Rand Paul's Speech on Saudi Arabia Arms Deal

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Silly rabbit, shticks are for kids. :)

If you're caught up in a right spiral every other direction looks left to you.

It isn't though.

The problem with conservatism is that it tends to defend traditions indiscriminately. The problem with liberalism is that it tends to abandon them all as thoughtlessly. I prefer an approach that demands my engagement issue by issue.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In my experience, no one suddenly hangs a left out of nowhere.
In my experience zealots will never understand, let alone advance the notion of an honorable and honest opposition, or see that men can hold contrary positions on any number of things with the same degree of integrity and consideration.

Sometimes they were badly instructed in, or unconvinced of, what they claimed to believe and ended up swayed to the left.
Or they came to their position the same way that people of character and acumen came to a different one.

Other times, they were lying the whole time.
Everyone is secretly after your Lucky Charms...just so. :plain:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
My wife teaches AP European History in high school. She puts both WWII and the current problems in the Middle East squarely on the Brits and French after that War to End All Wars. The economic sanctions put on Germany led to Hitler and the gerrymandering of the Middle East created countries out of nothing with little to hold people together but tyrants from time to time.

take away petro-dollars and the whole middle east collapses back into nomadic tribes with population densities lower than alaska

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

We invaded Iraq, when none of the 9/11 terrorists were from Iraq.

We spent almost 2 trillion dollars, lost thousands of coalition troops, tens of thousands more came home with terrible injuries both physical and mental. We caused the deaths of many thousands of civilians. We squandered much of our chance to be agents of positive change in the Middle East, instead destabilizing the entire region and creating the sort of blowback that Paul was talking about.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
We invaded Iraq, when non of the 9/11 terrorists were from Iraq.

We spent almost 2 trillion dollars, lost thousands of coalitions troops, tens of thousands more came home with terrible injuries both physical and mental. We caused the deaths of thousands of civilian casualties. We squandered much of our chance to be agents of positive change in the Middle East, instead destabilizing the entire region and creating the sort of blowback that Paul was talking about.

yeah baby! :banana: