Liberals Are Psychotic, not Conservatives Like We Thought -Study correction says

Lon

The study concluded that those with conservative principles "are more uncooperative, hostile, troublesome, and socially withdrawn," as well as less conscientious, less agreeable, and more "manipulative." People who scored low on “Psychoticism,” namely liberals, are "altruistic, well socialized, empathic, and conventional."
Except they got it exactly backwards, here is what the correction is today:
The study concluded that those with liberal principles "are more uncooperative, hostile, troublesome, and socially withdrawn," as well as less conscientious, less agreeable, and more "manipulative." People who scored low on “Psychoticism,” namely conservatives, are "altruistic, well socialized, empathic, and conventional."
Embarrassingly, this study has been cited by liberals who will now have to live with themselves and in this case, the three-fingers pointing back exponentially are all liberal so the fourth finger has to become an objecting fist, all pointing back.

Will the retraction and correction get national attention? Not likely.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Let me get this right . Wanting everybody to be treated fairly, wanting freedom and equality for all, being tolerant of gay people , wanting a strong government safety net for people who are down on their luck, wanting religious freedom for non-christians, atheists and agnostics , wanting to help the poor escape their poverty etc, make you "psychotic ".
LOL !! Makes a lot of sense !

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Embarrassingly, this study has been cited by liberals who will now have to live with themselves and in this case, the three-fingers pointing back exponentially are all liberal so the fourth finger has to become an objecting fist, all pointing back.

Good post my friend.

Arthur Brain

The simple fact of the matter is that most people, conservative or liberal are not psychopaths or have any such traits simply for having a certain political view on issues. Those traits come into effect where mindless zealotry overtakes reason. Some on the far right here exhibit those characteristics by wishing to impose a theocratic state on the populus and execute homosexuals, adulterers etc, not something any 'liberal' is going to endorse. That being said, the far left is not immune to its own insanity so how about enough of the whole 'psycho' garbage and quit with trying to pigeonhole people into some silly box?

Tyrathca

The problem is that both answers are probably crap. This area of science has gotten a bad reputation in recent years for bad experiments and huge publication bias. A very very large number of studies end up not being reproducible. Even before this change it probably shouldn't have been thrown at conservatives with any confidence (sadly on all sides there are people who will gladly grab any evidence so long as it agrees with them)

That they have retrospectively altered their conclusions so dramatically is beyond just an "oops", it throws into question the whole credibility of their entire claimed methodology.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
How could you possibly not expect liberals (at least, social liberals) to be psychotic? Baby murder. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Baby murder.

Social liberals are either horribly deluded (as is, I hope, the case for most of them), or else, psychotic. There's no third option.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Traditio. The only person the planet with a Masters in Philosophy, who pretends he is aligned with the confederacy.

Lon

Confirmation?

Confirmation?

How did Chick-fil-a respond to attacks on conservative values and decisions they have made and bans from Chicago and other cities?

About how the corrected study would predict:

Chick-fil-A has made news in the past for its owners’ stance on gay marriage, and for never being open on Sundays. However, the employees at this Orlando restaurant cooked hundreds of chicken sandwiches and dozens of gallons of sweet tea. They then went to the One Blood donation center and handed out the food and drinks, free of charge, to those waiting in line to donate, the DC Gazette reported.
The location on Orange Avenue also donated chicken biscuits and orange juice to first responders, police, and firemen, according to the store’s Facebook page.

Par for the course?

Perhaps it should be entertained that being opposed to another's principles and practices does not mean we don't care about those people we disagree with. Turning the cheek isn't a compromise on our principles and doing good to those who harm us is part of who we are. It seems to me this article correction is appropriate but like its renunciation and the lack of reporting loving actions by the media, that this too will never make national attention.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

No, the retraction is never as powerful as the initial lie. The left lies first, retracts later, if at all.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

small_crickets__02011.1387939648.220.220.jpg

shagster01

The simple fact of the matter is that most people, conservative or liberal are not psychopaths or have any such traits simply for having a certain political view on issues. Those traits come into effect where mindless zealotry overtakes reason. Some on the far right here exhibit those characteristics by wishing to impose a theocratic state on the populus and execute homosexuals, adulterers etc, not something any 'liberal' is going to endorse. That being said, the far left is not immune to its own insanity so how about enough of the whole 'psycho' garbage and quit with trying to pigeonhole people into some silly box?

Correct. Extremism on any side is psychotic. If you want smart people, look in the middle.

Greg Jennings

I'd never heard of this study before, but I think it's fairly obvious that on both the far-left and far-right there is plenty of ignorance, dogmatism, hostility toward differing ideology, etc. it's just the tribal nature of politics nowadays.

Pretending one side is more guilty than the other seems a fools errand to me.

Examples of both:
Right: Calling proven and legitimate news outlets "fake news" in order to downplay their reporting
Left: Shutting down free speech on too many campuses around the country, and professors/faculty not properly standing up for it against the will of their students

Lon

I'd never heard of this study before, but I think it's fairly obvious that on both the far-left and far-right there is plenty of ignorance, dogmatism, hostility toward differing ideology, etc. it's just the tribal nature of politics nowadays.

Pretending one side is more guilty than the other seems a fools errand to me.

Examples of both:
Right: Calling proven and legitimate news outlets "fake news" in order to downplay their reporting
Left: Shutting down free speech on too many campuses around the country, and professors/faculty not properly standing up for it against the will of their students

Not really addressing the thread, Greg. It was about who was and who wasn't 'psychotic.' Read it. While many don't like the application, it is an important study as well as incredibly irresponsible as to the report. What the liberal side tried hard to pin upon conservatives, was vitriolic in comment when it came out as well AND completely wrong! They were literally talking about themselves! We are not looking at 'extremes' but the hoi poi of society, these ones they called 'psychotic.' You cannot reasonably eschew such with a hand wave, Greg. Look at the article and FIND MEANING from it. There is no waving away what is meaningful here. Read it! (Rusha too) by way of pos rep. Read it.

Arthur Brain

Not really addressing the thread, Greg. It was about who was and who wasn't 'psychotic.' Read it. While many don't like the application, it is an important study as well as incredibly irresponsible as to the report. What the liberal side tried hard to pin upon conservatives, was vitriolic in comment when it came out as well AND completely wrong! They were literally talking about themselves! We are not looking at 'extremes' but the hoi poi of society, these ones they called 'psychotic.' You cannot reasonably eschew such with a hand wave, Greg. Look at the article and FIND MEANING from it. There is no waving away what is meaningful here. Read it! (Rusha too) by way of pos rep. Read it.

I think Greg had it spot on. You can't apply psychopathic traits on the basis of a general political persuasion, that's silly no matter what "side" is arguing for it. Unless you're for bracketing people for political views in general, then no "report" is going to be free of bias. There isn't any value to the original, never mind this 'remix' and as far as I'm concerned I can be dismissive of both. Most people are not psychopaths, be they conservatives, liberals, moderates or whatever. It's actually irresponsible to give credence to that type of 'argument'.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Turns out there's another option. Just read an article in the New Yorker on point. I'm catching up, so it's from last year, August edition, entitled, Politics and Personality: Most of what you read is malarkey.

It turns out that most of the approach to the topic have been correlations of surveys. Not much by way of serious causal examination.

The fact that correlation does not equal causation has been amply illustrated by a self-styled correlation debunker, Tyler Vigen; a recent visit to his eponymous Web site shows a 0.998 regional correlation between U.S. spending on science and technology and suicides by hanging, strangulation, and suffocation.

So Virginia University geneticist Brad Verhulst started looking into it about a decade ago. He posited the question of causality. Like most people, he expected it. It seems reasonable enough on the surface. He was pretty sure that's what he'd find. But it wasn't.

He found something quite different. “Unfortunately, the empirical evidence doesn’t seem to support that strong causal hypothesis,” he said. In an analysis of 28,877 people from the Mid-Atlantic Twin Registry (known as the Virginia 30,000), and then in a second, separate longitudinal study that followed a group of more than eight thousand twins and siblings for ten years, he found no evidence of any form of causation. Instead, he found a relationship that was more complicated. It is far more likely that politics and personality traits are both influenced by some earlier genetic and environmental factors. In other words, they may indeed be related, but the fact that someone is liberal does not make him more tolerant, for instance, just as being tolerant does not make someone liberal.

The larger article is here (contains one slightly offensive bit of profanity at the outset).

Lon

So, no real readers of links these days? How can one hope to comment on an article they haven't even read? :idunno:

Seems to me, it is worth at least 3 minutes of a read.

In a nutshell, liberals were saying that conservatives were psychotic/intolerant based on .gov study results (also linked from that page).

Importantly - The accusation for 5 years from liberals, was vitriol that conservatives were psychotic. Irony? Whatever they said, whatever they assessed, was against their own data, which had ironically been switched. Such sustains a great case for what one finds objectionable in one's self and are intolerant, to a much lesser degree, in the other. In a nutshell: they found by government statistics, what they believed was abhorrent in another group, was exponentially found among themselves. Trying to apply this to extreme groups? :dizzy: It is, imho, a coping mechanism rather than understanding it is a case study, not of extreme grouping, but of the general populace of politically conservative and liberals.

Here is a question: Why would one want to immediately go to hand waving information rather than reading it in detail? To me? Seems more obvious that the information wasn't read and that folks don't want to deal with traits specific to their alignment. Hand-waving to me, has all the ear-marks of said waves. Some of you, perhaps, have spent too much time on TOL which is a microcosm, not a reflection, imho of society at large. I believe, from my own studies, that the study was done satisfactorily but that the results were the reported problem, not the study itself. As far as data I've seen, it hold up true to form across board. A liberal might not like the idea, but they tend to be fiercely independent and pro-independent concerning fringe values rather than familial core values (true, like it or not, imho - fact). In that sense, TOL does hold up, Look what the conservative is 'against' and conversely 'for' and it is exactly that: Liberals are interested in fringe values, conservatives are interested in core values. Liberals will 'think' they serve core values, but they even do disservice to their own families by their overt fringe concerns. You cannot be fringe, without overtly doing damage to your core. There are only so many resources. An overt attention to fringe is always time NEEDED toward family values. Media, et al, is against the natural family structure. Of course, families are against it as well at 50% divorce rate across board, but at least the conservative doesn't wish to call it 'good' and 'natural.' Rather, they are ashamed of the inconsistency. Liberals call it 'normal' and 'good.' Well, that is exactly what the study says:

The study concluded that those with liberal principles "are more uncooperative, hostile, troublesome, and socially withdrawn," as well as less conscientious, less agreeable, and more "manipulative." People who scored low on “Psychoticism,” namely conservatives, are "altruistic, well socialized, empathic, and conventional."
Some of this is no-brainer. Why? Because it is the definition of 'conservative.' Of course conservatives carry 'conservative' traits better than liberals. That cannot be questioned. Who is more truthful? Conservatives, by necessity. Who is less-hostile? Conservatives, again, they are interested in families. Who is more cooperative? Families, because they are doing family things. I'm not saying liberals aren't families, or good families, but liberals are more fringe interested than core interested when it comes to politics as they relate to family values. Imho - Fact. I don't think any liberal can actual argue that point effectively simply because the make-up of conservative vs liberal is exactly this and has to be.

Greg Jennings

Hmmm.....don't remember dismissing anything. I clearly stated that such action by either side both happens and is bad.

But I'm hardly shocked by it. The same has been done by right wing nutjobs just as this was done by left wing nutjobs. It's not really new

Lon

Hmmm.....don't remember dismissing anything. I clearly stated that such action by either side both happens and is bad.

But I'm hardly shocked by it. The same has been done by right wing nutjobs just as this was done by left wing nutjobs. It's not really new

Again, I don't think you appreciating the topic, but are making a passing comment that doesn't really address the concerns of the study or the problem of liberal commentary. Perhaps read a bit more. -Lon