Synagogue shooting and antisemitism

rexlunae

It certainly dominated the media coverage

Well, the whole march was organized by Jason Kessler, a noted white supremacist, and a white supremacist killed Heather Heyer and injured a bunch of other people by ramming his car into them.

If you show up at an event organized by a white supremacist with the intention of joining it, I'm probably going to assume you are one yourself.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
In the context of the murders at a Pittsburgh synagogue a few days ago, I am wondering what TOL'ers think about antisemitism in the US. Do you think is is common? Is it different than other types of hate or general xenophobia?

I am a little surprised that nobody mentioned this shooting here until now. Not even in the context of gun control (unless I missed a post somewhere).

Chair
In the context of gun control.

I know of no better way to respect Jewish people, than to respect their inalienable right to keep and bear arms. We do not do this in this country, and we should. Aggression is outlawed, and on top of that we have 'hate crime' laws that increase penalties when aggression is deemed motivated by attitudes like antisemitism, the laws are already doing even more than they can to respect and protect Jewish people. The laws that need to change are the gun control laws, that make it even a little bit more difficult for a Jewish person to acquire, keep, and carry superlative weaponry in their own, and in their families' defense.

rexlunae

In the context of gun control.

I know of no better way to respect Jewish people, than to respect their inalienable right to keep and bear arms. We do not do this in this country, and we should. Aggression is outlawed, and on top of that we have 'hate crime' laws that increase penalties when aggression is deemed motivated by attitudes like antisemitism, the laws are already doing even more than they can to respect and protect Jewish people. The laws that need to change are the gun control laws, that make it even a little bit more difficult for a Jewish person to acquire, keep, and carry superlative weaponry in their own, and in their families' defense.

Four armed police officers were shot before he was apprehended. So, you think that the four trained police couldn't stop him safely, but maybe a few random yahoos might have?

Typical irrational nonsense from the American gun cult.

Idolater

Four armed police officers were shot before he was apprehended. So, you think that the four trained police couldn't stop him safely, but maybe a few random yahoos might have?
Yeah. But I wouldn't refer to Jewish people as 'yahoos.'
We need to get more extreme in reflection to how extremely Democrat lawmakers want to contravene the Bill of Rights, which says that the right of the Jewish people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

I think having more than four guns shooting at a crazed lunatic who started shooting up a building I'm in has a better chance of stopping him than four lone policemen and a bunch of unarmed civilians.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

four trained police officers who had to come running onto the site from elsewhere

imagine how differently this would have played out if Daniel Stein, 71; Joyce Feinberg, 75; Richard Gottfried, 65; Rose Mallinger, 97; Jerry Rabinowitz, 66; brothers Cecil Rosenthal, 59, and David Rosenthal 54; husband and wife Bernice Simon, 84 and Sylvan Simon, 86; Melvin Wax, 88; and Irving Younger, 69 had all been in a position to return fire

Idolater

four trained police officers who had to come running onto the site from elsewhere

imagine how differently this would have played out if Daniel Stein, 71; Joyce Feinberg, 75; Richard Gottfried, 65; Rose Mallinger, 97; Jerry Rabinowitz, 66; brothers Cecil Rosenthal, 59, and David Rosenthal 54; husband and wife Bernice Simon, 84 and Sylvan Simon, 86; Melvin Wax, 88; and Irving Younger, 69 had all been in a position to return fire
Or any of the other Jewish people there. It would have been a mess. But the good guys would have won.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Well, I'm from New Zealand.

It would have been better if the people in the building had been armed.

Much better.

And you're of your meds.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

rexlunae

I guess that's why they build armies out of senior citizens. They have the best aim.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I guess that's why they build armies out of senior citizens. They have the best aim.

cecil and david rosenthal weren't senior citizens by any stretch of the imagination

and my 92 year old father who's still driving can handle a gun as well (and as safely) as he did when he was a teen and an officer in the army

now, my 91 year old mother? the recoil from a 45 would probably break the bones in her hand

but imagine the different outcome in that synagogue if someone on site had been able to respond with lethal force

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
cecil and david rosenthal weren't senior citizens by any stretch of the imagination

and my 92 year old father who's still driving can handle a gun as well (and as safely) as he did when he was a teen and an officer in the army

now, my 91 year old mother? the recoil from a 45 would probably break the bones in her hand

but imagine the different outcome in that synagogue if someone on site had been able to respond with lethal force
Get her something that doesn't have much kick....

Recoilless rifle, anyone? :think:

Idolater

Get her something that doesn't have much kick....

Recoilless rifle, anyone? :think:
An AR chambered in 5.56 NATO, with its unique recoil system (it's like a car's shock absorber right in the butt), is almost like shooting a 10/22.

For handguns, a .38 revolver is pretty light on recoil. Although for the size of the round, I don't think a 1911 is too much for most people. Some companies are making 1911 patterns in 9 mm also, a more manageable recoil even still.

Or a Glock. Or anything that will put pieces of metal into a bad guy fast.

fool

Hall of Fame
Are they? How small? Because it seemed like a pretty dominant "small" (???) subset.
You really think anyone that wants to leave the confederate statues up is a Nazi?

Let's just say it starts you on a path.
So everyone working in Customs and border patrol is "on a path" to be a Nazi?

rexlunae

You really think anyone that wants to leave the confederate statues up is a Nazi?

I think anyone who shows up to a protest organized by a white supremacist as a participant is suspect.

So everyone working in Customs and border patrol is "on a path" to be a Nazi?

Have you dealt with CBP in the US? If they're not Nazis, they do a pretty good impression of it, to the extent that you can in a post like that. Is guarding the border inherently like that? No. But the way it's done in this country tends to be.