The Left has become dangerously unhinged.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You quoted Lev 20. 11-21 to justify executions.

You quoted Lev 20.2 to justify executions for same.

You quoted Exodus 21. 22-23 to Justify executions for same.

My point was that yes, I do support the death penalty for all of those crimes.

You used the picture to justify executions for committing same

I used the screenshot because it was easier than writing out all those scripture references.

because there isn't anything in the NT!

New Testament support for capital punishment?

Jesus supports capital punishment:

He answered and said to them, [JESUS]“Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’[/JESUS] - Matthew 15:3-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:3-4&version=NKJV

[JESUS]For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men— the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”[/JESUS]He said to them, [JESUS]“All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God),[/JESUS] - Mark 7:8-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark7:8-11&version=NKJV

When Jesus was on the cross, He said nothing in defence of the two criminals next to him, or against their crucifixion.

In fact, the second criminal said they were rightly being put to death, but Jesus was the only one who didn't deserve it. Jesus didn't rebuke him, and tell him he was wrong.

Revelation supports capital punishment:

And if anyone wants to harm them, fire proceeds from their mouth and devours their enemies. And if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this manner. - Revelation 11:5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation11:5&version=NKJV

And I heard the angel of the waters saying: “You are righteous, O Lord, The One who is and who was and who is to be, Because You have judged these things.For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, And You have given them blood to drink. For it is their just due.” - Revelation 16:5-6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation16:5-6&version=NKJV

He who leads into captivity shall go into captivity; he who kills with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints. - Revelation 13:10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation13:10&version=NKJV

Paul supports capital punishment:

For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar.” - Acts 25:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts25:11&version=NKJV

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. - Romans 12:19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans12:19&version=NKJV

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. - Romans 13:1-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans13:1-4&version=NKJV

Romans 12:19 and Romans 13:1,3 go together. The governments is the one to bring wrath upon the criminal. Also, a sword isn't made for scourging, it's used for killing!

Hebrews supports capital punishment:

Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? - Hebrews 10:28-29 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews10:28-29&version=NKJV

Any questions?

No U-turns now...... no hiding now.

:AMR:

Don't duck and dive over this..... you picked the laws that you like and want to enforce if possible, and you ignored the rest, with no real justification for your proposed policy.

How is the fact that the symbolic laws have no moral value, and are instead intended to symbolize everything God had planned for Israel and His coming to earth as the Messiah not sufficient evidence that such laws are not intended for the rest of the world?

Eider, is it always wrong to take the life of an innocent person? Is it always wrong to sleep with your neighbor's wife? Is it always wrong to take what is not yours? is it always wrong to lie about something so that someone else gets punished then the one who deserves the punishment?

If yes to all of these, then they all apply equally to Israel and the rest of the world. In other words, they are absolute moral laws.

But you're picking the above laws and others that you would like to enforce with Capital punishment!

I'm not "picking and choosing" which laws I would and would not enforce. I'm telling you which laws SHOULD be enforced because they are absolute moral laws. What I want has nothing to do with it.

They got excluded at the beginning of this conversation! The remaining 507 remain on the table!

Please tell us that in your World you would allow witchcraft to be practiced.. Yes or No?

Witchcraft would not be against the law, because, unlike the law against murder, which is both a sin and a crime, witchcraft is a sin, but not a crime.

Israel was forbidden from using witchcraft because it would lead them away from God. Here in America, religious freedom is (rightfully) allowed, and therefore enforcing a ban on witchcraft (which is part of many other religions) would be not only inane, but would also be unenforceable. Banning one religion in a nation or promoting one religion over the rest of the religions doesn't work.

God's ban of witchcraft only applies to Israel because they were HIS people, and God doesn't need witchcraft (or magic or spells or what have you) to do anything. He's God.

Witchcraft is a sin. But it is not a crime. It WAS a crime, but only for Israel, and should not be enforced in any other nation.

And you think

What I think has nothing to do with this discussion. I'm stating facts, not opinions.

that your choice of laws are the moral ones, and the other 490 odd laws are not moral laws? Yes or No?

Since you haven't specified which laws you're referring to, I can't answer that question with any certainty.

What a mess.........
But since you have insisted so many times that this law and that law were only intended for the Israelites, allow me to propose that ALL the OT laws were only intended for the Israelites, which means that now you HAVE to quote from the NT only to justify your wish to execute folks .......... over to you.......... NT justification for all these executions, please.

See above for NT support for capital punishment, which is therefore a refutation of your proposition. Or are you going to be like one caller to the BEL who says Romans is in the Old Testament? :rotfl: (I think I can provide a link to it, lemme see... Will update this post with the link if I find it on Bob's YT channel.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
JR, it's a waste of your time and energy

I find satisfaction in honing my knowledge on people like Eider.

to 'debate' with posters like the one you're posting with.

Sharpening my sword of truth with the whetstone of my enemies. That's all it is.

If he denies the writings of the Apostle Paul which were wholly inspired by the Holy Spirit, then, he denies the written word of God and has made his 'choice.'

Agreed.

eider

My point was that yes, I do support the death penalty for all of those crimes.
I used the screenshot because it was easier than writing out all those scripture references.
You used the Old Testament Laws because you have cherry-picked Old Testament Laws, and ignored all the rest...... including such important laws as supporting the poor.

New Testament support for capital punishment?
Yes pleasae...... can't wait.
Jesus supports capital punishment:
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.
John 8:7, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.........
...or do you think that you are without sin, Judge Rightly?

‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death. Matthew 15:3-4
That wasn't in your list......... you need to add that one then.
Public executions for anyone whgo curses a parent. What a wonderful world yours would be.
When Jesus was on the cross, He said nothing in defence of the two criminals next to him, or against their crucifixion.
In fact, the second criminal said they were rightly being put to death, but Jesus was the only one who didn't deserve it. Jesus didn't rebuke him, and tell him he was wrong.
Wow! Let's get going with the killing spree...... Jesus didn't say anything, so tghat's it!
What a dangerous world you've built up in your mind.
And if anyone wants to harm them, fire proceeds from their mouth and devours their enemies. And if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this manner. - Revelation 11:5
That could have been referring to you, though........ :idunno:
So you've run out of any direct quotes from Jesus then.
And I heard the angel of the waters saying: “You are righteous, O Lord, The One who is and who was and who is to be, Because You have judged these things.For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, And You have given them blood to drink. For it is their just due.” - Revelation 16:5-6
Refers to God, not you.
He who leads into captivity shall go into captivity; he who kills with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints. - Revelation 13:10
That could refer to you, if you killed prisoners.
Paul supports capital punishment:
No he didn't!
For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar.” - Acts 25:11
Paul was referring to Old Testamenmt Laws, hundreds of which you ignore. Plrease don't grasp for them now.
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. - Romans 12:19

YES! YES! No rights there for you to kill people.
Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
You see? So all governing authorities are there by God, appointed by God........ so stop whining and cough up your dollars for the poor, for child education and medicare, because your appointed government has decided so...... and reduce your execution list MASSIVELY.
Hebrews supports capital punishment:
No it doesn't!
If Hebrews was that clear then you would have quoted from it first, but you needed to quote cherry-picked OT laws.
Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? - Hebrews 10:28-29
You didn't mention killing for that! That could mean apostasy..... a death sentence for apostasy! You come closer to Sharia Law by the sentence, Judge Rightly.

Any questions?
None needed...... You've shown beyond a shadow of doubt that your ideas about moral laws are completely skewed, grasping from Leviticus one moment, and denying Leviticus the next, grasping for NT verses which do not support your wish for mass executions, and failing to write anything which Jesus said to support5 your case.
A mess.

How is the fact that the symbolic laws have no moral value, and are instead intended to symbolize everything God had planned for Israel and His coming to earth as the Messiah not sufficient evidence that such laws are not intended for the rest of the world?
There are NO symbolic Laws in the 507. None.
Eider, is it always wrong to take the life of an innocent person? Is it always wrong to sleep with your neighbor's wife? Is it always wrong to take what is not yours? is it always wrong to lie about something so that someone else gets punished then the one who deserves the punishment?
Judge Rightly......... you're not going to get a mandate from civilised countries to kill these people..... can't you understand that?
If yes to all of these, then they all apply equally to Israel and the rest of the world. In other words, they are absolute moral laws.
All of the 507 are moral laws! Sacrifice and ceremony are removed from these.

I'm not "picking and choosing" which laws I would and would not enforce. I'm telling you which laws SHOULD be enforced because they are absolute moral laws. What I want has nothing to do with it.
You are picking and choosing, and you are ignoring clear speech from Jesus as already shown. No mandate for public (or private) executions.
[QUOTEWitchcraft would not be against the law, because, unlike the law against murder, which is both a sin and a crime, witchcraft is a sin, but not a crime.[/QUOTE]
Not now it isn't, and nor is Gay Marriage for that matter. No Crimes there, either one of them. Now how are you managing in this mess you've made?
Israel was forbidden from using witchcraft because it would lead them away from God. Here in America, religious freedom is (rightfully) allowed, and therefore enforcing a ban on witchcraft (which is part of many other religions) would be not only inane, but would also be unenforceable. Banning one religion in a nation or promoting one religion over the rest of the religions doesn't work.
It's not for you to decide why God made a Law, but since you've decided to support all Creeds, Churches, Denominations, other religions etc in your land, you can also add Equality and Freedom for Sexual Orientation, LGBT partnerships and marriage, polygamy, polyamory and many other OT laws which are now REPEALED. We're getting somewhere now.
God's ban of witchcraft only applies to Israel because they were HIS people, and God doesn't need witchcraft (or magic or spells or what have you) to do anything. He's God.
It's not for you to decide what God thought or wanted.
What I think has nothing to do with this discussion. I'm stating facts, not opinions.
I've pulled you up for giving opinions about what God thinks a few times....
Since you haven't specified which laws you're referring to, I can't answer that question with any certainty.
I have referred to scores of laws in previous posts..........
See above for NT support for capital punishment, which is therefore a refutation of your proposition. Or are you going to be like one caller to the BEL who says Romans is in the Old Testament? :rotfl: (I think I can provide a link to it, lemme see... Will update this post with the link if I find it on Bob's YT channel.
You call that NT support for executions, when the offences mentioned either don't exist now or are mostly not recognised by your appointed government?
This is the most pathetic attempt at supporting mass killing of offenders and non-offenders that I have seen in a long time.
I personally am not rolling in laughter, nor even chuckling......... such mindsets as the above simply leave me saddened one moment, shocked the next.

genuineoriginal

Do you really think that "The Woman Taken in Adultery" was placed in the New Testament for the express purpose of familiarizing the readers with the finer points of Mosaic jurisprudence concerning adultery, as described in Dueteronomy and Leviticus?
No, I think that this is just one of several examples in the Gospels that was placed there to show that Jesus' understanding of the finer points of the Law was much greater than the understanding of the experts in the Law that were trying to trap Him.

Does anyone think that Jesus' response would be to advocate that the woman be stoned had the Pharisees presented him with the witnesses and/or the adulterer in person?

Matthew 9:13
13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.​

John 8:11
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.​

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Just realized I hadn't responded to this yet. Lets dig in:

Of course they do. They derive their authority from God and are answerable for how that authority is used.

So a government has the authority to make a law that says, "Every morning before you leave for work, you must pat your head and rub your belly for five minutes on your front porch"? :AMR:

No. They do not have the authority to make laws. Just like you can't make a new law that defines how physics work, so too it is impossible to make a law that redefines what is good and evil.

The problem is in revealed. Who determines what that looks like? Across cultures and faiths man fashions very similar laws, especially on fundamental truths and protections.

Because God wrote His law upon man's hearts.

Even the lawless, while doing unlawful things, will recognize that it's wrong to take money from them, or to steal their woman.

Actually, it's what stabilizes it. Other governments have fallen to civil war where we have managed peaceful transitions and revolutions in our thinking and actions as a people. Not that we haven't come perilously close to undoing it from time to time.

So the lack of a guarantee of stability is what stabilizes our government? :dunce:

Our government is on a downward spiral into wickedness, with extremely little chance of ever becoming righteous.

I didn't only note the irreversibility problem, but sure. Then it's a problem for us. Because as hard as we've tried, even going beyond eyewitness accounts required in antiquity, we've gotten it wrong. People have made mistakes that cost others their lives. Even honest mistakes. And therein lies the inherent problem and my objection. We take what we have no right to take and cannot compensate the individual in any sense for that taking.

And here's the problem with your argument.

I agree, people make mistakes. In fact, it's practically a guarantee that someone somewhere in ANY legal system will make some sort of mistake, because man is fallible. But that doesn't mean you get rid of God's commands. In fact, it's BECAUSE we try to improve on what God said to do, or even ignore it altogether, that we bring unnecessary harm to the innocent and put a burden on the people. God's ways are righteous, and following them puts the least amount of harm on the innocent and the most amount of justice on the criminal. That should be the model we base our justice system on. Our current system DOES NOT DO THAT. It takes the burden off of the criminals and puts it on the innocent, while at the same time allowing the number of crimes to increase.

Again, the problem with your argument is that we have no right to object to God's commands on how justice is served, no matter how nice you want to be, and as a result of trying to be nice, proponents have unwittingly condemned more innocent people to be harmed than if they had just followed God's command.

God promises that the death penalty is a reliable deterrent for crime.

Now the man who acts presumptuously and will not heed the priest who stands to minister there before the Lord your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall put away the evil from Israel.And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously. - Deuteronomy 17:12-13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy17:12-13&version=NKJV

The only reason it isn't is that criminals spend a lifetime waiting for death, instead of being executed quickly. Wise King Solomon said:

Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. - Ecclesiastes 8:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes8:11&version=NKJV

I'm cutting out the system critique and popular misconceptions about it. I disagree and we can take that up elsewhere if you want. I've written on it at length in other threads and I'm ready to defend the best system going, flaws and all, but not here for the sake of space and to remain on point.

I know this will sound crazy to you, but we literally couldn't field enough judges and prosecutors to do what you want to do with our population.

Sure we could. It might sound crazy to you, but all a King would need to do is what Moses did here:

So Moses’ father-in-law said to him, “The thing that you do is not good.Both you and these people who are with you will surely wear yourselves out. For this thing is too much for you; you are not able to perform it by yourself.Listen now to my voice; I will give you counsel, and God will be with you: Stand before God for the people, so that you may bring the difficulties to God.And you shall teach them the statutes and the laws, and show them the way in which they must walk and the work they must do.Moreover you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.And let them judge the people at all times. Then it will be that every great matter they shall bring to you, but every small matter they themselves shall judge. So it will be easier for you, for they will bear the burden with you.If you do this thing, and God so commands you, then you will be able to endure, and all this people will also go to their place in peace.”So Moses heeded the voice of his father-in-law and did all that he had said.And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people: rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.So they judged the people at all times; the hard cases they brought to Moses, but they judged every small case themselves. - Exodus 18:17-26 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus18:17-26&version=NKJV

There are about 325,000,000 people in the US currently. The head of the household would be responsible for matters of the house. Judges would not be excluded from being judged.

10:1 - 10 households to 1 "judge over ten"
100:1 - 100 households to 1 "judge over a hundred"
1,000:1 - 1000 households to 1 "judge over a thousand" (39,200 +/- a hundred or so judges for California at this point all part of the population)
Depending on the state's population, (such as for California) there could be another level or two of judges, "judge over ten thousand" and "judge over a hundred thousand".
To continue using CA as an example, to go from this point there would be about 393 judges, over which there would be 40 judges (one judge would only have three judges under him, the other 39 would have 10 each), over which there would be four judges (10 each), over which would be the judge over the state. 50 state-level judges would have 5 judges over them (10:1), and those 5 would report to one judge under the King, if not the King himself.

We actually have restitution in addition to other punishment for property offenses.

The restitution implemented in our current system is unjust. To put it in a nutshell, the government shouldn't get anything that is owed to the victim.

I'm just taking a few points as asides here...

I understand.

and when you have the DP for rape you mostly if inadvertently encourage rapists to kill their victims, which is one reason we took that off the plate a while back. It helped.

Could you please provide the statistics for the years leading up to and immediately following the removal of the DP for rape, along with the range of wait times for death to actually come to the rapist (either via old age or actual execution)?

As horrible as rape is, I suspect most of the victims would prefer to live beyond it.

They would rather their rapist be punished appropriately, so that they don't have to put up with their rapist mocking them and tormenting for the next however many years while he is pampered in prison.

It's more merciful to the victim to put the rapist to death, than to allow him to live and be able to mock his victcims.

Capital punishment for adultery is a really bad idea for any number of reasons, though I understand its utility when it was the rule of law.

Look at you, calling God's righteous standard "a really bad idea." :mock:

I don't agree that being imprisoned isn't punishment.

It's not that it isn't punishment, it's that it isn't sufficient enough punishment for any crime.

I doubt anyone in prison agrees with that either.

Putting misbehaving children in the same group together in the classroom is a poor idea of punishment for them. Why do you think it would be any better for adults?

Sure it can. The day you're imprisoned should come swiftly.

But then criminal sits in a jail cell for however long still being punished for what he did.

Execute justice swiftly, and there won't be a crime epidemic. Prison sentences are not swift.

Heck, by your scale one really quick, hard lash is more meaningful that ten over a few minutes. Or, it's a scale argument that I think fails when you start picking at it.

My point is that a short and swift punishment is far better than a long prison sentence.

How long does it take, normally, for someone who has been caught after committing a crime to even get into the courtroom, let alone actually sentenced? A day? two? A week? A month? A year? And people wonder why crime runs rampant in our society.

A verdict should be given by the judge within 48 hours of the criminal being caught, and the punishment should be executed within 24 hours of sentencing.

Here's why short and swift is better:

It's by far easier to remember 15 seconds of pain on one's backside from a few lashes, than it is to remember 5 years of sitting around doing practically nothing. And if he remembers the pain, then the criminal is far more likely to remember why he received the pain, which was that he was being punished for a crime. And in remembering that pain, he will not (unless he's mentally ill) want to experience that pain again, and in not wanting to experience the pain again, he won't commit the crime again.

That's a textbook definition of a deterrent.

Imprisonment is not a deterrent, in the same way that being offered free room and board, food, drink, medicine, legal representation, entertainment, gym membership, etc, are not deterrets.

How many of the capital crimes that were committed several years, even decades ago, if I were to list the criminals who committed them for you, would you be able to remember? None?

What if these same criminals did the same crimes, were caught, convicted, and then executed for their crimes within 48 hours? Would you be able to put a face to the crime committed?

Would that not be a deterrent to wannabe criminals to not commit those same crimes?

No and I've told you more than that. Rather, because the DP is uniquely irreversible, because there is no recompense for the failure

Not in our current system, of course not. There's absolutely ZERO accountability in our legal system. In this system of ours, if a judge hands down a bad judgment onto the one who is suspected of committing the crime, while they're actually innocent, he just says, "well I'm not the one who came up with the verdict, the jury did," and he points his fingers at the empty benches of the jury panel, of which the members have already dissipated into the faceless crowd.

I mean, who thought it would be a good idea to have a panel of (is it 12?) completely random, unbiased people to determine whether someone did something wrong?

· Justice by committee is a failure. Judges must once again become responsible for courtroom results.
· Juries have no accountability. Group action creates excuses and tends to dilute responsibility.
· A murderer prefers a committee to a judge, knowing that a jury increases his chance to evade justice.
· The wrongly accused stands a better chance of exoneration from a trained judge than an amateur jury.
· Even an evil judge has a reputation to consider, but a jury disbands into nonexistence.
· Men have been sold a bill of goods supposing that security lies in justice by committee.
· The criminal justice system must protect the innocent from, not subject them to, the public.
· Judges cannot be held accountable for jury decisions, but can be prosecuted for negligent bench
verdicts.
· The jury selection process typically involves seeking the most uninformed and apathetic.
· Systematic government accountability should exist where feasible.
· Today, a chain of accountability exists for a toilet purchase, but none for a kidnapper’s trial.
· Criminal justice ranks as government’s primary responsibility, thus courts need accountability.
· If a jury wrongly lets a murderer go to kill again, there is no accountability procedure.

AND because when we take an innocent life we inadvertently do that which we have no right to do, understanding that I object to it. I'm pretty sure I've set those out prior.

Then the goal should be reducing the number of innocent people who are put through the legal system.

The current system puts a burden on the people. In other words, more innocent people have to deal with the legal system than is appropriate. This results in few resources being available to combat crime, which leads to higher crime rates... I feel like I've mentioned this before, have I not?... which leads to more strain on the system, which makes it harder to process the small stuff, which puts burden on the people, which results in few resources to combat crime... Ad nauseum.

The system in Exodus 18, along with the criminal laws in the first five books of the Bible, reduces the burden, and the feedback loop it creates lessens the number of innocent people in the system at any given time, and coupled with judges who are accountable for their judgments, there will be very few innocent people who are caught up in the system on accident, while being able to handle the actual criminals with ease.

It helps if you wait for an answer. I know you were dying to use the mock and vomit emoji, but you jumped the gun and the shark with that one. Otherwise, answered above.

God tells you that governments derive their authority from Him.

Agreed.

Christ told his subjects and Paul told early Christians to obey and render. That was Rome they were speaking of and it wasn't in line with Mosaic law either.

And your point is? My point is that governments in the Bible that imprisoned people were always wicked governments. NO good authority in the Bible (of which there were very few) ever imprisoned their criminals, as far as I'm aware.

YES, we should respect the government. That doesn't make what they do righteous.

I'm also omitting the "Who are you" attempt to make it about me as a king instead of some guy giving an opinion, which is all I actually am. A reasoned and considered opinion, hopefully, but nothing more. I don't even have puffy sleeves, let alone a sceptre.

Look, I haven't pressured you once on taking all the time in the world to make whatever points you want to make, but I'm not going back over conversations that go on a bit unless you point to something with a quote.

:idunno:

I'm not pressuring you either. Just stating the fact that the conversation is there for you to go back and look through it if you need to.

Look JR, I know you'd rather make this about me, because then you can do the emojis and hand wave dismissal, but it isn't and I've answered on this point prior. You're misrepresenting me. So make your case or not, but leave off making mine and getting it wrong. God changes how we relate to Him. He's done it a few times. And the impact of that can be remarkable.

God's righteous standard HAS NOT CHANGED. execution is still the appropriate punishment for punishment for murder, regardless of how God interacts with us.

You need to show where in scripture that God has revoked the death penalty for capital crimes if you want to make the case that God doesn't require it anymore.

Ask the woman who was to be stoned. Ask Paul.

Paul says if he had done anything worthy of death, he would not have objected to dying.

Jesus did not repeal the death penalty when confronted with the Pharisees's rather feeble attempt at tricking Him into breaking Roman law.

In fact, if you read my post to Eider above, you'll see that even throughout the NT, capital punishment is still promoted, not condemned.

You left out the woman caught committing adultery.

You left out the part where Jesus repealed the death penalty for adulterers/adulteresses.

Jesus, being God, has the authority to pardon criminals. God never gave authorities permission to show mercy on criminals. In fact, it was forbidden for a judge to show mercy on a criminal for any reason. Jesus showing mercy on the woman (even though He knew she was guilty) is within his purview as God.

Christ looked right at her and knew she was guilty. Remember that stoning?

Again, Jesus saw right through the Pharisees' attempt to trick Him into violating Roman law, which was that only Roman authorities could sentence a criminal to death.

In addition to that, those who brought the woman (and rather obviously not the man she was caught with, if any at all) were, as implied by Jesus saying "he who is without sin cast the first stone," calling them out on their hypocrisy, probably guilty of being adulterers themselves, and probably with the woman.

I don't either.

Still isn't about me.

You're saying that God didn't require blood for blood and a life for a life in the OT? Or are you laboring under the impression that the law wasn't a purely moral instrument? If not I think you can pull that together without a map.

No, I'm making the distinction between punishments for crime (restitution, flogging, execution) and requirements for washing away sin (not crime).

All crime is sin. But not all sin is crime.

It's a sin to have another god above God, but it's not a crime. It's both a crime and a sin to murder. Only murder is punishable by law, and the the other required a sacrifice of an animal.

It was NEVER required, forbidden, even, to sacrifice a human for the cleansing of sin (again, sin, not crime).

Moses didn't bring down the tablets to take them back to Egypt.

Duh.

They were the law of His people. He set them apart. He also used them to teach the world a number of things, including our inability to meet the law.

And yet...

For several hundred years after Cain killed Abel, God said NO death penalty for criminals. What followed that was God repenting for even making man, and wanting to wipe man out and start over, but Noah found grace in the eyes of God, because he was a righteous man.

And IMMEDIATELY following the Flood, ONE OF THE VERY FIRST THINGS God does is implement the death penalty for murderers. (Genesis 9:6)

Which means that everyone since Noah and his three sons has been under that law, which God has never since repealed.

And even so, Cain knew immediately that what he did was wrong, and feared that if someone were to find him, they would kill him for what he did to his brother. He feared death because he killed his brother.

So again I ask, is "Do not murder" an absolute law?

Take that one up with Jesus and the woman he sent on her way with an admonishment. I'm fairly certain that wasn't the proscribed punishment.

See above.

And so are you.

So am I what?

Without a law there is no criminal. Without a moral law there is no sin. So the law creates both the sinner and the saint. It is therefore a thing for both, as without it they cannot be defined and distinguished.

Incorrect.

What I said, that the law is not for the righteous, but for the lawless?

That's straight out of 1 Timothy:

But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully,knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust. - 1 Timothy 1:8-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Timothy1:8-11&version=NKJV

Yes, the law is a tutor that leads one to Christ. But that doesn't make it for the righteous (aka, the believer). I'm gonna stick with what Paul said there, and not what you said, that it's for both the lawless and the righteous.

That's a fine declaration, but there's no objective truth in it. A man must respect and believe in eternality first. And a man who does that shouldn't be found within the camp of murderers outside of a failing on the point he must recognize without the penalty attaching to it.

Paul says this:

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake.For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing.Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor. - Romans 13:1-7 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans13:1-7&version=NKJV

If a person doesn't fear the authority, then he has no fear of God, because the authority is God's minister.

Again, restitution is a part of most criminal offenses involving property, to the extent it is possible.

See my comment above on our current system's "restitution."

Mercy is a part of His nature too, and where that mercy meets justice we find grace and the once unfathomable thing that follows it.

What does that have to do with what I said? What's your point?

I believe you believe that. I just think you're wrong on the point.

Huh? How does that response make any sense? I said what I'm going to do, not what I believe in doing...

If you want to know what I believe I'll tell you. If you want to use it for a, "No! This is what it means." I'm not interested. Let me know. I'm also fine with, "I don't read it that way. To me it is..."

:idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So a government has the authority to make a law that says, "Every morning before you leave for work, you must pat your head and rub your belly for five minutes on your front porch"? :AMR:
To make any law. That's within its authority and it's answerable for it. Speeding, taxes, laws relating to person and property. That sort of thing.

No. They do not have the authority to make laws.
That's contrary to Jesus' teaching when he said to give Caesar what was his and it's contrary to what Paul had to say about governments, etc.

Just like you can't make a new law that defines how physics work, so too it is impossible to make a law that redefines what is good and evil.
You could, but that's not what laws of a state are. They're prohibitions against an action with consequence attached and they're obligations for process with consequence attached, and they're parameters for the exercise of defined rights.

Because God wrote His law upon man's hearts. Even the lawless, while doing unlawful things, will recognize that it's wrong to take money from them, or to steal their woman.
And yet he gave his people laws written on other things, like stone. And no one is arguing that theft is or should be legal, let alone moral, though if you're calling taxes theft you're objectively wrong and I've been over that prior.

So the lack of a guarantee of stability is what stabilizes our government? :dunce:
No, rather the mechanism that allows for peaceful changes to our direction as a nation where others would and have resorted to violent upheavals accounts for our comparative longevity as a democracy among our fellows. We have put in place the means to evolve as a society. Sometimes we get it wrong, as we have with abortion, and that can be corrected with enough persuasion, as with the Civil Rights movement and subsequent law.

Our government is on a downward spiral into wickedness, with extremely little chance of ever becoming righteous.
Every generation thinks and says that, but then we look back and think, "Man, I can't believe they thought that while they were owning people," or excluding them from rights that should have been theirs, etc.

And here's the problem with your argument. I agree, people make mistakes.
So you design a system to address it, which we have.

In fact, it's practically a guarantee that someone somewhere in ANY legal system will make some sort of mistake, because man is fallible. But that doesn't mean you get rid of God's commands.
It would only be a problem in a religious state, which we don't have, and one that was operating under the OT form of Mosaic law.

In fact, it's BECAUSE we try to improve on what God said to do, or even ignore it altogether, that we bring unnecessary harm to the innocent and put a burden on the people.
We've actually improved on what God could require of men in the days of the OT, because they were limited in terms of proof to one of the most notoriously unreliable forms of evidence, eyewitness testimony. God couldn't have told them to perform a DNA test or to require more than they were capable of performing. God makes allowances for our limitations. It doesn't follow that we shouldn't try harder to make justice more certain.

God's ways are righteous, and following them puts the least amount of harm on the innocent and the most amount of justice on the criminal. That should be the model we base our justice system on. Our current system DOES NOT DO THAT.
I don't believe that's true or that you've established it as true.

It takes the burden off of the criminals and puts it on the innocent, while at the same time allowing the number of crimes to increase.
No, we presume innocence and require the state, with it's comparative staggering advantage in resources, to prove its case beyond a fairly high threshold, increasing the likelihood that we'll get it right. And in the event we don't we have established courts of appeals to look into malfeasance and error. On the plus side, most years nearly 98% of those charged with crimes admit to being guilty.

I've answered on the notion of religion and government mixture, of what I believe is a new relation between man and God as demonstrated by Christ with the woman who was to die under the law, etc. So I omit your rebroadcast and my inevitable return to my previous answers on the point.

Sure we could.
Not unless you want to break the bank or put men who aren't properly trained in positions of judgment with powers that all but guarantee a remarkably high rate of miscarriage, though I recognize that in its day it was the model of what could be done.

The restitution implemented in our current system is unjust.
No it isn't. Now what?

To put it in a nutshell, the government shouldn't get anything that is owed to the victim.
It doesn't. Now what?

Could you please provide the statistics for the years leading up to and immediately following the removal of the DP for rape, along with the range of wait times for death to actually come to the rapist (either via old age or actual execution)?
Probably, but that would take a lot of time I don't have at present, so I'd offer this compromise: consider that you're a rapist. You understand that if the victim identifies you it will mean your life. Why wouldn't you kill her? You can't be put to death twice and you may escape punishment if she is silent? If you can understand that you can understand the problem. And if even one woman is murdered because of that it's a needless death encouraged by a bad law, because we could see it coming and didn't alter our course.

They would rather their rapist be punished appropriately, so that they don't have to put up with their rapist mocking them and tormenting for the next however many years while he is pampered in prison.
So cut off his phone privileges and make his life in prison monastic, cut off.

It's more merciful to the victim to put the rapist to death, than to allow him to live and be able to mock his victcims.
Is this about mercy? It's more merciful to put a man in position that he might repent and reconsider his ways.

Look at you, calling God's righteous standard "a really bad idea." :mock:
Let's pretend for a moment that we're more interested in understanding each other than in that sort of thing. There are things, like having two people willing to testify to the truth of a matter as the standard of proof, that make perfect sense in their context but don't remain good ideas in another context. It's not about God, but about us. Jesus is a living example of that in his sacrifice.

It's not that it isn't punishment, it's that it isn't sufficient enough punishment for any crime.
I think you're wrong and that the punishment you believe better is actually lesser in many cases, though in a day when the state couldn't have imprisoned people the way we do it would be worse to command anyone to attempt it.

Putting misbehaving children in the same group together in the classroom is a poor idea of punishment for them. Why do you think it would be any better for adults?
Because the reason the former is a bad idea is that it spoils the lesson, where the latter is the lesson.

But then criminal sits in a jail cell for however long still being punished for what he did. Execute justice swiftly, and there won't be a crime epidemic. Prison sentences are not swift.
They generally are. Most don't come to trial, are resolved in relatively short order, supra.

How long does it take, normally, for someone who has been caught after committing a crime to even get into the courtroom, let alone actually sentenced? A day? two? A week? A month? A year? And people wonder why crime runs rampant in our society.
Rates of crime have actually declined as the population explosion that was the Baby Boom has aged.

A verdict should be given by the judge within 48 hours of the criminal being caught, and the punishment should be executed within 24 hours of sentencing.
Horrible idea, but I get a lot of those from laymen who aren't currently being charged with anything.

Here's why short and swift is better: It's by far easier to remember 15 seconds of pain on one's backside from a few lashes, than it is to remember 5 years of sitting around doing practically nothing. And if he remembers the pain, then the criminal is far more likely to remember why he received the pain, which was that he was being punished for a crime. And in remembering that pain, he will not (unless he's mentally ill) want to experience that pain again, and in not wanting to experience the pain again, he won't commit the crime again.
In 1960 the Cadogan Committee looked into the comparative impact and didn't find support for your idea.

Additionally:

"It also noted that the incidence of robbery with violence in England and Wales had declined steadily in the years before World War I notwithstanding infrequent and decreasing use of corporal punishment, whereas in the postwar years it had tended to increase despite a much greater and increasing resort to floggings." link

Imprisonment is not a deterrent, in the same way that being offered free room and board, food, drink, medicine, legal representation, entertainment, gym membership, etc, are not deterrets.
If that's how you think of prisons I'm reasonably sure you haven't been in one.

How many of the capital crimes that were committed several years, even decades ago, if I were to list the criminals who committed them for you, would you be able to remember? None? What if these same criminals did the same crimes, were caught, convicted, and then executed for their crimes within 48 hours? Would you be able to put a face to the crime committed?
Probably not past a small window. Who devotes their time to committing a list of people put to death in some distant municipality or state?

Would that not be a deterrent to wannabe criminals to not commit those same crimes?
There's no real empirical evidence that sustains the idea. Here's a link to a paper out of Dartmouth from 2010 that looked at it from a statistical vantage and came down with Justice Marshall, who wrote:

In light of the massive amount of evidence before us, I see no alternative but to conclude that capital punishment cannot be justified on the basis of its deterrent effect. U.S. Supreme Court, Furman v. Georgia, 1972 Link to study.

Not in our current system, of course not. There's absolutely ZERO accountability in our legal system. In this system of ours, if a judge hands down a bad judgment onto the one who is suspected of committing the crime, while they're actually innocent, he just says, "well I'm not the one who came up with the verdict, the jury did," and he points his fingers at the empty benches of the jury panel, of which the members have already dissipated into the faceless crowd.
Actually, a defendant who goes to trial gets to decide on the judge/jury as arbiters of guilt or innocence and the holding is subject to review by the appeals court on a variety of grounds. A judge who abuses discretion is subject to discipline and rulings are subject to being overturned. It's harder with juries, though not with their judgments.

I mean, who thought it would be a good idea to have a panel of (is it 12?) completely random, unbiased people to determine whether someone did something wrong?
Anyone who has studied their use. The point is to get a thing right and juries mostly do that, which is why their verdicts overwhelmingly hold up on appeal. The last time I saw national figures it was around 7 to 8% reversal on appeals. Appellate courts reject all but around 10% of convictions from which that sliver of reversal is noted. Couldn't find the data I'd seen quickly, but here's a confirming note on the point in an article in Prison Legal News. link

Then the goal should be reducing the number of innocent people who are put through the legal system.
We do that by standards. The conviction rates attest to it.

The current system puts a burden on the people. In other words, more innocent people have to deal with the legal system than is appropriate.
I believe you believe it, but there's no empirical support for it.

This results in few resources being available to combat crime, which leads to higher crime rates... I feel like I've mentioned this before, have I not?... which leads to more strain on the system, which makes it harder to process the small stuff, which puts burden on the people, which results in few resources to combat crime... Ad nauseum.
Well, no. Communities decide about resource allocation for prosecutors and the system isn't suffering from a want of funding, though you could throw more money at anything, if you don't mind a bump in taxes or cutting something extraneous, like military spending beyond our borders that isn't matched by others who benefit.

And your point is? My point is that governments in the Bible that imprisoned people were always wicked governments.
Given there was only one good one that's a little misleading. And the one good one had kings who committed murder with legal impunity, though God held them accountable.

NO good authority in the Bible (of which there were very few) ever imprisoned their criminals, as far as I'm aware.
Or approved or even discussed glasses, indoor plumbing, etc.

YES, we should respect the government. That doesn't make what they do righteous.
Not my argument.

God's righteous standard HAS NOT CHANGED. execution is still the appropriate punishment for punishment for murder, regardless of how God interacts with us.
I say you're wrong for the reasons given prior. The problem is that you can see God altering a standard, as with ceremonial proscription, but you decide that everything else, especially what serves your sense of justice, is inviolate. I don't agree and I think Christ's actions contradict your position.

Paul says if he had done anything worthy of death, he would not have objected to dying.
Okay.

Jesus did not repeal the death penalty when confronted with the Pharisees's rather feeble attempt at tricking Him into breaking Roman law.
So you're saying he was more concerned with the Roman law than with doing what you call unalterably right? The woman was guilty of an offense that should have ended with her death under the law.

You left out the part where Jesus repealed the death penalty for adulterers/adulteresses.
Not if you were paying attention. No.

Jesus, being God, has the authority to pardon criminals.
Now you're getting there.

God never gave authorities permission to show mercy on criminals.
He absolutely did, both in Romans and in person by example. A house divided will not stand. A capricious judge is a wicked one.

All crime is sin. But not all sin is crime.
True.

It was NEVER required, forbidden, even, to sacrifice a human for the cleansing of sin (again, sin, not crime).
You're wrong. As death was required and the act that sponsored it was a sin the only reparation (cleansing is another thing) or payment for the sin was death. It was a moral judgment.

You asked a question. I answered it. Duh to your heart's content, I guess...no idea why, but there you go.

For several hundred years after Cain killed Abel, God said NO death penalty for criminals.
Where did He say that? Where is that even implied. Or, where is any legal system addressed during that time?

So am I what?
I'm not going to keep jumping back. Read the context around the comment. If it's really something you think is hidden I'll look.

Incorrect.
Isn't.

What I said, that the law is not for the righteous, but for the lawless?
If you don't break a law it's just writing. It's not for you. All prohibitive law is aimed at the violator.

Paul says this:
I know what Paul said. I noted some of it, along with additional scripture.

See my comment above on our current system's "restitution."
The one you got wrong?

What does that have to do with what I said? What's your point?
I don't believe that comment was veiled, so I'm at a loss to help you any more concisely.

Huh? How does that response make any sense? I said what I'm going to do, not what I believe in doing...
Okay, one time then. You wrote:

I stick to what Scripture actually says, not what I want to believe it says.
I believe you believe that's what you do. I also believe you're wrong for the reasons offered prior and supra.

Last edited: