ECT The main prophets point beyond the land

Interplanner

:chuckle:

Matthew 25, all nations gathered before him.

That's the day of judgement; it does not 'need' to be anywhere to happen. "He to whom God wishes to speak, whether in anger or in love, cannot cease to exist."--Luther. That's how much God 'needs' things to happen in Israel.

Danoh

Parables function along the same line of how analogies, metaphors, figures of speech, and so on, are meant to function - as a means of conveying a literal reality through the resulting "picture" the use of parables, figures of speech etc., are meant to "paint a picture of."

And these various tools within other tools common to the use of words for the communicating of one's intended sense to others, often rely on one's audience being somewhat already familar with some literal aspect the parable, figure of speech, etc., relies on.

The Lord even said as much in the following...

Matthew 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

What He began that with was in the sense of - now understand what I am about to say through an example of a literal reality you are all already familiar with - the fig tree and its seasons, etc.

Is He actually talking about fig trees and so forth? No.

Rather, he is speaking of something literal He wants to communicate unto them through an example of something already familar to them that is literal - fig trees and their seasons, and so on.

But some on TOL cannot but remind one of the fool questions the Lord was often pestered with by simpletons; who would miss His attempts at a "case in point" as being a reference to the case itself.

In this, the response of some in the above posts to the parable(s) being discussed is much like that of someone who, were you to say to them within, an appropriate context "you know how it is; you can't fight city hall"- such an individual just might ask "what's city hall got to do with this?"

And you well know they would ask such a stupid question not only with a straight face, but actually believing "you are the dummy for even bringing up city hall!"

TOLers - you know where such stupidity comes from - in all its shades and hues?

From minds long since drowned out from any hope of objectivity when looking at a thing, due to the mind crippling effect that their over reliance on sources external to the text, including their own notions as one of said external sources, results in.

SOS - sources other than Scripture - the very basis, far too often, of the ECF, and their obviously greatly multiplied parrot off-spring (POS).

SOS. For thought their minds cry out for liberation. At the same time their SOS does not allow for said liberation.

Beat their chest all day long about how Scholars such and so agree with their parroting, the following, by way of "analogy" is nevertheless, their actual rot lot.

Matthew 13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Only an idiot would ask "Why in the world would you take a parable literally?"

But such is the rot lot in life of those who over rely on sources external to the text, including, but not limited to, the external source that is there own...senseless two cents.

:doh:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TOLers - you know where such stupidity comes from

Yes we do. It comes from you and yours.

(John 12:32) And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

Only someone with an agenda would understand the above verse to mean Jesus comes back to earth to gather Jews.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus' parables are not too difficult to be understood

(John 10:6) This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

You Darby followers are just like the Pharisees, neither of you understand the parables.

Danoh

Yes we do. It comes from you and yours.

(John 12:32) And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

Only someone with an agenda would understand the above verse to mean Jesus comes back to earth to gather Jews.

Lol, that is NOT my understanding of that passage.

john w

Hall of Fame
Parables function along the same line of how analogies, metaphors, figures of speech, and so on, are meant to function - as a means of conveying a literal reality through the resulting "picture" the use of parables, figures of speech etc., are meant to "paint a picture of."

And these various tools within other tools common to the use of words for the communicating of one's intended sense to others, often rely on one's audience being somewhat already familar with some literal aspect the parable, figure of speech, etc., relies on.

The Lord even said as much in the following...

Matthew 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

What He began that with was in the sense of - now understand what I am about to say through an example of a literal reality you are all already familiar with - the fig tree and its seasons, etc.

Is He actually talking about fig trees and so forth? No.

Rather, he is speaking of something literal He wants to communicate unto them through an example of something already familar to them that is literal - fig trees and their seasons, and so on.

But some on TOL cannot but remind one of the fool questions the Lord was often pestered with by simpletons; who would miss His attempts at a "case in point" as being a reference to the case itself.

In this, the response of some in the above posts to the parable(s) being discussed is much like that of someone who, were you to say to them within, an appropriate context "you know how it is; you can't fight city hall"- such an individual just might ask "what's city hall got to do with this?"

And you well know they would ask such a stupid question not only with a straight face, but actually believing "you are the dummy for even bringing up city hall!"

TOLers - you know where such stupidity comes from - in all its shades and hues?

From minds long since drowned out from any hope of objectivity when looking at a thing, due to the mind crippling effect that their over reliance on sources external to the text, including their own notions as one of said external sources, results in.

SOS - sources other than Scripture - the very basis, far too often, of the ECF, and their obviously greatly multiplied parrot off-spring (POS).

SOS. For thought their minds cry out for liberation. At the same time their SOS does not allow for said liberation.

Beat their chest all day long about how Scholars such and so agree with their parroting, the following, by way of "analogy" is nevertheless, their actual rot lot.

Matthew 13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Only an idiot would ask "Why in the world would you take a parable literally?"

But such is the rot lot in life of those who over rely on sources external to the text, including, but not limited to, the external source that is there own...senseless two cents.

:doh:

Yes, D, this weasel Tellalie, when told that Washington, D.C., is the "seat" of our government, and that London is the seat of government of the UK, would wine, and pine, like a kiddie, engaging in sophistry:

You really think Washington D.C., wears Hagar slacks, and that London wears britches?

I may have to switch my assessment of him, i.e., just thinking that he is so obsessed,that he is a devil boy, possessed by a demon, to that he is just stupid/a moron. No weakling, weasel, like Craigie, I used to think, can be this stupid. But then we read the obsessed one's "posts."

whitestone

Parables are not to be taken literally.

Maybe that's why you are so confused.

And see thats so confusing how that all works,,,there was a guy once in a thread(Madist don't follow Paul,page 2,post #28) that told me that the parables were the mysteries and that Jesus gave them and they were what was going to happen to the Jews.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
That's the day of judgement; it does not 'need' to be anywhere to happen. "He to whom God wishes to speak, whether in anger or in love, cannot cease to exist."--Luther. That's how much God 'needs' things to happen in Israel.

That describes 'a' judgement. There are several.

That one, according to the text, concerns the second coming of Christ to this earth when He takes His glorious throne and judges the nations according to how they treated His brethren.

It appears that it will take place specifically in the Kidron valley, according to Joel.

Danoh

The Lord Jesus doesn't label that a 'parable' and the text certainly doesn't describe 'the last judgment'.

John Gill wrote some things of value but his understanding of eschatology isn't one of them.

Yep - Gill is simply wrong. The sheep and goats telling is NOT a parable.

Rather it is the telling of a literal reality in which two figures of speech are employed for the ease of each's use - as a "picture...worth a thousand words."

Matthew 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, AS A shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And see thats so confusing how that all works,,,there was a guy once in a thread(Madist don't follow Paul,page 2,post #28) that told me that the parables were the mysteries and that Jesus gave them and they were what was going to happen to the Jews.

That's correct.

The parables did contain the mysteries.

That still doesn't mean they are to be taken literally.