Manganese Nodules: Young or Old?

Johnny

How can you answer my question this way? You assert confidently that the scientific community has "re-evaluated" formation rates (after finding the brewery nodules), yet you still doubt the very existence of such nodules.
No, I asserted that they've most certainly re-evaluated manganese nodule formation since the discovery of young nodules (i.e. <100,000 year old shallow-water nodules). I'm not referring specifically the formations to which you refer, rather young shallow water formations. However, young formations around a beer can are necessarily included in my statement since papers younger than the beer-can story have been published which further reaffirm the age of deep-sea nodules. There is a continual stream of papers in the past few years which reassert the age and growth rates of manganese nodules. These papers include both old and new dating methods and a variety of independent dating cross-checks. So it's a bit dishonest to imply that claims are not yet re-evaluated ("then previously published claims of required eons should be re-evaluated before being dogmatically retained" -Bob Enyart). Afterall, a re-evaluation occurs every time a paper is published describing manganese nodules. I said, "So then it's fairly obvious that as newer and newer techniques are being developed, old ideas are being checked and rechecked."

If you can't find the source for the brewery nodules, what makes you think the authors of recent papers could? (It's not the kind of find that helps generate grant money.)
This statement shows your distance from the academic world. Researchers tend to stay on top of things in their fields. They subscribe to journals and they read them. And they also read all the news related to their fields Researchers who study manganese nodules for a living probably see every single publication that comes out. The research on manganese nodules is not overwhelming. In other words, researchers aren't swamped with a new journal full of manganese publications every other week.

(It's not the kind of find that helps generate grant money.)
If you think manganese nodules around a beer can wouldn't generate grant money because it might help creationists then you need to log off your computer right now, head down to the local store and purchase some tin foil. Fashion it around your head and wear it religiously.

I'm being serious here. You're bordering on absurdity. If you honestly believe that publications on young manganese nodules would be supressed or would dry up the grant funds then you are sadly mistaken. Afterall, there have been manganese nodules found and published on and extensively studied in lakebeds that are quite young. Further, to even imply that those who grant funds even think about the creation/evolution/age of the earth debate when granting funds is as absurd as implying that you consider what the cookie monster may think of your arguments before you use them.

I think you should be more cautious, and agree that until more in known, you will not claim MNs require millions of years to form.
You're being ridiculous now. Manganese nodules can be dated. If you stumble across an old car dated 1958, and then come across a new car dated 2006, does that really call into question the age of the old car? No. Not if the dating method is reliable. Now imagine you could date the old car with 8 independent methods. You did so, and all of the dates agree. You take one of those same methods you used to date the old car and you date the new car. You find that the dating method confirms that the car is new. Not a perfect analogy, but it conveys the point.

Johnny

I quoted you both to show two data points in what I consider a trend.
Two data points do not a trend make.

Your underlined defense of your answer is a non sequitur. There is a body of evidence, and then there are different interpretations, and people classify evidence as supportive of one interpretation or another.

Your refusal to unequivocally admit this is _______fill in the blank___________.
I'll fill it in. Bias. Bias bias bias. You want to talk about bias? You probably wouldn't mind since you've redefined the word to exclude yourself. But I must ask, how does answering "I don't know" to a question indicate bias? If I knew, I would have answered. I'm unsure of whether or not the two-column approach you suggested was appropriate.

Jukia

Bob Enyart said:
There is a body of evidence, and then there are different interpretations, and people classify evidence as supportive of one interpretation or another. -Bob Enyart

Yo, sports fans, see my comments following e-mails with James Hein on the Manganese nodule summary thread. There are not 2 different interpretations of formation of manganese nodules, there are manganese nodules that form under different environmental conditions. Some form quickly, some form slowly. If you don't understand that, well, I guess I can help no more.

Jukia

bob b said:
BTW, it seems to me that the fact that so many of the nodules can be seen lying on the surface of the seabed would cause a serious re-evaluation of the "millions of years" idea even if the beer/soda can finding were ignored.

Go back and read some of the papers that have been cited. That is discussed in several of the papers. It was an issue that was evaluated.

Lord Vader

Polonium Halos

Polonium Halos

Ahhh, I remember the old days when it was thought that Polonium halos were damning evidence against an old earth. After the manganese thing, I wonder what we'll move onto next? Something old? Something new?

fool

Hall of Fame
kenny J said:
Bob,

Exactly how old (in years) do you believe the earth to be?

be well-

ken
Bob dosen't post here much when he's in town, and he's out of town now so I wouldn't expect a response. I do know from past contact with him that he's a 10,000 or less guy, more around 6,000 but he keeps some wiggle room.
The best way to get a response is call the show when he gets back.

kenny J

BANNED
Banned
fool said:
Bob dosen't post here much when he's in town, and he's out of town now so I wouldn't expect a response. I do know from past contact with him that he's a 10,000 or less guy, more around 6,000 but he keeps some wiggle room.
The best way to get a response is call the show when he gets back.
fool-

Thank for the input!

be well,

ken

Merfbliff

BANNED
Banned
If the earth is so young, how can we see stars that are MILLIONS of LIGHT YEARS away from the Earth? Did God create the light "in transit"? The what we are seeing in the sky is a lie... it's somthing that never existed. Either the universe existed for billions of years, or TIME is relative... which is what I've been saying all along... for some reason Mr. Enyart doesn't belive in science and he doesn't belive that God can exist outside of time. Well Bod, you can't have your cake and eat it too... either Time is realtive are God is a liar. A stinking, rotten, liar. I don't think He is. What about all of YOU???

jhodgeiii

What exactly do you mean by "believe in science?" There have been many times where "science" has failed us. So Merfbliff, do you believe in science, or do you believe in God and His Word?

Jukia

Merfbliff: This thread, dealing with manganese nodules was started by the good Pastor Enyart after he watched a video. Look at his first post. There were 2 "geologists" on this video, one worked for the USGS and talked about the long long time it takes for such nodules to form. The other was someone named Yates, worked ?, who talked about manganese nodules on beer cans. Pastor Bob immediately told his family, and then us, that this was evidence of Genesis, etc. Now after lots of back & forth, and my suggestions that someone track Yates down (someone from AiG, or perhaps Kent Hovind--he maybe he can do that from the pokey when his tax evasion trial is over?) we never found Mr. Yates. I did e-mail with Dr. Hein, the other geologist, he does work for USGS, and he provided a simple explanation. Deep sea manganese nodules form very slowly, some manganese and iron concretions in shallow water can form quickly (beer cans as basis). There is a summary of my e-mails on a different thread summarizing this manganese stuff. Suprisingly, Pastor Enyart took a powder and left the building after my info from Dr. Hein.
And no one ever found Yates.
However, this thread should give you some idea of the level of scientific sophistication you are likely to find in the fundys on TOL. Sophistry perhaps but no real sophistication from the Enyartians.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Merfbliff said:
If the earth is so young, how can we see stars that are MILLIONS of LIGHT YEARS away from the Earth? Did God create the light "in transit"? The what we are seeing in the sky is a lie... it's somthing that never existed. Either the universe existed for billions of years, or TIME is relative... which is what I've been saying all along... for some reason Mr. Enyart doesn't belive in science and he doesn't belive that God can exist outside of time. Well Bod, you can't have your cake and eat it too... either Time is realtive are God is a liar. A stinking, rotten, liar. I don't think He is. What about all of YOU???

The reason seems to be that the universe was expanded rapidly during a short period of time, similar to what "Big Bang scientists" hypothesized happened during the "inflationary period" of the Big Bang.

The expansion would expand the light waves (causing the Red Shift) along with everything else in the physical universe.

Since the expansion is in the physical coordinates of the universe the limit of the speed of light does not apply. In other words the expansion can occur many times faster than the speed of light.

The Big Bang proponents claim that the expansion slowed down, but it may not have. Perhaps once the universe attained its present size the expansion may have stopped. Interestingly this would leave no evidence that it had done so.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
We had a guest speaker at our church talking aout the Big Bang Theory and explaining how it fits very well with the Genises account of creation. One way the Big Bang theory works very well is for all of the galaxies to have sprung into existance at the same instant. They were created with an initial velocity that is outward in direction so we see a measurable red shift. It was a very interesting class in that it proved, at least to me, that scince and religion are not mutually exclusive.

Jukia

CabinetMaker said:
We had a guest speaker at our church talking aout the Big Bang Theory and explaining how it fits very well with the Genises account of creation. One way the Big Bang theory works very well is for all of the galaxies to have sprung into existance at the same instant. They were created with an initial velocity that is outward in direction so we see a measurable red shift. It was a very interesting class in that it proved, at least to me, that scince and religion are not mutually exclusive.
Interesting and how did he reconcile 6000 years with 15 billion years?

Jukia

How old is old? And I am not sure that the current Big Bang theory provides for the instantaneous of all galaxies. Is it your position that there is currently no formation of new stars?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CabinetMaker said:
We had a guest speaker at our church talking aout the Big Bang Theory and explaining how it fits very well with the Genises account of creation. One way the Big Bang theory works very well is for all of the galaxies to have sprung into existance at the same instant. ...

The "same instant" may be a relative term, i.e. all of the "evolution" of the galaxies might have been compressed into a very short time period, similar to the Big Bang hypothesis that there was an early inflationary period during which the universe expanded exponentially at a speed millions of times faster than the speed of light.

If this inflationary period had lasted only one more picosecond the universe would have reached its current size and then stopped (expanding).

This would explain the observations we see today, which after all are looking back in time using the typical assumption that the expansion did not exceed the speed of light (except during the initial inflationary period).

Thus, the Genesis account, as well as other scriptural references regarding God's action in "spreading out the heavens" would appear to agree with what astronomers observe in the heavens.

Of course, the billions of years versus the "less than one Earth rotation" (day) is also not a problem, since time during the expansion period time would of necessity be affected. This is why it is possible for the speed of light to exceed what would ordinarily be its current limit during the expansion period (which ended after the first Earth day).

An additional question would of course be : what effect would the expansion of the coordinates of space have had on the material comprising the Earth, during that first initial rotation of the Earth?

In other words: does the expansion of the coordinates of space, with its effect on time, also solve the radiometric dating of rocks problem?

aharvey

bob b said:
In other words: does the expansion of the coordinates of space, with its effect on time, also solve the radiometric dating of rocks problem?
What "problem" is that?