Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

drbrumley

Good point, they already publically shame them, since those are public records, thanks.

Your question is irrelevant, if you would like a thread to discuss whether or not drug possession should be a crime, make one, thanks. However, public intoxication could also be charged. She was also that way behind the wheel of a car, not just in the car and depending on local, could also be a crime of dui. Some localities have no tolerance policies, and if one is legally drunk or high while also behind the wheel, with keys in the ignition, they can be charged with DUI/DWI.

Right, all laws already on the books to take care of the matter.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
well, no

mugshots are public records, yes, but they're not usually publicly distributed, except for wanted felons (who aren't convicted :think: )

Please show me a news article where the accused is already refered as a wanted felon or felon period, other than one for an escapee or otherwise who has already been convicted

Even cops where you see a crime in action, gives the disclaimer that they are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
and even in that case, the intent isn't to publicly shame the offender or others who might want to offend, but to enlist the public's help in capturing them
Not always - your town you spoke about who published johns of hookers - were they looking for them after they escaped?

You said:

the city i used to live in would publicize the names of johns who had been arrested in prostitution arrests

iirc, they did not publicize the names of the prostitutes

not sure it had any affect - i passed the neighborhoods targeted on my way to and from work and there was never any shortage of hookers hanging around

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
from oxford:
maybe this will help you:

felon
noun

A person who has committed a felony.

felony
noun

A crime regarded in the US and many other judicial systems as more serious than a misdemeanour.

a felony is a crime

a felon is a person who has committed that crime

nothing about conviction

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
it does according to the definition used by oxford

Well since this application is a legal term, i would go with this definition for clarity:

felony. n. 1) a crime sufficiently serious to be punishable by death or a term in state or federal prison, as distinguished from a misdemeanor which is only punishable by confinement to county or local jail and/or a fine. ... Felonies are sometimes referred to as "high crimes" as described in the U.S. Constitution.

Who is a felon?
The term felony, in some common law countries, means a serious crime. The word originates from English common law (from the French medieval word " félonie "), where felonies were originally crimes that involved confiscation of a convicted person's land and goods.

You have to have been convicted to be a felon.

Oxford:

felon1
noun

A person who has committed a felony.

But then look at their example 'sentences' for clarity :

‘When a convicted felon commits a crime they take his DNA.’

‘I mean do you ever see situations where monies are taken away from convicted felons in order to compensate the victims?’

‘If you're a convicted felon, go where felons are, not where good people are.’

‘Passengers discovered the man, a convicted felon on probation for burglary, hiding in an airplane restroom.’

This by far isnt all those listed but each one used the word 'convicted' before the word felon, because untill one is found guilty the word felon never applies to begin with.

Their own sentences show the mistake by not expanding their definition to the correct legal term. (since its a legal term)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
go back and read what i wrote

I did and it says what i stated:

the city i used to live in would publicize the names of johns who had been arrested in prostitution arrests

iirc, they did not publicize the names of the prostitutes

not sure it had any affect - i passed the neighborhoods targeted on my way to and from work and there was never any shortage of hookers hanging around

Were those johns on the run?

ok doser

from wiki:

A person who has committed a felony is a felon, and upon conviction of a felony in a court of law is known as a convicted felon or a convict. In the United States,...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
from wiki:

A person who has committed a felony is a felon, and upon conviction of a felony in a court of law is known as a convicted felon or a convict. In the United States,...

Keep acting ignorant. A person is INNOCENT untill proven guilty, you keep missing that step.

You are like the atheist who ignores context and tries ad absurdsom to stick to a literal rendering quite apparant to be incorrect or missing context.

ok doser

merriam webster:

felon play
noun fel·on \ˈfe-lən\
Popularity: Bottom 50% of words
Simple Definition of felon

: a criminal who has committed a serious crime (called a felony)

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Full Definition of felon

: one who has committed a felony

archaic : villain

"committed" not convicted

ok doser

Black's gives you a choice:

The Law Dictionary Featuring Black's Law Dictionary Free Online Legal Dictionary 2nd Ed.

What is FELON?

One who has committed felony; one convicted of felony.

Law Dictionary: What is FELON? definition of FELON (Black's Law Dictionary)

your choice - committed or convicted

ok doser

What an awesomely unreal library you have that's open this late on a Sunday night, doser! Congrats!

i get tardlyartie's bizarre fascination with the fact that I often post from the libray (because he's a retard)

and i get acw's weird fascination with it (because he's an obsessive troll)

kinda odd coming from you :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
i get tardlyartie's bizarre fascination with the fact that I often post from the libray (because he's a retard)

and i get acw's weird fascination with it (because he's an obsessive troll)

kinda odd coming from you :idunno:

Mentioning and obsessed with are the same in your world?