Real Science Friday: Stretching Out the Heavens

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The facts are in the primary literature. Everything else is hearsay.

The fact is you lie and deceive at every turn. From populators of your positive rep list to your assessment of what is valid viewing material in this case.

You do nothing but spread lies, Barbarian.

Try a little honesty and humility for once and just have the conversation. Quit pretending that your presentation is the only one available. :thumb:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Barbarian cites the facts from the actual report)

The fact is you lie and deceive at every turn.

It's an empty mantra for you, Stipe. It's just something you toss into the thread when you have nothing of substance to say.

From populators of your positive rep list

You'd be astonished who has been there.

to your assessment of what is valid viewing material in this case.

The actual report is the only one that counts. Everything else is hearsay.

You do nothing but spread lies, Barbarian.

The mantra again. You're frustrated and angry. But false accusations won't help you.

Try a little honesty and humility for once. You made a mistake; you were unhappy when you learned the truth. Take some personal responsibility for a change.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian ignores the source that needs to be assessed.

It's an empty mantra for you, Stipe. It's just something you toss into the thread when you have nothing of substance to say.
Not really. You being honest and showing a little humility would do wonders for our ability to progress a conversation. :up:

I've been there. And I'm not at all astonished. You can at times make some very compelling points. You likely have another couple posts of the year coming up. :up:

But when it comes to protecting your precious evolution, nothing is allowed a fair hearing.

Deceptive and dishonest. There may very well be other reports that are very valid. Indeed, more valid. And to respond to the OP you need to address the contents of the report referenced in order to follow up on your mantra. Certainly you may be right in your little criticism, but you have not bothered to check that which you criticise past looking at a brief summary. Hardly honest behaviour, Barbarian.

The mantra again. You're frustrated and angry. But false accusations won't help you.
And this is your mantra. :idunno:

Try a little honesty and humility for once. You made a mistake; you were unhappy when you learned the truth. Take some personal responsibility for a change.
I made no mistake, I have acknowledged the validity of your little challenge, I have shown you inaccurate, deceptive and dishonest on most every distraction you've raised. Still it remains that you will never grant even time to a challenge to evolution. Listen to the show, read the article or call up - then you can counter the accusation that you are a hypocrite.

Jukia

Isn't the source that needs to be assessed Pastor Bob and Fred? According to Barb they have misunderstood the original paper. If that is the case then perhaps they can review and either write a post in support or a correction.

They could also contact the authors of the original paper to try to correct Barbarian's misunderstanding.
That might be the real honest sciencey thing to do. Don't hold your breath. Pastor Bob and Fred are too busy trying to find other work to cherry pick tidbits to confuse.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
According to Barb they have misunderstood the original paper.
Thats what you get for reading the posts of a man whose agenda is to protect evolution regardless of the cost. :chuckle:

If you read anything else you'd know that your little assessment is wrong. Try reading, Joke. :thumb:
If that is the case then perhaps they can review and either write a post in support or a correction.
Perhaps they can. :idunno:

They could also contact the authors of the original paper to try to correct Barbarian's misunderstanding.
Or we who are interested in the discussion could have the discussion. :idunno:
That might be the real honest sciencey thing to do. Don't hold your breath. Pastor Bob and Fred are too busy trying to find other work to cherry pick tidbits to confuse.
:dizzy:

Try grammar next time. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

I just gave you the tools you need to do that. Compare what Jefferson wrote about the report to the actual report. End of problem.

(Stipe falls back into screaming "liar" as a defense)

Not really.

Yep. It's meaningless filler, something you reflexively cry out when you have nothing to offer.

Barbarian suggests:

I've been there. And I'm not at all astonished. You can at times make some very compelling points. You likely have another couple posts of the year coming up.

You could make compelling points, too, if you'd abandon that habit of calling "liar!" whenever you get in a tight spot.

But when it comes to protecting your precious evolution, nothing is allowed a fair hearing.

Notice that I focus on the facts. If you did that, you'd be effective here, too. At least you'd be more effective.

Barbarian observes:

Deceptive and dishonest.

Not necessarily. They may have read something misleading other than the actual report. This is why I've suggested relying on the primary literature, not what someone else says about it.

There may very well be other reports that are very valid. Indeed, more valid.

Sounds unlikely, seeing as the actual report is by the people who found the organism, dissected it, and have the data.

And to respond to the OP you need to address the contents of the report referenced in order to follow up on your mantra.

I'd be open to your evidence that what Jefferson posted here is not an accurate representation of the program. But for some reason, you won't show us any.

Certainly you may be right in your little criticism, but you have not bothered to check that which you criticise past looking at a brief summary. Hardly honest behaviour, Barbarian.

See above. If you think he didn't provide an honest summary, show us otherwise.

Barbarian suggests to Stipe:

I made no mistake

Screaming "liar" was a huge mistake. It immediately gives everyone cause to doubt your own honesty.

I have acknowledged the validity of your little challenge, I have shown you inaccurate, deceptive and dishonest on most every distraction you've raised.

You've made the claim. But when asked to substantiate it, you ran away.

Still it remains that you will never grant even time to a challenge to evolution.

I'm doing that now. Take your best shot. Or maybe this is your best shot.

Listen to the show, read the article or call up - then you can counter the accusation that you are a hypocrite.

Don't need to. I've asked you to show us that what was presented here was not an honest summary, and you've repeatedly dodged that request. So I'm pretty sure that what Jefferson wrote is a good summary, and I merely pointed out that it didn't accurately reflect the actual report.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm doing that now.
Liar.

You've not listened to the show. You've not read the article in question. You've not called up to ask. All you've done is to read a brief comment - something you deride in others. Then you've gone to the evolution-friendly article and acted as if that counters all opposition.

Let us know when you're ready for a conversation. Perhaps then you'll be ready for a "shot". :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You've not listened to the show.

I'm assuming what Jefferson wrote is an honest representation of the issue. Is it?

You've not read the article in question.

I'm the one who found it and linked to it.

All you've done is to read a brief comment - something you deride in others.

If you think the comment is misleading, explain why.

Then you've gone to the evolution-friendly article and acted as if that counters all opposition.

The primary literature is the gold standard, yes. Any other comments on what it says must be measured by the report itself.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Doesn't matter who got it wrong. I'm just pointing out that they got it wrong. If Bob was misled by some other source that misconstrued the report, then that's what happened.

Could be an honest mistake. That's what I assumed from the start.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe, looks like barbie still doesn't realize who Bob was citing on the show. :idunno: Looks like he's willfully ignorant.
I guess he feels safer pretending that he is responding to us by responding to himself. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Sod has a white flag with "evil Barbarian" written on it. When he's got nothing of substance to contribute, he takes it out and waves it to let us know he's done.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
barbarian said:
Can't be bad for you. Just think about it. Endless Forms, Most Beautiful Sean Carroll. Worth a try.

I just read a little about Evo Devo in an article from NOVA.
I tried to tell you that this is how you can get a multitude of different species from just a few genes back on a thread about a month ago. You would have none of it. Now, that the same idea is repackaged by someone you respect, and calls it darwinian evolution, you buy it lock, stock and barrel. This is intellectual dishonesty at its worst.

some other dude

Sod has a white flag with "evil Barbarian" written on it. When he's got nothing of substance to contribute, he takes it out and waves it to let us know he's done.

There you go with that "white flag" thing again. Is there some hidden meaning behind that?

Does it mean that you're finally accepting that your argument was wrong?

Or is it just your Alzheimer's making you act silly again? :idunno: