Pope Rejects God's Word on Death Penalty

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Why should it matter what the pope says he's just another man?

everready

1. Naturally speaking, the pope is an extremely intelligent, well-educated, experienced, etc. person. He is older, smarter, better-read and wiser than you. In virtue of all of that, he commands your respect. If I compare your intellectual achievements to that of the pope, there is simply no contest. The pope is great. He is world-class. You are not.

In fact, even in terms of virtue, if we examine the way that you and he each live your lives, we would probably find that the pope is much better and more virtuous than you are. :idunno:

2. Supernaturally speaking, he holds a position of doctrinal and pastoral authority which has been conferred on his office by Jesus Christ Himself.

Cruciform

You understand that quoting the Catechism doesn't really answer my points, yes?
Thought I'd cut to the chase, since I think we both agree that your points (or mine, or anyone's) can do nothing whatsoever to dilute or set aside the inherent doctrinal authority of the Church's established teachings as expressed in the Catechism, yes?

My answer is that the preservation of the order of justice is a constituent part of the common good, and this only can be preserved if the State executes those persons who have committed crimes worthy of death.
You appear to disagree with Christ's Church with respect to what actually constitutes "death worthiness." My question then is who actually possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to bindingly decide such a conflict--- [1] Christ's one historic Church, or [2] lay believers like you and I?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Thought I'd cut to the chase, since I think we both agree that your points (or mine, or anyone's) can do nothing whatsoever to dilute or set aside the inherent doctrinal authority of the Church's established teachings as expressed in the Catechism, yes?

I fully agree that divinely revealed faith and the light of natural reason cannot conflict, and I further affirm that the Scriptures, Sacred Tradition and the authority of the unbroken succession of bishops, expressed especially in the doctrinal councils of the Church, and, furthermore, the infallible pronouncements of the pope (where applicable) are completely inerrant.

However, in the case of the catechism, if you check out the footnotes on why the death penalty isn't really an option nowadays, you'll see references to relatively recent encyclicals by St. Pope John Paul II. Somehow, I'm not particularly impressed. If you in turn tell me that everything in the Catechism should be given pious assent, I'll answer that at least one previous edition of the catechism (if I am not in error) included a notion of "the right to know" in the definition of lying. Again: I'm not impressed. :idunno:

You appear to disagree with Christ's Church with respect to what actually constitutes "death worthiness."

I disagree with St. Pope John Paul II and Pope Francis. Let's be clear on that. I disagree with those two (extraordinarily gifted, wise and well educated) guys (maybe three, if we include Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI).

My question then is who actually possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to bindingly decide such a conflict---Christ's one historic Church, or lay believers like you and I?

1. Your question only makes sense if we presuppose that the question is intrinsically religious and proper to divinely revealed faith. That is, of course, true when I ask you about the apparent conflict between the teachings of (very recent) modern popes and the clear teachings of the Old Testament. Aside from the Law, I also appeal to Genesis 9:6.

If the Church or the prelates thereof have explained the apparent conflict, then by all means, please point me to such explanation. I am more than eager to understand such things.

2. At the natural level, your question doesn't make sense. I don't have to be a Christian, or at all religious, for the question of the death penalty to come up. That's a question that will arise in any well-ordered civil society. It is a question which requires, first and foremost, a philosophical (ethical/political) solution (and until such a solution is given, frankly, I don't really care about the religious solution; I don't need to do theology to know that 2+2=4 :idunno:).

At this level, the question of authority (especially of religious authority) does not arise. Here we must attend to the nature of justice (proportional equality), what this means in retributive/criminal law (arithmetic proportion), and the severity of the crime in question. At the natural/philosophical level, there is no question of pitting this authority against that authority. We must look to the things themselves (ta pragmata auta; res ipsa). If you consider such things, it seems to me as though arithmetic proportion requires the execution of certain classes of criminals. Anything less would not be arithmetically proportionate.

"Why does he deserve to die?" "Because he kidnapped, raped, tortured and brutally murdered a complete stranger. I mean, if the State could kill him more than once, then it totally should. He most certainly deserves it. But the State can only torture him for so long, can only kill him once. So that's the best that we can do. We'll have to settle for that."

Last edited:

Angeltress

In the United States, we have something called 'separation of church and state'.
In other words, the Catholic church does not have the authority to decide whether or not to execute anyone.
Neither does any other denomination.
Given the history of the RCC, I'd say that's a good thing....

Cruciform

However, in the case of the catechism, if you check out the footnotes on why the death penalty isn't really an option nowadays, you'll see references to relatively recent encyclicals by St. Pope John Paul II. Somehow, I'm not particularly impressed... I disagree with St. Pope John Paul II and Pope Francis.

Apostolic Constitution Fidei Depositum:
"The project [of producing the Catechism] was the object of extensive consultation among all Catholic Bishops, their Episcopal Confrences and Synods, and of theological and catechitical institutes. As a whole, it received a broadly favorable acceptance on the part of the Episcopate. It can be said that this Catechism is the result of the collaboration of the whole Episcopate of the Catholic Church... The achievement of this Catechism thus reflects the collegial nature of the Episcopate; it testifies to the Church's catholicity."

So no, you're not simply disagreeing with a couple of popes, but rather with "the whole Episcopate of the Catholic Church" (the Magisterium), whose members collaborated on its completion, and sanctioned its promulgation.

"Why does he deserve to die?" "Because he kidnapped, raped, tortured and brutally murdered a complete stranger. I mean, if the State could kill him more than once, then it totally should. He most certainly deserves it. But the State can only torture him for so long, can only kill him once. So that's the best that we can do. We'll have to settle for that."
1 John 3:15

For more info, see this, this, this, and this.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

republicanchick

interesting How often popes who hear from God change their own traditions

like burning supposed heretics at the stake.
and torturing them until they recant

now it is considered inhuman and an offense to the dignity of life.

do the dance.
change the infallibility of the popes hearing from God, as God matures in his perspective of man.

i think some indulgences are in order

how much will the indulgence cost if the next pope changes his mind on capital punishment.

u obviously get your information (so called) about the Church from the funny papers

Until you read some REAL history, I myself am not going to waste my time responding..

you are the kind who will believe anything... save the truth

you may want to be careful in the future what trash you allow to infiltrate your mind.

not good to let just any old thing into the old gray matter

___

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So no, you're not simply disagreeing with a couple of popes, but rather with "the whole Episcopate of the Catholic Church" (the Magisterium), whose members collaborated on its completion, and sanctioned its promulgation.

Pointed noted. I have no comments one way or the other, except to say that I've noted your point.

1 John 3:15

Exceedingly weak point. You and I both know that retributive justice is not the same thing as hatred. Saying that such and such a man has done x, y and z, and the due merit for his crimes is death, and that to give death to such a person as the due reward for his crimes is a strict obligation of the State, is not to be motivated by hatred. Again, that's not hatred. That's retributive justice, and justice, let us note, Cruciform, is a virtue.

So, I'll ask you plainly:

I've presented a number of arguments. Do you have an answer to any of them?

I have yet to see anyone, Catholic or otherwise, adequately answer my argument, namely, that the death penalty is a strict obligation of retributive justice because certain classes of actions naturally call for such a punishment (and, let us note, Immanuel Kant agrees, though you shouldn't be persuaded by this one way or the other). A certain colleague of mine insists that the death penalty is unnecessary for the common good, but he refuses to demonstrate this or clarify his notion of the common good any further (insofar as I can understand him). When I insist that justice, and, thus, proportional equality, is a constituent part of the common good, he refuses to admit of any notion of justice which does not have reference to the common good. "But why," he will insist, "is that the just penalty?" As though the answer were not adequately clear if we understand justice in terms of proportionate equality (generally speaking) and arithmetic proportion (in terms of retributive justice).

One article that I read went through different purposes of punishment. Rehabilation, retribution, etc. There were like five of them. The article didn't spend much time on retribution, but frankly, that's the only one that I'm interested in. Punishment is per se retributive!

Literally the only reason that someone should be punished is because he or she deserves it!

And, let us note, all of these Catholics (and other misguided Christians) who insist on just how cruel the death penalty is and talk about how only the least cruel course of action should be taken (life in prison, if necessary, not death...if only death can be avoided)...what will these Catholics (and other misguided Christians) say in explanation of the pains of the senses in Hell?

There is no hope of correction. They most certainly are not necessary to render the damned harmless. No, none of that. The only thing that can be said in defense of this, and let us call it what it is, torture of the damned is that they deserve it as the just penalty of their crimes.

And what will you say? Will you tell me that the State does not have the right to carry out justice here? Or does it not have the ability? But to say either seems ridiculous, doesn't it?

But you will tell me, perhaps, as I read in one article: "But so and so murdered so many people. We can only kill him once." Therefore, we should conclude from this, we shouldn't even kill him once? Since we cannot carry out perfect justice, we should carry out an even more imperfect justice than that of which we are capable? But again, phrased like that, that just sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Last edited:

bybee

Pointed noted. I have no comments one way or the other, except to say that I've noted your point.

Exceedingly weak point. You and I both know that retributive justice is not the same thing as hatred. Saying that such and such a man has done x, y and z, and the due merit for his crimes is death, and that to give death to such a person as the due reward for his crimes is a strict obligation of the State, is not to be motivated by hatred. Again, that's not hatred. That's retributive justice, and justice, let us note, Cruciform, is a virtue.

So, I'll ask you plainly:

I have yet to see anyone, Catholic or otherwise, adequately answer my argument, namely, that the death penalty is a strict obligation of retributive justice because certain classes of actions naturally call for such a punishment (and, let us note, Immanuel Kant agrees, though you shouldn't be persuaded by this one way or the other). A certain colleague of mine insists that the death penalty is unnecessary for the common good, but he refuses to demonstrate this or clarify his notion of the common good any further (insofar as I can understand him). When I insist that justice, and, thus, proportional equality, is a constituent part of the common good, he refuses to admit of any notion of justice which does not have reference to the common good. "But why," he will insist, "is that the just penalty?" As though the answer were not adequately clear if we understand justice in terms of proportionate equality (generally speaking) and arithmetic proportion (in terms of retributive justice).

One article that I read went through different purposes of punishment. Rehabilation, retribution, etc. There were like five of them. The article didn't spend much time on retribution, but frankly, that's the only one that I'm interested in. Punishment is per se retributive!

Literally the only reason that someone should be punished is because he or she deserves it!

And, let us note, all of these Catholics (and other misguided Christians) who insist on just how cruel the death penalty is and talk about how only the least cruel course of action should be taken (life in prison, if necessary, not death...if only death can be avoided)...what will these Catholics (and other misguided Christians) say in explanation of the pains of the senses in Hell?

There is no hope of correction. They most certainly are not necessary to render the damned harmless. No, none of that. The only thing that can be said in defense of this, and let us call it what it is, torture of the damned is that they deserve it as the just penalty of their crimes.

And what will you say? Will you tell me that the State does not have the right to carry out justice here? Or does it not have the ability? But to say either seems ridiculous, doesn't it?

But you will tell me, perhaps, as I read in one article: "But so and so murdered so many people. We can only kill him once." Therefore, we should conclude from this, we shouldn't even kill him once? Since we cannot carry out perfect justice, we should carry out an even more imperfect justice than that of which we are capable? But again, phrased like that, that just sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Lately I have been mulling over the nature of murderers. It seems they feel justified in the taking of life from another human YET, wish to preserve their own lives.
That is not a logical way to think or behave.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
[Pope Rejects God's Word on Death Penalty] :eek:linger: "Capital punishment is cruel, inhuman and an offense to the dignity of human life. In today's world, the death penalty is "inadmissible, however serious the crime" that has been committed. That was Pope Francis' unequivocal message to members of the International Commission against the death penalty who met with him in the Vatican. Read more.

[Mike Gendron Comment] The pope is once again deliberately rejecting the supreme authority of God's Word which declares: without ambiguity "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image" (Gen. 9:6)." :poly: Pro-Gospel.org

Are you aware of how many who receive the death penalty are later found innocent?

Cruciform

Yes. However, I have no real desire to spend time composing lengthy and detailed posts on the minutia of the subject. I believe the sources cited in Post #65 touch on most of your points. Otherwise, there is a mountain of Catholic material---some quite philosophical---on the topic of Capital Punishment. I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Husband&Father

A liberal blog posted an article against capital punishment. Here is the response: Link Removed What do you think? Good response or lacking?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Pope Francis is absolutely right, and what he's saying is exactly what the Catholic church does . The death penalty is now considered barbaric, inhumane and unjust by the Vatican , and this is was its position on it long before the current Pope was elected .
America needs to abolish the death penalty . Every country in Europe did this long ago and their murder rates don't even come remotely close to ours .
Just because SOME Christians in America support it doesn't mean our government should . We are not a Christian theocracy - not yet, that is. Our laws should not be based on the selective, arbitrary and capricious interpretation of the Bible of evangelical Christians . The overwhelming majority of American Catholics are also opposed to the death penalty .
It doesn't reduce crime , reduce the murder rate or make society safer .

quip

BANNED
Banned
[Pope Rejects God's Word on Death Penalty] :eek:linger: "Capital punishment is cruel, inhuman and an offense to the dignity of human life. In today's world, the death penalty is "inadmissible, however serious the crime" that has been committed. That was Pope Francis' unequivocal message to members of the International Commission against the death penalty who met with him in the Vatican. Read more.

[Mike Gendron Comment] The pope is once again deliberately rejecting the supreme authority of God's Word which declares: without ambiguity "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image" (Gen. 9:6)." :poly: Pro-Gospel.org

Why doesn't God smite the wicked Himself? Eliminate the -all too fallible- middleman?