Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

glorydaz

Have you not read

Matthew 5:22 NRS
https://www.biblestudytools.com/nrs/matthew/5-22.html
22 But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, "You fool,' you will be liable to the hell of fire

Have you not read what Jesus said? That even applies to you.....

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

2003cobra

The translation you've chosen is the problem. It is not that way in the authorized version.

Clearly, you didn't read the verses I quoted. They were exactly the same except Matthew had added, "In whom I am well pleased".....which related back to two OT verses in Isaiah.

Luke 9:35 And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Luke 9:35YLT 35 and a voice came out of the cloud saying, `This is My Son -- the Beloved; hear ye him;'
Yes, some translations do use the later manuscripts that have been altered by scribes to eliminate the error.

American Standard Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (ASV) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my Son, my chosen: hear ye him.

The Bible in Basic English
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (BBE) And there was a voice from the cloud saying, This is my Son, the man of my selection; give ear to him.

Common English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (CEB) Then a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, my chosen one. Listen to him!"

Common English Bible w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (CEBA) Then a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, my chosen one. Listen to him!"

The Complete Jewish Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (CJB) and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Listen to him!"

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (CSB) Then a voice came from the cloud, saying: This is My Son, the Chosen One; listen to Him!

The Darby Translation
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (DBY) and there was a voice out of the cloud saying, *This* is my beloved Son: hear him.

English Standard Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (ESV) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!"

Good News Translation
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (GNT) A voice said from the cloud, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen - listen to him!"

Good News Translation w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (GNTA) A voice said from the cloud, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen - listen to him!"

GOD'S WORD Translation
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (GW) A voice came out of the cloud and said, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Listen to him!"

Hebrew Names Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (HNV) A voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my beloved Son. Listen to him!"

Jubilee Bible 2000
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (JUB) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son; hear him.

King James Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (KJV) And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

King James Version w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (KJVA) And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying , This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Lexham English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (LEB) And a voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, [my] Chosen One. Listen to him!"

The Message Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (MSG) Then there was a voice out of the cloud: "This is my Son, the Chosen! Listen to him."

New American Standard Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NAS) Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!"

New Century Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NCV) A voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Listen to him!"

New International Reader's Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NIRV) A voice came from the cloud. It said, "This is my Son, and I have chosen him. Listen to him."

New International Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NIV) A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.”

New King James Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NKJV) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!"

New Living Translation
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NLT) Then a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him.”

New Revised Standard
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NRS) Then from the cloud came a voice that said, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!"

New Revised Standard w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (NRSA) Then from the cloud came a voice that said, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!"

Orthodox Jewish Bible
Chapter Parallel
Lukas 9:35 (OJB) And a bat kol came from the anan (cloud), saying ZEH BENI BECHIRI, ELAV TISHMAUN (This is my Son the Chosen One, listen to him. [YESHAYAH 42:1; TEHILLIM 2:7]

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (RHE) And a voice came out of the cloud; saying: This is my beloved son. Hear him.

Revised Standard Version
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (RSV) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!"

Revised Standard Version w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (RSVA) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!"

SBL Greek New Testament
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (SBLG) καὶ φωνὴ ἐγένετο ἐκ τῆς νεφέλης λέγουσα · Οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ υἱός μου ὁ ἐκλελεγμένος, αὐτοῦ ἀκούετε.

Third Millennium Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (TMB) And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, "THIS IS MY BELOVED SON. HEAR HIM!"

Third Millennium Bible w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (TMBA) And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, "THIS IS MY BELOVED SON. HEAR HIM!"

Tyndale
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (TYN) And ther came a voyce out of the cloude sayinge: This is my deare sonne heare him.

The Webster Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (WBT) And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

World English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (WEB) A voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my beloved Son. Listen to him!"

Weymouth New Testament
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (WNT) Then there came a voice from within the cloud: "This is My Son, My Chosen One: listen to Him."

Wycliffe
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (WYC) And a voice was made out of the cloud, and said [saying], This is my dear-worthy Son, hear ye him.

Young's Literal Translation
Chapter Parallel
Luke 9:35 (YLT) and a voice came out of the cloud saying, `This is My Son -- the Beloved; hear ye him;'

What about the errors of omission? Do you have any comment on those? Perhaps you are sticking to your earlier position that the gospel writers deleted part of what the Father said intentionally.

Lon

What about the errors of omission? Do you have any comment on those? Perhaps you are sticking to your earlier position that the gospel writers deleted part of what the Father said intentionally.
John 20:30 :doh: You NEED to 1) LISTEN more speak MUCH less. 2) READ more. It is OBVIOUS you don't read enough of scripture to be making these ridiculous mistakes. 3) Stop with your indoctrinating UNTIL you know what you are talking about, and maybe not even then. 1 Timothy 3:6 Do you NOTICE we all post scripture and that it readily comes to mind? Do you notice such only happens for you when you look something up? Stop reading scriptures only academically. Internalize them and you won't be making these novice mistakes. Your pastor was ignorant of scripture to have let you teach as such an early and novice believer. It stagnates people. That is the danger Paul was addressing to Timothy and you are the walking example of why this instruction is given. Sorry, NOBODY on TOL is going to see you as anything but a babe in the faith and theology. It doesn't matter how long, you stagnated long ago in ignorant arrogant pride. You really need to be here to learn somethings, NOT teach somethings. You have nothing to teach the rest of us and a LOT to learn. Get off your pedestal. You need to learn to listen more, speak less.

2003cobra

Your frustration with not being able to reconcile the errors is showing again, Lon.

And you still haven’t answered what the voice from the cloud actually said. I don’t think you ever will. No matter which version you choose, you make the alternative(s) errors.

So let’s go to another error.
First, the tally:
1) you took the untenable position on the first error that it was a different journey
2) on the second error you declared Matthew misquoted Jesus, although you couldn’t quite bring yourself to say that, plus you declared Matthew was wrong in stating Jesus rode two animals
3) you never answered what the voice from heaven actually said

So, here is another.

There are at least two errors in the genealogies. I will start with one:

Matthew 1: And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah, 7 and Solomon the father of Rehoboam, and Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asaph, 8 and Asaph the father of Jehoshaphat, and Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah, 9and Uzziah the father of Jotham, and Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the father of Hezekiah, 10 and Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, and Manasseh the father of Amos, and Amos the father of Josiah, 11 and Josiah the father of Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the deportation to Babylon.
...and Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah.

Luke 2 Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli, 24 the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melki, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph, 25 the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai,26 the son of Maath, the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein, the son of Josek, the son of Joda, 27 the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri, 28 the son of Melki, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmadam, the son of Er, 29 the son of Joshua, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, 30 the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim,31 the son of Melea, the son of Menna, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David,

Matthew says Joseph was a descendant of David through Solomon.

Luke contradicts that and says Joseph was a descendant of David through Nathan.

Many pretend one of these genealogies is Mary’s — which is simply a denial of the text. They lie about the words of the gospels to support their man-made doctrine of inerrancy.

Ok, Lon, was Joseph a descendant of Nathan or a descendant of Solomon?

There is another error in the genealogies, but this one is enough to prove the doctrine of inerrancy false (as are the previously presented misquoting of Jesus).

If it makes you feel better, you can continue to insult me. But you should at least try to answer this question, something you declined to do on the last error. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
While the errors of omission are interesting, I am more interested in why Luke says “My Chosen” and leaves out “the beloved.” No other gospel does.

Do you have a proposed explanation?

I do, your using a poor translation when its translated as chosen, when the actual word is the same as what was used in Matthew - beloved.

See this post where you have already been corrected with the original to literal english rendering.

Game over, instead of searching for a translation that lets you change what somethng says, check the originals instead.

glorydaz

They aren't "errors of omission". That's why we have four Gospels. It was God's choice to send out four men. They did not all have the same marching orders. I have a feeling you don't know what it means to preach a gospel. The hearers are not all the same. The same message does not have to be given in order for them to hear what the Lord wants them to hear. You deny the fact that each Gospel writer was addressing a certain group of people. You're quite a shallow Bible student.

glorydaz

I do, your using a poor translation when its translated as chosen, when the actual word is the same as what was used in Matthew - beloved.

See this post where you have already been corrected with the original to literal english rendering.

Game over, instead of searching for a translation that lets you change what somethng says, check the originals instead.

I'll lay you odds he won't listen. He's like God's UNtruth that way. :sigh:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I don't believe our Lord spoke Matthew 16:18 KJV English, I think He spoke Matthew 16:18 KJV in Aramaic and not in Greek, and so I believe He said, translated, You are a rock, and upon this rock I will build My Church. And that in Aramaic, Peter's name was Rock, and when the Lord and the other disciples called on him, they said, in Aramaic, "Rock." We even know what rock means in Aramaic, from the KJV, it is Cephas. John 1:42 KJV

glorydaz

:plain: Wait for it....

...he doesn't even know what omission means :doh:

1 Timothy 3:6

Just wait till he gets done tackling the genealogies.
Didn't we have a good thread on that at one time? :think:
It's actually an interesting study. I just hate to see it mocked like we've been seeing.

I hate to see kids trying to ride those greased pigs....they never stick.

Lon

It's actually an interesting study. I just hate to see it mocked like we've been seeing.

Right, because Joseph can't 'possibly' be related to both Solomon and Nathan. Its like we only have ONE grandfather or something, not two... That'd be like saying I 'can be related to George Washington but NOT Abraham Lincoln' :plain: :dizzy:

We have had a few threads like this before.... :sigh:

2003cobra

Would you like to answer what was actually said, the entire sentence or sentences?

I am looking for someone with sufficient courage of their convictions and sufficient integrity to answer rather than evade.

2003cobra

I don't believe our Lord spoke Matthew 16:18 KJV English, I think He spoke Matthew 16:18 KJV in Aramaic and not in Greek, and so I believe He said, translated, You are a rock, and upon this rock I will build My Church. And that in Aramaic, Peter's name was Rock, and when the Lord and the other disciples called on him, they said, in Aramaic, "Rock." We even know what rock means in Aramaic, from the KJV, it is Cephas. John 1:42 KJV

I agree that He spoke in Aramaic and rock was the same word both times it was spoken.

2003cobra

:plain: Wait for it....

...he doesn't even know what omission means :doh:

1 Timothy 3:6
Oh, I know what omission means.

And no person will say “the voice actually said _____” and then fill in the blank.

If they say the shorter quote, they have admitted an error of omission.

If they say the longer quote, they have admitted error of adding to the Words of God.

So they evade the question, writing much, taking potshots, not answering.

2003cobra

It is a short question to answer. Did Joseph descend from Nathan or from Nathan’s brother Solomon?

You did not answer, because doing so would prove yet another error and add another definitive proof that the man-made doctrine of inerrancy is false.

God never promised us a perfect book; He sent us a perfect Savior.