The Hollywood Elite and the Academy Awards

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
ok, well regardless I don't think your theory makes sense even in light of how it happened. There wasn't a card that said La La Land won and then they changed it. Or had multiple cards for Best Picture with different winners. The card the presenter had was for Emma Stone, who was in La La Land, so LLL got announced and it was later corrected.

Needless to say, it was announced that those PWC employees won't be working any future Oscars. I wonder if PWC itself will be asked back.

Regarding the Oscar itself, I was so happy that Moonlight won. La La Land was fun for the escapism that it was, and I enjoyed it a lot. But Moonlight is something extraordinary, and it deserved the win. I wish they'd been able to enjoy the moment to the fullest, but that opportunity was taken away from them by the sequence of events.

I put some of the blame on Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, too. Between the two of them, they didn't have the presence of mind to step back from the microphone and take another look at the ballot before Faye blurted out the wrong winner.

Interestingly: I like typography so I regularly get things related to it in my newsfeed, and there was an article about how bad the typography was on the ballot and how the writer of the article would have designed it to lessen a chance of having a mistake get to the point of being read out loud. They made some good points. :)

Jerry Shugart

I put some of the blame on Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, too.

Yes, if Warren wasn't so vain he would have been wearing his reading glasses and he would have known at a glance that the card he was reading was not the right one. And that probably goes for Faye also.

I admire Warren for his artistic ability, having made two of the greatest films of my generation ("Bonney and Clyde" and "Heaven Can Wait") but when it comes to his political opinions I do not think that he can relate to the people on mainstreet--just like most of the Hollywood Elite.

They are more like Marie-Antoinette when she supposedly said the following when she was told that the French people had no bread to eat:

"Let them eat cake."