Learning More About God by reading the Torah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilstu

Then you should be sacrificing animals for your sin, and doing ritual cleansings with sacrifices at the Temple for contamination of the flesh, etc. 613 is a whole lot of commandments that you are passing over to think you are keeping all of God's commandments.

Sin is violating a commandment. Jesus was required to keep all 613 to be sinlessl

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Eternal torment in hell. Sin is not believing in Jesus Christ, not having faith in God, not loving one's brother. It does not matter how perfectly you think you are keeping the Law of Moses, it is not going to matter one iota to God in the end. He is only going to look at one's heart and whether or not it's been made pure and righteous in the blood of Christ. Moses is not going to help you at judgment.
I am saved by the blood of Jesus.

What do you mean when you speak of hell, eternal torment in hell? Do you have a scripture for what you are saying?

What word do you get the word hell from?

Are you familiar with the lake of fire?

Revelation 20:14 KJV - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Lilstu

The acronym "TaNaKh" comes from the Talmud. It separates the OT into 3 parts. The OT is not separated into 3 parts.

The Tanakh IS the Old Testament. It is the first five books [The Law, books by Moses] the Prophets, and all the rest called the Writings.

TweetyBird

Please show. You have said this before. I have not read this in the Talmud.

The TaNaKh is the Torah, the Nevi'im, and the Kethuvim. This is the Hebrew Bible. I don't know anything about this being from the Talmud. This is about scripture. These are the writings that many Christians call the Old Testament. But Christians have a different book order and arrangement. The question is, which came first... the TaNaKh or the Old Testament? Judaism came first, and the Jewish Scriptures (the Torah or the TaNaKh, the Torah being the Jewish Bible). But the New Testament came before the Talmud.

Scripture does not define itself as the "writings, prophets, and law". It's not an accurate view of Scriptures. The Nevi'im does not include Moses, yet the Bible calls him a prophet, just one example of a false characterization of setting up 3 divisions of the OT where none exists. The term "TaHakH" came from Rabbinical Judaism based in the Talmud, called the Mikra.

"The Tanakh consists of twenty-four books: it counts as one book each Samuel, Kings, Chronicles and Ezra–Nehemiah and counts Trei Asar (תרי עשר, the Twelve Prophets; literally "twelve") as a single book.

The Torah (תּוֹרָה, literally "teaching") consists of five books, commonly referred to as the "Five Books of Moses". Printed versions of the Torah are often called Chamisha Chumshei Torah (חמישה חומשי תורה, literally the "five fifth-sections of the Torah"), and informally a Chumash."

You think you know what you are talking about, but it is obvious that you have not studied the Talmud or Mishnah and do not understand its divisions of the OT and why is is not a Christian view of the OT Scriptures.

TweetyBird

I am saved by the blood of Jesus.

What do you mean when you speak of hell, eternal torment in hell? Do you have a scripture for what you are saying?

What word do you get the word hell from?

Are you familiar with the lake of fire?

Revelation 20:14 KJV - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

You are promoting Moses, not Jesus. Moses is not going to help you at judgment. If you are keeping Moses, then you will be judged by that Law, not through the blood of Christ. Heb 10 might be a good place to start reading.

Hell is the lake of fire - gehenna, translated as hell in the Bible. Hell can mean other things depending on which Hebrew word is used. When I stated that hell is eternal torment, I am referring to gehenna and the second death in the lake of fire. I am surprised for one who claims to be a scholar that you do not know these things. Perhaps you should get your nose out of Torah and start reading what Jesus said.

TweetyBird

If you don't sin you don't need to sacrifice an animal for sin.

All were required to offer sacrifices for sins. You need to read the Law to see the truth, instead of making up false information about what Jesus did or did not do. There is not one single verse in the entire Bible that states Jesus had to obey the Mosaic Law in order to be the Lamb of God slain for sin.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Scripture does not define itself as the "writings, prophets, and law". It's not an accurate view of Scriptures. The Nevi'im does not include Moses, yet the Bible calls him a prophet, just one example of a false characterization of setting up 3 divisions of the OT where none exists. The term "TaHakH" came from Rabbinical Judaism based in the Talmud, called the Mikra.

"The Tanakh consists of twenty-four books: it counts as one book each Samuel, Kings, Chronicles and Ezra–Nehemiah and counts Trei Asar (תרי עשר, the Twelve Prophets; literally "twelve") as a single book.

The Torah (תּוֹרָה, literally "teaching") consists of five books, commonly referred to as the "Five Books of Moses". Printed versions of the Torah are often called Chamisha Chumshei Torah (חמישה חומשי תורה, literally the "five fifth-sections of the Torah"), and informally a Chumash."

You think you know what you are talking about, but it is obvious that you have not studied the Talmud or Mishnah and do not understand its divisions of the OT and why is is not a Christian view of the OT Scriptures.

Judaism came before Christianity, and Christianity is of Judaism. The Scriptures were there before the New Testament. And the New Testament was there before the Talmud. You have not proven or shown in any way that the TaNaKh came after the New Testament with the Talmud.

Maybe this will help.

Luke 24:44 NASB - 44 Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."

Your argument about how Moses is a prophet, and he is, and yet that the Nevi'im does not include anything written of him or attributed to him such that the OT is not divided into the three divisions of the TaNaKh does not make sense to me. Which came first, the TaNaKh or the Old Testament? The TaNaKh or the New Testament? The TaNaKh or the Talmud?

Do you understand that the Torah is the Jewish Bible? Do you know that the TaNaKh is the Hebrew Bible? Do you know what Scripture is? Do you know what holy sacred scripture is? Holy Scripture, Sacred Scripture, is the Jewish Scriptures. We also have the Holy Bible, God's Word.

Do you know about the Hebrew Bible? That it was translated into Greek? Do you know which writings these were?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You are promoting Moses, not Jesus. Moses is not going to help you at judgment. If you are keeping Moses, then you will be judged by that Law, not through the blood of Christ. Heb 10 might be a good place to start reading.

Hell is the lake of fire - gehenna, translated as hell in the Bible. Hell can mean other things depending on which Hebrew word is used. When I stated that hell is eternal torment, I am referring to gehenna and the second death in the lake of fire. I am surprised for one who claims to be a scholar that you do not know these things. Perhaps you should get your nose out of Torah and start reading what Jesus said.

Your attacks do not need to be directed at anyone, and I forgive you.

I study Torah daily. I own a Chumash. This week we complete the Torah reading cycle. I listen to or read Torah each Sabbath. I know what Jesus has said. It is my belief that Jesus observed and taught Torah, the Law, God's Instruction. He taught more than the first five books.

As for being a scholar there is no problem with anyone claiming they are a scholar, unless someone has a reason for saying this. There is nothing wrong with being a Torah scholar. But I don't know where you see me saying this, what you are saying, or why it is important to you.

I suggest the following to you.

Hebrews 10:26-31 NASB - 26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. 28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE." 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

You have here said you understand hell to be the lake of fire, gehenna. I believe you are differentiating gehenna from hades.

Lilstu

All were required to offer sacrifices for sins. You need to read the Law to see the truth, instead of making up false information about what Jesus did or did not do. There is not one single verse in the entire Bible that states Jesus had to obey the Mosaic Law in order to be the Lamb of God slain for sin.

Jesus was Jewish. The Apostles were Jewish. The first Christians were Jewish.
So what law did they follow to not sin?

Lilstu

Do you have a Scripture?

It appears to me from reading your posts that you believe in a Jesus who is not Jewish.
Galatians 4:4-5 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

Jdorman

The Greek reads washing (G3067 λουτρόν loutron) of regeneration (G3824 παλιγγενεσία paliggenesia), not mikveh. They are two completely unrelated processes. Regeneration is spiritual. A mikveh is physical and mystical.

Many commentators understand "washing of regeneration" to mean water baptism. Washing = water ... regeneration = rebirth. So The use of mikveh here is a paraphrase used to convey the meaning to a Jewish audience in a way they would immediately understand.

David K Bernard explains it like this:
"Titus 3:5 is a companion verse to John 3:5, and it apparently refers to water baptism. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost." Regeneration simply means new birth, so here is a second passage linking water and Spirit with the new birth. The wording of this verse points strongly to water baptism rather than to the other alternatives. It describes a specific act of washing, distinct from the work of the Spirit.

Many translations emphasize the connotation of a specific act: "the laver of regeneration" (Conybeare), "the bathing of the new birth" (Rotherham), "the bath of regeneration" (Weymouth), and "the water of rebirth" (New English Bible). This act of washing is a cleansing from sin, which brings to mind Ananias' instructions to Paul: "Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16). Paul recounted the story in Acts 22 and wrote the words in Titus 3, 50 presumably he was aware of the parallel thought.

The conclusion is inescapable: "the washing of regeneration," which means "the new birth of water," is the washing away of sins at water baptism. Indeed, according to Bloesch, "Biblical scholars generally agree that the washing of regeneration refers to the rite of baptism." [34]

Jdorman

That's not what the Greek states. Stern took so many liberties with the text, he completely changed the NT. Paul is showing that faith supersedes the Law of Moses in Rom 5.

Let me ask you a question. Why is it that if one does not believe in Jesus Christ for salvation, that one must walk in faith or they are not a child of God --- these are the most heinous sins of all, yet you insist that Torah is the end all definition of sin?

"νόμος nŏmŏs, nom´-os; from a prim. νέμω nĕmō (to parcel out, espec. food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), gen. (regulation), spec. (of Moses [includ. the volume]; also of the Gospel), or fig. (a principle):—law."

Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 50). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

"LAW (Heb. tôrâ; also mîṣwâ “commandment,” dāḇār “word, commandment,” ḥōq “statute, decree,” mîšpaṭ “ordinance, judgment”; Aram. dāṯ “law, regulation”; Gk. nómos).†"

Myers, A. C. (1987). In The Eerdmans Bible dictionary (p. 644). Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.

Because Rom 5 is specifically talking about the Law of Moses then I believe this chapter is too. Which would mean that the Law is our schoolmaster in the sense that it taught us sin. The law is not meant to save (Faith does that) but it is meant to teach! Much like the Heb rendering "Torah"

TweetyBird

If you don't sin you don't need to sacrifice an animal for sin.

Israel was required to bring sacrifices for sin. Period. There was no exceptions.

Jesus also touched dead people and did not go to the Priests for purification. That is also part of the 613 commandments.

TweetyBird

Judaism came before Christianity, and Christianity is of Judaism. The Scriptures were there before the New Testament. And the New Testament was there before the Talmud. You have not proven or shown in any way that the TaNaKh came after the New Testament with the Talmud./quote]

Judaism is post Christianity. It came out of Rabbinic Talmudism - the religion of the Jews. It has nothing to do with Christianity and has rejected Jesus Christ. There is no such thing as Biblical Judaism.

Maybe this will help.

Luke 24:44 NASB - 44 Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."

That is not Judaism. Judaism is a religion, a way of life for religious Jews that do not accept Jesus as their Messiah. It began with the Mishnah/Talmud and has been the religion of the Jews ever since.

Your argument about how Moses is a prophet, and he is, and yet that the Nevi'im does not include anything written of him or attributed to him such that the OT is not divided into the three divisions of the TaNaKh does not make sense to me. Which came first, the TaNaKh or the Old Testament? The TaNaKh or the New Testament? The TaNaKh or the Talmud?
The TaNaKh came after - 150+ AD. It is recorded in the Mishnah, not the Bible.

Ex, Lev, Num, and Deut record the prophecies of Moses aka they are written down. He was called a Prophet in the Law. Leaving him out of the "Nevi'im" is dishonest and mockery of God's Word.

TweetyBird

Your attacks do not need to be directed at anyone, and I forgive you.

I study Torah daily. I own a Chumash. This week we complete the Torah reading cycle. I listen to or read Torah each Sabbath. I know what Jesus has said. It is my belief that Jesus observed and taught Torah, the Law, God's Instruction. He taught more than the first five books.

As for being a scholar there is no problem with anyone claiming they are a scholar, unless someone has a reason for saying this. There is nothing wrong with being a Torah scholar. But I don't know where you see me saying this, what you are saying, or why it is important to you.

I suggest the following to you.

Hebrews 10:26-31 NASB - 26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. 28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE." 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Read verse 29. That is the problem when you promote Torah as superior to Christ.

You have here said you understand hell to be the lake of fire, gehenna. I believe you are differentiating gehenna from hades.

gehenna - burning hell
hades - death/grave
sheol - death/grave
tartarus - condition of fallen angels [damned,waiting for judgment and the lake of fire aka hell]

TweetyBird

You should read all of scripture. I have no problem with anything Jesus has said, or anything in scripture.

The problem is that you elevate Torah above Christ. All you talk about is Torah. All you want people to accept is Torah. You want people to think that Torah and the Talmud are the optimum ways to be obedient to God. You do not quote the NT in regard to what is expected of those who belong to Jesus Christ. You only throw Torah on the table as an end-all and complete view of what you think the commands of God are. You are stuck in the same place as unrepentant and unbelieving Jews because you live according to the traditions of their man made religion, which has rejected Christ, instead of living out the new covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.