Redskins

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The world would be a better place if you did, in fact, use a coma.
:chuckle: Not bad.

Perhaps you meant comma.
But then you couldn't resist going back to the well... :plain:

I can't believe he's keeping this ignorant thread alive.
Actually I've only returned to it in response to others playing Frankenstein. Though I suppose it is pointless to rehash the rebuttal...so I'll take a measure of the blame for this zombie.

View PostOld Today, 04:09 PM
Remove user from ignore listresurrected
This message is hidden because resurrected is on your ignore list.
Mind the glass. :)

Last edited:

shagster01

If they changed their name to the Whiteskins, do you know who would have the biggest problem with that? Non-white people. They can't not be offended by any name.

This was the case when my local university, in protest to a local high school named the Reds, changed their lacrosse team name to "The Fighting Whities." It was meant to offend white people and show them how it felt. But it backfired and T-shirt sales went through the roof. Every white person in town wanted one. People thought the name was great. Well, not everyone. Some local Hispanics were offended because it sounded like a white supremacist name. That's when I realized that minority people will never be happy with a name.

When white people didn't get offended, they quickly changed it back to the Bears. I guess they realized that we weren't so offended by our own stereotypical skin color as others are (I say stereotypical because nobody is actually "white").

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If they changed their name to the Whiteskins, do you know who would have the biggest problem with that? Non-white people. They can't not be offended by any name.
Do they all like fried chicken? Lazy like children? Once you begin to broad brush the minority dismissively you've taken a step toward the sort of mentality that allows for all sorts of things you likely wouldn't be comfortable with, your dismissal notwithstanding.

It's a bad idea.

This was the case when my local university, in protest to a local high school named the Reds, changed their lacrosse team name to "The Fighting Whities."
Now that's a poster child example of how not to get the point on the part of your school.

It was meant to offend white people and show them how it felt.
Reads more like an attempt to offend people reasonably offended by Reds. Like a, "See? We don't get bent out of shape when it's on the other foot." Dollars to doughnuts that's what you're working toward with this bit.

But it backfired and T-shirt sales went through the roof. Every white person in town wanted one.
Or, more likely, it did what it was intended to do and you're just selling the wrong angle so you can do the great reveal at the end of this.

People thought the name was great.
Of course they did. There wasn't any reason for them not to.

Well, not everyone. Some local Hispanics were offended because it sounded like a white supremacist name.That's when I realized that minority people will never be happy with a name.
That should have been the point when you realized that you need a course in logic and/or statistics. You can't make a rule on the back of a narrow view of one (who really knows how many?) sliver of one minority. And when you find yourself doing that it isn't indicative of a rule, but of your problem. Also, if it starts raining in your backyard it isn't necessarily or even likely to be raining everywhere else.

When white people didn't get offended, they quickly changed it back to the Bears.
There wasn't anything in the name to offend the white, generationally empowered majority. It wasn't a joke aimed to offend them to begin with.

I guess they realized that we weren't so offended by our own stereotypical skin color as others are (I say stereotypical because nobody is actually "white").
And there it is, the reveal, the real point here in the "joke". See? We're not that thin skinned. Offered without anything like the contextual understanding that should have kept you from reaching that error as a conclusion.

That attitude was always the point.

shagster01

Do they all like fried chicken? Lazy like children? Once you begin to broad brush the minority dismissively you've taken a step toward the sort of mentality that allows for all sorts of things you likely wouldn't be comfortable with, your dismissal notwithstanding.

It's a bad idea.

My mexican wife and kids don't like fried chicken as much as me.

Now that's a poster child example of how not to get the point on the part of your school.

Reads more like an attempt to offend people reasonably offended by Reds. Like a, "See? We don't get bent out of shape when it's on the other foot." Dollars to doughnuts that's what you're working toward with this bit.

Or, more likely, it did what it was intended to do and you're just selling the wrong angle so you can do the great reveal at the end of this.

Of course they did. There wasn't any reason for them not to.

There wasn't anything in the name to offend the white, generationally empowered majority. It wasn't a joke aimed to offend them to begin with.

And there it is, the reveal, the real point here in the "joke". See? We're not that thin skinned. Offered without anything like the contextual understanding that should have kept you from reaching that error as a conclusion.

That attitude was always the point.

Read for yourself. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

(note: I was wrong in my above post. It was actually basketball)

That should have been the point when you realized that you need a course in logic and/or statistics. You can't make a rule on the back of a narrow view of one (who really knows how many?) sliver of one minority. And when you find yourself doing that it isn't indicative of a rule, but of your problem. Also, if it starts raining in your backyard it isn't necessarily or even likely to be raining everywhere else.

You mean like how a majority of Native Americans aren't offended by Redskins according to polls, yet it's presented as being "offensive to Native Americans" as though a majority are?

I guess only one side can do that. . .

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My mexican wife and kids don't like fried chicken as much as me.
I didn't imply you were a racist, only that your thinking along those sort of lazy lines is a bad idea, both as a matter of logic and practice.

I don't tend to have time to follow links but I'll try to get to it.

You mean like how a majority of Native Americans aren't offended by Redskins according to polls,
Actually, you're off on that. I've noted the flaws in methodology of that older stat (from about four years ago I think) that simply asked if the word itself was offensive to them. Even at that level one in ten said yes. But the word doesn't exist in a vacuum. Poll blacks and you'd find who says the n-word and how it's said makes a difference in the response you get.

I linked to a study done recently (within the past year) by a reputable university that went into greater detail with the question. And when asked about the use outside of the group (some Native Americans refer to one another by that term, just as some blacks drop the n-word on one another) the response was negative to a much greater extent (somewhere in the sixties, you can find the link looking back across my posts in this thread).

yet it's presented as being "offensive to Native Americans" as though a majority are?
Because when those outside of their group use it in relation to them that's what happens, supra.

I guess only one side can do that.
As with a few things here, you're mistaken.

shagster01

It comes down to this...

If you ARE offended by what IS, that's one thing.

If you WERE offended by what WAS, that's one thing.

If you ARE offended by what WAS, then grow up and quit living on the past and expecting us to do the same.

The name Redskins falls under the last one. Nobody says it with intent to be racist now days. They say it in reference to a football team. Offended parties need to join 2014.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian chuckles:
It's their habit of citing sources that gets you riled, um?

No. It's their agenda disguised as a non-agenda.

Ah, an "agenda." Have to watch those people with an "agenda." They like to use buzzwords, you know. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It comes down to this...

If you ARE offended by what IS, that's one thing.

If you WERE offended by what WAS, that's one thing.

If you ARE offended by what WAS, then grow up and quit living on the past and expecting us to do the same.

The name Redskins falls under the last one. Nobody says it with intent to be racist now days. They say it in reference to a football team. Offended parties need to join 2014.
Excepting the overly broad "Nobody says it..." and the notion that to disagree with you is to need maturity, there's a point in what you're saying and I think it's the strongest answer for that side of it.

Condensed, recognizing that if you know someone isn't trying to insult you and you know fellow Native Americans use the term among them without meaning offense or anyone taking offense, then maybe selective insult isn't really a fair response.

That said, it's a word coined to offend and separate and if it offends people you give two figs about, let alone failing to "honor" them, as so many original objectors in this thread purported, the only reasonable thing to do is to refrain from using it. At least one in ten find it offensive regardless of who uses it and with historical reason. So their objection is to the word itself and not to the individual using it.

So even if some honestly color blind white guy decides he likes the sound of the New York Spear Chuckers and it's universally understood that he doesn't mean anything by it...it's still a horrible idea.

shagster01

At least one in ten find it offensive regardless of who uses it and with historical reason. So their objection is to the word itself and not to the individual using it.

One in ten who? Native Americans? White people?

I could really care less if white people find it offensive or not. Why in the world would white people be offended by it?

rexlunae

I could really care less if white people find it offensive or not. Why in the world would white people be offended by it?

Because it reflects an assumption of privilege by other white people to define other groups for them. I don't want to live in a society made up of white men looking out at the world and imposing their view of everyone else, which is why every time Daniel Snyder describes how he sees the name of the team that he runs, it bothers me.

shagster01

Because it reflects an assumption of privilege by other white people to define other groups for them. I don't want to live in a society made up of white men looking out at the world and imposing their view of everyone else, which is why every time Daniel Snyder describes how he sees the name of the team that he runs, it bothers me.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but for pansies just use words.