The AENT John 8:13

daqq

It reads;

I told you that you will die in your sins,for unless you believe that I am you will die in your sins.

The note for this verse reads;

In Semitic thought, the phrase "Ena-na" (I am) conveys a thought of eternal existence reserved only for Elohim.

For those of you who doubt Jesus was saying He was the I AM of Exodus 3:14, what do you have to say?

There was a BAN on saying the Name the Father in that time. It was illegal to pronounce the Name of the Father out loud in public. It was not even pronounced at the temple except by the High Priest on Yom Kippurim. However "I am" is used all over the place, as a very common phrase, even in the scripture concerning people who are not Yeshua. If the Name of the Father was the same they would never, never, have treated it with such disrespect. It would have been illegal to say "I am" no matter what you needed to say, (they would have no doubt used some other terminology). "I am" is not the Name of the Father. If you look in the Septuagint translation by Sir Lancelot Brenton you will see this to be the case when it comes to the Greek version of Exodus 3:14, ("HO ON" = "THE BEING", not "ego eimi" which is "I am"), so even the Greek ego eimi is not the Name of the Father but rather just a very common phrase used in everyday language by everyday common people. The "I am" statements have been turned into a "special pleading" argument which basically says, "Whenever Jesus says 'I am' it means he is claiming to be God; but whenever someone else says 'I am' it is the normative understanding of the basic words in common everyday usage". These are the kinds of arguments, (special pleading), which come about when there is no real solid evidence to prove a theory. This particular theory falls flat on its face when one realizes and accepts the fact that it was utterly illegal to even pronounce the Name of the Father in public in those times. There is no way that the Name of the Father was an everyday common usage expression such as "I am".

Q. "Hi, I am looking to buy a pair of bullock-hide sandals I saw here the other day."
A. "Oy vey! Call the quaternion: another foreigner just blasphemed in my store!"

:Nineveh:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Did Jesus speak Aramaic?
It is generally agreed that Jesus and his disciples primarily spoke Aramaic, the common language of Judea in the first century AD, most likely a Galilean dialect distinguishable from that of Jerusalem. The towns of Nazareth and Capernaum in Galilee, where Jesus spent most of his time, were Aramaic-speaking communities.
Language of Jesus - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_Jesus

Yes thankyou.
I'm familiar with that.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Again use of the phrase Ena-na which conveys the thought of eternal self existence (Elohim)

There is no difference between eternal self-existence and immortality.

Only God is immortal. Only God has eternal life.

The sons of God born of the Spirit have eternal life.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no difference between eternal self-existence and immortality.

Only God is immortal. Only God has eternal life.

The sons of God born of the Spirit have eternal life.

You are right and that is what "Ena-na" refers to, the immortal eternal God.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Currently there are two who are immortal, eternal God, but many more are coming. They are just waiting to be born of Spirit.

Yes, but God is eternal. He had no beginning, the uncaused cause. Everything else is created.

keypurr

In saying that Jesus is not God you disagree with John 1:1, 14 and 1 John 1:1-2. And that is only the beginning from what I see in the AENT translations. What scriptures do I disagree with
Nope, I don't. Jesus was a man the logos in him is a spirit. The spirit became flesh in the body of Jesus. That spirit is the true son that laid the foundations of the worlds.

Sent from my A622GL using TheologyOnline mobile app