Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ooooooo... you ... you ... bad person .. you ... you ... booger picker ... you ... you ... lilly livered sniffer of other peoples bottoms ... I clear my nostrils in your general direction ...
Some aquatic nymph lobs a scepter at you and you think you're the king.

Anywho, like I was saying about symbols, as we get lazier as a society we tend to lean on them more and more ... at our own peril.
These days it's less about symbols and more about cowbell. :plain: Darn you spellcheck.

fzappa13

Because the worst thing those who descend from the families that embroiled the nation in that war can do is to entertain it as something more than it was.

I give a thing what I think it's worth. And if I've done that for a number of posts I don't see the point in dragging all of it forward to the next like Marley's chains.

I don't think anyone could reasonably call my larger post with numerous notes and quotes brief, but in sum, the Southern cause is clearly set out by the men who saw it to fruition. It's only a mystery to apologists laying in the weeds of a more modern complaint that the South attempted to use as a mechanism (but not motive) to withdraw and looking to ennoble anything that will found their cause.

Sure. Which is why I noted the official posture of states leaving the Union about the why of it. That newspaper quote just summed it nicely.

Truth is that states may have thought (and been right) that they had the right to withdraw and may well have been exercising that right, but the reason they were doing so was and remains, slavery.

A few border states.

Now, as soon as Lincoln could manage it what did he actually do about slavery? Exactly what he always envisioned would come about eventually, if farther down the line.

Right. It was the easier of the tasks before those who were opposed to slavery. And then they found their way to the second part, which is why none of those Union states had slaves for long.

Why not erect monuments to fallen and loyal subjects to the British Empire in Boston while you're at it? :plain:

Rather, the sacrifice was itself and in the service of ignorance and neither needs nor merit's public honor. For my part, you could take the sum of Confederate memorials and make a fishing/diving reef with them in the Gulf of Mexico.

No, you could say it stands for a particular form of government in relation to its people, since that was the root of the conflict, as slavery was the root of the Confederate cause.

I'm not sure I particularly care for you responding to me and IMJ as a couple ... I have a wife already.

rainee

I thought dolphins were aquatic - now you're telling me our pie making rabbit lovin cowgirl up the road from deliverance is aquatic? Dang, this has just not been my week, sigh

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not sure I particularly care for you responding to me and IMJ as a couple ... I have a wife already.
I smell a POTD. :plain:

Else, wedded subject and a disinclination to post three in an uninterrupted row.

Meanwhile:

South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday (AP) By Jeffrey Collins and Meg Kinnard

"South Carolina's leaders first flew the battle flag over the Statehouse dome in 1961 to mark the 100th anniversary of the Civil War. It remained there to represent official opposition to the civil rights movement."​

From indignity in cause to indignity in its extended resurrection. Let it be retired to the pages of a lamented past and the rest of us move forward into a better future.

Granite

Hall of Fame
ooooooo... you ... you ... bad person .. you ... you ... booger picker ... you ... you ... lilly livered sniffer of other peoples bottoms ... I clear my nostrils in your general direction ...

Anywho, like I was saying about symbols, as we get lazier as a society we tend to lean on them more and more ... at our own peril.

I don't know who else other than neo-Confederates "lean" on such symbols. Which makes them (surprise) part of the problem.

fzappa13

Else, wedded subject and a disinclination to post three in an uninterrupted row.

Meanwhile:

South Carolina governor: Confederate flag comes down Friday (AP) By Jeffrey Collins and Meg Kinnard

"South Carolina's leaders first flew the battle flag over the Statehouse dome in 1961 to mark the 100th anniversary of the Civil War. It remained there to represent official opposition to the civil rights movement."​

From indignity in cause to indignity in its extended resurrection. Let it be retired to the pages of a lamented past and the rest of us move forward into a better future.

Symbols are just that ... you can build up these straw men and kill them all day long but to kill a thought or a memory? ... well, you have to kill the person ... and that's a zero sum equation. That or deconstruct history and hope they don't tell their kids what happened. ... or in this case both.

Subjugating thought is no different than subjugating people. If you're argument has any validity it will win the day without the help of our vaunted legal establishment or scholastic tenure as it's paid champions. The fact that it didn't is telling, I think.

fzappa13

Meanwhile:

Keep it up and I'm going to stick you in the same boat with TOL's most noted user of the broad brush ...

Granite

Hall of Fame
The fact it took a century and a half to seriously consider this to be at least in poor taste is...kinda sad commentary.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Symbols are just that ...
I'm having a hard time finding what the objection to recognizing what they're symbols for is.

you can build up these straw men
I don't build straw men, though I set a few on fire from time to time.

and kill them all day long but to kill a thought or a memory? ... well, you have to kill the person ... and that's a zero sum equation. That or deconstruct history and hope they don't tell their kids what happened. ... or in this case both.
There's no confusion in this history.

Subjugating thought is no different than subjugating people.
Of course it is. You have to give your permission for a thought to rule you. And it then does the harm or good you grant it permission to do.

If you're argument has any validity it will win the day without the help of our vaunted legal establishment or scholastic tenure as it's paid champions.
It might. It might not. But the real question is why should it be delayed if it's just?

The fact that it didn't is telling, I think.
I think the fact you first say a thing will out then call time as though it's settled is telling, and a bit of knot for you.

fzappa13

Outlawing a flag is no different than outlawing a word. Outlawing either doesn't erase it from the mind. It is a fool's errand.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Outlawing a flag is no different than outlawing a word.
I'm not advocating outlawing either by advocating a lack of veneration and a removal of the symbol from flying over government seats of power.

Outlawing either doesn't erase it from the mind.
The last thing I want is to erase it from our minds. I want it understood and the lesson of it encompassed like any shameful thing from our history.