Redskins

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why dont you call me white woman? Why dont you call other people you know by the color of their skin? What an idiotic line of questioning, you are truely desperate.

If "redskin" is neither an offensive or crude word, why would you never even dream of casually addressing an Indian by it? Especially if you think it's such a grand compliment.

This is the issue, Angel: While you would personally avoid such a rotten slur--and make no mistake, that's what it is--you think a sports team's use of it is hunky dory. You're trying to have it both ways.

Forcing them to live on reservations and stating they cant take care of themselves is wayyyy worse than complimenting them as warriors, and fighters and winners granite.

I agree. But you're trying to change the subject again. The word "redskin" is not a compliment, Angel. It's a slur. It's derogatory, crude, and full of contempt. The meaning of the word has changed (check the OED for yourself) and is toxic these days.

The Washington Warriors has a nice ring to it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If "redskin" is neither an offensive or crude word, why would you never even dream of casually addressing an Indian by it?
Didnt have your coffee today? Ive already answered multiple times, i do not adress anyone by the color of their skin, because im not an idiot, you wouldnt do it either, and it has nothing to do with thinking someones skin color is offensive.

I agree. But you're trying to change the subject again. The word "redskin" is not a compliment, Angel. It's a slur.

No more than black skin or white skin is a slur granite and even if someone uses the term blackskin or whiteskin in a nasty way or letter, it wont make the color of a persons skin be a slur granite no matter how much you want it to be just because someone used it that way.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
I'm offended by the 'Atlanta Braves', because it depicts that us white men are evil and the Native Americans are to be congratulated on trying to murder us.

I think a patent veto is in order :chuckle:

*wonder why that could never be..

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
“Whites Should Be Thankful We’re Not Hanging Crackers By Nooses” - See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/whit...rackers-by-nooses_052012#sthash.suNYLYsi.dpuf

Well i guess since i am white i need to be so offended by this racist slur and death threat since cracker is a known racist slur that the name of these need to go and be changed to something else:

saltines.jpg

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
“Whites Should Be Thankful We’re Not Hanging Crackers By Nooses” - See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/whit...rackers-by-nooses_052012#sthash.suNYLYsi.dpuf

Well i guess since i am white i need to be so offended by this racist slur and death threat since cracker is a known racist slur that the name of these need to go and be changed to something else:

saltines.jpg

I mean, how many black people do you see in a Cracker Barrel :liberals:

~Time to get out the pickets~

Granite

Hall of Fame
Ive already answered multiple times, i do not adress anyone by the color of their skin, because im not an idiot, you wouldnt do it either, and it has nothing to do with thinking someones skin color is offensive.

But you said "redskin" is a complimentary word: "[C]omplimenting them as warriors, and fighters and winners." Now it sounds like you don't think it's such a compliment after all. Especially if it's a word you'd never even use.

How many other "compliments" out there can people think of they wouldn't use?

whitestone

The United States Patent & Trademark office cancelled the Washington Redskins trademark registration today. It ruled that the NFL team's name is "disparaging to Native Americans."

Thoughts, opinions?

So now that the patent and trademark is cancelled for the Washington franchise,under the n.f.l. rules they go back to the pool of unused official names and the name Redskins cannot be used by other races,,,can the Indian reservations form a new team and call it the "RESERVATION REDSKINS"?,,,,then we could still watch the Cowboys play the Redskins?,,,did anyone know the Cowboys used to be the Chiefs and then they became the Cowboys and the Chiefs became the Kansas city Chiefs?,,,,I still wonder about the "reservation redskins,I bet they just wanted their name back and their own patent and trademark",,,,

Last edited:

whitestone

the "Washington Fredskins",,the "Washington Dreadskins",,,the "Washington Breadskins"(depends on what type bread,go for rye),,,hmmm,the "Washington Rye-Breadskins",,,,,,,I think the "official Dallas cowboy Washington Rivals",,,,ahhh aint but one name left "d.c. Tornadoes"

Last edited:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
the "Washington Fredskins",,the "Washington Dreadskins",,,the "Washington Breadskins"(depends on what type bread,go for rye),,,hmmm,the "Washington Rye-Breadskins",,,,,,,I think the "official Dallas cowboy Washington Rivals",,,,ahhh aint but one name left "d.c. Tornadoes"

how about the "Washington Overly Sensitive Whiners"?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
me too, I'm sill hung up on "WHITE house",,,what do they think the capital just represents "WHITE PEOPLE?",,, lets cancel their patent,and trademark,,,lol
It's not the White People House. It's just painted white. It's a literal descriptive that has never, let alone usually, been used in a negative light, though many of its occupants can't say the same.

bybee

It's not the White People House. It's just painted white. It's a literal descriptive that has never, let alone usually, been used in a negative light, though many of its occupants can't say the same.

A point: In law, intent, is considered is it not?
It was not and is not the intent of this particular professional ball club to call themselves by a name with derogatory connotations.
These are WARRIORS after all.
It is a sport. Nothing earth shattering or societal moving, just a game.
Perhaps they good call themselves "The Sugarplums" and wear ballet slippers?
And gracious, let us be nice!

whitestone

well it is a politically correct world and there is very little difference between Red(a color)skin,,,and white(a color) house,,,

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
well it is a politically correct world and there is very little difference between Red(a color)skin,,,and white(a color) house,,,
I'd agree if I didn't own a dictionary and didn't understand that a lot of people so described take exception to the stereotype and usage. But I do own one and I am aware of their exception.

Waving the magic PC wand isn't really an argument.

whitestone

ok,whose gonna blink first?,,,,we sound just like the original argument,,,the owners of the redskins didn't mean it offensive,,,,"BUT A GROUP OF PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WAS",,,,here is the same issue,,,,some people may find white house offensive,,,,