everyone thought. If God moved Philistia to Canaan and Israel to Judea, then the answer to all the 2000 years or more of crap between them, especially lately, is precisely that there is an Israel that does not have to do with the land, and rather has to do with a living dynamic building that glorifies God daily in its services! And where every tongue and ethne fellowships, and doesn't piddle around with acreages and buildings. Fools for literalism! Fools for D'ism! Fools for Zionism! Fools against Zionism too since it is only going to harden each side! Fools, all of them.

Why be so proud of not being Catholic when you have all the same theories through your proxy modern prophecy Israel? The state has the right to exist no doubt but it has nothing to do with messianic prophecy or what the NT is about! In fact, every state that protects pluralism has the right to speedy reprisal against any state that imposes its theocracy on that state. That's not the question at all.

The question is the fools.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's a parable.

The goats do not do that.

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

whitestone

That's correct.

The parables did contain the mysteries.

That still doesn't mean they are to be taken literally.

But then who do we believe "you" or "you"?,In one thread when it helps you they are to be taken literal but in another thread when they hurt you their not.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But then who do we believe "you" or "you"?,In one thread when it helps you they are to be taken literal but in another thread when they hurt you their not.

I never said they were to be taken literal.

I said they contained the mysteries hidden before the foundation of the world.

(Matt 13:35) ... I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

As we see above, Jesus spoke in parables. The parables contained mysteries that had been kept secret since the foundation of the world.

After the cross, the Apostle Paul preached the same mysteries that had been kept secret since the foundation of the world, except Paul didn't do it with parables.

whitestone

Fair enough,,as the days roll by and we all discuss the certain differences past verses future and you bring up some of the favorite scriptures in defense of preterism,,,remember "they are not to be taken literal".

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So: there are tents of David that are not about temples!

That's right.

David's tent was rebuilt and stood from 30AD - 70AD (not literally)

That's why James quoted Amos in Acts 15

(Acts 15:16) ‘After this I will return
and rebuild David’s fallen tent.
Its ruins I will rebuild,
and I will restore it,

James quoted Amos because the prophecy was fulfilled in the first century.

The original tent of David stood for 40 years at the same time Moses' tabernacle stood. The Ark was in David's tent, it was at David's tent that the people worshipped God. However the High Priest carried out all his priestly duties at Moses' tabernacle while God was present in David's tent.

The same thing happened in the first century.

In both cases, after 40 years, the son sat down on the father's throne.

Interplanner

That's right.

David's tent was rebuilt and stood from 30AD - 70AD (not literally)

That's why James quoted Amos in Acts 15

(Acts 15:16) ‘After this I will return
and rebuild David’s fallen tent.
Its ruins I will rebuild,
and I will restore it,

James quoted Amos because the prophecy was fulfilled in the first century.

The original tent of David stood for 40 years at the same time Moses' tabernacle stood. The Ark was in David's tent, it was at David's tent that the people worshipped God. However the High Priest carried out all his priestly duties at Moses' tabernacle while God was present in David's tent.

The same thing happened in the first century.

In both cases, after 40 years, the son sat down on the father's throne.

You mean that the rebuilt tents were the believers, right? Why would they stop at 70AD?