NAACP leader outed as white

Granite

Hall of Fame
No, it was also the fault of the black folks who HAD TO KNOW this was a white chick, but found her useful (I guess).

What the hell are you talking about?

Like it or not, in a free country, you are who you say you are. Why you'd think a group dedicated to civil rights would give someone the third degree if she claimed to be black is simply bizarre.

She was a liar and a fraud. Her parents exposed her. She passed off her adopted brother as her son and claimed a black man was her father.

Unless you think this is a great big whopping conspiracy. In which case the NAACP risked exposure and ridicule for no good reason whatsoever from a woman who appropriated black culture to invent a new persona and identity. They didn't need her to be black at all. (They didn't really need her, period, if you think about it.) She damaged them, and herself. And she brought this on herself.

musterion

What the hell are you talking about?

Language.
nono.gif

The Berean

Rachel Dolezal's idea that one's "race" is what what one self identifies with is beyond RIDICULOUS. She is basically saying that she can black because she wants to be black. She is no more "black" than Bruce Jenner is "female". Real black people are taking her to task for her ludicrous position. Good for them. Dolezal's sham is an insult to real black people. It's basically a 21st century "black face" clown show.

I became a black woman in Spokane. But, Rachel Dolezal, I was a black girl first

Rachel Dolezal is, after this week, a symbol to many African Americans of the separation of blackness from black people; to me, she is an example of how American society simultaneously devalues the individuality of black women and us as a community to the point that the performance of black womanhood is preferred over the people. If blackness can simply be worn or performed, then every white woman with a weave and a cause, every white girl with a snap and a little attitude, can supplant the lived experiences of what it is to become a black woman: the journey of discrimination, the camaraderie of sisterhood, discovering the deep sense of responsibility and weight of the world, and ultimately finding the inner strength and acceptance that can only be built through struggle.

Rachel Dolezal may have perfected her performance of black womanhood, and she may be connected to black communities and feel an affinity with the styles and cultural innovations of black people. But the black identity cannot be put on like a pair of shoes. Our external differences from the white majority might be how others categorize us as black, but it’s the thread of our diverse lived experiences that make us black women.

Rachel Dolezal a lesson in how racism works

According to Dolezal’s biological mother, Rachel first began to disguise herself after her parents adopted African-American children. In her role with the NAACP and as an adjunct professor of Africana Studies, Dolezal understands herself as an advocate for black people and a member of black communities. Dolezal’s investment in her story is attached to the love she has for her family and her understanding of justice. She does not acknowledge her biological parents as her mother and father. She believes those who question her identity do not understand how race works, and that her self-definition, bolstered by her chosen family and profession, is the only definition that matters.

But that’s not how racial identity and racism work. The racial categories inherent to institutional racism are the product of law and social custom, but they are not randomly generated or freely chosen. They are informed by and inscribed in our legislative history, and they are violently policed by civilians and stewards of the state such that white people benefit at nonwhites’ expense.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Woman's definitely got some serious issues.

And can we please stop bringing Jenner into this?

The Berean

The author of the first article I linked in my previous post brought it home with this:

Dolezal managed to put on an identity – that of a black woman – in a way that renders invisible the experiences that actually forged for us our identities as black women. She presented to the world the trappings of black womanhood without the burden of having to have lived them for most of her life. She represented us and gained status in both black and white communities as one of us, even though she could have worn her whiteness and talked to white people about their racism – something sorely needed in a town like Spokane.

[I]Had she really understood the history of black women in America, Dolezal would have recognized that she is perpetuating a fetish for black women’s bodies that devalues actual black women while celebrating our parts when attached to the right (white) form.
But she was not alone in this act of playing black and benefiting from it.[/I]

I mentioned "black face" in my previous post and Rachel Dolezal's adopted black brother says the same thing.

Rachel Dolezal accused of 'blackface' by adopted brother