NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yep. Great teams win championships. Great players go in the Hall of Fame.

Quarterbacks don't win championships. Great teams win championships...
Yep.

Per CBS: "In Peyton Manning's past two postseason games the Broncos have scored a combined 21 points."

Unreal. And unacceptable, frankly.
Heck, isolate it enough and it can look down right catastrophic. But why that particular isolation? Why not three? Because you get the answer you want if you narrow it to the two games.

And people who want to believe will say, "See?!"

Oh, sure, I see. :rolleyes:

Also, Adam Shefter is reporting an answer to a few questions about Peyton over the last several games. According to Sheftner Manning has played the last month with torn right quadriceps. That's where his power went and why you saw an uncharacteristic performance out of a great quarterback.

The question now is, as with Marino before him, does this herald an ongoing physical breakdown or is it just an injury that can be battled back from...and does he want to.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so we are waiting for tet to confirm
that
nine over paid quarterbacks
will be watching
three under paid quarterbacks
this weekend

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Also, Adam Shefter is reporting an answer to a few questions about Peyton over the last several games. According to Sheftner Manning has played the last month with torn right quadriceps. That's where his power went and why you saw an uncharacteristic performance out of a great quarterback.

The question now is,

are the broncos on the hook for 20 million should peyton want to give it a try?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
are the broncos on the hook for 20 million should peyton want to give it a try?
He's a competitor...until the injury he was playing above his career averages...

Complete % 66.2
Yds: 4,727
Avg per pass: 7.9
Tds: 39
Ints: 15
Rating: 101.5

He's the third highest even factoring in the handful of games post injury. He'd taken things as easy as he could and looked good enough when he hit Sanders and aggravated the injury...which is something that should heal and be fine by next year.

Unless he feels like the wheels are coming off why wouldn't he want to take another shot at a better ending?

The Berean

As great as Manning is (was?), he is very old now by NFL QB standards (he turns 39 on March 24). It seems some folks don't understand that all athletes decline significantly in their mid-to-late 30's? Pro football, like all professional sports, is a "young man's" game. It's quite possible that Manning may never play again.

Caledvwlch

As great as Manning is (was?), he is very old now by NFL QB standards (he turns 39 on March 24). It seems some folks don't understand that all athletes decline significantly in their mid-to-late 30's? Pro football, like all professional sports, is a "young man's" game. It's quite possible that Manning may never play again.

It's sad to think that Manning might come up short of something Favre did. At least Brett will probably always have that interceptions record.

Caledvwlch

I assume you mean the career passing yards record? Why is it sad if Manning doesn't pass Favre?

Sad might have been the wrong word.

I just don't like seeing Favre's name at the top of that list. Also, he played until he was forty. I was hoping with all the passer-friendly rule changes, we'd see Peyton out there at 40, 41 before he hung it up.

The Berean

Sad might have been the wrong word.

I just don't like seeing Favre's name at the top of that list. Also, he played until he was forty. I was hoping with all the passer-friendly rule changes, we'd see Peyton out there at 40, 41 before he hung it up.

This is why I take all the the modern passing records with a huge grain of salt. They greatly overrate the modern QB's and greatly underrate the great QB's of the past.

Caledvwlch

This is why I take all the the modern passing records with a huge grain of salt. They greatly overrate the modern QB's and greatly underrate the great QB's of the past.

Indeed. When you look at a list of the top 20 most prolific passing seasons by QB's in terms of passing yards, only three of them happened before the year 2000. Two of those were Dan Marino. He was really good.

The Berean

Indeed. When you look at a list of the top 20 most prolific passing seasons by QB's in terms of passing yards, only three of them happened before the year 2000. Two of those were Dan Marino. He was really good.

Yes, the modern passing rules make good QB's look like all-time greats but in reality they are not. Marino passed for 5,084 yards in 1984. That was huge news back in 1984. The record stood for 27 years until 2011 when two QB's broke it and a third QB also throw for 5,000+ yards. There have been six 5,000+ yard passing seasons since 2011! What a joke. Can you imagine Marino, Steve Young, Montana, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts playing today? They'd put up 6,000+ yard passing seasons.

Caledvwlch

Yes, the modern passing rules make good QB's look like all-time greats but in reality they are not. Marino passed for 5,084 yards in 1984. That was huge news back in 1984. The record stood for 27 years until 2011 when two QB's broke it and a third QB also throw for 5,000+ yards. There have been six 5,000+ yard passing seasons since 2011! What a joke. Can you imagine Marino, Steve Young, Montana, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts playing today? They'd put up 6,000+ yard passing seasons.

No joke. The third pre-2000 season on the list is Fouts. I can't even remember what a pass interference penalty used to look like in those days. Did they involve machetes?

Granite

Hall of Fame
No joke. The third pre-2000 season on the list is Fouts. I can't even remember what a pass interference penalty used to look like in those days. Did they involve machetes?

You practically had to break someone's kneecap in order to get flagged. Remember how the Rams got mauled when we took them down in the Super Bowl? No way in hell you can get away with that now.

The Berean

I talked to an old timer about old time football. and one point he made is that the NFL was way "dirtier" back in the 1940's-70's. Clothes-lining, the Deacon Jones head slap, very late hits, Night Train Lane's "Necktie", bump-and-run by DB's etc., made the game more difficult for QB's and receivers. Also, the seasons were much shorter. This is also a key point in terms of records. For example of all the 2,000 yard rushers only O.J. Simpson did it in a 14 game season.

Here is Night Train Lane's infamous "Necktie"

Lane,Dicknighttrain10.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Marino passed for 5,084 yards in 1984. That was huge news back in 1984.

The amazing thing about Marino's 1984 season, is that he was 22 years old when the season began.

Marino played 15 more seasons, and never finished over 5,000 yards again.

Quincy

Guys who try to diminish the value of championships :chuckle:

:p

Took near miracles but we can look at it.

No miracles, just the Giants hitting their peak at the post-season.

That's just a neat circle. Marino's greatness, Moon's greatness, a host of great ones aren't defined by that. Peyton we hold to a different standard, which is funny to me.

Two more guys are among the greatest...... to never win a Superbowl. Just like Kelly, Cunnigham, McNabb, Fouts and Tarkenton. They're all great players, HoF material when you consider their careers as a whole but they never raised their team to championship team status. Peyton did it once, props for that but come on, with no ring you've only proved that you played on either mediocre to bad teams or you didn't have the clutch leadership gene to put your team over the top. 3 Superbowl games and one championship is only slightly less disappointing than 4 SB appearances and no championships.

One of the reasons I love Manning is the same reason I loved (if didn't root for) the greatest qb the NFL has produced, Joe Montana. The reason is that neither of them were particularly gifted physically. Both defined their greatness by work, mental ability and unrelenting tenacity. And I'm as sure that Peyton on those Niner teams would have worn the same rings (or one more, being more durable than Joe) as I am of anything.

4 rings to 1, TH. Winning 4 Super Bowl championships isn't like winning the lottery. Winning in the playoffs doesn't come down to flukes. People have found consistent success there, like Montana, Bradshaw and Brady. They have great regular season stats as well as championships. Yes there were on good teams, but like a Michael Jordan, they inspired those teams to be better than they should have probably been. You honestly can't say the chemistry between the niner players would have been the same if Manning were at the helm. Thinking you could just change out Montana with Manning diminishes Montana's achievements.

Eli has been both cool in high pressure situations and, frankly, lucky. He's also had a really good coach and, in his ring years, some really good defense.
Yes he had great teams and a couple lucky catches go his way but the Giants still won, I wouldn't diminish their achievements just because Eli is lazy in the regular season occasionally. People don't take him as serious as they should but there it is.

That's just irrational, but I won't talk you out of it. Time will bury your opinion and leave mine standing because mine is predicated on the numbers, on the facts and not the perception generated by a persistent narrative from any number of quarters with differing interests in seeing it established.

Numbers mean nothing if they culminate in constant losing. I grew up in Tennessee and I've been a fan of the Vols all my life basically. I watched Manning's career and rooted for him constantly. I always want the best for him but that doesn't change that fact that he doesn't get the job done when it counts the most and that affects a legacy. Montana, Bradshaw, Brady are all far ahead of him in legacy when it comes to QBs. Big Ben and Eli are ahead of him too. You can't diminish wins and championships to make stats seem more important when it comes to legacy.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thinking you could just change out Montana with Manning diminishes Montana's achievements.

Correct.

Montana didn't throw a pick-6 at crunch time in the Super Bowl like Manning did.

As I stated earlier, Manning is now 11-13 in the postseason, and of those 13 losses, his team was favored in 11 of them.

At Indy, Manning was surrounded by numerous Pro-Bowlers. He had Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Regie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, etc.

Yet, they went "One-And-Done" four times (05,07,08,10). Three of those games were home games at Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.