Should Children Be Executed If They've...

Jerry Shugart

It's interesting how many of you go back to the old testament when it suits you, do you follow all the laws?

Is there anything about what the LORD said at Genesis 9:6 that you think has changed?

"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man" (Gen. 9:6).​

I don't have any reason why anyone should think that what He said there should not be honored.

You must have a reason so what is that reason?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My point was that I don't keep the law. I can put myself under it, but I don't keep it because I love my neighbor and God.

I know what you mean, I just think you need to rephrase. To "not keep the law" is not a good thing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
He didn't say he was unwilling.

You people need to learn to respond to what we say, not to what you wish we would say.

Barbarian was a master of the straw man before he got banned. What was one of his final ones?

Oh, yeah. That gun thread where he kept saying we wanted people dead.

Well, at least we settled the logic problem you were having. Glad I could set you straight.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I make a living turning ESL-written copy into reports that not only adhere to proper grammar, syntax and semantics, but are also internally consistent and fact-checked.
Ah, so you take text and translate it for people who have even less comfort with and control of English as a form of expression. Doesn't really apply here, but good on you.

Moreover, we get opinion pieces where the challenge is to figure out what the guy means so we can state his case clearly without bulldozing stuff that might speak to his unique perspective. Your stuff reads much like a couple of those guys: They write in English and think they're experts in it, when really they should be sticking to "magazine level."
I get your inability to separate your personal issues from your critique, such as it is, but it's not really accomplishing much. I'm not particularly prescriptive when it comes to writing in an informal setting, unless the person is being unintentionally ironic with it, but I appreciate it in formal writing and the necessity of it in technical work, where the particulars are essential and clarity in that regard is at a premium.

Nope, I know what I'm talking about. Your writing is impenetrable at times, even for an expert.
It really isn't. In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to find much that couldn't be unpacked by a reader of modest skill who paid attention to the illustrations and had a decent dictionary on hand. I dial down most of what I write that goes beyond a sentence/barb meant to require the reader to unpack it for the larger humor. I doubt people like AMR, and there are a few of those here, have any problem at all with it.

As for my background, since we're doing that...I've published as a poet and essayist and had my work critiqued in both and praised by people with better credentials than either of us, including one poet laureate. I had a very successful run as a lawyer specializing in appeals, where my job was to essentially relate complex legal issues and holdings to the facts of a case while arguing against a trier of fact's interpretation (especially in administrative law judgements regarding social security matters).

The problem with people like you, who try that approach in lieu of counter and as a means of waving hand and passing a point by, is that you never really note what it is that confuses you, what seems "impenetrable" in a given, because you're driven by two competing urges. The first is to declare the thing impenetrable and the second, incompatible urge is to appear superior while doing it. And since I can unpack it and it isn't really difficult, to ask me to do that would be to reveal that one or both of those urges is problematic.

When that happens, or rather fails to, I understand what is and isn't at the heart of their complaint.

And notice that you spent exactly no time addressing the inconsistency in your responses.
I addressed, and have more than once now, your attempt to manufacture what isn't, in point of fact, that very thing.

Arthur Brain

According to the Bible, the people that see the abominable act done that warrants death are to be the first to put the person to death.

So what if that's a six year old's parents? Are they obligated to kill their own child? There's a reason why you people who advocate this horror will do anything to avoid answering as to whether you could be the ones to stick a knife in a child as "justice". Deep down you know that the only people who could would be the lowest scum on the planet. Yet you'll still clamour on about the execution of kids as righteous, which frankly makes you and the other advocates little to no better.

Jerry Shugart

According to some people the LORD Himself punishes children for the sins of others! R. C. Sproul, a well known and respected author among the Calvinists wrote that "The doctrine of original sin does not refer to the first sin committed by Adam and Eve, but to the 'result' of that first sin. Original sin is the corruption visited on the progeny of our first parents as punishment for the original transgression."

Arthur Brain

According to some people the LORD Himself punishes children for the sins of others! R. C. Sproul, a well known and respected author among the Calvinists wrote that "The doctrine of original sin does not refer to the first sin committed by Adam and Eve, but to the 'result' of that first sin. Original sin is the corruption visited on the progeny of our first parents as punishment for the original transgression."

This thread isn't about Calvinism or 'original sin'. It's about whether children should be executed so what are your thoughts on that?

Jerry Shugart

If anyone believes that the LORD punishes children for the sins of others then why would they object to children being punished for their own sins?

In order to answer your question, I need to know how you as well as the various states define the word "children."

Arthur Brain

If anyone believes that the LORD punishes children for the sins of others then why would they object to children being punished for their own sins?

In order to answer your question, I need to know how you as well as the various states define the word "children."

Here's the NSPCC on the matter and I've no reason to disagree with it:

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing...efinition-child-rights-law/legal-definitions/

Now, do you think a six year old child is capable of committing a capital crime and should be executed to the degree of even being stabbed to death?

glorydaz

God's ministers don't go out killing people with literal swords. They preach the word of God

The scripture presented to you was about God using the government...governing authorities. Preachers don't execute wrath upon the evil. We don't pay "tribute" to preachers.

Just admit you were wrong and move along. 1 Tim. 2

Romans 13:3-7 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Proverbs 8:15 By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.​

Arthur Brain

The scripture presented to you was about God using the government...governing authorities. Preachers don't execute wrath upon the evil. We don't pay "tribute" to preachers.

Just admit you were wrong and move along. 1 Tim. 2

Romans 13:3-7 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Proverbs 8:15 By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.​

GD, what do you think about the notion of executing children as young as six and to the extreme of someone stabbing them to death in the name of "justice"?

Arthur Brain

He didn't say he was unwilling.

You people need to learn to respond to what we say, not to what you wish we would say.

Barbarian was a master of the straw man before he got banned. What was one of his final ones?

Oh, yeah. That gun thread where he kept saying we wanted people dead.

Well, if you go along with JR's advocacy on here then he does want people dead, including six year old children if they've committed a "capital crime" if you happened to be reading along, like, you know, the topic of whether children should be executed as per the thread title?

What kind of person do you think could do such a thing as to plunge a knife into a child's body until they're dead Stripe? A well rounded individual with good people skills? A family man? A well respected person around town?

:plain:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah, so you take text and translate it.
Nope.

As for my background, since we're doing that.
We're not. You like to question my ability to understand. It's not my problem. It's yours.

I addressed, and have more than once now, your attempt to manufacture what isn't, in point of fact, that very thing.
Case in point, this post of yours, which addressed nothing at all.

Arthur Brain

Nope.

We're not. You like to question my ability to understand. It's not my problem. It's yours.

Case in point, this post of yours, which addressed nothing at all.

Oh please. If you're so well versed in English then you'd have little difficulty in "deciphering" TH's posts.

I can understand them well enough.

:AMR:

Kit the Coyote

It makes you wonder what the job adverts would look like...

Executioners Needed.

Essential requirements of the role:

Must be devoid of basic human compassion and empathy, display significant psychopathic traits and antisocial behaviour along with narcissistic personality disorder.

Preferred requirements:

Clean driving license.

:rain:

A toy train to distract physical and mental six-year-olds a plus.