Living 'The Handmaid's Tale' — courtesy of the secular liberal elites of L.A.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that what it suggests is that the line between tyranny and liberty is razor thin, and an energized and empowered group could still turn over the whole table.
Well, sure.
Force vs. non-force.
Force is most likely to win out every time, especially if unopposed.
The unopposed will fall into a couple of categories.
Those that agree with the ideology and therefore do not oppose it.
Those that disagree, but are in fear of retaliation if they speak up or take action, and therefore do not oppose it.
And I suppose we could add another category of those that would rather stick their head in the sand and pretend everything is normal, and therefore do not oppose it.

Which category would you assume to be the category with the most citizens in it (ie. the citizens of Germany at the time of the holocaust)?

It's kinda like Trumpism without the Trump... which is a little strange. But the religious zeal of many of Trump's followers is not unlike that of the antagonists, and the strong father morality is a somewhat exaggerated version of hyperreligious thinking.
I'm finding it a little hard to deem this society (in the show) as being a religious government.
There have only been 6 episodes so far, but I have not seen a single church in the show, or a church meeting, or any bible study classes, etc.
No places of worship at all.
Not of the husbands or the wives, or anyone.
The women are forbidden to read or write, so naturally the study of religion in any form would be out of the question.

But as I say, I have only watched 6 episodes and have not read the book, so religion could be more involved as the show progresses.
But at this time in the show, their justification of what they do is drawn from bits and pieces of past religious concepts and also philosophy concepts used as well --- cherry picked of course.

To me, the show is showing that it is their rules of law adopted that determines what their 'religion' is, instead of religion determining what their rule of law should be.
They only use bits of religion that can be used to support/justify their laws.
Such as using the example of Rachel giving her handmaid to her husband to produce a child for her.
Any of the rest of that religion is obviously discarded.
For instance, they will utilize the portion that says a wife should submit her body to her husband, but discard the following part that say a husband should submit his body to his wife.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another TOL member notified me of this past movie based on the same book.
1990 movie staring Robert Duvall and Faye Dunaway.

Of course the TV series will have a lot more detail because it is not confined to cramming it all into a 2 hour movie.

But here is a link to the whole 1990 movie - done in 15 minute increments each.
So you have to click on pt 2, and then pt 3, etc. after watching this first 15 minute increment.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xck8ba_pt-1-the-handmaids-tale_news

rexlunae

Well, sure.
Force vs. non-force.
Force is most likely to win out every time, especially if unopposed.
The unopposed will fall into a couple of categories.
Those that agree with the ideology and therefore do not oppose it.
Those that disagree, but are in fear of retaliation if they speak up or take action, and therefore do not oppose it.
And I suppose we could add another category of those that would rather stick their head in the sand and pretend everything is normal, and therefore do not oppose it.

Which category would you assume to be the category with the most citizens in it (ie. the citizens of Germany at the time of the holocaust)?

At the time of the Holocaust, or when Hitler came to power? When Hitler came to power, there were a lot of people upset and on edge. The economy was crashed, people were out of work, the country was humiliated. Hitler came to power with touting grievances against the people who he blamed for the ills of German society, many of whom had been part of German society for a long time. When the holocaust happened, violence and oppression had been normalized, democracy had been essentially cut down, but the economy was roaring, and the country had a new sense of purpose. It was based on rage and violence and war, but the Fuhrer focused it into a hot passion.

There's a limited window of opportunity to shut these movements down.

I'm finding it a little hard to deem this society (in the show) as being a religious government.
There have only been 6 episodes so far, but I have not seen a single church in the show, or a church meeting, or any bible study classes, etc.

Episode 7 is out. :)

No places of worship at all.
Not of the husbands or the wives, or anyone.
The women are forbidden to read or write, so naturally the study of religion in any form would be out of the question.

Religion isn't about going to church. It's about a system of ritualized beliefs and practices, which this absolutely is. It's as if the church had expanded to encompass all of life, which if you listen to some religious people is kinda the goal anyway.

But as I say, I have only watched 6 episodes and have not read the book, so religion could be more involved as the show progresses.

I haven't read the book either, but now I'm going to have to. Keep in mind, though, that the story is told from the perspective of a person not considered to be a person. She's a utility. The church wouldn't be for her.

But at this time in the show, their justification of what they do is drawn from bits and pieces of past religious concepts and also philosophy concepts used as well --- cherry picked of course.

I've never seen the religion that doesn't cherry pick its beliefs. To understand a religion from outside of it, you have to internalize their entire system of beliefs and thinking, and understand where their focus lies.

To me, the show is showing that it is their rules of law adopted that determines what their 'religion' is, instead of religion determining what their rule of law should be.
They only use bits of religion that can be used to support/justify their laws.
Such as using the example of Rachel giving her handmaid to her husband to produce a child for her.
Any of the rest of that religion is obviously discarded.
For instance, they will utilize the portion that says a wife should submit her body to her husband, but discard the following part that say a husband should submit his body to his wife.

Most religious law has its origin in non-religious law. Cultures often don't distinguish between what's religious and what isn't, and I don't think Gilead would really allow for such a distinction either. They have their scriptures, and what those tell them God wants, and it's not allowed to question them.

The whole system of distinguishing between secular society and religious belief is a somewhat recent invention which some cultures do not follow.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Episode 7 is out. :)
I just watched it.
It revealed a lot not previously known.

So this is taking place in Massachusetts (where the main character of the show is stationed), although it's not called Massachusetts any more.
And her husband that she thought had been killed was doctored by some run away rebels headed for Canada where they can be safe.