NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Lambeau Field is known as "The Frozen Tundra"
Yes, I've heard. And?

This is the first time Dallas has played at Green Bay in the postseason since "The Ice Bowl" in 1967.

It's currently 0 degrees in Green Bay right now.
They're playing now? Good heavens man, why didn't anyone tell me?

The temperature at kickoff is predicted to be around 12-15 degrees with a wind chill factor around -9 degrees.

It's looking like it won't be single digits, but it's going to be cold, and the weather should have an effect on the game.
Sounds brutal, but I don't know what that's going to mean, except it will be harder to throw, which seems like an edge die Dallas, though both teams can run.

I think you live in Alabama, so I don't know if you've ever experienced really cold weather.
:plain: We have interstates and everything here, airports even. I've been in Chicago and New York in the winter, had snowball fights in Maine. And as a youth I spent some time in Europe, where I frolicked among, of all things, alps.

So yes, I'm familiar with the strangely cold powder. :eek:

It was -1 when I left my house this morning here in Pittsburgh. There's a big difference between -1 and 40 degrees.
Yes, I believe that difference is about 41 degrees. :think: Give or take.

shagster01

:plain: We have interstates and everything here, airports even. I've been in Chicago and New York in the winter, had snowball fights in Maine. And as a youth I spent some time in Europe, where I frolicked among, of all things, alps.

So yes, I'm familiar with the strangely cold powder. :eek:

Yes, I believe that difference is about 41 degrees. :think: Give or take.

Uh-Oh. Is someone working on material for the next Town Quixote's post?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't worry too much Granite. The last time the Ravens beat the Patriots in the playoffs the Ravens had Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Ray Rice & Anquan Boldin.

None of those guys are on the Ravens anymore.

The Ravens secondary is very young, and their running game is nowhere near what it used to be with Rice, especially on third downs.

If the Patriots offensive line can give Brady some time, he should be able to pick the Raven's secondary apart.

BTW, LeGarrette Blount sure would have came in handy last week for the Steelers when Bell couldn't play. :madmad:

A few things worry me:

a) if the O-line can't withstand the pass rush, #12 is gonna run for his life all game, and that means the Pats will almost definitely lose
b) the Ravens are simply not intimidated by Gillette, unlike most teams, and know they can win there; a fearless opponent is spooky
c) Baltimore won't panic, even down three TD's
d) he's become Joe Unflappable in the playoffs; no one rattles him, and it's tough to bring him down

That said, I still like New England's chances. But this is going to be a dogfight.

Granite

Hall of Fame
From ESPN:

The Steelers hangover is going to be too tough to overcome. The Ravens historically have trouble getting emotionally and physically recharged after playing their biggest rival. Since 2011, the Ravens are 4-4 the week after their game against the Steelers, including 2-4 on the road.

Then again, this is football, anything can happen, and streaks and trends are made to be broken.:noid:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From ESPN:

The Steelers hangover is going to be too tough to overcome. The Ravens historically have trouble getting emotionally and physically recharged after playing their biggest rival. Since 2011, the Ravens are 4-4 the week after their game against the Steelers, including 2-4 on the road.

Yes, but those were all regular season games. Before last week's win, the Ravens had been 0-3 against the Steelers in the playoffs.

So, I doubt the Ravens will have any sort of "Steeler's Hangover" when they walk out onto Gillette Stadium.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, but those were all regular season games. Before last week's win, the Ravens had been 0-3 against the Steelers in the playoffs.

So, I doubt the Ravens will have any sort of "Steeler's Hangover" when they walk out onto Gillette Stadium.
I have a good friend who is a Steeler's fan. We were talking before the game and I said, "Relax, there's only one metric I can pull together that has the Ravens winning and that one by a fg." :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Where ya picks at, man?
I've been going back and forth on a couple....but I think in the end I'll take:

Bal @ NE
Line: Pats by 7
I have it between 2 and 7, so I'll take New England to win.

The most likely outcome is a close one. Very few of the games in my model come out with a bigger margin (though a sliver did see your boys win by as much as 2 tds).

I didn't have a metric that had Bal winning. The near pick'em two allows for it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Car @ Sea
Line: Seahawks by 11
I have it 13 for Seattle. Away I'd have it much closer. But the likely out come is by 11 to 14 pts. A few have it closer, a few larger, but no real significant statistical chance of Seattle losing.

Next up, the dreaded other shoe. :)

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dal @ GB
Line: Packers by 6
If you go by home/away averages the Pack is a 7.5 favorite at home over the visiting Cowboys. A larger metric holds it closer to a 2 pt win, but that was before Rodgers pulled up a bit gimpy. A very cold day won't help and if it comes down to a ground game I like the 2 and possible upset better than the one td for the Pack...

I'll take the Cowboys against that line and on a hunch to win outright.

Ind @ Den
Line: Broncos by 7
I have it a 9 to 13 pt win for Denver, who've averaged a 14 pt margin of victory at home coming into the playoffs. If Denver were to lose it would be the biggest upset, considering the talent, top to bottom, on the field.

Can't literally root against my Colts, but it would seem like we've been cheated if we didn't get one more match up between Tom and Peyton, which seems likely.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Today, Boston was chosen by the US Olympic Committee to be the USA's 2024 bid city.

In a related story, Bill Belichick was caught spying on Kenyan runners.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Bill Belichick was caught spying on Kenyan runners.

that is not funny

today belichick can win his 20th playoff game
and
he will then be tied with landry for the record

he has 5 super bowl rings
3 as head coach
2 as asst coach

coached in 7 super bowls

is there anyone around that might be able to match his record?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
is there anyone around that might be able to match his record?

Sure,

George Halas and Curly Lambeau have six NFL Championships each as head coaches.

Vince Lombardi has five NFL Championships as a head coach.

Chuck Noll has four Super Bowl wins as a head coach.

Belichick has three Super Bowl wins as a head coach.

I wouldn't even rank Belichick ahead of Paul Brown. Brown won three NFL Championships (and four AAFC Championships), but Paul Brown is the only head coach to have a team named after him.

Belichick isn't done, and could pass up or tie some of these head coaches for championships, but one thing none of the aforementioned head coaches ever did was get caught cheating like Belichick did.

So, no matter how many championships Belichick ends up with, he will always be known as "Belicheat".

Status
Not open for further replies.