Kentucky clerk who refused gay couples taken into federal custody; ordered jailed

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you are free to ignore me
but
I cannot ignore your support for same sex marriage
and
it is my job to make sure no one else does
Just to be clear here, if you recognize the legal necessity of the Court's conclusion, irrespective of agreeing with the reasoning it used and irrespective of whether or not you object morally to the proposition, would that qualify you as a same sex marriage supporter to your understanding?

Or, short forming, can you agree there's no legitimate legal reason for denying same sex marriage while opposing the idea morally without being considered a supporter of SSM by your understanding?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Just to be clear here, if you recognize the legal necessity of the Court's conclusion, irrespective of agreeing with the reasoning it used and irrespective of whether or not you object morally to the proposition, would that qualify you as a same sex marriage supporter to your understanding?

Or, short forming, can you agree there's no legitimate legal reason for denying same sex marriage while opposing the idea morally without being considered a supporter of SSM by your understanding?

-the law must sustain the right absent a secular argument that meets the standard.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It's based on the idea that ultimately the prohibition against civil same-sex marriage is rooted in a religious belief and that the gov't should remain open on that.

I actually am somewhat open to the type of argument you make about what marriage laws are intended to do and why gay couples aren't included in that, but I think those fail at a certain point as well.

It failed the moment it assumed that every couple is capable OR willing to have children.

they all support same sex marriage

does it really matter why they do?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
what about protecting the children?

WHAT children? You are making an assumption that all couples plan to or WILL have children. Since it's not a requirement, the assumption is baseless.

how can marriage do that?
if
it is just a meaningless

Ah ... herein lies the problem. You have made the universal assumption about the marriages of other people. People you do NOT know.

To *you* ... the happiness of a gay couple is "meaningless". To them, it is every bit as meaningful as your marriage.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
-the law must sustain the right absent a secular argument that meets the standard.
That's right. It's not an answer to my question, which is unsurprising. Yes, chrys, you can't just slap a law into being because it advances your particular moral understanding. So good Catholics don't get to outlaw condoms and Muslims can't insist on Sharia standards as the legal norm. Right.

Looks like you're just pulling an aCW homosexualist bit then...unsurprising but still disappointing to see.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's right. It's not an answer to my question, which is unsurprising. Yes, chrys, you can't just slap a law into being because it advances your particular moral understanding. So good Catholics don't get to outlaw condoms and Muslims can't insist on Sharia standards as the legal norm. Right.

Looks like you're just pulling an aCW homosexualist bit then...unsurprising but still disappointing to see.

so how do you propose to protect the children
if
marriage is not the way to do it?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Married parents does not mandate or even presuppose that any children will be "protected". Protected from what exactly?

He seems to believe that a heterosexual couple saying "I do" is the equivalent of Ozzy and Harriet.

Jose Fly

Looks like this isn't over yet. One of her deputy clerks has filed a report to Judge Bunning alleging that Davis violated the court order when she changed the marriage licenses to remove the name of the county, add that they were due to "a federal court order", and have them authorized by a notary public rather than the county clerk (or deputy clerk).

You can read about it HERE.