National Debt

Mocking You

Naturally the thing to do is have another $1 Trillion make-work infrastructure spending program. Fix our highways, airports, and hospitals. (I wasn't aware that the federal government was in charge of hospitals and airports, but I digress.) We're livin' in a third world country, ya know! (hang on, my UberEats have arrived.)

Next we should build up our navy so it's twice as big as any other nation. Because, well, modern warfare is fought on the seas. Spend another $500 billion on the military.

And free child care and government sponsored maternity leave.

Cut taxes too. Nothing gets us out of debt faster than adding $1.5 trillion to the debt and cutting taxes.

MAGA!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The military needs to focus more on soldiers and less on technology. That's a big part of the reason why it is costing so much.

Daniel1769

There's almost no one in Washington that wants to do anything about the debt. Only massive cuts to spending would have any chance of actually affecting an absurd national debt...like eliminating entire departments and agencies and drastic cuts to the DOD. It simply isn't going to happen. We won't see a penny cut from federal spending. It will just continue to increase until they can't tax, print, or borrow another dollar and the whole system collapses into an utter depression.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
yeah baby! we're #1 !!! :banana:

thank you bammy!

chart2_4.png

Daniel1769

So, we're a whole years GDP in debt.
Is that a lot?
My house cost more than a years salary, am I in too much debt?

Your house is paid by your money. The national debt is paid by working people's money that was taken from them.

fool

Hall of Fame
apparently you have to calculate the answer in apples

or maybe cider

hard cider :cheers:

I started out brewing beer and, like many, found out that the same equipment works for hard cider.
Some different steps and some things to learn but less work overall bottle for bottle with making beer.

Mocking You

Well so what's the other apple? How much should we be in debt? how much is too much?
The amount of your mortgage is fixed and its debt will be retired at a predetermined time. It has a deadline. The US debt is ongoing and will outlive its current citizens. It is added to and taken away from on a daily basis. Your analogy fails.

How much debt is the proper amount?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fool

Hall of Fame
The amount of your mortgage is fixed and its debt will be retired at a predetermined time. It has a deadline. The US debt is ongoing and will outlive its current citizens. It is added to and taken away from on a daily basis. Your analogy fails.

How much debt is the proper amount?

I didn't make an analogy,

fool

Hall of Fame
I see. So you simply decided to bring up your annual salary and your mortgage in a thread about the national debt for fun. For a diversion?

No, I mentioned it as a conversation starter. As something that people could relate too.
I see relating to people is not your strong suit.