Racisim Today

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Nationalities, cultures, geographical background...

Regarding physical generalities, it would be fine to classify according to them in a world where doing so did not degrade some groups.

The correlating view when it comes to animals is that physical differences do not justify the term speciation.

Your second sentence reveals the fatal flaw in your first sentence. Any identifier we choose to use will quickly become exactly the same system that we have today. It doesn't seem to matter how well intentioned any such change may be, people will still see it as a way to oppress others.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your second sentence reveals the fatal flaw in your first sentence. Any identifier we choose to use will quickly become exactly the same system that we have today. It doesn't seem to matter how well intentioned any such change may be, people will still see it as a way to oppress others.

Fatal flaw? There's nothing wrong with describing people according to physical traits, regardless of what evil men might say.

What would you propose? We never speak of our differences?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Fatal flaw? There's nothing wrong with describing people according to physical traits, regardless of what evil men might say.

What would you propose? We never speak of our differences?

I think we need to address racism head on, openly and frankly. I don't think that is possible given that anytime anybody says anything based on statistics that separate people based on color people lose their mind. How can you begin to solve a problem if every time you attempt to talk about it people call you a racist because traditionally schools located in predominately black areas do not do as well as schools in predominately white areas? People start yelling and pounding the table screaming this is a classic example of white privilege and racism directed at the black community. How can you begin to address the very real inequalities if you can't discuss them at all?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think we need to address racism head on, openly and frankly. I don't think that is possible given that anytime anybody says anything based on statistics that separate people based on color people lose their mind. How can you begin to solve a problem if every time you attempt to talk about it people call you a racist because traditionally schools located in predominately black areas do not do as well as schools in predominately white areas? People start yelling and pounding the table screaming this is a classic example of white privilege and racism directed at the black community. How can you begin to address the very real inequalities if you can't discuss them at all?
Did someone say differences or statistics should not be presented?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
...traditionally schools located in predominately black areas do not do as well as schools in predominately white areas...

for many reasons, all stemming from the fact that african-americans have a significantly lower IQ than whites, on average

and whites are lower than asians (which has caused Harvard, among others, to institute racist policies in their admissions process)

People start yelling and pounding the table screaming this is a classic example of white privilege and racism directed at the black community.

people who do that are just demonstrating that they are, relatively speaking, morons

the reasons why we've decided, as a society, to give a voice to morons escapes me

How can you begin to address the very real inequalities if you can't discuss them at all?

why do they need to be addressed?

Rosenritter

Racism
racism and racial discrimination are often used to describe discrimination on an ethnic or cultural basis, independent of whether these differences are described as racial.

Now we have a problem.

It is very difficult to establish whether one race is superior to another race.
It is easier to establish whether one culture is superior to another culture.

Culture that practices human sacrifice vs culture that strives to protect innocent life... I will judge one of those cultures superior to the other.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
for many reasons, all stemming from the fact that african-americans have a significantly lower IQ than whites, on average

and whites are lower than asians (which has caused Harvard, among others, to institute racist policies in their admissions process)
It is not significant. I have seen some charts that show there are differences but I am not sure that I take those charts at face value. There is some indication that IQ tests do not do well at determining a persons IQ. People with more education have a higher IQ. Is it because they are smarter or is it because they have more education? IQ's have also been shown to increase with age which probably has more to do with experience than anything else.

A sad fact about modern education is that you can look at the socioeconomics of the neighborhood and get a very accurate prediction of hoe well that school performs. Turns out education has far less to do with the quality of the teachers and far more to do with how ready a student is to learn. Cold, hungry, improperly dressed students from a chaotic homes do not do well in school. There is such turmoil in their lives that they cant begin to focus on school. It is well understood that the welfare system has decimated families that need welfare resulting in many of the problems we are dealing with today.

people who do that are just demonstrating that they are, relatively speaking, morons

the reasons why we've decided, as a society, to give a voice to morons escapes me
They make for good TV. WHich is a terrible reason.

why do they need to be addressed?
Because left unaddressed they tend to lead to riots. Because they are people, our neighbors, and GOd tells us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Do you want to wonder where your next meal is coming from? Do you want to live in a neighborhood where you never know when a stray bullet will kill you or a family member? DO you want to live in a neighborhood where kids see crime as an acceptable career? If you don't want these things for you, why would you leave your neighbor in languish in those conditions?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Culture that practices human sacrifice vs culture that strives to protect innocent life... I will judge one of those cultures superior to the other.

And yet the culture that practices human sacrifice will judge itself superior.

genuineoriginal

traditionally schools located in predominately black areas do not do as well as schools in predominately white areas
Schools located in predominately single parent areas where kids that concentrate on doing schoolwork are ridiculed do not do as well as schools in predominately two parent areas where kids are encouraged to excel in schoolwork?
this is a classic example of white privilege and racism
Could the difference really be the difference in their skin color?

genuineoriginal

Cultures that destroy families vs. cultures that strengthen families . . . One of those cultures is superior to the other.
And yet the culture that practices human sacrifice will judge itself superior.
The culture that destroys families judges itself as superior as well.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Schools located in predominately single parent areas where kids that concentrate on doing schoolwork are ridiculed do not do as well as schools in predominately two parent areas where kids are encouraged to excel in schoolwork?
See my comment regarding socioeconomics and school locations. It is a demographic that tends to hold true regardless of skin color.

Could the difference really be the difference in their skin color?
Highly doubtful. The list of contributions by people of color to the world through science and social issues is long and distinguished. Talent is equally distributed, opportunity is not.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The list of contributions by people of color to the world through science and social issues is long and distinguished.

as would be expected

Talent is equally distributed,

unproven

and undefined

talent to do what?

opportunity is not.

no - i reject that

it may have been true during Jim crow, but fifty years of providing equal opportunity tells me that the opportunity is there, it's the desire to take advantage of that opportunity that's lacking

and that generalization is based in part on my observations working in the urban schools

genuineoriginal

is there any reason to believe that measurably physical differences such as skin color couldn't be linked to measurable differences in intelligence?
There are things that can cause both identifiable physical differences and measurable differences in intelligence.

Down syndrome
Down syndrome ... is typically associated with physical growth delays, characteristic facial features, and mild to moderate intellectual disability. The average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50, equivalent to the mental ability of an 8 or 9-year-old child, but this can vary widely.

However, there is more substance to the argument that a society's culture would have more influence on the overall differences in IQ between groups of humans.

The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex
by Charles Darwin, M.A., F.R.S., &c.

With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilised men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination; we build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed, and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilised societies propagate their kind.

fool

Hall of Fame
I merely pointed out that when they are presented they are shouted down as racist.

It's racist to apply generalities about a group to an individual of the group.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2017/08/19/reading-works-metro-detroit/569495001/
There is no reliable data available on the literacy rate in metro Detroit. The Detroit Regional Workforce Fund published a report in 2011 that said 47% of Detroit's adults are functionally illiterate.

Now, lets say that's true that 47% of adults in Detroit are illiterate.
That doesn't mean that any particular adult from Detroit should be assumed to be illiterate just because their a member of that group.