SUPREME COURT EXTENDS GAY MARRIAGE NATIONWIDE

Shasta

I'm sure someone will try it, and then appeals will go up to the SCOTUS, (if it gets that far) and there it will die.

Bet you a chocolate chip cookie.

There are no clear limits on the Court's power anymore so I am not certain of what they could get away with. All they need is that swing vote and they can re-write the constitution.

seehigh

There are clear limits on the Court's power anymore so I am not certain what they could get away with. All they need is that swing vote and they can re-write the constitution.
They can only interpret the Constitution. Civics classes should have taught everyone that the Constitution can only be changed if it passes Congress and two thirds of the States sign on to that change.

Shasta

These are all valid points.
I am concerned that a sex based agenda is being taught in our elementary schools to pre-pubertal children. This seems to have as it's impetus the burgeoning of demand for legalization, forced acceptance and equal opportunity for sexual behavior of any ilk?
This is premature and out of place in the public school system.
Perhaps you will grant that whilst a legal union is granted by government for purposes of protection of all parties concerned, people of religious conviction desire the blessings of their respective churches on their "marriage" before God and the assembled company. Further we/they would like to keep the sexual education (beyond the biologic facts) of our children under our own control.

What concerns me is that it is not about simply allowing homosexuals to marry. This ruling will be taken to be a social mandate by fanatical activists who will work to make everyone not only comply with State View in practice but to agree that homosexuality is normal and healthy. Perhaps teachers will be required to sign papers to that affect or to swear an oath before a secular consistory. Any "hate speech" out of harmony with the State view will result in fine, tax levies or termination. This may sound far-fetched but I think it is a real possibility.

Shasta

They can only interpret the Constitution. Civics classes should have taught everyone that the Constitution can only be changed if it passes Congress and two thirds of the States sign on to that change.

That is the way it is supposed to be but only conservative justices think that way. To the liberal justices the constitution is a "living document" which can take any form their intuition imagines it to be. As an example, consider how the Court ignored more essential and obvious principles of a person's right to life and used the right to privacy as a basis to legalize abortion. The privacy clause had nothing to do with pregnancy or what the mother would do about it. This latest ruling was hung on full faith clause which means states honor each other's laws reciprocally but States laws differ greatly. The court's ruling if followed consistently would annul all State's rights to self government but we are in our origin a Federal system. That was the condition that was agreed to when the nation was first formed.

The thing the left either does not or will not see is that an activist court is not good for them either, for if a hard right wing Court ever comes to power they could throw off all the favorite precedents of their favorite rules and implement some stringent ones they would find very troubling.

Right now people like me are given the false comfort that the court would never do this or that but when any branch has too much power they will be tempted to use it

seehigh

That is the way it is supposed to be but only conservative justices think that way. To the liberal justices the constitution is a "living document" which can take any form their intuition imagines it to be. As an example, how did the Court get their ruling on gay marriage out of the First Amendment? The Court ignored more essential and obvious principles of a person's right to life and used the right to privacy as a basis to legalize abortion even though privacy did not concern pregnancy or what the mother would do about it.

The thing the left either does not or will not see is that an activist court is not good for them either, for if a hard right wing Court ever comes to power they could throw off all the favorite precedents of their favorite rules and implement some stringent ones they would find very troubling.

Right now people like me are given the false comfort that the court would never do this or that but when any branch has too much power they will be tempted to exceed the bounds of their authority.
You still have the freedom of speech, and you still have your freedom of religion.

Nothing changed except that same sex marriage now has the same rights as opposite sex marriage has. You didn't lose any rights, homosexual and lesbians gained rights.

How does them getting rights and you not losing any cause any concerns?

quip

BANNED
Banned
You still have the freedom of speech, and you still have your freedom of religion.

Nothing changed except that same sex marriage now has the same rights as opposite sex marriage has. You didn't lose any rights, homosexual and lesbians gained rights.

Religious political influence has taken a major hit and as such, taken a loss in power to politically conflate the two.

I'd throw a tantrum too...if I was so inclined.

seehigh

Religious political influence has taken a major hit and as such, taken a loss in power to politically conflate the two.

I'd throw a tantrum too...if I was so inclined.
Well, it's a GREAT thing that religious political influence is declining. Think of Iran if you think it's a good thing.

Religion belongs in the home, in the churches, mosques, synagogues and temples, and not in the public sphere.

Aimiel

Because if a pastor is jailed for not performing a queer wedding, because he believes that to do so he would have to surrender his faith in Christ, it's a direct attack upon Christianity.

seehigh

Because if a pastor is jailed for not performing a queer wedding, because he believes that to do so he would have to surrender his faith in Christ, it's a direct attack upon Christianity.
That's not happening in Canada, and we've had same sex marriage for 10 years now. It used to be of concern, but practice shows that it is no concern.

Nor will it be in the United States. It is fear mongering to think otherwise.

Aimiel

Americans are sue-happy freaks. Are you saying you didn't see the recent debacle over queers wanting a cake for their wedding and the baker that refused on religious principle? :duh:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
As I said in the other thread this is a great thing for the GOP, they can lay off the anti gay stuff now.
The irony in chrys' post is that he only named four justices, when there were five who voted in favor. And five of the nine were nominated or appointed by Republicans. Not to mention Bush I nominated Sotomayor for a position in a lower court during his presidency.

Since we know five of the nine were Republican choices that means at least one of the five in the majority of this ruling was. Lo and behold it was the one who wrote the opinion: Kennedy.

Two years later, Kennedy authored the majority ruling in the decision of Obergefell v. Hodges, which holds that same-sex couples must be allowed to marry nationwide.[35][36]

Cite

That Republican president was Reagan.

Not to mention six justices are Roman Catholics. Which means at least two of the majority in this ruling are RCC. Those are Sotomayor, and the aforementioned Republican appointee Kennedy.

Not one hair on the head of religious liberty is out of place as a result of this ruling, though more than a few noses might be. No one altered a single church's stance on the morality of homosexuality with this ruling. No one required anyone so offended by the state's sanction to seek that sanction for their own union or to consider their union lessened because of the ruling if they do.
Do you expect religious liberty to not be a target? At least that of Christians and possibly Jews who oppose homosexuality?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Do you expect religious liberty to not be a target? At least that of Christians and possibly Jews who oppose homosexuality?
Of course. I said as much more than once. It isn't that some will attempt it, but that their efforts should fail, if not in a given jurisdiction (say, California) then before the S. Ct. for any number of reasons rooted in precedent and right. Pastor's aren't bakers and the logic of one won't translate readily into more.

seehigh

Americans are sue-happy freaks. Are you saying you didn't see the recent debacle over queers wanting a cake for their wedding and the baker that refused on religious principle? :duh:
So, does it make you feel better to say queers? Does get a load off your mind?

I'm not sure if it's really necessary to use derogatory terms however it says more about you then it says about the people you're trying to denigrate.

What if that bakery did not serve black people would that make it right? What was Asians? What about Haitians? Or perhaps Germans? Where do you draw the line as to when you think its ok to discriminate and when not?

When you open up a business that's open to the public, it's open to all the public and that's the law. You have no right to discriminate if you have a public business. You have all the right to hold your religious values at home, in your church, and among your church members.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So, does it make you feel better to say queers? Does get a load off your mind?

I'm not sure if it's really necessary to use derogatory terms however it says more about you then it says about the people you're trying to denigrate.

What if that bakery did not serve black people would that make it right? What was Asians? What about Haitians? Or perhaps Germans? Where do you draw the line as to when you think its ok to discriminate and when not?

When you open up a business that's open to the public, it's open to all the public and that's the law. You have no right to discriminate if you have a public business. You have all the right to hold your religious values at home, in your church, and among your church members.
It's always OK to discriminate. If your business suffers loss as a result so be it. Even if that loss is to the point of going out of business. And if you discriminate against those who do not deserve it then you deserve to go out of business.

JPPT1974

You can agree to disagree. Even if you may not agree with this issue. Love them as God does despite that.

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
Marriage pre-dates Christianity. It's not a Christian word or act. This is really about people getting back the word rather than ruining it for one particular goofy religion's interpretation of it.

Slavery, Abolished. A lot of Christians didn't like this.
Equal Rights for Blacks, Achieved. The Clan a firmly Christian outfit, certainly didn't like this.
Equal rights to marry for all, Achieved. Christians are ironically butthurt about this.

It strikes me that every good thing mankind achieves, every step forward in equality and human rights and every move towards a truly enlightened species... fly's directly in the face of Christianity.

But then again this is the religion that bought you a god which smites you for building a tower too high and co-operating too much.

Do you ever look at your religion and think... maybe you're the bad guys throughout history not the heroes.

Arthur Brain

Change is brought about by people resisting evil. It happens in the blink of an eye, as a change of heart does.

Whether it is a man or a nation, believing that it will get there by a means of slow progression is ignorant and contrary to the weight of history.

As we have seen with the advance of the homo agenda, it is easy for those who ignore history to pretend that there has not been a slow, steady decay of morality leading up to the Supreme Court opinion.

However, the path to repentance is as short as the road to an about face.

Oh please, do you think there was some sort of "golden age" in Western history or something? Some of you harp on about gay marriage and 'the world going to hell in a hand basket' because of it or the acceptance of it but does it ever occur to you that things were actually worse for lots of people than they are today?

When women didn't have the vote they didn't have a voice either. What recourse did they have if they were abused and raped in the marital home never mind anywhere else? What about children who 'should be seen and not heard'? How many times do you suppose kids were on the receiving end of all sorts of abuse behind closed doors never mind in the "work place"?

Oh, not to mention slavery, segregation etc...

The fact of the matter is that society in the West has progressed beyond all that crap and the logical step forward was to stop treating homosexuals in the same backward manner. Don't like it? Well tough, but don't start griping as if the sky's going to fall inwards considering what society was like only a coupla hundred years ago...

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course. I said as much more than once. It isn't that some will attempt it, but that their efforts should fail, if not in a given jurisdiction (say, California) then before the S. Ct. for any number of reasons rooted in precedent and right. Pastor's aren't bakers and the logic of one won't translate readily into more.

:darwinsm:

Within a few months, a case will start in which a church will either have to spend a lot of money or eventually lose in court.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Marriage pre-dates Christianity. It's not a Christian word or act. This is really about people getting back the word rather than ruining it for one particular goofy religion's interpretation of it.

Slavery, Abolished. A lot of Christians didn't like this.
Equal Rights for Blacks, Achieved. The Clan a firmly Christian outfit, certainly didn't like this.
Equal rights to marry for all, Achieved. Christians are ironically butthurt about this.

It strikes me that every good thing mankind achieves, every step forward in equality and human rights and every move towards a truly enlightened species... fly's directly in the face of Christianity.

But then again this is the religion that bought you a god which smites you for building a tower too high and co-operating too much.

Do you ever look at your religion and think... maybe you're the bad guys throughout history not the heroes.

There is some truth in what you are saying but the values of all religions are what made man something more than an animal.

As to the errors in your claims:

* Its a complete lie to imply that a majority of Christians opposed the abolition of slavery. Northern state Christians fought and died for their freedom.

* The KKK is not the teachings of Jesus while it may be made up of Christian red necks.

* Human and civil rights in America progressed like they did anywhere else in he world fostered by Christians. See predominantly Atheist North Korea and get back to us with your superiority trip.

* As an evolutionist I notice that devoid of any ultimate purpose of a mind behind the evolution of mind, evolution would have been a far greater, longer and meaningless bloody grind of might making what is.

TracerBullet

There are no clear limits on the Court's power anymore so I am not certain of what they could get away with. All they need is that swing vote and they can re-write the constitution.

equality of everyone, even minorities you don't happen to like, is already written into the constitution.