The Left has become dangerously unhinged.

Arthur Brain

You seem to believe that judges in God's criminal justice system would be completely incompetent, and unable to determine right from wrong, innocent from guilty. Why is that?

Nope, I'm saying that in any system where there's a human element mistakes are inevitable and you can't dispute that. Where someone's life hangs in the balance then convictions need to be watertight.

Oh, and if you want to me to respond to the longer post then repost it so it's not amidst a bunch of replies to eider and Barb. I don't mind multi quoted posts when they're short but that was ridiculous.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If you think it's an "unreasonable" standard to establish proof of guilt beyond doubt before convicting someone to their death

It's unreasonable to try to improve on God's standard for righteousness.

God's standard is two or three witnesses. Not "proof beyond reasonable doubt."

then you're tolerating the inevitable loss of innocent life. No matter what system is in place and how efficient it is there would still be mistakes, that's just fact.

When is why the goal should be to minimize the risks of getting the wrong guy.

The current system(s) don't do that. Mine does.

Nope, I'm saying that in any system where there's a human element mistakes are inevitable and you can't dispute that.

Duh.

Where someone's life hangs in the balance then convictions need to be watertight.

Nope. "Two or three witnesses shall decide a matter."

Oh, and if you want to me to respond to the longer post then repost it so it's not amidst a bunch of replies to eider and Barb. I don't mind multi quoted posts when they're short but that was ridiculous.

Ya know... there IS a way to select text you don't want to reply to and delete it, so that it doesn't clog up your post...

It's not my problem if you don't know how to use it.

genuineoriginal

Eight of the states with lowest murder rates are not death penalty states.
Eight of the states with the highest murder rates are death penalty states.
You seem to have missed this fact:
commonly, states with high murder rates do not execute anybody.
In other words, it doesn't matter whether a state has the death penalty, the things that matter are the percent of the people that commit capital offenses that are given the death penalty, the percent of the people given the death penalty that are put to death, and the number of years between being given the death penalty and the execution.
just because they have the death penalty doesn't mean it's enforced, let alone in any reasonable amount of time, and only after months of trials, appeals, and even just waiting to be executed.
Yes.:thumb:
If the people on death row are not actually being put to death, then that removes all the deterrent effect from having a death penalty.

genuineoriginal

The Bible never says "eye"-witnesses. The word used means "witness."

Witness:
1. a person who sees an event, typically a crime or accident, take place.
2. evidence; proof.

The standard is not "eye"-witnesses, because God gives a couple examples in the Law where a crime is committed and there is only one person who witnessed the crime, and it's usually the victim (because a criminal isn't going to bear witness against himself...) who is witness, but instead God shows that judgment is still rightly handed down because of evidence against the criminal.
The Bible says that the witnesses need to be able to be first in putting the offender to death.
The Bible says that the witnesses have mouths and hands.

Deuteronomy 17:6-7
6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
7 The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.​

Nothing wrong with no eyewitnesses if there's sufficient evidence.
Okay, they do not need to have seen the actual crime (eyewitness) if the witnesses are the people producing the evidence that they are testifying about.
However, any crime without an eyewitness would need to be much more carefully judged.

Juries are not needed for justice.
Yes, juries are not needed.
What is needed are the elders that judge the capital punishment cases as a group, not an individual judge.

Arthur Brain

[MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION], for some reason Succuri is blocking my attempts to reply to your post so I'm going to respond without quoting.

Does God abhor the shedding of innocent blood? If so then why do you tolerate it? Any system with a human element involved is going to make mistakes so by association you essentially consider the innocent victims of wrongful convictions and executions collateral damage, especially if you're not supportive of watertight convictions before the death penalty is carried out.

Oh, and I'm well aware there's a way to edit out text but it's a right faff on, especially with my laptop and frankly, it is ridiculous to multi quote posts like that where it ends up as a humongous wall of text. It also happens to break the forum rules if you check so either edit it so I can respond to the salient part or don't bother.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Bible says that the witnesses need to be able to be first in putting the offender to death.
The Bible says that the witnesses have mouths and hands.

Deuteronomy 17:6-7
6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
7 The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.​

Okay, they do not need to have seen the actual crime (eyewitness) if the witnesses are the people producing the evidence that they are testifying about.

So it was, when Moses had completed writing the words of this law in a book, when they were finished,that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying:“Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there as a witness against you; - Deuteronomy 31:24-26 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy31:24-26&version=NKJV

H5707 is used both in your verses and in the one I quoted above. "Witness" in the verses I shared is referring to the "Book of the Law, . . . that it may be there as a witness against you.

"Witness" can refer to both a person OR evidence. But in the case of "two or three witnesses" it's inclusive of both.

However, any crime without an eyewitness would need to be much more carefully judged.

ALL crimes should be carefully judged.

Yes, juries are not needed.
What is needed are the elders that judge the capital punishment cases as a group, not an individual judge.

You should go read Exodus 18 then.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
[MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION], for some reason Succuri is blocking my attempts to reply to your post so I'm going to respond without quoting.

Does God abhor the shedding of innocent blood?

Yes. And He also abhors letting a criminal go free.

If so then why do you tolerate it?

It's not that I tolerate it. It's that man is, as you say next, imperfect, and makes mistakes.

Any system with a human element involved is going to make mistakes

We agree.

so by association you essentially consider the innocent victims of wrongful convictions and executions collateral damage,

If you argue this then you also have to argue that the innocent victims of crimes committed by repeat offenders in the current system are also collateral damage.

Are you sure you want to make that argument?

My system (God's, rather) is designed to minimize the loss of innocent life while maximizing the amount of justice being served. If either of those two conditions are not the priority of any justice system, then that system is inherently unjust. The current system does not, and is therefore unjust.

especially if you're not supportive of watertight convictions before the death penalty is carried out.

:deadhorse:

God's standard is two or three witnesses. Neither you nor I have the authority to try to improve on it. Which is why I accept it. Are you going to demand that God explain why He said "two or three witnesses" instead of "proof beyond (reasonable) doubt" on judgment day, and call Him unfair? I hope not.

Oh, and I'm well aware there's a way to edit out text but it's a right faff on, especially with my laptop and frankly, it is ridiculous to multi quote posts like that where it ends up as a humongous wall of text.

You realize that clicking at the beginning of the text you want to delete, holding shift, and then using the arrow keys on your laptop works too, right?

It also happens to break the forum rules if you check so either edit it so I can respond to the salient part or don't bother.

If I were posting just walls of text that have little to do with the topic of the thread instead of rather short responses to everyone I quote in it, you might have a reasonable complaint about it.

But if you think it breaks the forum rules, there's a report button and a text box for you to file a complaint with. Then you click on the "send report" button and you can see what the mods think.

It's not my problem you are incapable of handling my posts. Now, stop derailing the thread with your complaints about how I post and get back on topic.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Does God abhor the shedding of innocent blood? If so then why do you tolerate it? Any system with a human element involved is going to make mistakes so by association you essentially consider the innocent victims of wrongful convictions and executions collateral damage, especially if you're not supportive of watertight convictions before the death penalty is carried out.

Oh, and I'm well aware there's a way to edit out text but it's a right faff on, especially with my laptop and frankly, it is ridiculous to multi quote posts like that where it ends up as a humongous wall of text. It also happens to break the forum rules if you check so either edit it so I can respond to the salient part or don't bother.
Oh, one more thing...

I hardly ever use the desktop site (either on laptop or my computer at home) to reply to posts.

Almost everything I have posted on TOL has been via an app on my phone.

I am able to compose, edit, and read posts on here just fine with a bluetooth keyboard, so don't complain about your inability to edit posts you respond to, because it falls on deaf ears.

Arthur Brain

Yes. And He also abhors letting a criminal go free.

Right, so do you think God would be impressed when an innocent person is convicted and executed for a crime they didn't commit? I'm not even arguing that it's a good thing when criminals go free anyway.

It's not that I tolerate it. It's that man is, as you say next, imperfect, and makes mistakes

Sure you do. If you accept that any system in place isn't going to be perfect and innocent people are going to be executed if you don't have watertight convictions then tolerating innocent deaths is precisely what you're doing.

If you argue this then you also have to argue that the innocent victims of crimes committed by repeat offenders in the current system are also collateral damage.

Are you sure you want to make that argument?

Oh, I'm not arguing that the current system is perfect. There's too many technicalities and loopholes where violent offenders can be back on the streets and it needs improvement, there's the difference.

My system (God's, rather) is designed to minimize the loss of innocent life while maximizing the amount of justice being served. If either of those two conditions are not the priority of any justice system, then that system is inherently unjust. The current system does not, and is therefore unjust.

You haven't remotely explained how your system would minimize the loss of innocent life. There's no way you effectively could because if the evidence of two or three witnesses is sufficient to secure a guilty conviction then that would increase the number of innocent people falling victim. Court cases require more than that before passing sentence, especially in cases where someone's life hangs in the balance. Stop living in the old testament and get a grip.

:deadhorse:

God's standard is two or three witnesses. Neither you nor I have the authority to try to improve on it. Which is why I accept it. Are you going to demand that God explain why He said "two or three witnesses" instead of "proof beyond (reasonable) doubt" on judgment day, and call Him unfair? I hope not.

In olden times there was no such thing as forensic evidence or modern policing techniques. Do you think a God who abhors the shedding of innocent blood would be okay with people being executed where proof of their guilt hadn't been fully established?

You realize that clicking at the beginning of the text you want to delete, holding shift, and then using the arrow keys on your laptop works too, right?

If I were posting just walls of text that have little to do with the topic of the thread instead of rather short responses to everyone I quote in it, you might have a reasonable complaint about it.

But if you think it breaks the forum rules, there's a report button and a text box for you to file a complaint with. Then you click on the "send report" button and you can see what the mods think.

It's not my problem you are incapable of handling my posts. Now, stop derailing the thread with your complaints about how I post and get back on topic.

I'm well aware of how to do it and I am not so petty as to report you. You might notice that I don't exactly threaten the cub reporters thread by way of but the fact is your post is breaking forum rules and what's more I'm not the only one to have nudged you on the habit. There is absolutely no bloody need to multiquote to that extent where you end up with "War & Peace". Why you do it is anyone's guess.

If you want a response then quote my response and yours or don't bother. I'm not mucking about with that block just because you can't post like a normal person.

Arthur Brain

Oh, one more thing...

I hardly ever use the desktop site (either on laptop or my computer at home) to reply to posts.

Almost everything I have posted on TOL has been via an app on my phone.

I am able to compose, edit, and read posts on here just fine with a bluetooth keyboard, so don't complain about your inability to edit posts you respond to, because it falls on deaf ears.

I could care less what you use. There's no need to post mammoth posts where you could do what pretty much everyone else does and reply separately to people individually. The multi quote function wasn't designed for the way you're using it. It's fine for short posts but you're just having a laugh.

genuineoriginal

You should go read Exodus 18 then.
There is additional information in Deuteronomy 19-22,25 about the role of elders of the city and judges.

Deuteronomy 19:11-20
11 But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities:
12 Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.
13 Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.
14 Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the Lord thy God giveth thee to possess it.
15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the Lord, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.​

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The law. I quoted it; you have not even acknowledged it. Not once. You even went to the effort of deleting it from your reply to me.
It seemed superfluous as we've both read Leviticus and Deuteronomy, though you left the latter out.

So much for no argument: I showed how your reading of John is superficial.
You did no such thing.

So much for no authority: I quoted the law.
And Judas went out and hanged himself...context is important.

What have you offered, apart from your opinion?
Reason and an examination of the pale attempts to make Christ play at the law.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Right, so do you think God would be impressed when an innocent person is convicted and executed for a crime they didn't commit?

I think he's saddened when justice is not upheld.

What's your point?

I'm not even arguing that it's a good thing when criminals go free anyway.

I should hope not. :think:

Sure you do.

Arguing for a system (given by God, no less) that, due to man's inherent fallen nature, results in innocent people being unintentionally killed by mistake IS NOT the same as arguing for a system that intentionally kills the innocent just to make sure that no criminals go free.

Your straw man against my position is that I promote a system that intentionally kills the innocent. I do not. I promote a system that, because it inherently involves man, is not perfect, and recognize that there will be mistakes made BECAUSE it is not perfect due to man's inherent involvement.

If you accept that any system in place isn't going to be perfect

You should too.

and innocent people are going to be executed

Not on purpose.

In the current system, innocent people ARE executed, on purpose, by the criminals who are not punished appropriately, and it's because the system is unable to provide justice reliably.

if you don't have watertight convictions then tolerating innocent deaths is precisely what you're doing.

You fail to comprehend that watertight convictions are made regularly, and the criminal STILL goes free due to some technicality. Your standard is not good enough.

God's standard is two or three witnesses. :deadhorse:

That standard is there because even strong circumstantial evidence is enough to convict.

Oh, I'm not arguing that the current system is perfect.

:AMR:

It's not that it is not perfect (and it isn't). It's that it's a system of law, not justice.

There's too many technicalities and loopholes where violent offenders can be back on the streets and it needs improvement, there's the difference.

Death penalty and flogging and restitution solve those issues.

Any determined criminal is able to break out of a man-made prison. So why not put the criminals into a prison made by God, where there is no escape.

You haven't remotely explained how your system would minimize the loss of innocent life.

By deterring criminals from committing crimes. That's how. You protect the innocent by punishing the guilty.

It's impossible to prevent all crime. That's why it's better to deter criminals, so that they WON'T WANT to commit crimes.

That's why Barbarian's accusation against my position, that the death penalty "devalues" life, is a bad argument. Because at some point, those who have not committed murder, but want to, will realize that the government isn't going to let up on executing murderers, that it'll be all but guaranteed that if they murder, they will be executed, and they'll sit back and reconsider committing the crime, because they'll realize they value their life more than they want to commit a crime. Those who do not fear the government will obviously not respect the law, because currently there's nothing to fear. But when justice is swift and painful, criminals are deterred, because, whereas before they could murder and are practically guaranteed to live, in a justice system that enforces the death penalty, murderers are guaranteed to be executed, and not live.

There's no way you effectively could because if the evidence of two or three witnesses is sufficient to secure a guilty conviction then that would increase the number of innocent people falling victim.

No, it wouldn't.

Because, and since you haven't provided the common law punishment for perjury, I'm going to just assume you don't know or don't care, of the BIBLICAL punishment for bearing false witness, which is, whatever punishment is at stake in the trial, that is what is applied to the perjurer.

If someone wrongly accuses someone of theft, the accuser pays restitution.

If someone wrongly accuses someone of assault, the accuser is corporally punished.

If someone wrongly accuses someone of murder, or other capital crime, then the accuser will be put to death.

Since most criminals would rather save their own skins than face punishment for their crime, they would be deterred from committing the crime in the first place if punishment for their commission of a crime is all but guaranteed (barring them committing suicide before they're caught).

But bearing false witness goes beyond just mere accusations against the innocent. It also applies to those who are suspect trying to pass off blame for a crime.

Court cases require more than that before passing sentence,

And how often do the criminals in those cases STILL go unpunished? There's no guarantee of justice in the current systems. Any justice (to use a soundbite) is a random event in a mindless system.

especially in cases where someone's life hangs in the balance. Stop living in the old testament and get a grip.

God's standard of justice has remained the same since the world began. Stop trying to make it seem like He went to counseling and is nicer now. :mock:

In olden times there was no such thing as forensic evidence

Of course there was. Maybe not the technology we have, nor the knowledge of things that were then unknown, but saying there was "no forensic evidence" is at best a straw man, at worst a lie.

Forensic:
Adjective - relating to or denoting the application of scientific methods and techniques to the investigation of crime.
Noun - scientific tests or techniques used in connection with the detection of crime.

There were certainly methods for determining guilt back then, and even more so today. In fact, the technology we have today gives us NO EXCUSE for any injustice, as even without such technology, guilt can be determined easily.

or modern policing techniques.

So you think justice can only be meted out with modern techniques? :dunce:

Justice is simple. Someone steals, the punishment is restitution. Someone harms someone physically, corporal punishment equal to the harm caused. Someone commits a capital crime, the punishment is execution. There is no crime that cannot be punished that would not fall into those categories.

Do you think a God who abhors the shedding of innocent blood would be okay with people being executed where proof of their guilt hadn't been fully established?

I'll answer your question with questions of my own:

Do you think God (who abhors innocent being killed AND guilty being let go) is okay with people being killed by criminals who were let go instead of being punished according to His laws? Do you think that He is okay with the government making up their own punishments, instead of using His? Do you think that God, who knows what's best for criminals and innocent alike, did not consider all the possibilities when He gave His law?

I'm well aware of how to do it and I am not so petty as to report you.

Then quit complaining. I made my response, I'm not about to repost it just for you. Again, it's not my problem you refuse to

You might notice that I don't exactly threaten the cub reporters thread by way of but the fact is your post is breaking forum rules

Then you should righfully report it.

By not reporting it, you forfeit your right to complain about it, and all you're doing at this point is trying to derail the thread.

and what's more I'm not the only one to have nudged you on the habit.

And yet, not a single moderator has said anything to me about it.

There is absolutely no bloody need to multiquote to that extent where you end up with "War & Peace". Why you do it is anyone's guess.

:baby: :mock:

If you want a response then quote my response and yours or don't bother. I'm not mucking about with that block just because you can't post like a normal person.

I honestly don't care either way if you respond. My only objective is to spread truth.

I could care less what you use. There's no need to post mammoth posts where you could do what pretty much everyone else does and reply separately to people individually. The multi quote function wasn't designed for the way you're using it. It's fine for short posts but you're just having a laugh.

Quit yer whinin' if ya ain't gonna report me.

I post the way I post because it's easier.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There is additional information in Deuteronomy 19-22,25 about the role of elders of the city and judges.

Deuteronomy 19:11-20
11 But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities:
12 Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.
13 Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.
14 Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the Lord thy God giveth thee to possess it.
15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the Lord, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.​

Fair enough. I have nothing against judges seeking advice from other judges anyways. :think:

genuineoriginal

context is important.

Reason and an examination of the pale attempts to make Christ play at the law.
The context is that the scribes and Pharisees (experts in the law of Moses) were testing what Jesus taught against what was written in the law.

John 8:3-6
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.​

The scribes and Pharisees broke several of the commandments by their actions.
Jesus did not break any of the commandments by His actions.

After the accusers had left, there were none of the "two or three witnesses" left that were required by the law for condemning the woman.

John 8:10
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, [JESUS]Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?[/JESUS]​

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Sounds like someone (AB) has some real undealt with anger issues. If you so desire, you may PM 'Old GM' and he'll try to help you work them out?