Mid Acts Disponsationalism

Mid Acts Disponsationalism

• Total voters

themuzicman

(1) No one believed Dispensationalism, much less Mid-Acts Dispensationalism before the 1800s. Were Paul and Peter teaching two different Covenants, that would be fundamental to the early church, and it wasn't.
(2) Paul commanded the Corinthians (and by extension all of us) to eat from the Lord's Supper, which is symbolic of establishing the New Covenant. If Paul knew the Church was not to be a part of the New Covenant, he wouldn't have them embracing it by partaking of it's primary ritual.

So, no.

SaulToPaul 2

(1) No one believed Dispensationalism, much less Mid-Acts Dispensationalism before the 1800s. Were Paul and Peter teaching two different Covenants, that would be fundamental to the early church, and it wasn't.
(2) Paul commanded the Corinthians (and by extension all of us) to eat from the Lord's Supper, which is symbolic of establishing the New Covenant. If Paul knew the Church was not to be a part of the New Covenant, he wouldn't have them embracing it by partaking of it's primary ritual.

So, no.

Nah, he relayed to the Corinthians what the LORD had commanded the Twelve...to make a point.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
(1) No one believed Dispensationalism, much less Mid-Acts Dispensationalism before the 1800s. Were Paul and Peter teaching two different Covenants, that would be fundamental to the early church, and it wasn't

1st of all, saying it doesn't make it so.
2nd, if you bought this line of reasoning yourself, you'd be a Catholic.

So, no.
There are lots of mid acts dispensationalists that do not partake of communion for exactly the reason you suggest but I think that's a bit over zealous. Just as circumcision is nothing and non-circumcision is nothing, so too is the practice of water baptism and partaking of communion. In Christ we have liberty in such things.

Resting in Him,
Clete

themuzicman

1st of all, saying it doesn't make it so.
2nd, if you bought this line of reasoning yourself, you'd be a Catholic.

My heritage comes through Catholocism. That's my church history. But I think the RCC has fallen into some errors that it needs to correct.

The point is that my doctrine is at least traceable back to the early church.

There are lots of mid acts dispensationalists that do not partake of communion for exactly the reason you suggest but I think that's a bit over zealous. Just as circumcision is nothing and non-circumcision is nothing, so too is the practice of water baptism and partaking of communion. In Christ we have liberty in such things.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Well, Paul commanded the churches to engage in communion, so you're departing from his command as written in Scripture.

Danoh

Nah, he relayed to the Corinthians what the LORD had commanded the Twelve...to make a point.

Should be an interesting re-study.

As I find that often, what Paul relays about a thing towards making a point, is often taken by many to be the point itself.

Just as important is the need to learn how to properly distinguish between when he is actually relating a thing itself, or simply making a point by it.

I suspect, brother, this is what is behind where you and I differ in our understandings on some things, though we are both A9D.

How objectively consistent we have each been in our application of this principle, in contrast to where we each might only have thought we were being consistent in its application.

I say all that out of my awareness that I tend to pause during such momentary moments that I might seek to identify within them such in the moment principles, towards converting them into much more conscious ones that I might then seek to keep myself aware of, as I ask my questions of whatever Scripture I am studying.

'Okay, so all this points to one thing - Paul is merely making a point here...wait, slow down a minute... That out of the way, is this a recurrent pattern of his that I might want to be careful to pay attention to...yes, he does the same over here in this passage also, and in this one over here, and here...this is a principle I might want to build in to my "principles of study..."'

As you know, that comes from time in the Book Itself - not in the infamous overreliance on books "about" the Book, by writers merely parroting those parrots who parroted things before them, and so many conclude such are experts on, The Book Itself.

Hebrews 5:

11. Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
12. For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of
strong meat.
13. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

themuzicman

LOL

1 Corinthians 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

Nothing like ripping a verse out of context.

Keep reading:

17 But in the following instructions I do not commend you, because when you come together it is not for the better but for the worse.

These are things Paul told them to do that they aren't doing properly.

18 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part, 19 for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized. 20 When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. 21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not.

So, in spite of your attempt to claim that Paul was saying that it isn't the Lord's supper, a CURSORY examination of the text shows that Paul is chiding them for HOW the engage the Lord's supper, some indulging, some having none, some getting drunk.

Thus, the COMMAND to partake of the Lord's supper was valid, but their execution didn't demonstrate the spirit of the New Covenant at all.

23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you

Paul delivered the sacrament of the Lord's Supper to the Corinthians for them to engage:

that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

And look.. the cup Paul gave them to drink was of the New Covenant.

heir

TOL Subscriber
These are things Paul told them to do that they aren't doing properly.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
If the Lord's supper would have the church, which is His Body, guilty of the body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, you'd think Paul would have given clear instructions on how to do it, but he doesn't because it was not for their observance!

There was only ONE who ate the bread and drank the cup unworthily and that was Judas!

Matthew 26:20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.

Matthew 26:21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

Matthew 26:22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

Matthew 26:23 And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.

Matthew 26:24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

Matthew 26:25 Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.