ECT Our triune God

Lon

The divinity of Jesus is the Father Himself, so of course His divinity was uncreated.

You do not see the union of man with God. You deny the gospel record and prefer the writings of blind men.

I missed a page.

To PNEUMA--

Your problem is that you think the Word was a separate living conscious person with the Father before Jesus was born and made by His word.

RCC heresy.

LA
Realize debating against the Triune view isn't part of the ECT section. I've appreciated you participating and you may indeed question what is said here, but be careful to realize as part of ECT, it makes a distinction between those who don't believe the Lord Jesus Christ is God.

In a nutshell, don't drag an arian or Unitarian debate into the thread. Rather, and I empathize, bring scripture but try to not cause a direct confrontation. This thread is only to explain the Triune view so any challenge or question along that line of intent, and thanks. -Lon

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Realize debating against the Triune view isn't part of the ECT section. I've appreciated you participating and you may indeed question what is said here, but be careful to realize as part of ECT, it makes a distinction between those who don't believe the Lord Jesus Christ is God.

In a nutshell, don't drag an arian or Unitarian debate into the thread. Rather, and I empathize, bring scripture but try to not cause a direct confrontation. This thread is only to explain the Triune view so any challenge or question along that line of intent, and thanks. -Lon

I do believe Jesus Christ is God.

You just do not understand how I can believe that, nor want to.

You can have it as you want.

LA

Lon

When Jesus Christ Became Man - Kenosis discussion

When Jesus Christ Became Man - Kenosis discussion

Thank you and no, I don't have commentaries to offer up in addition to my own.. Sorry.
I'll keep going on my end for now then. Thank you.

When Jesus Became Man

Like the "Triune/Trinity" doctrine, the doctrine of Christology given by the council of Chalcedea gave a negative creedal statement (one that wasn't composed to be definitive nor explain a mystery, but to protect against false ideas untenable by scripture).

We often may see one not quite espousing our own view, but if they can embrace the creeds as we do, we should endeaver, I think, to understand and treat one another within the context of Christendom. This isn't a halmark on TOL, but most don't understand orthodoxy as inclusive who would ostracize here on TOL, if there is any disagreement at all. So, even though orthodox doctrine is separating, it only seeks to separate what is outside of biblical parameters. By such, we are ourselves corrected and urged to a correct biblical theology (I've been corrected even on TOL and am thankful), we also can help others from reading something in clarity, and we may also see where we fall on the anvil of orthodoxy.

One theologian summed up the credal truth: ...The divine nature did not undergo any essential change in the incarnation -Berkhoff
Berkhoff said that the divine Saviour could not be ignorant, weak, tempted, nor could suffer and die, as to His divine nature, but rather only by His human nature.
He cautioned that any of our speculation of the interpenetration of the two natures of Christ between His divinity and humanity, should not result where the divine is humanized, nor the human deified. "The deity cannot share in human weaknesses; neither can man participate in any of the essential perfections of the Godhead," he said.
The Athenasian Creed has a helpful but limited illustration (remember both creeds leave 'mystery' intact): Man is physical in flesh, but the spirit in us (awakened/alive in believers hid in Christ) defines us apart from our physical bodies. It said that man, then exists a body and spirit, co-mingled with distinction yet inseparable. Berkhoff refered to this creed and suggests the analogy isn't sufficient for all considerations and that the Lord Jesus Christ's nature has no true comparison and must maintain a mystery of acceptance and is stated like the Chalcedonian creed as a negative (protecting against heresy rather than trying to become definitive).

A bit firmer on no loss of deity at Christ's incarnation, R.C. Sproul and quoting Augustine said this: Christ’s existence as true God and true man, as well as the reality of the transcendent Lord of glory entering into history to save His people, are both profound mysteries. What we do know is that, against those who would espouse a “kenotic Christology,” the Son did not give up any of the attributes that are essential to deity in the incarnation. Instead, He manifested the form of God in the likeness of humanity. Augustine wrote, “He is said to have ‘emptied himself’ in no other way than by taking the form of a servant, not by losing the form of God. For that nature by which he is equal to the Father in the form of God remained immutable while he took our mutable nature” -R.C. Sproul
Sproul further said that any doctrine that removes any attribute of God from the Lord Jesus Christ, also would remove His ability to save us (as well as be problematic when such is displayed intact in scripture -"Even the winds and waves obey Him!")
I found this article helpful but his view of kenoticists of any kind is that they are heterodox at best and neo-heretics at worse. Still, I think he describes present kenotic theology and its expression that one can identify with what they espouse and preach.

I haven't yet found a kenotic advocate redressing these issues nor am I sure of your position Cross Ref. I'm at this point trying to give an overview and perhaps hit on something that hits home or strikes a cord that helps you express your position and belief. -Lon

Last edited:

Lon

I do believe Jesus Christ is God.

You just do not understand how I can believe that, nor want to.

You can have it as you want.

LA

This section is more about discussion. This thread is more about support and discussion for the Triune view. As such, I don't mind questions about the triune view, I just don't want it to become like other threads to date, that do not end well. It is really to discuss the triune view. BUT that can include questioning it, just not soapboxing another view, as I understand this section. I am trying to be humble in that request and parameter. Thanks

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
As you are . . and for the same reasons, I add.

Incorrect. This is exactly what I mean. You make an autonomous individual judgment based upon your own derived and contrived doctrine with NO linguistic understanding whatsoever.

You cannot conceive of someone spending two decades divesting themselves of every presupposition to unequivocally know the singular, central, absolute, and objective truth of the authentic historical and orthodox Christian faith with no taint from their own heart and mind. In addition, one must also spend a great amount of time knowing what NOT to know.

You presume it's all varying opinions juxtaposed against one another, with yours being the valid and superior one because of what you've experienced and acquired. Most do exactly this, which is why there are near endless variations of every doctrine.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
When was it [time frame] that John actually knew this about Jesus to declare it?:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

John 1:1-5ff (KJV)

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth".
John 1:14 (KJV)

If I were to paraphrase vs 14, I would add the words: [But then after four thousand years] the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us..

Yes and what we don't know is how the Father communicated with Him during those 4 thousand years.

The Son did the Father's will even at that time.

It was always his will to do the Father's will.

The only time we see Jesus struggle was when it was going to cost him.

That cost was suffering.

I think that God was teaching his son all during those 4 thousand years.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber

^^Bolded^^

OR... An Adoptionist debate, which is Arianism or Unitarianism with divinity in some manner included for the Son without Him being eternal and uncreated as the Logos.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
To PNEUMA--

Your problem is that you think the Word was a separate living conscious person with the Father before Jesus was born and made by His word.

RCC heresy.

LA

NO. Of all the things anyone could ever attempt to level at me as criticism, this would be among the very last; and it is my issue with conventional Trinitarians, as I have clearly and repeatedly asserted on this very forum.

The eternal uncreated Son did NOT have distinct sentient volitional consciousness from the Father or the Holy Spirit. The Trinity is not multi-hypostatic and uni-/dyo-phenomenal, but is uni-/dyo-hypostatic and multi-phenomenal.

I don't expect you to ever understand what that means, for professing alleged modern Trinitarians themselves are too functionally Tritheistic to comprehend it. But know that I do NOT affirm the Trinity in multi-personal form or to include distinct multiple eternal minds and wills. That much should be clear from my tenure on TOL, if nothing else ever is.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
No. You define it. Maybe the Greek will bail you out.

I knew you couldn't and wouldn't. You use terms for which you have a predetermined and presupposed casual understanding and application that is erroneous.

If you don't even know the difference between Theos/Theios or Theotes/Theiotes, then you have no idea what "Godhead" means to even use it in a sentence, much less for doctrinal reference. Eek. Please just stop. (But you won't. You can't. Nobody can. That's the effect of Modernism on this age and this western culture.)

BEcause when one tempted he is left alone . . all alone. See the examples given in this like Adam, Abraham, JESUS!

Eve? Adam was not alone. Isaac? Abraham was not alone. And you don't understand the meaning of the word "tempt/ed/ation". Englishizers all think they know what the words mean in scripture by translation, but it's a casual and reverse imposition of English upon Greek in most hearts and minds.

Consider you are in error in your understanding of what you read.

Since I most often quote preeminent lexicography, that is not the case at all. Not even close. And Charismatics are generally the furthest from the truth overall. (And I'm a Biblical Continuationist saying that, not a Cessationist.)

Because he makes more sense than you.

He's a Theophostic Counselor and Prayer Guide. I know many such ministers and ministries. All are a hybridization of psychological phenomenon and mild-to-wild subtleites of the occult. It's a new exploding trend in Third Wave Charismaticism and the New Apostolic Reformation cults; and it's ancient Montanism run amok and syncretized with every form of non-Christian religious belief and practice of all the ages. It's just not obvious to most, especially because it "works" in certain ways.

It's heterodox in every possible manner, while using Christian jargon and providing some kind of "encounter" and "experience".

Simply put, you have knowledge of God. . . .

Yes, epignosis and oida. If you knew what those were and had them, you wouldn't say the following...

only a bunch of head knowledge about God written by coptic Greek scholars who also had no relationship with Him.

Wow. Way to throw all the historical men of God under the bus and exalt Modernism and its garbage that has been Trojan-horsed inside the "Church" and deceived millions upon millions in the last century or a bit more.

Bull.
You are barking up the wrong tree. I know the man. He is proficient in both the Hebrew and Greek. He has been a Professor in a well known Bible college for at least 30 yrs. So where does that place you with your conceit, novice? I believe you would argue with Jesus if He was on Earth in this present day. . . an call Him a cult figure. I'll bet you don't know what eternal is. You don't have a clue.

I know exactly what aidios and aionios mean. Historically, few have even approached it, which is part of my main critical and reconciliational excurses on all major orthodox doctrines.

The guy does Theopostic Counseling and Prayer as a ministry. Jesus didn't. Paul didn't. None of the other Apostles or ANY of the early Patristics did (with the exception of the heretical Montanists).

He is heterodox. Fact. Might be a nice guy. Might be a decent teacher in other ways. But his prayer ministry is at the outer fringes of what could even be remotely considered actual Christianity. I wouldn't let him lay hands on me for anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
What has convinced you they didn't research sufficiently that they might have arrived at your conclusions?

Because they represent anarthrous Greek nouns as articular,and on those subtle errors they build major doctrines that challenge core authentic historical orthodox doctrines of the Faith.

I teach this weekly for hours. Every last person who has ever sat through even a single two-hour session leaves doe-eyed and pale-faced because they realize they've believed groups and layers of subtle lies from not having known the meanings of words they have constantly used and applied for doctrinal false understanding.

The same thing would happen if you could ever listen instead of presuming this is just opinion against opinion and you have to be right because you're you and that's all you know and believe.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I believe one of my professors was very close to your view. In turn, he had me accepting quite a bit of the kenosis theology yet endeavoring, as you, to skirt away from the heresy that Jesus was only man at incarnation.

Since then, a few godly professors have pulled me aside and explained patiently problems with the Lord Jesus Christ not being fully God while man.

I think Unitarians and Arians and Adoptionists are likely more eligible for salvific faith that extreme Kenoticists. It's a plague upon the Body, and it largely stems from a few influences, including Hegel (the Theosophist/Gnostic "Philosopher").

Toss in Barth's Universal Atonement nonsense, and voila... Rampant heterodoxy that looks like the Christian faith, but is cultic (and often occultic).

Reactions: Lon

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I'll keep going on my end for now then. Thank you.

When Jesus Became Man

Like the "Triune/Trinity" doctrine, the doctrine of Christology given by the council of Chalcedea gave a negative creedal statement (one that wasn't composed to be definitive nor explain a mystery, but to protect against false ideas untenable by scripture).

We often may see one not quite espousing our own view, but if they can embrace the creeds as we do, we should endeaver, I think, to understand and treat one another within the context of Christendom. This isn't a halmark on TOL, but most don't understand orthodoxy as inclusive who would ostracize here on TOL, if there is any disagreement at all. So, even though orthodox doctrine is separating, it only seeks to separate what is outside of biblical parameters. By such, we are ourselves corrected and urged to a correct biblical theology (I've been corrected even on TOL and am thankful), we also can help others from reading something in clarity, and we may also see where we fall on the anvil of orthodoxy.

One theologian summed up the credal truth: ...The divine nature did not undergo any essential change in the incarnation -Berkhoff
Berkhoff said that the divine Saviour could not be ignorant, weak, tempted, nor could suffer and die, as to His divine nature, but rather only by His human nature.
He cautioned that any of our speculation of the interpenetration of the two natures of Christ between His divinity and humanity, should not result where the divine is humanized, nor the human deified. "The deity cannot share in human weaknesses; neither can man participate in any of the essential perfections of the Godhead," he said.
The Athenasian Creed has a helpful but limited illustration (remember both creeds leave 'mystery' intact): Man is physical in flesh, but the spirit in us (awakened/alive in believers hid in Christ) defines us apart from our physical bodies. It said that man, then exists a body and spirit, co-mingled with distinction yet inseparable. Berkhoff refered to this creed and suggests the analogy isn't sufficient for all considerations and that the Lord Jesus Christ's nature has no true comparison and must maintain a mystery of acceptance and is stated like the Chalcedonian creed as a negative (protecting against heresy rather than trying to become definitive).

A bit firmer on no loss of deity at Christ's incarnation, R.C. Sproul and quoting Augustine said this: Christ’s existence as true God and true man, as well as the reality of the transcendent Lord of glory entering into history to save His people, are both profound mysteries. What we do know is that, against those who would espouse a “kenotic Christology,” the Son did not give up any of the attributes that are essential to deity in the incarnation. Instead, He manifested the form of God in the likeness of humanity. Augustine wrote, “He is said to have ‘emptied himself’ in no other way than by taking the form of a servant, not by losing the form of God. For that nature by which he is equal to the Father in the form of God remained immutable while he took our mutable nature” -R.C. Sproul
Sproul further said that any doctrine that removes any attribute of God from the Lord Jesus Christ, also would remove His ability to save us (as well as be problematic when such is displayed intact in scripture -"Even the winds and waves obey Him!")
I found this article helpful but his view of kenoticists of any kind is that they are heterodox at best and neo-heretics at worse. Still, I think he describes present kenotic theology and its expression that one can identify with what they espouse and preach.

I haven't yet found a kenotic advocate redressing these issues nor am I sure of your position Cross Ref. I'm at this point trying to give an overview and perhaps hit on something that hits home or strikes a cord that helps you express your position and belief. -Lon

If you think about, Nestorianism is downright orthodox compared to extreme Kenoticism.

fzappa13

Misunderstanding the forms of the word Theos (Theios, Theon, Theion, Theotes, Theiotes), and the articular and anarthrous constructs of them, leads to MANY fallacies.

The landscape of pseudo-Christian movements and individual beliefs is littered with a wide variety of these false understandings, with most proponents fighting to the death for their heterodoxy.

...and then there is "elohim" ...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yes and what we don't know is how the Father communicated with Him during those 4 thousand years.

The Son did the Father's will even at that time.

It was always his will to do the Father's will.

The only time we see Jesus struggle was when it was going to cost him.

That cost was suffering.

I think that God was teaching his son all during those 4 thousand years.

1 Timothy 2:5 KJV - John 7:16 KJV - John 7:16 NIV -

fzappa13

I think Unitarians and Arians and Adoptionists are likely more eligible for salvific faith that extreme Kenoticists. It's a plague upon the Body, and it largely stems from a few influences, including Hegel (the Theosophist/Gnostic "Philosopher").

Toss in Barth's Universal Atonement nonsense, and voila... Rampant heterodoxy that looks like the Christian faith, but is cultic (and often occultic).

Interesting notion ... being that Hegel's disciples are the creators of the two party political system here in the U S of A as well as the faux Russia/America antagonism. You might be on to something ... considering the fact that so many of our offered points of contention are both contrived and offered to us by those with something less than our best interest in mind and are, as often as not, purveyors of the Hegelian dialectic, whether knowingly or not.

But, again, we circle back to the idea of salvation via proper doctrine.

Last edited:

Lon

A few "godly professors" explained things to you? What were the first professors if not godly?
Oh, and this.... I wasn't suggesting anything about any of my other professors against the notion. I was only expressing an appreciation for those gentle souls who corrected me. I am ever grateful for all of my professors. Those years were near-like being in Heaven. -Lon