my thoughts re KY clerk Davis.. no bail!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting that they can't just find a way to throw her out of her job. Why throw her in jail? :idunno:

I agree. Loss of job seems more than sufficient here.

The gaystapo techniques of fining and firing Christians are from yesteryear. The LGBTQueer movement has to get it's message across to anyone that dares speak out against their movement, and what better way is there than to make political prisoners out of them (we really need to start calling our jails "Gulags").

GFR7

I think it is federal law, that one goes to jail for contempt of court;

just as one does for perjury.

Jail seems reasonable, and she is certainly not the only one to go for official misconduct.

NC gay marriage opt-out written to avoid Kentucky-style impasse

RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina legislators enacted a law in June giving magistrates and staffers in county register of deeds offices a way to avoid participating in same-sex weddings if they have religious objections to gay marriage.

But officials said Thursday that the law is different from what's on the books in Kentucky, where a clerk who defied court orders to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has been jailed, and they don't foresee a similar standoff occurring in North Carolina.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning said he had no choice but to jail Rowan County (Ky.) Clerk Kim Davis for contempt after she insisted that her "conscience will not allow" her to follow federal court rulings on gay marriage.

North Carolina's law doesn't cover elected officials, only magistrates appointed by county court clerks and assistants to the elected register of deeds in each county. It also requires that someone must be made available to issue a marriage license or preside over a wedding if someone steps aside for religious reasons, so no one would be denied service, as has been the case in Kentucky.

"We provided an opportunity for folks who have strongly held religious views with objections to opt out, but we also provided a backstop," said Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger, who sponsored the legislation. "It’s keeping folks from having to choose between their job and their religious beliefs. I think that’s important."

Still, Sarah Preston, acting executive director of the North Carolina chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the laws in North Carolina and Kentucky both amount to "government officials refusing to do part of their job."

"The general public expects fair and equal treatment from their government employees, and when government employees are not able to do that, it causes a lot of trouble," Preston said. "That’s what happened in Kentucky, and that’s what we will see here if the same thing happens."

So far, about 5 percent of the 670 magistrates statewide have recused themselves from marriage duties because of their religious beliefs, according to the Administrative Office of the Courts. No figures were available regarding any register of deeds employees.

Under North Carolina law, anyone who recuses himself or herself must step aside from all marriages, not just same-sex ones, for at least six months.

http://www.wral.com/nc-gay-marriage...y-style-impasse/14874577/#TC9hVIxmpQ8b9cKP.99

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it is federal law, that one goes to jail for contempt of court; just as one does for perjury. Jail seems reasonable, and she is certainly not the only one to go for official misconduct.

I am simply disagreeing that jail time is the appropriate punishment for her actions. Fired. Of course.

However, jail, IMO, should be reserved for offenses that would constitute physical or financial harm.

GFR7

I am simply disagreeing that jail time is the appropriate punishment for her actions. Fired. Of course.

However, jail, IMO, should be reserved for offenses that would constitute physical or financial harm.
Please see what I added above to my post.

journey

First, I am against gay marriage. The big problem in this case is contempt of court - violation of a lawful court order. There is no bail in a case like this because the court has already judged the person guilty of contempt of court. There is very little or no recourse unless there is a significant argument that the court order was unlawful. Like it or not, that argument doesn't exist in this case. She should have either obeyed the court order or resigned.

StanJ

Not sure why we need two threads on the exact same subject, but yes she should stay until she obeys the law or quits her job. Not sure if the second is possible now.
Saw her husband on TV tonight saying they have no religious freedom and are like Iran in Kentucky. :jawdrop:
With that kinda redneck mentality, no wonder Kentucky has such a bad rep.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
She should have either obeyed the court order or resigned.

Civil disobedience isn't just for liberals.

But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.
Acts 5:29

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
James 4:17

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not sure why we need two threads on the exact same subject, but yes she should stay until she obeys the law or quits her job. Not sure if the second is possible now.

Whose law Stan, God's or the law of queers?

Saw her husband on TV tonight saying they have no religious freedom and are like Iran in Kentucky. :jawdrop:
With that kinda redneck mentality, no wonder Kentucky has such a bad rep.

For now as long as Christians keep their mouths shut when it comes to the LGBTQueer agenda, they're safe (notice I said "for now"). Kim Davis isn't into selling out God to keep her job, so she had to be the sacrificial lamb of the LGBTQueer movement. More will be incarcerated (or worse) because not everyone practices your kind of Christianity Stan.

shagster01

Civil disobedience isn't just for liberals.

But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.
Acts 5:29

Then don't apply to work for the "men."

Does it show integrity to say, "I'm not going to do what you say, but I expect a paycheck from you anyway."

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
James 4:17

The right thing would have been to resign. I guess she sinned.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The right thing would have been to resign. I guess she sinned.

The right thing to do is to do the will of those who elected you. That is exactly what she is doing, and fighting for her freedom of religion.

The supreme court justices are cowards for refusing to fix their conflict in the law that they just created.

shagster01

The right thing to do is to do the will of those who elected you. That is exactly what she is doing, and fighting for her freedom of religion.

The supreme court justices are cowards for refusing to fix their conflict in the law that they just created.

Those that elect you can not give you license to break the law.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Those that elect you can not give you license to break the law.

She hasnt broken the law, the law has failed to recognize her freedom of religion and has failed to protect her with reasonable accomodation.

It is in the law that she cannot be force to not follow her beliefs in the workplace, look up reasonable accomodation in the EEOC.

shagster01

She hasnt broken the law, the law has failed to recognize her freedom of religion and has failed to protect her with reasonable accomodation.

It is in the law that she cannot be force to not follow her beliefs in the workplace, look up reasonable accomodation in the EEOC.

That is not a reasonable accommodation for that job. Her job is to hand out marriage licenses to everyone.