Redskins

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That is a known pejorative term. It should never be used.

The only words that should be an ok expletive to use these days is "white male". They deserve the shame and stigma of being the low life losers they are.

They are responsible for all the ills of the world and everyone else has just been their victims. :rolleyes:

(even though they are calling the indians fighting warrior winners, they should be offended victims of rampant hate - even though the real hate is how liberal policies treats them)

Lon

A while back the reply would have gone something like, "Good, then you can call for help." :)

A lot of people aren't, but the term was and is offensive for many, especially among the full and half bloods who don't have the option of "passing" as someone of a different ethnic origin. It wasn't that long ago that team had cheerleaders doing a phony war dance in stadium.

It wasn't coined to be. Redskin...look it up in Merriam Webster. It's usually an offensive term in usage. Well, why adopt a term that's mostly used to insult a people?
Er, because its thick-skin?

Oh, I'd bet if you were black, grew up being identified as black by the majority and one day one of that majority bought a sports team, slapped the silhouette of your race in profile and called them the "Raging Spear Chuckers" you'd probably end up offended and it would be reasonable for you to be.
Really? You think they choose names simply to make an offense? :think:
Interesting. :think:

Those the nickname of a disenfranchised people systematically oppressed and ridiculed with the full force of law? :nono:
We were oppressing each other before you arrived. That's not the point.
Then there's no meaningful parallel there, only a technical one, even in the hypothetical.
Or Polocks. Or Wetbacks. But this name wasn't supposed to be derogatory. Somebody had to look that up. We are growing into a nation of sissies. I supposed Washington Sissies would be offensive to those who have lost their masculinity.

They were looking for something catchy for their mostly white audience, I suspect. Growing up the way we did, on diets of movies where John Wayne shot six "indians" (often Italians) off of horses with a single shot, we largely found it exciting instead of what it was...okay, I doubt anyone meant anything by it beyond that and we didn't mostly know better. No willful foul.
Now we do and our response to it deserves a very different treatment.
Kevin Costner gave a decent job of it that many would be honored to call themselves Redmen. "Jews" has been used in a derogatory manner but I see no problem with New Jersey Jews. You can be offended by anything, literally. The Cleveland Indians are next, I'm sure.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What people don't like - and you'll find it the world over - is being told what not to think and what not to say, what words they can and cannot use. I know sometimes this can be offensive but really the moment there is a hint of the thought police arriving, the majority of normal people will throw a wobbly.

Rules of conduct should be basic. If you try too hard, people will rebel and start doing the exact opposite to what you want. A healthy society springs from itself not from imposition.

This is an issue more of good taste, dignity, and respect, not some insidious assault by the "thought police" who are trying to steal our "freedom," or somesuch.

What exactly would we lose here? Practically and specifically--what advantage is there in keeping this ugly little name? The ability to take another cheap shot at American Indians? Using a derogatory word steeped in blood? (Again: Check that link. Grotesque.)

We would gain just a little something, a modicum, perhaps, of respect for a proud people we've treated disgracefully. That's not asking for a whole lot.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Indignity - being called a warrior, fighter, winner

Dignity - being kept on a reservation and taken care of like a prisoner and unable to own your own land.

:think:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Indignity - being called a warrior, fighter, winner

But that's not what they're being called in this case, and you know it.

Would you call an American Indian a redskin to their face? Yes or no.

Dignity - being kept on a reservation and taken care of like a prisoner and unable to own your own land.

I'm not aware of anyone who thinks the reservation situation is anything less than a shameful disgrace.

fool

Hall of Fame
Did anyone read the article Granite linked?
It's about an newspaper posting from the 1860s about the bounty being paid for killing "Redskins".

A question for A4T;
Is the term being used there "calling the indians fighting warrior winners"?
I don't think you can make that argument because it's a bounty for killing them.
Now, in modern days people are ignorant of that connotation of the term so no offence was intended but since Granite has posted that article on the internet for the whole world to see we can no longer make that plea.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Would you call an American Indian a redskin to their face? Yes or no.

No, because i would not call a black man, black man, or a white man, white man, i would call them by their name or sir or screename or whatever.

I'm not aware of anyone who thinks the reservation situation is anything less than a shameful disgrace.

Then why arent liberals more worried about that being offensive? Thats wayyy more offensive and of concern to the American Indian than being complimented.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Political correctness is killing our society, and needs to be publicly stated and brought to attention.

Certain police departments stopped using black silhouettes because black activists argued that it caused police to shoot black people. That would have been the perfect time to stand up and bring up this ridiculous PC idiocy. But no, we replaced black with blue silhouettes, so as long as blue people don't evolve, we're okay. Pfft.

These things are a dime a dozen these days, and we're supposed to take this Redskins ordeal seriously?
The team name is supposed to be tough and manly, it has nothing to do with being racist against Native Americans.

When I see people defend the name change, I see nothing more then sensationalized nonsense- a compelling case from poetry and nothing more.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Did anyone read the article Granite linked?
It's about an newspaper posting from the 1860s about the bounty being paid for killing "Redskins".
This isnt the 1860s.

A question for A4T;
Is the term being used there "calling the indians fighting warrior winners"?
I don't think you can make that argument because it's a bounty for killing them.
Now, in modern days people are ignorant of that connotation of the term so no offence was intended but since Granite has posted that article on the internet for the whole world to see we can no longer make that plea.

I know what actual indians think about this issue.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No, because i would not call a black man, black man, or a white man, white man, i would call them by their name or sir or screename or whatever.

I see. So you think the word itself is fine, but you don't care to personally use it.

Is this because you think it reduces an individual to a stereotype or race? If so, isn't that, kind of, you know...offensive?

Then why arent liberals more worried about that being offensive?

For crying out loud, Angel, do you know anything about Native American advocacy?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I see. So you think the word itself is fine, but you don't care to personally use it.

I answered your question. No one who is NOT concerned about race would call someone by the color of their race.

What part of this escapes you, do i call you white man? Would i call a black man, black man? no.

Its because i see a man, not skin color.

Do you refer to me as white woman? No, nor would you.

For crying out loud, Angel, do you know anything about Native American advocacy?

Much, the real issues they need advocacy for - which seem to escape you.

fool

Hall of Fame
This isnt the 1860s.
And there is no bounty for killing Indians anymore, so all we have to do now is stop glorifying what is in fact a pergoritive term and we can finally be done with that ugliness.

I know what actual indians think about this issue.
Apparently not since this action was brought by "Indians".

Granite

Hall of Fame
I answered your question. No one who is NOT concerned about race would call someone by the color of their race.

I can tell you're getting worked up, as you're wont to do, but a quick suggestion: Avoid double negatives. What you're trying to say here isn't completely clear.

What part of this escapes you, do i call you white man? Would i call a black man, black man?

Yet you have no problem with calling an entire people "Redskins"? Are you only drawing the line when it comes to individuals? Seems like a double standard.

Do you refer to me as white woman? No, nor would you.

Especially since I had no clue you were white until just now.:kookoo:

Much, the real issues they need advocacy for - which seem to escape you.

Well we're not talking about those concerns, so if you like spin off another thread.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Especially since I had no clue you were white until just now.:kookoo:
I guess when you've been to my profile and my pic is right on it in the upper left corner, my skin color escaped you and ive told you before and every angel avatar ive ever had up was of a white woman with blonde hair.... and when you whined about me defending the confederate flag being to some in the south as a symbol only of being southern and said my dad used to have one on his car, you chided me about that and i said i was white right in that thread.

:kookoo: is acting like you could not imagine for the life of you that i am a white woman.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So if we call a team the Crackers, the Paleskins, or the Palefaces, that'd be an offense to white people? No, in fact it would not be. Football teams aren't looking for names that are derogatory, they are looking for names that are tough and mascots that they take pride in.
Bingo!

A sports team doesn't name itself after something they dislike or intend to mock. They named themselves the Redskins because they believed that was a tough, proud, and good, name to be called.

:mock: Liberals

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Apparently not since this action was brought by "Indians".

Oh yeah, the one's sitting in high places making problems out of nothing, which is what ALL specialty groups do.

Go down south, for example, and notice black people themselves, whether redneck or thug, making use of the Confederate flag.
Now go ask the NAACP about it, and they will say it's racist.

I mean really, the argument you are putting forth is meaningless. It is otherwise virtually true that Native Americans simply do not care, and this whole thing is just being blown out the water for no good reason.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I guess when you've been to my profile and my pic is right on it in the upper left corner, my skin color escaped you and ive told you before and every angel avatar ive ever had up was of a white woman with blonde hair.... and when you whined about me defending the confederate flag being to some in the south as a symbol only of being southern and said my dad used to have one on his car, you chided me about that and i said i was white right in that thread.

:kookoo: is acting like you could not imagine for the life of you that i am a white woman.

Well this is just a clear-cut case of how impressed you are with yourself. I've never visited your profile.

I'd like to get back on topic and not turn this into an All About Angel thread.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well this is just a clear-cut case of how impressed you are with yourself. I've never visited your profile.

I'd like to get back on topic and not turn this into an All About Angel thread.

You sure did, back when you were on my friends list - and ive told you before.

You can pretend anything you want, your name was in the little box of those who have visited my profile before and it didnt get there without you being on it, sorry.

Dont make idiotic statements and you wont get called on them.