Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Alate_One

I've rarely if ever heard anyone arguing for the confiscation of all guns in the U.S. This is the fantasy flip side of folks convinced it'll eventually happen, and anyone crazy enough to believe one of these two scenarios deserves to be locked in an elevator with their counterpart.
Exactly. Taking away all guns is fantasy, even the threat of it is fantasy. That kind of fear mongering is what stops any common sense regulations. Well that and the NRA li$tening to gun manufacturers over gun owners.

We are polarized and that is, in part, the result of Obama's pathetic lack of leadership on the home front.

This kind of comment is the reason this is a meme.

de59c1f520dc8d413dd694e8d9b74b7e.jpg

Gun control has been a non-starter for twenty years or more. There's no reason to blame Obama for it. Leadership only works when people are willing to be led.

bybee

Exactly. Taking away all guns is fantasy, even the threat of it is fantasy. That kind of fear mongering is what stops any common sense regulations. Well that and the NRA li$tening to gun manufacturers over gun owners.

This kind of comment is the reason this is a meme.

de59c1f520dc8d413dd694e8d9b74b7e.jpg

Gun control has been a non-starter for twenty years or more. There's no reason to blame Obama for it. Leadership only works when people are willing to be led.
And it, of course, is about as specious as the memes coming from your side.... perhaps?

bybee

Of course I remember all of the memes about GWBush being to blame for everything that went wrong in this country from the day of his election to office and he is continuing to be blamed to this day for all that goes wrong during this administration.
Sooooo... get off your high horse!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Consider the counterargument: Mass shootings are the acceptable sacrifice we must make on the altar of liberty in order to ensure our "freedoms."
An argument nobody is making.

Both sides want to see no mass killings. One side has had its way enacting regulations for the past century, which has led to increased shootings, while the other advocates freedom.

Your vague position seems to be made up of what you can whine about the most.

We need to at least try to do something. So far, we've done absolutely nothing.

Which would explain all the regulations. :rolleyes:

Taking away all guns is fantasy, even the threat of it is fantasy. That kind of fear mongering is what stops any common sense regulations. Well that and the NRA li$tening to gun manufacturers over gun owners.
You forgot reality. It is your side that makes guns difficult for law-abiding people to use properly in a gun-plenty environment. That means the man who is willing to ignore the rules is increasingly at an advantage when it comes to the showdown.

The answer is clearly not to be found in continuing down the path of trying to legislate the problem away.

Gun control has been a non-starter for twenty years or more.
So all the gun-control laws are just some sort of illusion then?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
NRA puts out a list of people who shot or scared off criminals because they had a gun handy.

National Safety Council keeps a list of people killed from accidental discharge of guns in homes.

Compare the two.

Turns out that in some bad neighborhoods, it's actually safer for you to have a gun. If you and everyone who might get access to your gun is well-trained in gun safety, then there are more neighborhoods in which having a gun is safer than not having one.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
NRA puts out a list of people who shot or scared off criminals because they had a gun handy.

National Safety Council keeps a list of people killed from accidental discharge of guns in homes.

Compare the two.

Turns out that in some bad neighborhoods, it's actually safer for you to have a gun. If you and everyone who might get access to your gun is well-trained in gun safety, then there are more neighborhoods in which having a gun is safer than not having one.

save this post
the barbarian did not take a shot at the republican party

Alate_One

Of course I remember all of the memes about GWBush being to blame for everything that went wrong in this country from the day of his election to office and he is continuing to be blamed to this day for all that goes wrong during this administration.
Sooooo... get off your high horse!

Mmm I don't recall blaming him for everything, just things he actually did, like getting us into an unnecessary war. That war is still causing repercussions in the middle east and will for decades to come no matter who is president. Economic issues are almost never any individual president's fault. They take too long to develop and are generally out of control of the president. (Despite this people almost always blame presidents for the economy.)

As far as gun control goes the assault weapons ban expired under GWB. And it's been Republicans that have refused to renew it, though some cowardly democrats have participated in that as well. But Bush had the congress for two years after 2004 and could have gotten it reinstated.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
As far as gun control goes the assault weapons ban expired under GWB. And it's been Republicans that have refused to renew it, though some cowardly democrats have participated in that as well. But Bush had the congress for two years after 2004 and could have gotten it reinstated.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :yawn:

Granite

Hall of Fame
You say that like it's a bad thing. :yawn:

Guns are black now, and gun shows are bleak, colorless, as joyless as the inner landscape of many who attend them. Look at this crowd: scruffy, squinty, egg-bound, truly of the resinous heart. They are the main danger to the right of a private citizen to own a firearm.

The guns they fancy are assault weapons designed for mass production, cheaply made of stampings to provide high firepower to ignorant and untrained troops.

--Thomas Harris

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Guns are black now, and gun shows are bleak, colorless, as joyless as the inner landscape of many who attend them. Look at this crowd: scruffy, squinty, egg-bound, truly of the resinous heart. They are the main danger to the right of a private citizen to own a firearm.

The guns they fancy are assault weapons designed for mass production, cheaply made of stampings to provide high firepower to ignorant and untrained troops.

--Thomas Harris

:plain: Interesting you should use that quote considering the only truly dangerous individual moving among that crowd prefers bladed weapons.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:plain: Interesting you should use that quote considering the only truly dangerous individual moving among that crowd prefers bladed weapons.

Glad somebody got that reference.:devil: :Shimei:

And Harris's point stands. Let's look at it this way: Maybe Americans need to find a new and or healthier hobby.

Last edited:

This Charming Manc

Well if the police did act in that way (im very shocked if they did) they way to handle them is via the courts of law, if you think pulling a gun would have been a smart move in that situation then your an absolute moron.

What is your view, who should uphold the law offices of the law or anyone who can grab a gun?

you can't always trust the police
look what happened in wisconsin

as long as unions protect them

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Well if the police did act in that way (im very shocked if they did) they way to handle them is via the courts of law, if you think pulling a gun would have been a smart move in that situation then your an absolute moron.

What is your view, who should uphold the law offices of the law or anyone who can grab a gun?

who pulled a gun?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Glad somebody got that reference.:devil: :Shimei:

And Harris's point stands. Let's look at this way: Maybe Americans need to find a new and or healthier hobby.

I happen to like my hobby....That having been said I am sympathetic to Harrison's characterization of many of the "people" who frequent gun shows...and Walmart for that matter. :think:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I happen to like my hobby....That having been said I am sympathetic to Harrison's characterization of many of the "people" who frequent gun shows...and Walmart for that matter. :think:

Indeed. Which is why I frequent neither.

I dunno, Tom...I guess...we're sick. As a country, we are sick. And I don't see much end or hope in sight, and sometimes it's discouraging. When something like Charleston happens--and it will happen again, but the circumstances there are uniquely horrible--makes me wonder how much worse it could possibly get.

P.S. The answer usually is "a lot."

This Charming Manc

I thought you had argued that we need guns because we cant trust the police.

I'm suggesting if 20 armed police show up at your house and start violating you civil rights the most stupid thing you could do is resort to a gun, if you were black you would know that.

Your most effective protection from the police is courts and the press

who pulled a gun?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Indeed. Which is why I frequent neither.

Ditto :chuckle:

I dunno, Tom...I guess...we're sick. As a country, we are sick. And I don't see much end or hope in sight, and sometimes it's discouraging. When something like Charleston happens--and it will happen again, but the circumstances there are uniquely horrible--makes me wonder how much worse it could possibly get.

P.S. The answer usually is "a lot."

Unfortunately so. :sigh: