Learning More About God by reading the Torah

Status
Not open for further replies.

TweetyBird

"νόμος nŏmŏs, nom´-os; from a prim. νέμω nĕmō (to parcel out, espec. food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), gen. (regulation), spec. (of Moses [includ. the volume]; also of the Gospel), or fig. (a principle):—law."

Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 50). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

"LAW (Heb. tôrâ; also mîṣwâ “commandment,” dāḇār “word, commandment,” ḥōq “statute, decree,” mîšpaṭ “ordinance, judgment”; Aram. dāṯ “law, regulation”; Gk. nómos).†"

Myers, A. C. (1987). In The Eerdmans Bible dictionary (p. 644). Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.

Because Rom 5 is specifically talking about the Law of Moses then I believe this chapter is too. Which would mean that the Law is our schoolmaster in the sense that it taught us sin. The law is not meant to save (Faith does that) but it is meant to teach! Much like the Heb rendering "Torah"

The Law is not our teacher - Jesus is our Teacher. He taught the Kingdom of God/Heaven, not Torah. Everything that He taught is superior to, and different than what Torah teaches. If you follow Torah, you are going to miss the truths that He taught and what the writers of the NT tell is the Law of Christ in His new covenant.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Judaism is post Christianity. It came out of Rabbinic Talmudism - the religion of the Jews. It has nothing to do with Christianity and has rejected Jesus Christ. There is no such thing as Biblical Judaism.

That is not Judaism. Judaism is a religion, a way of life for religious Jews that do not accept Jesus as their Messiah. It began with the Mishnah/Talmud and has been the religion of the Jews ever since.

The TaNaKh came after - 150+ AD. It is recorded in the Mishnah, not the Bible.

Ex, Lev, Num, and Deut record the prophecies of Moses aka they are written down. He was called a Prophet in the Law. Leaving him out of the "Nevi'im" is dishonest and mockery of God's Word.
Judaism and our Messiah predate Christianity. The early believers were entirely Jewish, Jews, of Israel.

Acts 11:26 NASB - 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

This verse says when the disciples were first called Christians. Was this even Christianity? I believe that Christianity is not a new religion. We believe the truth of scripture, even all that has come before Christ, and the scriptures we have after Christ as well. The word Messiah means anointed, as with the word Christ. Yeshua is the Messiah. Jesus is the Christ.

Romans 1:16-17 NASB.

Moses is a Prophet. The first five books, the Five Books of Moses, the Torah, are not called the Nevi'im. That is that.

The following will help you.

Matthew 5:17 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

Matthew 7:12 NASB - 12 "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 11:13 NASB - 13 "For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

Matthew 22:40 NASB - 40 "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Luke 16:16 NASB - 16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

Luke 24:44 NASB - 44 Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."

John 1:45 NASB - 45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."

Acts 13:15 NASB - 15 After the reading of the Law and the Prophets the synagogue officials sent to them, saying, "Brethren, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say it."

Acts 24:14 NASB - 14 "But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets;

Acts 28:23 NASB - 23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.

Romans 3:21 NASB - 21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Read verse 29. That is the problem when you promote Torah as superior to Christ.
No.

Hebrews 3:1-19 NASB - 1 Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the Apostle and High Priest of our confession; 2 He was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Moses also was in all His house. 3 For He has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, by just so much as the builder of the house has more honor than the house. 4 For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God. 5 Now Moses was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken later; 6 but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house--whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end. 7 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says,"TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, 8 DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME,AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS, 9 WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED Me BY TESTING Me,AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS. 10 "THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION,AND SAID, 'THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART,AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS'; 11 AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH,'THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.'" 12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end, 15 while it is said,"TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS, AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME." 16 For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses? 17 And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:1-16 NASB - 1 Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. 3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said,"AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH,THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST,"although His works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS"; 5 and again in this passage, "THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST." 6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, 7 He again fixes a certain day, "Today," saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before,"TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS." 8 For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. 11 Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. 14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
gehenna - burning hell
hades - death/grave
sheol - death/grave
tartarus - condition of fallen angels [damned,waiting for judgment and the lake of fire aka hell]
I am not sure about what you say but you are probably not the only one to believe it. May what we believe be informed by the truth of scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.