National Debt

Mocking You

No, I mentioned it as a conversation starter. As something that people could relate too.
I see relating to people is not your strong suit.
How much debt is the proper amount? (For the US, not your mortgage.)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mocking You

That's what I'm asking, to both questions.

I can't answer your mortgage question, except that most lenders want your housing expense to be less than 35% of your income.

As to the national debt, yes, the debt to GDP ratio is often given as a way to say that the US debt is not that bad. But the fact is that this ratio is at it's highest point since WWII. GDP is at $18 trillion, debt is at $19 trillion.

One thing for sure, running a deficit every year, adding to the debt every year is not good fiscal policy. Which is why I used the analogy of digging a hole, hitting something solid (the 100% debt to GDP ratio, for instance) and then just keep on digging is wrong.

Daniel1769

The government debt should be exactly zero. It isn't their money. Anyone that wants to fund them and let those thieves handle their money should donate freely, and stop stealing from the rest of us.

fool

Hall of Fame
I can't answer your mortgage question, except that most lenders want your housing expense to be less than 35% of your income.

As to the national debt, yes, the debt to GDP ratio is often given as a way to say that the US debt is not that bad. But the fact is that this ratio is at it's highest point since WWII. GDP is at $18 trillion, debt is at $19 trillion.

One thing for sure, running a deficit every year, adding to the debt every year is not good fiscal policy. Which is why I used the analogy of digging a hole, hitting something solid (the 100% debt to GDP ratio, for instance) and then just keep on digging is wrong.

I can see taking on debt for capital expenditures like a free way system. Real things that are going to last.
And I'm sure we could agree on that and still disagree on How Much.
But putting things like paying for peoples health insurance and putting it on the credit card is dumb.