Simon The Rock

marhig

I obviously will go with nay. It is far too removed from its literal interpretation. I do not say this as a means of attacking you. However, when we allow for such straying, it leads to a loss of meaning. This doesn't happen with Scripture alone, however, it has the most drastic alterations.

Why is it far too removed?, That's exactly what Jesus means!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Matthew 16 YLT
15 He saith to them, `And ye -- who do ye say me to be?'
16 and Simon Peter answering said, `Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.'
17 And Jesus answering said to him, `Happy art thou, Simon Bar-Jona, because flesh and blood did not reveal [it] to thee, but my Father who is in the heavens.
18 `And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it;
19 and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Did Jesus build his church on the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone?

Was Simon Peter an apostle?

Was Simon Peter part of the foundation of the church?

Was Simon Peter a rock?

Was Simon Peter's wife a rockette?

CherubRam

Any verse must be taken as a whole in context with the passage. It doesn't disagree with the passage nor the rest of the Bible.

Here are some verses that it disagrees with. and there is probably a lot more. Our Rock
Genesis 49:24
But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,...

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the Lord had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.

1 Samuel 2:2
“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2
He said: “The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3
my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me.

2 Samuel 22:32
For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?

2 Samuel 22:47
“The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3
The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,

Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:31

Psalm 18:46
The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 28:1
To you, Lord, I call; you are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Psalm 31:2
Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my Rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Psalm 31:3
Since you are my Rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Psalm 42:9
I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”

Psalm 62:2
Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:6
Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 62:7
My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty Rock, my refuge.

Psalm 71:3
Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my fortress.

Psalm 78:35
They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.

Psalm 89:26
He will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.’

Psalm 92:15
proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Psalm 94:22
But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the Rock in whom I take refuge.

Psalm 95:1
Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 144:1
Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Isaiah 17:10
You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines,...

Isaiah 26:4
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

Isaiah 30:29
And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the Rock of Israel.

Isaiah 44:8
Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

Isaiah 51:1
“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the Rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;

Habakkuk 1:12
Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.

jsanford108

Here are some verses that it disagrees with. and there is probably a lot more. Our Rock
Genesis 49:24
But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,...

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the Lord had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.

1 Samuel 2:2
“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2
He said: “The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3
my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me.

2 Samuel 22:32

2 Samuel 22:47
“The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3
The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,

Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:31

Psalm 18:46
The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 28:1
To you, Lord, I call; you are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Psalm 31:2
Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my Rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Psalm 31:3
Since you are my Rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Psalm 42:9
I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”

Psalm 62:2
Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:6
Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 62:7
My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty Rock, my refuge.

Psalm 71:3
Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my fortress.

Psalm 78:35
They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.

Psalm 89:26
He will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.’

Psalm 92:15
proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Psalm 94:22
But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the Rock in whom I take refuge.

Psalm 95:1
Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 144:1
Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Isaiah 17:10
You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines,...

Isaiah 26:4
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

Isaiah 30:29
And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the Rock of Israel.

Isaiah 44:8
Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

Isaiah 51:1
“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the Rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;

Habakkuk 1:12
Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.

The verses you provided make an excellent point. Notice they are all Old Testament? This shows the weight of Christ's words to Peter. Peter would have known how being called "Peter" related to the ancient Scriptures. Peter would not have been ignorant of such a label. Does calling Simon, "Peter" make him akin to God? Absolutely not. After all, he was being addressed by God in Flesh. This shows God establishing a new covenant with Peter as the foundation. Christ is still the capstone (the stone which holds the entirety and integrity of the whole structure). But with this significant moment He makes Peter the foundation for a physical body of believers on earth. This is brought about with even greater clarity when Christ gives Peter the keys to the Kingdom, further adding "what you release on earth shall be released in heaven. And what you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven." No other conclusion from these verses can be more easily derived from this sequence of events with such clear and concise rationale.

marhig

The verses you provided make an excellent point. Notice they are all Old Testament? This shows the weight of Christ's words to Peter. Peter would have known how being called "Peter" related to the ancient Scriptures. Peter would not have been ignorant of such a label. Does calling Simon, "Peter" make him akin to God? Absolutely not. After all, he was being addressed by God in Flesh. This shows God establishing a new covenant with Peter as the foundation. Christ is still the capstone (the stone which holds the entirety and integrity of the whole structure). But with this significant moment He makes Peter the foundation for a physical body of believers on earth. This is brought about with even greater clarity when Christ gives Peter the keys to the Kingdom, further adding "what you release on earth shall be released in heaven. And what you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven." No other conclusion from these verses can be more easily derived from this sequence of events with such clear and concise rationale.

All the apostles and the prophets are the foundation not just Peter, (please see below) and it's because Christ was in them he was their Rock and he is the cornerstone. And it's also clear that Christ is our Rock in the new testament, and it's only through him that the church is built by the power the holy spirit of God.

Ephesians 2

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

1 Peter 1

Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

1 Corinthians 10

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ

The old testament father's ate the same spiritual meat, and drank the same spiritual drink, for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them and that rock was Christ. The reason the apostles and the prophets are our foundation is because Christ was in them. He is the Rock of all of us. Including the apostles and the prophets. And everything comes from God the father through Christ.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Stone
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Zechariah 3:9
See, the stone I have set in front of Joshua! There are seven eyes on that one stone, and I will engrave an inscription on it,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and I will remove the sin of this land in a single day.

Matthew 21:42
Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes' ?

Matthew 21:44
He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

Mark 12:10
Haven't you read this scripture: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ;

Luke 20:17
Jesus looked directly at them and asked, "Then what is the meaning of that which is written: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ' ?

Luke 20:18
Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

Acts 4:11
He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone. '

Romans 9:33
As it is written: "See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a stone that makes them fall, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

1 Peter 2:4
[ The Living Stone and a Chosen People ] As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—

1 Peter 2:6
For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

1 Peter 2:7
Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone, "

1 Peter 2:8
and, "A stone that causes men to stumble and a stone that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

This comment in 1 Corinthians 10:4 is not found in scriptures.
1 Corinthians 10:4
and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that Rock was Christ.[/FONT]