Living 'The Handmaid's Tale' — courtesy of the secular liberal elites of L.A.

ClimateSanity

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-allen-handmaids-tale-20170502-story.html

848c9274e22d8f0f7aa10b8859b643e5.jpg

There is definitely a class of female pariahs on whom the elites heap condescension and contempt...They’re called Deplorables.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
All i get out of what ive seen by what ive read (since i dont watch fictional tv very much) is that liberal women who scorn the bonnet there, want to do a 360 and trade it for a burqua.

Its the liberal women that are in bondage.

rexlunae

All i get out of what ive seen by what ive read (since i dont watch fictional tv very much) is that liberal women who scorn the bonnet there, want to do a 360 and trade it for a burqua.

Its the liberal women that are in bondage.

I could see how you would get that impression if you watched a random two minutes and then gave it up.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I could see how you would get that impression if you watched a random two minutes and then gave it up.

Feminists are insane. I dont have to see more than that, i see it daily. The vagina wearers to protest being treated like sex objects, complaining about being reduced to their vagina, while reducing themselves to it, and hating christianity while staunchly defending islam for patriarchy, says it all

rexlunae

Feminists are insane. I dont have to see more than that, i see it daily. The vagina wearers to protest being treated like sex objects, complaining about being reduced to their vagina, while reducing themselves to it, and hating christianity while staunchly defending islam for patriarchy, says it all

Maybe they want to be seen as people and women at the same time, in full awareness of all the things that make their perspective distinct from others.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have been watching the series. Only 5 or 6 episodes so far.

I'm not sure the one that wrote the article in the OP has watched it.

In one of the episodes we learn from a doctor that the handmaids are sent to for their check ups, is that it is the most of the men that are sterile.
But this society does not blame men, only women. So most of the wives that get handmaids are not barren, but it is the husband that is sterile.
And it is revealed that some of the wives have conspired with the doctor (who is not sterile) in secret to "do the deed" with handmaid if after a few months she has not become pregnant by the husband. Especially if the wife gets a handmaid that she likes (in other words, is compliant and obedient and makes no trouble at all.

Some may get the wrong impression from some of the talk about the show.
These handmaids are not sex slaves.
They are only used once a month when they are at their most fertile time.
There is no foreplay, no using the hands to touch one another, etc.

The wife (fully clothed) sits upright on the bed with her legs spread and the handmaid (also fully clothed) lays down beneath her with her head between the wives upper thighs, It is the wife that holds the hands of the handmaid the whole time. This is to symbolize that it is the wive the "child making" is done for.
The husband comes in (also fully clothed).
The husband unzips and lifts the handmaids skirt just enough to "do the deed".
The only skin exposed is the bare minimum to complete the deed.
The handmaid is to look at the ceiling the whole time and not make a move or a sound.
It is all very clinical with no love or desire involved at all.
Other than that time of the month, the husbands have very little dealings with the handmaids at all.
3E91DFC400000578-4343924-image-m-26_1490305134184.jpg

This is done claiming the biblical concept of Rachel giving her husband, Jacob, her handmaid to bear her a child.

But if the handmaid resists in any way and does not fully comply with the rules, she can be punished. Punishment runs anywhere between replacing them with another handmaid or just removing their tongue or an ear or a hand, etc. (None of those things are needed to bear children, so those parts are expendable.)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

In one of the episodes we learn from a doctor that the handmaids are sent to for their check ups, is that it is the most of the men that are sterile.
But this society does not blame men, only women. So most of the wives that get handmaids are not barren, but it is the husband that is sterile.
And it is revealed that some of the wives have conspired with the doctor (who is not sterile) in secret to "do the deed" with handmaid if after a few months she has not become pregnant by the husband. Especially if the wife gets a handmaid that she likes (in other words, is compliant and obedient and makes no trouble at all.

The wife (fully clothed) sits upright on the bed with her legs spread and the handmaid (also fully clothed) lays down beneath her with her head between the wives upper thighs, It is the wife that holds the hands of the handmaid the whole time. This is to symbolize that it is the wive the "child making" is done for.
The handmaid is to look at the ceiling the whole time and not make a move or a sound.
Other than that time of the month, the husbands have very little dealings with the handmaids at all.

This is done claiming the biblical concept of Rachel giving her husband, Jacob, her handmaid to bear her a child.

But if the handmaid resists in any way and does not fully comply with the rules, she can be punished. Punishment runs anywhere between replacing them with another handmaid or just removing their tongue or an ear or a hand, etc. (None of those things are needed to bear children, so those parts are expendable.)

And in 10 years, that will be the revised american history of women and they will claim it was christian policies that caused it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The series opens in the not so distant future.
An organized group of idealists form a revolution to topple the government and force society to live as they want it to be.
And they have the wealth and resources to do this, and fund a secret private army to enforce it when ready.

You see guards rushing to homes and businesses.
All women are fired from business and told they must go home to their husband or father.
Women are not allowed own property and are prohibited from attending school or college.
They are to be submissive Stepford wives to their husbands and raise children at home.

All unwed mothers are rounded up and gathered together to become handmaids.
This is because they have proven they are not barren (because they have already had at least one child).
They are considered to be abominable per their lust and promiscuity.
And the way GOD can redeem them of their wickedness is to use their wombs to supply decent parents with children.

What they do with the handmaids that do not produce or cause any problems and are replaced by another has not been revealed in the show yet.
You see some being carried away, but do not see where they are taken or what is done to them.
But you get hints, and none of it is good.

quip

BANNED
Banned

3E91DFC400000578-4343924-image-m-26_1490305134184.jpg

This :up:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And in 10 years, that will be the revised american history of women and they will claim it was christian policies that caused it.
It is definitely a male dominated society.

The husbands are called Commanders.
They rule the home and the women.
But even they have rules that are to followed, by law.
They are never supposed to be alone with a handmaid, and are not to show any semblance of affection toward them, other than to say "good day" if they pass in the hallway.

The girl that plays the main character (a handmaid) starts to realize that the wives, although they have a bit more freedom than handmaids, are also captives with no power of their own.
Most of the wives know that it is not them that is barren, but to even suggest it would deem them an unfaithful wife.
If a woman cannot bear a child with a man, it's her fault, not his.
Most of the marriages are loveless, as the men have developed the attitude that women are just a commodity to bear and raise children, and love is not necessary.

I'm sure the show is going to get a lot of feedback.
There are several boiling points brewing.

BTW, I should mention that this society is established with different rules than other societies.
In other words, this is not a global thing.
Other societies do have women in high ranking positions in their government.
And some of these other societies are trying to make deals with this one.
And a rumor has emerged that this society will trade their commodities (handmaids) for products the other societies have that they don't.

There are so many ways this show can go, it's hard to predict what will happen next.

Arthur Brain

It is definitely a male dominated society.

The husbands are called Commanders.
They rule the home and the women.
But even they have rules that are to followed, by law.
They are never supposed to be alone with a handmaid, and are not to show any semblance of affection toward them, other than to say "good day" if they pass in the hallway.

The girl that plays the main character (a handmaid) starts to realize that the wives, although they have a bit more freedom than handmaids, are also captives with no power of their own.
Most of the wives know that it is not them that is barren, but to even suggest it would deem them an unfaithful wife.
If a woman cannot bear a child with a man, it's her fault, not his.
Most of the marriages are loveless, as the men have developed the attitude that women are just a commodity to bear and raise children, and love is not necessary.

I'm sure the show is going to get a lot of feedback.
There are several boiling points brewing.

BTW, I should mention that this society is established with different rules than other societies.
In other words, this is not a global thing.
Other societies do have women in high ranking positions in their government.
And some of these other societies are trying to make deals with this one.
And a rumor has emerged that this society will trade their commodities (handmaids) for products the other societies have that they don't.

There are so many ways this show can go, it's hard to predict what will happen next.

Well, given that the book highlights the dangers of religious fundamentalism run amok it'll hopefully stay true to that ethos:

"Atwood has explained that The Handmaid's Tale is a response to those who claim the oppressive, totalitarian, and religious governments that have taken hold in other countries throughout the years "can't happen here"—but in this work, she has tried to show how such a takeover might play out".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid's_Tale