Racisim Today

genuineoriginal

That is actually a pretty disgusting statement.
Your emotional response shows that you have spent no time looking at the problem logically.
The quality of these students is no less than any other student.
That is categorically false.
Their quality as a student is definitly lacking.
You may be thinking that their quality as a human is the same thing as their quality as a student, but that is not what is being discussed.
The circumstances that they live in everyday crests obstacles to learning that students in more affluent areas don't face.
I see you have come around to supporting my statement by adding qualifiers that prove you also think the problem is the quality of the students.

You state that the circumstances that the students live in everyday lowers the quality of the students because of the obstacles to learning that those students face.
You state that the quality of the students in affluent areas is higher because they do not face those obstacles.

If you disagree that the obstacles that the students face in the inner city will lower the quality of those students, please explain why you disagree.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Your emotional response shows that you have spent no time looking at the problem logically.

That is categorically false.
Their quality as a student is definitly lacking.
You may be thinking that their quality as a human is the same thing as their quality as a student, but that is not what is being discussed.

I see you have come around to supporting my statement by adding qualifiers that prove you also think the problem is the quality of the students.

You state that the circumstances that the students live in everyday lowers the quality of the students because of the obstacles to learning that those students face.
You state that the quality of the students in affluent areas is higher because they do not face those obstacles.

If you disagree that the obstacles that the students face in the inner city will lower the quality of those students, please explain why you disagree.

I disagree because the students in these areas are not as homogeneous as your statement suggests. There are students in these areas who do very well despite the odds that say they won't do well. Their potentials as a student for any individual exists and saying that they are low quality students allows you, and other, to write them off as not worthy of assistance.

I would not support your statement as it is more likely to perpetuate existing problems than address them and fix them.

genuineoriginal

I disagree because the students in these areas are not as homogeneous as your statement suggests.
Are there more poor quality students in low-income areas than in high-income areas?
Yes.
There are students in these areas who do very well despite the odds that say they won't do well.
Will you find poor quality students in high-income areas?
Yes.
Should you assume all students in high-income areas are high quality students?
No.
Will you find high quality students in low-income areas?
Yes.
Should you assume all students in low-income areas are low quality students?
No.
Their potentials as a student for any individual exists and saying that they are low quality students allows you, and other, to write them off as not worthy of assistance.
Others have already written off low-income area students because there are way too many low quality students in those areas.
Some idiots have decided that the way to offset the low quality of the students is to throw taxpayer money at the schools.
Neither is the answer.
I would not support your statement as it is more likely to perpetuate existing problems than address them and fix them.
I won't support your sentiments because they have been used to obstruct all the solutions that would raise the quality of the students in the low-income areas.

What causes the poor quality of students in low-income areas?
Low quality parents and other low quality students.
Low quality parents do not teach their children to be high quality students.
Low quality students interfere with the education of higher quality students.

Please notice that poverty is not on the list because poverty does not create low quality students.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Are there more poor quality students in low-income areas than in high-income areas?
Yes.
I disagree. The playing field is not equal so you cannot say categorically that a low socioeconomic area produces low quality students. If you take those students and put them into a different school they have all the raw intelligence needed to succeed.

Will you find poor quality students in high-income areas?
Yes.
Should you assume all students in high-income areas are high quality students?
No.
Will you find high quality students in low-income areas?
Yes.
Should you assume all students in low-income areas are low quality students?
No.

Others have already written off low-income area students because there are way too many low quality students in those areas.
Some idiots have decided that the way to offset the low quality of the students is to throw taxpayer money at the schools.
Neither is the answer.
More money in these areas is needed. Did you look up Maslow? Probably not. Follow the link and read what he has to say about basic needs and learning. Low socioeconomic areas have a very hard time meeting these basic needs. My mom saw it all the time in her classroom. More money is needed in these area to help restore them. They would also hugely benefit from the elimination of Welfare and increased policing. Oddly enough, decriminalizing drugs would probably help as well.

I won't support your sentiments because they have been used to obstruct all the solutions that would raise the quality of the students in the low-income areas.
By all means, please share your plan for improving education in these areas.

What causes the poor quality of students in low-income areas?
Low quality parents and other low quality students.
Low quality parents do not teach their children to be high quality students.
Low quality students interfere with the education of higher quality students.

Please notice that poverty is not on the list because poverty does not create low quality students.
I am not sure if you are racist or ignorant. I honestly see you as a part of the problem.

genuineoriginal

I disagree. The playing field is not equal so you cannot say categorically that a low socioeconomic area produces low quality students. If you take those students and put them into a different school they have all the raw intelligence needed to succeed.
More money in these areas is needed.
If you take those students and surround them with different peers, give them different parents and a different upbringing, then their raw intelligence may be enough for them to succeed in any school.
The school is not the problem, so throwing money at the school will not fix the problem.
Did you look up Maslow? Probably not. Follow the link and read what he has to say about basic needs and learning. Low socioeconomic areas have a very hard time meeting these basic needs.
I am familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
My mom saw it all the time in her classroom. More money is needed in these area to help restore them. They would also hugely benefit from the elimination of Welfare and increased policing. Oddly enough, decriminalizing drugs would probably help as well.
You are starting to identify a few of the reasons that low-income areas produce poor quality students.
By all means, please share your plan for improving education in these areas.
Until you fix the peer problem and the parent problem, you will not have a lasting strategy for improving education in those areas.
I am not sure if you are racist or ignorant.
I am neither.
I am a realist that knows that low-income areas produce poor quality students, regardless of the color of the people in those areas.
I honestly see you as a part of the problem.
Leftist policies perpetuate the problem.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
seems to me that white people are racist by default in that they are white

if they weren't racist they'd be some other color :idunno:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
seems to me that white people are racist by default in that they are white

if they weren't racist they'd be some other color :idunno:

I was having a discussion with the liberal daughter of a very liberal friend. They are Asian. She made a comment to the effect of a CIS gendered white male can't understand discrimination. I replied to her along the lines of, "If I made a statement about what somebody might understand based on the color of their skin, what would that make me?"

I got link from her and her mother explaining how it is impossible for anybody but white skinned people to be racist and then they immediately dropped out of the conversation. It was a fascinating reaction to me.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
There are many who group all old white men together and at the same time those same people say that they are not racist!

Well that is what racism is - the grouping of people by skin color. What I am more interested in is whether black people can be racist towards white people. There is a fair portion of society that thinks not.

Jerry Shugart

Well that is what racism is - the grouping of people by skin color. What I am more interested in is whether black people can be racist towards white people. There is a fair portion of society that thinks not.

Of course black people can be racist towards white people. Have you not ever heard the word "crackers" being used to describe white people by some blacks?

That is not a word of endearment.

genuineoriginal

I was having a discussion with the liberal daughter of a very liberal friend. They are Asian. She made a comment to the effect of a CIS gendered white male can't understand discrimination. I replied to her along the lines of, "If I made a statement about what somebody might understand based on the color of their skin, what would that make me?"

I got link from her and her mother explaining how it is impossible for anybody but white skinned people to be racist and then they immediately dropped out of the conversation. It was a fascinating reaction to me.
They were just upset that you called them the "r" word.