Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

glorydaz

I will indulge you as my foil this one final time.

Matthew 10:1,9-10 (KJV)
Matthew 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
Matthew 10:9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
Matthew 10:10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Mark 6:7-8 (KJV)
Mark 6:7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;
Mark 6:8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:

Luke 9:1,3 (KJV)
Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
Luke 9:3 And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.

Matthew 10:10 includes a further clarification: Do not acquire a staff as special equipment for the tour of the twelve. Matthew 10:10 often is rendered with "extra" in the verse, as in

Don't take a traveling bag for the road, or an extra shirt, sandals, or a walking stick, for the worker is worthy of his food. HCSB

The word "extra" applies to shirt, sandals, or walkings stick. Naturally the solid KJV rendering catches the "extra" meanings in the pluralizations shown therein.

Mark 6:8 teaches that this did not require that the disciples discard or leave behind the walking stick that they normally took with them wherever they went, while they were following Jesus. The twelve are to go about with the staff they had at the time, but they were not to seek one specially, or make it a condition of their travelling.

For fun see a variety of renderings:
Mark 6:8: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/mARK 6:08
Luke 9:3: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Luke 9:03
Matthew 10:10: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/matthew 10:010

No "synoptic problem" here or anywhere else in Holy Writ. :AMR1:

Now please feel free to have the last word. I have no time to interact with anyone who denies the infallibility, and plenary verbal inspiration of Scripture. You are trying to function out of your weight class. Your fifteen minutes are up. :AMR:

AMR

It's too bad I missed this one. Excellent response, AMR. :thumb:

Last edited:

2003cobra

I will number your comments and questions to assist in addressing them.
How do you know that Jesus is being misquoted?1

You keep making definitive statements, without providing a definitive source. 2

How do you know there are errors? Thus far, you haven't shown any errors, just numerical discrepancies, of +/- 1. Historically and scientifically, that is not enough to label as "error."3

Multiple witnesses. Sure. But, if you have a book full of errors, 4then the source cannot be trusted. So, you are trusting an erroneous source, meaning you can't be certain of anything.

But how do you know there are errors?3 The only way to deduce errors is to compare against a proven error-free source.

How do you know that Jesus is being misquoted? 2Again, you keep making definitive statements without an error-free source.

Why do you keep on using numerical discrepancies of literally +/- 1? 5Why do you not just address the real topic, which is inerrant doctrine? Unless you can provide solid proof, historically and scientifically, of a parallel source, free of error,6 then you are relying on erroneous documents; thus, you cannot accept beliefs based on the material as "Truth."

1) Two documents quoted Jesus. The quotes disagree. At least one is an error.

2) Of course you know I provided definitive sources, the only ones that you will accept: books of the Bible. Matthew disagrees with Mark and Luke. Three definitive sources; at least one misquotes Jesus.

3) Your statement is false and it misrepresents my presentation.
a) Wrong numbers are errors.
b) It is much more than numbers. In one gospel, Jesus told the disciples to take no staff, in another He told them they could take a staff, in a third He told them not to acquire a staff to take. Not numbers — different instructions. In one gospel, Jesus told the disciples to bring a colt. In another He told them to bring a donkey and a colt. Different, contradictory quotes. Not just numbers — errors.

4) This is a standard exaggeration people struggling against the facts to support their man-made traditions frequently use. I say repeatedly that there are a few insignificant errors that do not affect the authority or validity of scripture. Those failing to defend their false doctrine resort to fear mongering. ‘Full of errors’ is the trypical lie people hope to use in getting others to ignore their inability to explain the few insignificant errors.

5) Pointing out that the Bible itself is inconsistent with the way you have padded its resume with the false claim of inerrancy is discussing the doctrine of inerrancy. If it contradicts the evidence in the Bible, and it does, then you have failed.

6) Your claim that there must be an inerrant parallel source to disprove inerrancy is both wrong and ironic — it works against the doctrine of inerrancy. Why haven’t you seen that? Here it is simply (since you spent a post calling me a simpleton, this may be appropriate):
You claim the gospel attributed to Matthew is free of error. You claim the gospel attributed to Mark is free of error. They are parallel documents, both covering the same time and topic.

So we have two parallel and, according to your, inerrant sources that prove at least one has an error. Your own requirement has proved you, and the doctrine of inerrancy, wrong.

jsanford108

I will number your comments and questions to assist in addressing them.
Perfect. Works for me, and it is organized. Bravo.

1) Two documents quoted Jesus. The quotes disagree. At least one is an error.

2) Of course you know I provided definitive sources, the only ones that you will accept: books of the Bible. Matthew disagrees with Mark and Luke. Three definitive sources; at least one misquotes Jesus.

3) Your statement is false and it misrepresents my presentation.
a) Wrong numbers are errors.
b) It is much more than numbers. In one gospel, Jesus told the disciples to take no staff, in another He told them they could take a staff, in a third He told them not to acquire a staff to take. Not numbers — different instructions. In one gospel, Jesus told the disciples to bring a colt. In another He told them to bring a donkey and a colt. Different, contradictory quotes. Not just numbers — errors.

4) This is a standard exaggeration people struggling against the facts to support their man-made traditions frequently use. I say repeatedly that there are a few insignificant errors that do not affect the authority or validity of scripture. Those failing to defend their false doctrine resort to fear mongering. ‘Full of errors’ is the trypical lie people hope to use in getting others to ignore their inability to explain the few insignificant errors.

5) Pointing out that the Bible itself is inconsistent with the way you have padded its resume with the false claim of inerrancy is discussing the doctrine of inerrancy. If it contradicts the evidence in the Bible, and it does, then you have failed.

6) Your claim that there must be an inerrant parallel source to disprove inerrancy is both wrong and ironic — it works against the doctrine of inerrancy. Why haven’t you seen that? Here it is simply (since you spent a post calling me a simpleton, this may be appropriate):
You claim the gospel attributed to Matthew is free of error. You claim the gospel attributed to Mark is free of error. They are parallel documents, both covering the same time and topic.

So we have two parallel and, according to your, inerrant sources that prove at least one has an error. Your own requirement has proved you, and the doctrine of inerrancy, wrong.
Let's progress. See, we are getting places.

1.) For my first question, that of "how do you know Jesus is being misquoted," you submit that you have two documents quoting Jesus, and they disagree, thus one is in error. Great. So, how do you know which is correct and which is wrong?

2.) Great. Again, we seem to slightly agree, that the Gospel accounts are definitive sources. I would accept sources outside of the Bible, if they prove and support, definitively, that found in Scripture. But how do you know that these Gospel accounts are definitive sources?

Also, by your words, if three agree and one disagrees, then the one is in error, correct? Well, Lon, glorydaz, and myself agree that the Scriptures are inerrant. You disagree. By your submitted logic, then only one is in error.

3.) My statement is not a false representation. You have argued over numbers. "Which is right," being your charge, always on which numerical representation of an object is the correct command. Yes, a wrong number can be labeled as an error; but historically and scientifically, the addition or subtraction of a single digit is negligible when determining error. When I measure freshwater species of fish, the approximation of quantity is considered accurate within a certain acceptable limit, as long as quality of specimen remains intact. The quality of the passages which you use as basis for dispute remains intact, regardless of the [number] of staffs. Thus, my posit that you are arguing on [numbers] of staffs, is accurate; you are not arguing over the mission, nor point of the passage. So, what are you arguing about? Hint: the number.

For proof, let us simply leave out numbers, and see if instructions change: take _ staff vs take _ staff. Yes, you are arguing about the missing variable.

4.) Composition of a source affects the reliability of it. Multiple errors erodes the quality of reliability. This is widely agreed upon by scholars.

5.) If there are inconsistencies in the Bible, then it becomes questionable, no? But let us take this a step further. Recall my quote from the Letter to Timothy? How can Scripture be "God-breathed" (again, with the knowledge that at this time in history, "Scripture" referred to the OT), then how can it be inconsistent? Is God's breath inconsistent or containing errors?

6.) You say, "Your claim that there must be an inerrant parallel source to disprove inerrancy is both wrong and ironic — it works against the doctrine of inerrancy." I agree. It does work against the doctrine of inerrancy. That is why I am charging you with providing it. Such evidence would elevate your position above my own.

You then go on to say, "Here it is simply (since you spent a post calling me a simpleton, this may be appropriate):
You claim the gospel attributed to Matthew is free of error. You claim the gospel attributed to Mark is free of error. They are parallel documents, both covering the same time and topic....So we have two parallel and, according to your, inerrant sources that prove at least one has an error. Your own requirement has proved you, and the doctrine of inerrancy, wrong." I believe you are confusing me with another person, as I have not mentioned Matthew's Gospel account, that I know of. And I certainly haven't addressed you as a "simpleton." I think you are in error here.

Thus far, you keep using the Gospel accounts as definitive documents, yet claiming they contain errors. This logically means that you are relying on unreliable, erroneous documents, as a base of your faith; unless you can provide an alternate source for which you are basing your faith. This is why I asked if you believe in what Christ said/taught/did; He said that He would send the Holy Spirit to guide the Apostles, which would include their composing of Gospel accounts, no? If He did this, and there are errors, it becomes the fault of the Holy Spirit. Are the Scriptures, thus the Holy Spirit, in error?

Lon

Hey kids, We were wrong! Cobra is right because he is so smart!

Hey kids, We were wrong! Cobra is right because he is so smart!

Cobra read this passage and says its a mistake. I looked. He is right, there were no staffs and suddenly, there are staffs!
Then? There was one donkey colt, and then there were two donkeys!
:doh:

How could I have missed it! He is right!

Wait, it gets better, What Cobra does next is suggest that this is proof 'poof' that the Bible has errors.

Here then is what he claims:
Mat 21:5 “Say to the daughter of Zion, ‘Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.’”
Mat 21:6 The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them.
Mat 21:7 They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and he sat on them.

<Enter Mark and Luke>

"Now you know Matthew, there was only one colt."

"Oh yeah, I forgets! Ya know I all can't count too good. I don't know whys they had me collectin' taxes. Shucks, I cants even count!"

Next a staff then, poof, no staff!

"You know we were told not to bring a staff."

"Oh yeah, I forgets."

"No, you ruined the point of what we were doing, we were told explicitly not to, and you are saying some did!"

"Oh, you is right. I shor do hope someone smart, not like me, corrects this when they is writing it down."

***********************************************************************************************************************

And there, for the whole world to see, is Cobra's idiocy. He LITERALLY believes the disciples were mentally deficient and couldn't count or follow directs. LITERALLY.

Then? He has the AUDACITY to try and hock his snake oil among intelligent believers who think calling the disciples stoopit and ign'rant is ad hominem, NOT good bible study or conclusion.

:dizzy: :baby:
I will indulge you as my foil this one final time.
Spoiler

Matthew 10:1,9-10 (KJV)
Matthew 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
Matthew 10:9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
Matthew 10:10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Mark 6:7-8 (KJV)
Mark 6:7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;
Mark 6:8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:

Luke 9:1,3 (KJV)
Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
Luke 9:3 And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.

Matthew 10:10 includes a further clarification: Do not acquire a staff as special equipment for the tour of the twelve. Matthew 10:10 often is rendered with "extra" in the verse, as in

Don't take a traveling bag for the road, or an extra shirt, sandals, or a walking stick, for the worker is worthy of his food. HCSB

The word "extra" applies to shirt, sandals, or walkings stick. Naturally the solid KJV rendering catches the "extra" meanings in the pluralizations shown therein.

Mark 6:8 teaches that this did not require that the disciples discard or leave behind the walking stick that they normally took with them wherever they went, while they were following Jesus. The twelve are to go about with the staff they had at the time, but they were not to seek one specially, or make it a condition of their travelling.

For fun see a variety of renderings:
Mark 6:8: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/mARK 6:08
Luke 9:3: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Luke 9:03
Matthew 10:10: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/matthew 10:010

No "synoptic problem" here or anywhere else in Holy Writ
. :AMR1:

Now please feel free to have the last word. I have no time to interact with anyone who denies the infallibility, and plenary verbal inspiration of Scripture. You are trying to function out of your weight class. Your fifteen minutes are up. :AMR:

AMR
Worth even the third time. :up:

I shore wishes Cobra wuzzen so smart and I is so dumb!

Lon

Lon writes:
Nope. You mentioned him as if he weren't an inerrantist.

Lon, I never implied that at all. Go back and read my post. I asked if you were familiar with him, you said yes, then I quoted him saying that putting inerrancy as a core doctrine is a slippery slope.

You have backed away from saying I misread him and was wrong about his position. You have now acknowledged that is false.

Now you have gone part of the way but not all the way to truth.

How do you think I mentioned him as if he weren't an inerrantist.
???

Show me the post. I knew his position. I never misrepresented it. Don’t call your error in reading a sin on my part. This is not honorable.

No it is not. YOU implied in 'the context' of errancy. Worse, you simply were throwing heavy-weights around as if you were even in the same room with them. I don't care where you go with this after that. I had to read for depth because there is a whole slough of controversy because of stuff like this and YOU conflated the issue like a little girl gossip when he is trying to distance from the misrepresentations. You can have the last word on this one. I'm not willing to drag Dr. Wallace's name into this any longer. I'm satisfied with what I know about him and am a bit frustrated that gossips still drag his name through the muck.

2003cobra

No it is not. YOU implied in 'the context' of errancy. Worse, you simply were throwing heavy-weights around as if you were even in the same room with them. I don't care where you go with this after that. I had to read for depth because there is a whole slough of controversy because of stuff like this and YOU conflated the issue like a little girl gossip when he is trying to distance from the misrepresentations. You can have the last word on this one. I'm not willing to drag Dr. Wallace's name into this any longer. I'm satisfied with what I know about him and am a bit frustrated that gossips still drag his name through the muck.
I understand that you are embarrassed that you misread my posts and leaped to completely unjustified conclusions. But this reaction is unworthy of a Christian.

I never implied that Wallace abandoned inerrancy. All I wrote was that he considered making it a core doctrine an inappropriate “slippery slope.” And I quoted his own words as evidence.

If Wallace abandoned the doctrine of inerrancy, he would likely be ostracized from most of his circles and lose his job. I don’t know your situation, but it may be the same. This is serious encumbrance in seeking the truth.

If anyone is dragging his name through muck, it is you. My comments on his positions have been respectful and honest. I only asked if you knew about him and then quoted his words.

Your feigning righteous indignation without justification only discredits you. Perhaps you want to use this excuse to abandon the discussion because you do not want to address the next error. I hope that is not the case. Others have not gone as far in trying to defend their false doctrine, so I appreciate what you have done so far.

If anything I said concerning Wallace is inappropriate, feel free to post a quote of mine doing so. The fact that you did not is evidence of my honesty and correctness in this matter.

2003cobra

Cobra read this passage and says its a mistake. I looked. He is right, there were no staffs and suddenly, there are staffs!
Then? There was one donkey colt, and then there were two donkeys!
:doh:

How could I have missed it! He is right!

Wait, it gets better, What Cobra does next is suggest that this is proof 'poof' that the Bible has errors.

Here then is what he claims:
Mat 21:5 “Say to the daughter of Zion, ‘Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.’”
Mat 21:6 The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them.
Mat 21:7 They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and he sat on them.

<Enter Mark and Luke>

"Now you know Matthew, there was only one colt."

"Oh yeah, I forgets! Ya know I all can't count too good. I don't know whys they had me collectin' taxes. Shucks, I cants even count!"

Next a staff then, poof, no staff!

"You know we were told not to bring a staff."

"Oh yeah, I forgets."

"No, you ruined the point of what we were doing, we were told explicitly not to, and you are saying some did!"

"Oh, you is right. I shor do hope someone smart, not like me, corrects this when they is writing it down."

***********************************************************************************************************************

And there, for the whole world to see, is Cobra's idiocy. He LITERALLY believes the disciples were mentally deficient and couldn't count or follow directs. LITERALLY.

Then? He has the AUDACITY to try and hock his snake oil among intelligent believers who think calling the disciples stoopit and ign'rant is ad hominem, NOT good bible study or conclusion.

:dizzy: :baby:

Worth even the third time. :up:

I shore wishes Cobra wuzzen so smart and I is so dumb!

It appears you are very frustrated by the errors that I have described. I ask you to prayerfully consider if your pride is getting in the way of being truthful.

2003cobra

Lon writes:
You say, "Your claim that there must be an inerrant parallel source to disprove inerrancy is both wrong and ironic — it works against the doctrine of inerrancy." I agree. It does work against the doctrine of inerrancy. That is why I am charging you with providing it. Such evidence would elevate your position above my own.

I did. In the case of Jesus’ words on the staffs, I present two parallel and (according to you) inerrant sources: Mark and Luke.

In the case of Jesus’ words on the ride for the triumphal entry, I provided one parallel and (according to you) inerrant source (Matthew) against two parallel and (according to you) inerrant sources (Mark and Luke).

In the case of the Word of God from the cloud at the transfiguration, I provided three parallel and (according to you) inerrant sources. You haven’t even attempted to explain that error yet.

Lon

It appears you are very frustrated by the errors that I have described.
Yeah I iz. Mez an dem discipuls was shor stoopit! I'm shore glad thet a smert feller likes youz came along and showed mentally deficient me and the discipuls thet we cud not count very gud. Yoo shore showed us.
Which is more intelligent, Cobra? To suggest that the disciples were simpletons, or to think, perhaps, they might have been interested in something else? Let me cut to the quick: You don't know. I don't know.
Do you know why there is a discrepancy? NO YOU DO NOT. Do I know why there is a difference? NO I DO NOT!
Further? NO HONEST PERSON could say there was a mistake because he CANNOT KNOW!!!
ALL he knows is there is a discrepancy. That is it, Cobra! You are being a simpleton! "Error" is an assumption, Cobra. YOUR assumption and it amounts to the disciples being retarded. Sorry. No. You are being a dufus. I realize other great men don't believe in inerrancy BUT YOUR example is a horrible one. Higher Criticism is largely associated with Germans from the 16-19th centuries. Other forms of criticism stemmed from this era and this type of questioning AND concluding. Now while I appreciate an honest inquiry into the text some of these become inane like the ones you've provided.

If you and I had this conversation before, on another forum, I like you and think you are an intelligent man but you've crossed a line here and aren't thinking straight or correctly. There is NO WAY you can bring up these two texts without casting grave doubts on the mental aptitude of the Apostles. NO Way. Further? You are asking 'us' to believe the Apostles cannot remember what they'd gone through. HOW IN THE WIDE WORLD, did Matthew not remember there was only one donkey!!!???? It is impossible Cobra! The intellectual integrity is to rather believe that something is different, and it MUST be purposeful. Me? At that point I'm trying to ask 'why' then, if it was purposeful. As I said, the text doesn't say AND I'm saying you took the low road because frankly: You CANNOT know this is a textual error. Read that again: You CANNOT know.
It is therefore a theological bias on your part. Worse, it makes it look like the Apostles were simpletons. It may have looked good to you on paper, but this is the height of the clown circus it becomes. Which of us, then, is employing the better intellectual process that has the higher road of integrity? Me and all the rest in this thread. You? :nono: Rethink your poor thinking, please.

I ask you to prayerfully consider if your pride is getting in the way of being truthful.
Thank you. If this is you, I ask you to do the same because knowing you, you are every bit and more as prideful. A good thing? Yes. Pride is not always bad or poor. Rather, we need to not think 'more highly' than we ought. "As high as we ought?" I think so. I pray these words echo with you and help us both with our rightful and alternately wrongful, big heads, and perhaps at times, where we've been falsely humble. In a nutshell, the walk between pride and false humility is to assess our prowess exactly right. The more we are in Christ, the better. :e4e: -Lon

Lon writes:
You say, "Your claim that there must be an inerrant parallel source to disprove inerrancy is both wrong and ironic — it works against the doctrine of inerrancy." I agree. It does work against the doctrine of inerrancy. That is why I am charging you with providing it. Such evidence would elevate your position above my own.

I did. In the case of Jesus’ words on the staffs, I present two parallel and (according to you) inerrant sources: Mark and Luke.

In the case of Jesus’ words on the ride for the triumphal entry, I provided one parallel and (according to you) inerrant source (Matthew) against two parallel and (according to you) inerrant sources (Mark and Luke).

In the case of the Word of God from the cloud at the transfiguration, I provided three parallel and (according to you) inerrant sources. You haven’t even attempted to explain that error yet.
I'll forgo this and hope the above explains the 'why' very well. The short: You DON'T and CANNOT KNOW there is an error. CANNOT. CANNOT, Cobra! "CANNOT." You 'assume' it. YOU do. Worse, it is an assumption that causes a lot of damage to the texts as well as dumbs them down. I 'assume' the scriptures (and their writers) are better than I. You? You don't realize this, but you 'assume' you are better than they (yes you do, else you'd not 'assume' they made a dumb mistake like this).

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The 73 books of the Christian Bible.

After the Lutheran and Catholic canons were defined by Luther (c. 1534) and Trent (8 April 1546) respectively, early Protestant editions of the Bible (notably the Luther Bible in German and 1611 King James Version in English) did not omit these books, but placed them in a separate Apocrypha section apart from the Old Testament...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

The apocrypha has never been considered as scripture

To the op there are 66 books of scripture.

glorydaz

Maybe EE had as much trouble getting straight answers as I do.

Well, I am not EE. When I get a chance I will fill out my profile to help clarify. I don’t have much time today to do that, as my wife and I must leave shortly to pick up a grand baby for the day.

I don't think you're Evil Eye. You're like him. A deceiver. I think you're Sonnet. First you attacked the Gospel, and now you attack the Bible, itself. You haven't changed, so don't bother with some fake "profile".

Lon

And I certainly haven't addressed you as a "simpleton."
:plain:

1) For one who's reading ability and keeping things straight, is shown as subpar, Cobra got this wrong (a mistake, perhaps a simpleton one at that?)
2) Rather than calling him a simpleton, I said his arguing amounts to calling us and the disciples 'simpletons.'
3) I then said such shallow theology is insufficient and simplistic and really beneath, even him (thus simpleton theology).

There is nothing quite like an otherwise intelligent guy trying to assert a less than intelligent propositions :Z (thus simpleton assertions).

I do believe implicitly that it is simpleton theology and beneath all of us, including him (making us all simpletons for it).

-Lon

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

1) For one who's reading ability and keeping things straight, is shown as subpar, Cobra got this wrong (a mistake, perhaps a simpleton one at that?)
2) Rather than calling him a simpleton, I said his arguing amounts to calling us and the disciples 'simpletons.'
3) I then said such shallow theology is insufficient and simplistic and really beneath, even him (thus simpleton theology).

There is nothing quite like an otherwise intelligent guy trying to assert a less than intelligent propositions :Z (thus simpleton assertions).

I do believe implicitly that it is simpleton theology and beneath all of us, including him (making us all simpletons for it).

-Lon
meshak quote - "Jesus says to be simpleton."

2003cobra

Which is more intelligent, Cobra? To suggest that the disciples were simpletons, or to think, perhaps, they might have been interested in something else? Let me cut to the quick: You don't know. I don't know.
Do you know why there is a discrepancy? NO YOU DO NOT. Do I know why there is a difference? NO I DO NOT!
Further? NO HONEST PERSON could say there was a mistake because he CANNOT KNOW!!!
ALL he knows is there is a discrepancy. That is it, Cobra! You are being a simpleton! "Error" is an assumption, Cobra. YOUR assumption and it amounts to the disciples being retarded. Sorry. No. You are being a dufus. I realize other great men don't believe in inerrancy BUT YOUR example is a horrible one. Higher Criticism is largely associated with Germans from the 16-19th centuries. Other forms of criticism stemmed from this era and this type of questioning AND concluding. Now while I appreciate an honest inquiry into the text some of these become inane like the ones you've provided.

If you and I had this conversation before, on another forum, I like you and think you are an intelligent man but you've crossed a line here and aren't thinking straight or correctly. There is NO WAY you can bring up these two texts without casting grave doubts on the mental aptitude of the Apostles. NO Way. Further? You are asking 'us' to believe the Apostles cannot remember what they'd gone through. HOW IN THE WIDE WORLD, did Matthew not remember there was only one donkey!!!???? It is impossible Cobra! The intellectual integrity is to rather believe that something is different, and it MUST be purposeful. Me? At that point I'm trying to ask 'why' then, if it was purposeful. As I said, the text doesn't say AND I'm saying you took the low road because frankly: You CANNOT know this is a textual error. Read that again: You CANNOT know.
It is therefore a theological bias on your part. Worse, it makes it look like the Apostles were simpletons. It may have looked good to you on paper, but this is the height of the clown circus it becomes. Which of us, then, is employing the better intellectual process that has the higher road of integrity? Me and all the rest in this thread. You? :nono: Rethink your poor thinking, please.

Thank you. If this is you, I ask you to do the same because knowing you, you are every bit and more as prideful. A good thing? Yes. Pride is not always bad or poor. Rather, we need to not think 'more highly' than we ought. "As high as we ought?" I think so. I pray these words echo with you and help us both with our rightful and alternately wrongful, big heads, and perhaps at times, where we've been falsely humble. In a nutshell, the walk between pride and false humility is to assess our prowess exactly right. The more we are in Christ, the better. :e4e: -Lon

I'll forgo this and hope the above explains the 'why' very well. The short: You DON'T and CANNOT KNOW there is an error. CANNOT. CANNOT, Cobra! "CANNOT." You 'assume' it. YOU do. Worse, it is an assumption that causes a lot of damage to the texts as well as dumbs them down. I 'assume' the scriptures (and their writers) are better than I. You? You don't realize this, but you 'assume' you are better than they (yes you do, else you'd not 'assume' they made a dumb mistake like this).

I understand your frustration with the scriptural text undermining your tradition of Biblical inerrancy.

The name calling doesn’t help your case, and if you are trying to make me angry, you may eventually see that shan’t happen. I am here to try to help you and others who have their faith in false doctrine, and I recognize the danger of deifying the Bible as too many do.

I never suggested that the disciples were simpletons. That is something you fabricated. I will note that the gospel attributed to Matthew is silent as to authorship in the text. Are you unaware of that?

So, if you are assuming that I attribute the errors in the gospel called Matthew to the Apostle Matthew himself, you are making a mistake. The gospel called “Matthew” was likely written or edited by those Matthew trained — and that would explain the multiple errors.

Mark was not one of the Apostles. Tradition (including Eusebius) say Mark got his information from Peter.

Luke was not one of the Apostles. He clearly states that he interviewed eyewitnesses. By the time he did those interviews, some of the stories had likely been embellished. We will get to a good example if you persist in trying to explain the minor, insignificant errors in the gospels. I reiterate that these errors do not discredit the Bible’s authority or validity; they do destroy the false doctrine of inerrancy.

John was an Apostle. And He wrote is gospel later, and it appears that he was aware of the other gospels in circulation. I know of no errors in the gospel of John.

So you will see me raise no errors from the only gospel clearly written by an Apostle.

Therefore your claim that I think the disciples were simpletons is groundless.

As to whether I know an error exists, any reasonable, honest person will agree that two documents quoting Jesus from the same event will say them same thing OR at least one has an error.

2003cobra

I don't think you're Evil Eye. You're like him. A deceiver. I think you're Sonnet. First you attacked the Gospel, and now you attack the Bible, itself. You haven't changed, so don't bother with some fake "profile".
I haven’t attacked the Bible or the gospel. I have discredited a false, man-made doctrine about the Bible.

I did update my profile. It is not fake.

I don’t know Sonnet either. I am new to this forum.

2003cobra

-Lon

Jsanford, someone called me a simpleton. I am glad it wasn’t you.

I am new here and it is difficult to keep the people straight.

In addition, today I was helping keep my 9-month-old granddaughter and that was quite enjoyable but distracting.

I sincerely apologize for confusing you with someone else.

glorydaz

As to whether I know an error exists, any reasonable, honest person will agree that two documents quoting Jesus from the same event will say them same thing OR at least one has an error.

There are many "reasonable" people who have no spiritual discernment whatsoever. They fail to understand that the writers of the Gospel were each given a mission to testify what they had been given by the Holy Spirit, and it was totally different than what the others were given. You seem to think that God was in the business of having a bunch of men write a history book, and, by God, they'd better all say the exact same thing. :down: