ECT The Broken Record of MAD

Right Divider

Body part
"And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise." (Galatians 3:29 NET)
Romans 4:16 NET For this reason it is by faith so that it may be by grace, with the result that the promise may be certain to all the descendants - not only to those who are under the law, but also to those who have the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all.​
Neither the old covenant nor the new covenant are "according to promise".

The covenant referred to in Gal 3:8-9 is the one in Genesis 17 and not the one in Exodus 19.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think they do, but the problem is they have taken bits and pieces from Paul's letters and made them into their doctrine while ignoring other teachings of Paul.
Paul did indeed teach on the gospel of the kingdom that was prophesied by the prophets (ie. not hidden).
The things that differ are Paul's teaching on the gospel of grace that was not prophesied by the prophets (ie. hidden).

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I may be wrong but I do not believe Madist believe there is a new covenant as per the New testament.

MADists don't hold to Covenant theology. It's a key difference of them from traditional churches- MADists just take the mere word and brand their heterodoxy with it whenever it's brought up :rolleyes:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The covenant referred to in Gal 3:8-9 is the one in Genesis 17 and not the one in Exodus 19.

Bottom line: "And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise."

If you belong to Christ, the King of Israel, then you are a citizen of the Israel of God.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Covenant theology is a Calvinist conceptual overview and interpretive framework for understanding the overall flow of the Bible. It uses the theological concept of a covenant as an organizing principle for Christian theology.

Covenantal theology is a Roman Catholic approach to biblical theology, emphasizing a return or recovery of the Patristic model of scriptural interpretation. It employs a covenant-centric structural framework to interpret and understand the whole of scripture and thus salvation history.

MADism does not use a covenant theology by it's very nature, as it splits the Bible, it's history, and it's adherents.
It is not universal.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
THAT covenant is NEITHER the old covenant NOR the new covenant.

There are several covenants in the scripture.

Only one gospel.

The gospel.

In Galatians 3:8-9 NET Paul instructed the congregation by saying, "The scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, proclaimed the gospel to Abraham ahead of time, saying, 'All the nations will be blessed in you.'

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Neither the old covenant nor the new covenant are "according to promise".

Hebrews 6:13
For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

Hebrews 6:16
For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.

If you're gonna end all strife with this statement, I'm all ears.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
In the context of the NT those of faithful Abraham are reckoned by faith, no longer by lineage.

In Galatians 3:29 NET Paul said, "And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise."

If you belong to the King of Israel then you are part of Israel.

You have your opinion and Paul has his opinion.
False dichotomy.

Just as Abraham was the father of us all, not just Israel [those of the law] but also those of faith God is the Father of us all and not just Israel alone.

Of course not, we are flesh of his flesh and bone of his bone.

In Ephesians 5:30 Paul explains, "For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones."

We are the personification of Christ on earth today.

"This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church." (Ephesians 5:32)
Then why the accusation?

I think they do, but the problem is they have taken bits and pieces from Paul's letters and made them into their doctrine while ignoring other teachings of Paul.

They also conflate Jesus' teaching to the Jews of his day with Jesus' teachings after his resurrection as if there is no difference.

:kookoo:

1. What teachings of Paul are we ignoring?
  2. There is a difference between what Jesus and the 12 preached before the cross and what He sent them to preach after His ascension.
  3. Do you like being wrong, because you do it here every day.

You caught that also.

They for some reason confuse themselves on what scripture actually teaches.
I was told by at least one Madist that the Gospel; of grace is NOT a covenant.
Is it a covenant? Where does the Bible say it is?

Bottom line: "And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to the promise."

If you belong to Christ, the King of Israel, then you are a citizen of the Israel of God.
False dichotomy.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
False dichotomy.

Just as Abraham was the father of us all, not just Israel [those of the law] but also those of faith God is the Father of us all and not just Israel alone.

Paul wrote to those who knew the law.

He never called them those of the law.

Is it a covenant? Where does the Bible say it is?

Yes it's a covenant of promise.

It's the law that was not a covenant of promise.

False dichotomy.

Ephesians 2:19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Paul wrote to those who knew the law.

He never called them those of the law.
Romans 4:14-16

Yes it's a covenant of promise.
Scripture?

It's the law that was not a covenant of promise.
Still a covenant.

Ephesians 2:19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Doesn't make us Israel.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Paul wasn't writing to those of the law.
Agreed.

Those of the law are not Israel.
Then who are they?

He never called those he was writing to: "those of the law."
Agreed.

Does this help clear up what I said?
I suppose.

Already gave it to Right Divider.
Where? I don't generally read posts addressed to people other than myself.

Never said it wasn't, are you even reading the thread?
I was trying to indicate that the "of promise" was irrelevant to the issue at hand; which is whether or not the gospel of grace is a covenant.

Faith does. :)
Scripture?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Agreed.

Then who are they?

Paul didn't elaborate.

Romans 9:6
Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

Except that they could get back in...

Romans 11:24
For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Where? I don't generally read posts addressed to people other than myself.

Right above your last post to Jamie.

I was trying to indicate that the "of promise" was irrelevant to the issue at hand; which is whether or not the gospel of grace is a covenant.

If you had been reading the thread you would realize that that is not the issue at hand.

Scripture?

Jamie already gave it to you.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hebrews 6:13
For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

Hebrews 6:16
For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.

If you're gonna end all strife with this statement, I'm all ears.
1Head just rolled out of bed !! :rotfl: