NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tom Brady gave up his appeal and will sit out his suspension. News flash Tom. You are now Pete Rose. A liar and a cheater. And only the unconditional fans will back you.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Missed the HOF ceremony for the first time in ages, but that's what comes of cord cutting. Ah, well. I'm not sure Favre there was an oration in there to wow, though I've seen a few good moments in Favre's acceptance speech.

All of which has me wondering about next years Hall.

Tomlinson is a first round no-brainer.

I think Warner makes it in after a wait that reminds you of his career.

T.O. will be in because he already had the public humiliation of having to wait given his undeniable level of talent, one that would have put most in without a question....and because there's a strong sentiment for Hines Ward, but you can't pass over Owens to get to him. Move the great malcontent on and open the day next year for Ward, who really doesn't merit first ballot anyway, as admirable as his overall game was.

Hines Ward is possible, but I'd say later rather than sooner. The same for Chad Johnson, who hurt his image in New England and Jason Taylor, who is just going to come in at a hard time. Later, but not first ballot.

If one of those three squeezes in I'd bet on it being Taylor.

Outside of that...Fanaca deserves it, but who knows what the mood of the Hall will be.

Brian Dawkins is a great defender with 9 pro bowls to his credit, coming into eligibility for the first time, but John Lynch, also with 9, is still waiting. John's showing last year argues that if one of them is in, it should be the old Buc.

Morton Anderson will likely remain on the kicker's bench.

T.D. belongs, a-la Sayers, but I have a feeling he's going to wait a long while yet.

If Bob Sanders had two more healthy years I think he'd be a lock instead of an afterthought about what might have been.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is hard to believe with all the things on youtube, Morton Andersen kicking exploits, liking sending the kickoff through the uprights is not there.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice work on the Hall of Fame game. I read the paint was wrong and then they tried to dry it and melted the rubber pellets of the field turf. I realize the season opening exhibition is never good, but it is still football and makes me feel good. This just reminds me that Obama is still President.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Rams and Cowboys lined up in the Colesium. Gurley and Elliot both sat out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I hate preseason. I almost feel the same way about it someone did about soccer when they wrote that if someone threw the World Cup in his backyard he wouldn't watch it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At least I turned it on, saw, and shut off the DVR before wasting 3 hours of HD space.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dallas is happy with Dak Prescott. The athletic ability is there. Reading the NFL defense will have to wait a bit before we know. If Dallas is smart, he will continue to take a lot of snaps the remaining 2 games.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The San Diego Chargers and Joey Bosa don't seem to be getting along. While the Chargers are not a good franchise, it sure seems like I would have reported and taken the millions upon millions upfront and worried about the other millions later. But that is just me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
13041279_1131056000274420_168852527192380527_o-1024x576.jpg

Just a reminder that ESPN decided the comic relief is not taken serious, and drives away viewers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
13041279_1131056000274420_168852527192380527_o-1024x576.jpg

Just a reminder that ESPN decided the comic relief is not taken serious, and drives away viewers.
To be fairer, he was a ratings draw and they wanted to keep him, but Fox threw too much money at him. Skip is pure entertainment. He's the guy people who know sports can listen to when they want to feel like sports geniuses. :)

I always enjoyed tuning into the shout fest nonsense he and his partner would parade about. Eventually I moved on and started listening to Cowherd, who essentially stole Kornheiser's shtick and made it younger and sharper, mixing elements of popular culture and sports together.

These days I'm not listening to any of it...did you ever catch Kevin Wall in Wall to Wall Sports? He had a really funny, entertaining show that ran into a network struggle years back and vanished, nationally. Too bad.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't like Kornheiser and never did. PTI and shows like it are the death of sports TV.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And Romo's back is broken. Or so I read on my sports feed. Conveniently, Dak Prescott's passing skills look much better than a contemporary of his, Tim Tebow.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't like Kornheiser and never did. PTI and shows like it are the death of sports TV.
Hmm. We're not going to agree on this one. I don't listen to much of any of it anymore and I'm more selective with what sports I spend time on, but I enjoy the banter. The trick is to never confuse them with what they pretend to be, to take them as colorful idiot friends, for the most part. I hear them on the radio when I'm driving. So I might hear Patrick now and then before lunch, or one of the many variations in the evening, going to and from places. I cut the satellite cord, so the temptation to waste time is minimized. I've seen bits of Boomer Esiason's show and thought it was awful. Francesas has always been awful, to me. Haven't seen or heard Cowherd since he made the move, but I always thought he was worth laughing at or with, depending. If Bayless falls in love with unproven commodities for no apparent reason (and he does) Cowherd dislikes people with as much reason, and it's even funnier.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't mind the talking points, if you want to call it that, like Sunday NFL Countdown. Aside from Joe Theisman, usually those type of guys are not idiots.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't mind the talking points, if you want to call it that, like Sunday NFL Countdown. Aside from Joe Theisman, usually those type of guys are not idiots.
:idunno: To me it's all just part of the parade before a game. Do we have to have it? Nah. Is it fun as an accessory, like guessing the outcome of games against the line when you aren't actually betting? It can be.

Speaking of which, I'll be starting the Pick'em bit up in a while. I think it belongs in here. Sparked a little conversation and, honestly, there aren't enough of us who appear to follow the game actively to justify a second thread. I had a couple of nudges on it over the past couple. So, at some point prior to the regular season I'll be posting the weekly and odds and taking a stab, inviting you yokels to join in.

:cheers:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
If the Pats open 1-3, I think they're fine. Even at 0-4, with the AFC East this season looking the way it does, it's at least even money that NE gets in the tournament, IMO. :) Unfortunately, NE fans have to think this way, with how our backup is looking. :idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.