Take away Americans guns

PureX

GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns

Senate Republicans rejected a bill that aims to stop suspected terrorists from legally buying guns, on Thursday. The vote came a day after at least 14 people were killed during the San Bernardino massacre in California by two suspects, including a woman said to have pledged allegiance to ISIS.

Forty-five senators voted for the bill and 54 voted against it. One Democrat, Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, and one Republican, Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, crossed party lines.

The measure would have denied people on the terrorist watch list the ability to buy guns.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who sponsored the legislation, argued that former President George W. Bush initially proposed the legislation in 2007, and the Obama administration also supports it.

“If you need proof that Congress is a hostage to the gun lobby, look no further than today’s vote blocking a bill to prevent known or suspected terrorists from buying guns and explosives,” she said. “Congress has been paralyzed by the gun lobby for years, while more and more Americans are killed in mass shootings. The carnage won’t stop until Congress finds the courage to stand up to the gun lobby and protect the nation.”

written: Dec. 2015

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The pro-gun arguments are based on this very idea, whether or not it is an exaggeration: "I need a gun to defend myself, because everybody else has one."
That's not true. It's more like, "I have the right to arm myself, because I am alive, and that means I have the right to live, and that means I have the right to defend myself." It's the epitome of the notion of right, is the right to live, and therefore is the right to defend oneself, and therefore is also therefore the right to keep and bear arms.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Senate Republicans rejected a bill that aims to stop suspected terrorists from legally buying guns, on Thursday. The vote came a day after at least 14 people were killed during the San Bernardino massacre in California by two suspects, including a woman said to have pledged allegiance to ISIS.

WE DO NOT WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO HAVE AUTHORITY TO TAKE PEOPLE'S GUNS AWAY.

It is not hard to understand- a patriot, or a law abiding citizen with a grievance could be seen as a 'threat'.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
On the global scale, we work VERY HARD at keeping nukes out of the hands of lunatics. You might even call it "nuke control". We do this because we recognize that it's insane to let lunatics have weapons of mass destruction.
So? We do the same with guns. That's exactly what we do.
Yet the NRA, the republican party, and the Christians right can't seem to grasp this simple fact of reality.
Unless you're going to fill in the blanks for us as to what you mean by those loaded and ambiguous terms I have to receive them as three straw men.
As, apparently, you have not.
Wow, nice dig.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The shooter in Orlando had been investigated twice by the FBI, but because the republicans had voted against a law that would have denied him the ability to buy guns because he was on a 'watch list', he was able to buy the very guns he used to kill all those people.

So as it turns out, this is all quite relevant to Orlando. In fact, this particular incident has embarrassed the republican legislators to such a degree that they are now backing down on their desire to deny that legislation.
The only word in this post that made any sense was "embarrassed." I feel you.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

It is not hard to understand- a patriot, or a law abiding citizen with a grievance could be seen as a 'threat'.
We are the government, the government is us, there's no distinction. We don't want to take our own guns away from us.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
We are the government, the government is us, there's no distinction. We don't want to take our own guns away from us.

No, we are not the government. We have the power to vote, and that is our control on it. As for the government putting patriots on watch lists- that is something you can do nothing about.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
No, we are not the government. We have the power to vote, and that is our control on it. As for the government putting patriots on watch lists- that is something you can do nothing about.
In the jury box on a criminal trial, we have the power to unilaterally and without consequence nullify the law. That's power the government doesn't have. That doesn't make juries part of government, and it has nothing to do with what I posted. But public servants come from us; they are us.

northwye

Oath enlisted men take: "I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Oath that Officers take: "I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Anyone who advocates taking away the rights granted by one of the ten Amendments to the Constitution can be seen as a domestic enemy of the Constitution.

The oath is for an indeterminate period; no duration is specifically defined.

northwye

Isaiah 10: 1-2: "Woe unto them that decree unrighteous decrees, and that write grievousness which they have prescribed; 2. To turn aside the needy from judgment, and to take away the right from the poor of my people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless!"

Lamentations 3: 35-36 "To turn aside the right of a man before the face of the most High,
36. To subvert a man in his cause, the Lord approveth not. "

Luke 22: 35-36: "And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

"Every citizen shall have the right to bear arms in defence of himself and the republic. The
military shall at all times and in all cases be subordinate to the civil
power." Constitution of the Republic of Texas.

"Every person shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful
defence of himself or the State, under such regulations as the legislature
may prescribe." Texas State
Constitution.

Missouri: That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person
and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall
not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed
weapons.

Wisconsin: The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Wyoming: The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of
the state shall not be denied.

The following states have no explicit state constitutional right to bear arms:

California
Iowa
Maryland
Minnesota
New Jersey
New York

Source: http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

The individual right to own guns is implied in the Federal Second Amendment.

PureX

Should known terrorist sympathizers, drug addicts, drunks, criminals, domestic abusers and mentally unstable people be allowed to have guns? If not, who is going to take them away from them, and/or make sure they don't have access to them?

Or do you simply not care how many innocent people they kill each year so long as no one can ever regulate your gun ownership or use?

PureX

The only word in this post that made any sense was "embarrassed." I feel you.

Forty-five senators voted for the bill and 54 voted against it. One Democrat, Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, and one Republican, Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, crossed party lines.

The measure would have denied people on the terrorist watch list the ability to buy guns.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who sponsored the legislation, argued that former President George W. Bush initially proposed the legislation in 2007, and the Obama administration also supports it.

“If you need proof that Congress is a hostage to the gun lobby, look no further than today’s vote blocking a bill to prevent known or suspected terrorists from buying guns and explosives,” she said. “Congress has been paralyzed by the gun lobby for years, while more and more Americans are killed in mass shootings. The carnage won’t stop until Congress finds the courage to stand up to the gun lobby and protect the nation.”

written: Dec. 2015

PureX

The ideal world of the Christian right ...

13450174_1035092489938580_5555835300706258193_n.jpg

This is complete exaggeration.
Is it? How many gun-wielding citizens are too many, do you think?