NSA collecting phone data on millions of people

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
In all fairness, I suspect that the guys who set up that system, probably realized that democrats would use it, too...

[This abuse of the Patriot Act must end: President Obama falsely claims Congress authorized all NSA surveillance: In fact, our law was designed to protect liberties by Jim Sensenbrenner] "We've gotten used to what "Big Government" looks like – Washington's unchecked deficit spending, the Obama administration's policing of the press and the IRS's targeting of conservative groups. But the problem is bigger than we thought. "Big Brother" is watching. And he is monitoring the phone calls and digital communications of every American, as well as of any foreigners who make or receive calls to or from the United States.

Last week, the Guardian reported that the Obama administration is collecting records of every call made to, from or within the US, as well as records of many digital communications. President Obama has tried to deflect criticism by claiming "every member of Congress has been briefed on this program." While some members of Congress were briefed – particularly those on the intelligence committees – most, including myself, were not.

The administration claims authority to sift through details of our private lives because the Patriot Act says that it can. I disagree. I authored the Patriot Act, and this is an abuse of that law..." Full text: This abuse of the Patriot Act must end: President Obama falsely claims Congress authorized all NSA surveillance

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Obama in 2007: No More Spying on Citizens Not Suspected of a Crime by John Sexton]

"...This Administration also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we demand. I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorists without undermining our Constitution and our freedom.

That means no more illegal wire-tapping of American citizens. No more national security letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime. No more tracking citizens who do nothing more than protest a misguided war. No more ignoring the law when it is inconvenient. That is not who we are. And it is not what is necessary to defeat the terrorists. The FISA court works. The separation of powers works. Our Constitution works. We will again set an example for the world that the law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers, and that justice is not arbitrary.

This Administration acts like violating civil liberties is the way to enhance our security. It is not..." :Nineveh: ~ Barack Obama

Full text: Obama in 2007: No More Spying on Citizens Not Suspected of a Crime

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Wow. lets get our facts straight. Not all republicans(or those like myself who have no choice but to vote for democrat light) support George Bush in everything that he did. secondly, the republicans who did support this bill are defending Obama and are demanding that the whistleblower be treated like a criminal

I didn't vote in 2000 but was glad to see Gore defeated

I voted for Bush in 2004 not because I supported all of his policies, but because I thought a Kerry presidency would be for America what the Obama presidency is proving to be.

but PureX is a lazy thinker and it's easier for him to assume people are one-dimensional

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When Bush started this program, conservatives and republicans were all for it, liberals were against it, while the democratic politicians quietly went along with it.

Say what? You were not against it. You were against Bush trying to stop muslims. Obama uses this and Prism for political gain, and nothing else. They are not the same thing. And I don't care about the program, I care about how he uses a tool for evil. Just like firearms.

the republicans who did support this bill are defending Obama and are demanding that the whistleblower be treated like a criminal

You can't post facts in a thread like this. You must emote with the liberal turds.

The hypocrisy is just oosing out all over the place.

:chuckle:

Yeah, you are a hypocrite. We know. Speaking of old articles and history revision, let's look at another one.

Kenyan%20born%20Obama.jpg

PureXcrement said:
Well the few who didn't were mighty scarce. Especially in Washington, and here on TOL.

Like who? Since you claim it is very few that opposed the program. Show TomO endorsing it. Or anybody really. Go on.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In fact, Bush collected phone records on Americans without court approval. Note that Holder went and got court approval, as the law requires. Not that it matters much as far as individual citizens go. It's still an unnecessary intrusion.

Mr. Holder had been testifying for about an hour to a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee before a lawmaker raised the issue of phone record gathering, following a report Wednesday night in the Guardian showing a secret U.S. intelligence court had approved a three-month collection of phone-call data from Verizon.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/06/06/lawmakers-push-holder-for-briefing-on-phone-records/

The NSA warrantless surveillance controversy (AKA "Warrantless Wiretapping") concerns surveillance of persons within the United States during the collection of foreign intelligence by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) as part of the war on terror. Under this program, referred to by the Bush administration as the "terrorist surveillance program",[1] part of the broader President's Surveillance Program, the NSA was authorized by executive order to monitor, without search warrants, the phone calls, Internet activity (Web, e-mail, etc.), text messaging, and other communication involving any party believed by the NSA to be outside the U.S., even if the other end of the communication lies within the U.S. Critics, however, claimed that it was in an effort to attempt to silence critics of the Bush Administration and their handling of several hot button issues during its tenure. Under public pressure, the Bush administration ceased the warrantless wiretapping program in January 2007 and returned review of surveillance to the FISA court.[2] Subsequently, in 2008 Congress passed the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, which relaxed some of the original FISA court requirements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy

Note that in a number of cases, the Obama Justice Department also gathered phone records that were not specifically authorized. No one will actually go to jail for this, because Bush had a republican Congress specifically exempt those involved from prosecution.

All of you like Nick, who thought this was such a good idea, I told you so.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Democrats now view the NSA’s phone surveillance as acceptable by 64% to 34%. In January 2006, by a similar margin (61% to 36%), Democrats said it was unacceptable for the NSA to scrutinize phone calls and emails of suspected terrorists.

Re-pubicans which are mostly liberal supported it then and now. 62% said it was ok, today 51% still do. I suppose it is possible they rethought their position.

http://www.people-press.org/2013/06...ne-tracking-as-acceptable-anti-terror-tactic/

99lamb

Ok, I know the latest scandal involves NSA spying on American citizens.
But, how did a guy who is high school drop out, with a G.E.D., get such a sweet job, for $200k, living in Hawaii?

jeffblue101

In fact, Bush collected phone records on Americans without court approval. Note that Holder went and got court approval, as the law requires. Not that it matters much as far as individual citizens go. It's still an unnecessary intrusion.

as usual Barbarian's post is misleading on the nature on how the data collecting went way beyond the original intent of protecting citizens from foreign threats.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order?CMP=twt_gu
The National Security Agency is currently collecting the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon, one of America's largest telecoms providers, under a top secret court order issued in April.

The order, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, requires Verizon on an "ongoing, daily basis" to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries.

The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing.

The secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa) granted the order to the FBI on April 25, giving the government unlimited authority to obtain the data for a specified three-month period ending on July 19.

Under the terms of the blanket order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls. The contents of the conversation itself are not covered.

The disclosure is likely to reignite longstanding debates in the US over the proper extent of the government's domestic spying powers.

Under the Bush administration, officials in security agencies had disclosed to reporters the large-scale collection of call records data by the NSA, but this is the first time significant and top-secret documents have revealed the continuation of the practice on a massive scale under President Obama.

The unlimited nature of the records being handed over to the NSA is extremely unusual. Fisa court orders typically direct the production of records pertaining to a specific named target who is suspected of being an agent of a terrorist group or foreign state, or a finite set of individually named targets.

jeffblue101

But, how did a guy who is high school drop out, with a G.E.D., get such a sweet job, for $200k, living in Hawaii?

There is new Job opening in the NSA maybe you can wiretap congress to find out.
http://careers.boozallen.com/job/Honolulu-Systems-Administrator,-Junior-Job-HI-96801/2653617/

Date: Jun 10, 2013

Systems Administrator, Junior-01134820

Description

Key Role:

Support current information security technology disciplines and practices to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of corporate information assets in accordance with established standards and procedures. Conduct daily operations of Windows based environment on unclassified systems and document configuration changes to systems and networks. Execute system administration and desktop support projects, including desktop troubleshooting, network switchport troubleshooting, and peripheral support. Analyze, interpret, and recommend solutions for system shortfalls, discrepancies, or improvements in technologies and access requirements and work closely with team members concerning changes to network security measures and protocols. Install PC hardware and software for end-users, work with end-users to develop an understanding of the needs and uses of their PC's, including hardware, software, and printers, and analyze and diagnose problems reported by end-users. Track and update all problem calls through corporate tracking systems and assist in the evaluation of new computer hardware and software. Update workstations with latest software and patches, design engineering solutions to meet client needs, troubleshoot performance problems, maintain baseline images for desktops, and perform system backup and recovery measures. This position is located in Honolulu, HI.

Qualifications

Basic Qualifications:
-3+ years of experience with system administration
-Experience in a Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 7 environment
-Experience with Windows Deployment Services or other relevant imaging technology
-Experience with DNS administration and troubleshooting
-Experience with vSphere virtual environment, including virtual servers, virtual switching, and management
-Knowledge of AD and GPO’s at an advanced proficiency level
-Secret clearance required

Additional Qualifications:
-Knowledge of DoD Secure System Configuration tools and methods, including STIG’s, VMS, and Gold Disk to scan and remediate systems to maintain compliancy
-AA or AS degree in CS preferred
-DoD 8570.2 IAT Level 2 or 3 Certification preferred

Clearance:

Applicants selected will be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information; Secret clearance is required.

Integrating the full range of consulting capabilities, Booz Allen is the one firm that helps clients solve their toughest problems, working by their side to help them achieve their missions. Booz Allen is committed to delivering results that endure.

We are proud of our diverse environment, EOE, M/F/D/V.

Job: Information Technology
Primary Location: United States-Hawaii-Honolulu
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time

Nearest Major Market: Honolulu
Nearest Secondary Market: Hawaii
Job Segments: System Administrator, Consulting, Engineer, Secret Clearance, Security Clearance, Technology, Engineering, Government

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
as usual Barbarian's post is misleading on the nature on how the data collecting went way beyond the original intent of protecting citizens from foreign threats.

I told you that would happen. Remember? All of you who were so happy to see that kind of power over us, suddenly think it's a bad idea?

I told you this would happen. And it happened a lot earlier than you think it did:

The NSA warrantless surveillance controversy (AKA "Warrantless Wiretapping") concerns surveillance of persons within the United States during the collection of foreign intelligence by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) as part of the war on terror. Under this program, referred to by the Bush administration as the "terrorist surveillance program",[1] part of the broader President's Surveillance Program, the NSA was authorized by executive order to monitor, without search warrants, the phone calls, Internet activity (Web, e-mail, etc.), text messaging, and other communication involving any party believed by the NSA to be outside the U.S., even if the other end of the communication lies within the U.S. Critics, however, claimed that it was in an effort to attempt to silence critics of the Bush Administration and their handling of several hot button issues during its tenure. Under public pressure, the Bush administration ceased the warrantless wiretapping program in January 2007 and returned review of surveillance to the FISA court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy

Apparently, the Holder Justice Department investigations always got court permission, but the court was itself a bit loose in granting permissions.

I told you this would happen. And now you're stunned that it happened the way I told you it would. I told you that democrats would use it the same way, too.

Thanks a lot, suckers.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I try to tell this to Traditio. The only people that will pay him (and that might be what he wants) is the godless heathen universities and high schools. He has no useful job skills to anybody.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Obama's Snooping Excludes Mosques

Yet another Bush policy carried over?

PALAST:
I received a phone call from a high-placed member of a US intelligence agency. He tells me that while there's always been constraints on investigating Saudis, under George Bush it's gotten much worse. After the elections, the agencies were told to "back off" investigating the Bin Ladens and Saudi royals, and that angered agents. I'm told that since September 11th the policy has been reversed. FBI headquarters told us they could not comment on our findings. A spokesman said: "There are lots of things that only the intelligence community knows and that no-one else ought to know.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/events/newsnight/1645527.stm

Let's see how Obama's people are doing with that:

The culturally sensitive raid led to the arrest of a Pakistani imam (Hafiz Muhammed Sher Ali Khan) at a Miami mosque and five others, including his sons, daughter and grandson. All were charged with providing financial and material support for the Pakistani Taliban. The terrorist organization is associated with Al-Qaeda and has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks against American interests, including a 2009 suicide bombing at a U.S. military base inAfghanistan.Khan founded an Islamic school that supports the Taliban’s jihad while living in Pakistan and continued controlling and funding it as an imam in Miami, according to the federal indictment. He used the school to provide shelter and support for Taliban soldiers and to train children how to kill Americans in Afghanistan, the indictment says. The rest of the family helped create a network that flowed money from the U.S. to Pakistan to purchase guns for the Taliban, according to the feds.Considering the seriousness of the charges it’s inconceivable that federal agents made cultural sensitivity a priority during arrests. The unbelievable details of how the “kindler, gentler arrests” went down are featured in a local newspaper that reports federal agents actually waited for prayer service to end before moving in out of respect for Muslims. They also took their shoes off before entering the mosque as per Islamic tradition.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2...rorist-ties-raided-with-cultural-sensitivity/

So this administration is raiding mosques and capturing terrorists, but is doing it without interrupting religious services or offending ordinary Muslims.

I can see how both of those things might infuriate you.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Yet another Bush policy carried over?

PALAST:
I received a phone call from a high-placed member of a US intelligence agency. He tells me that while there's always been constraints on investigating Saudis, under George Bush it's gotten much worse. After the elections, the agencies were told to "back off" investigating the Bin Ladens and Saudi royals, and that angered agents. I'm told that since September 11th the policy has been reversed. FBI headquarters told us they could not comment on our findings. A spokesman said: "There are lots of things that only the intelligence community knows and that no-one else ought to know.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/events/newsnight/1645527.stm

Let's see how Obama's people are doing with that:

The culturally sensitive raid led to the arrest of a Pakistani imam (Hafiz Muhammed Sher Ali Khan) at a Miami mosque and five others, including his sons, daughter and grandson. All were charged with providing financial and material support for the Pakistani Taliban. The terrorist organization is associated with Al-Qaeda and has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks against American interests, including a 2009 suicide bombing at a U.S. military base inAfghanistan.Khan founded an Islamic school that supports the Taliban’s jihad while living in Pakistan and continued controlling and funding it as an imam in Miami, according to the federal indictment. He used the school to provide shelter and support for Taliban soldiers and to train children how to kill Americans in Afghanistan, the indictment says. The rest of the family helped create a network that flowed money from the U.S. to Pakistan to purchase guns for the Taliban, according to the feds.Considering the seriousness of the charges it’s inconceivable that federal agents made cultural sensitivity a priority during arrests. The unbelievable details of how the “kindler, gentler arrests” went down are featured in a local newspaper that reports federal agents actually waited for prayer service to end before moving in out of respect for Muslims. They also took their shoes off before entering the mosque as per Islamic tradition.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2...rorist-ties-raided-with-cultural-sensitivity/

So this administration is raiding mosques and capturing terrorists, but is doing it without interrupting religious services or offending ordinary Muslims.

I can see how both of those things might infuriate you.

You really need to check your dates if you are going to try to do this convoluted stuff. :nono:

The "Culturally Sensitive" Raid which you cited took place prior to May 17th 2011. The order to stop investigating Mosques came in October of 2011.