Kentucky clerk who refused gay couples taken into federal custody; ordered jailed

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
did you consider serving as a non-combatant - a medical corpsman?
I would be sending young people out to kill again.

I knew about half a dozen friends who went into the army. Three of them showed me pictures of them in the field with human ears hanging around their necks as a necklace. And in one picture, women's amputated breasts held up in triumph. One of them threw a Vietnamese woman off a three-story balcony. One guy--a couple of years older than me--was our town's first casualty.

One wrote this poem:

We followed the blood trail
and found only an abandoned pack.
The Lieutenant took the cash,
the men divided the food,
intelligence was sent the love letters
and I got the credit for a probable kill.
Intelligence reported the letters
were from a woman in the southern provinces.
Which meant she was arrested,
beaten, raped, locked in a tiger cage,
forced to eat her own excrement
and beaten again.
If she confessed, she was executed.
If she refused to confess, she was executed.
It was a funny war.
I shot a man.
I killed a woman.

War dehumanizes us. We are forced to learn to kill other human beings and it is not right. That's the reason we have boot camps and basic training. We have to be taught to kill. It does not come naturally. It does not surprise me in the least that many of our men and women are suffering from PTSD. Or that they are killing themselves when they actually realize what they did over there.

Most Americans have no idea whatsoever what war means. I once spoke to an end-stage cancer patient who told me he was on the beach at Normandy. He saw his own lieutenant's head explode right in front of him. He cried and told me that was the first time he had EVER talked about that day to anyone.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Edit: the state taxes and the state licenses. It has to permit the activity, that is the activity must be lawful before it can be licensed.

Yes. As I said, we safely can ignore the taxation part of your argument. If I'm understanding you right, you are saying that taxation presupposes permission and license (whether formally, vis-a-vis actual state documentation, or else, informally, in which case license is nothing but permission). Again, I've already shown why mere permission or allowance doesn't constitute cooperation. Permission, at least in the negative sense, implies inaction, not action.

So the problem doesn't arise in the taxation. It arises in the license (here, understood not as simple permission, but as formally expressed in State documentation).

It's arguing with half the point, which is the foundation for what follows.

And that half the point ultimately is irrelevent to the case. That's what I'm getting at. You can't argue "allowance" for the reasons I've already indicated. If your point is driven by arguments about "allowance," they're doomed to failure from the start. Simple allowances doesn't constitute cooperation.

No, taxation is the further profit from license, which is itself profitable.

Great. Then let's stick to discussion about license, and ignore the matter of taxation. I think, by now, it's evident that the taxation bit ultimately doesn't matter for our discussion. :idunno:

Well, no, not if you understand that they literally have a license to sell their product. You're thinking of license as permission, I suppose.

I understood it in the former sense. I understand you as saying the following: The government taxes cigarretes and issues licenses to cigarrette salesmen. Taxation of cigarettes presupposes the issuance of licenses.

What I am saying is that we can ignore the latter point, since the "force" of your argument ultimately comes, not from taxation, but from the issuance of the license. Taxation in and of itself doesn't get you the point that you want.

It was in the quote itself. If you can't operate a business without purchasing a license then your sale depends on that license.

Right. I still wonder whether this constitutes facilitation, though. Spoken differently, is the government actually doing something to promote the sale of tobacco? It seems to me that the purpose of State issuance of licenses for the sale of tobbaco is to restrict tobacco sales, not to promote it. In other words: "We won't make tobacco sales illegal, but if you want to sell it, then you'd better make sure that you comply with x, y and z regulations."

You may be right, though, that there is at least some degree of cooperation in issuing such licenses. I just don't know what degree that is. It may or may not be formal (though I really don't think that it's formal).

And again, what does the license do? Is it just a State permission to sell with no further benefit or State intervention?

If so, it seems to me to be disanalogous to the issuance of marriage licenses to homosexual couples.

1. By issuing a marriage license, the State is saying: "These people are married." I.e., the State is saying: "We recognize that these sodomites are 'married.'" That in and of itself constitutes formal cooperation.

2. The State attaches all sorts of rights, priveleges, benefits, etc. to being married. Not to mention the associated social/cultural connotations/approval. Again: formal cooperation.

Is a marriage license really comparable to a tobacco selling license? One strikes me as more of a simple permission (aimed at restriction and dissuasion), whereas the other strikes me as more of an endorsement and promotion.

I've never thought of it in those terms. Why not ask if a white lie outrages God? Else, I believe that knowingly harming yourself is contrary to His will and that seems sinful to me, however you couch the harm and God's reaction.

Every sin is an offense against God and incurs His righteous anger and punishment (not to be understood anthropomorphically, of course).

I'm suggesting it is virtuous to keep your body in good working order for the sake of your witness as a Christian, that those things which work contrary to that state work contrary to the good and God's desire.

"The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air (CCC 2290)."

I'm not sure what constitutes "abuse." I have severe doubts that smoking a single cigar less than once a month constitutes abuse.

My thoughts on this are the following:

Like most matters of temperance (i.e., food, drink, sex, and other goods of the body), most of these acts are not intrinsically evil (the exception being contraceptives, sodomy, bestiality and other such things which wholly frustrate the end of the faculty involved). In cases of temperance, degree actually does count. One piece of pie is fine. The entire pie? Probably not. 2 beers are fine. 12 are not.

And harms anyone who smokes, also contributing to deaths from associated effects.

158,040 Americans are expected to die from lung cancer in 2015, according to the American Lung Association. Additionally, "Smoking, a main cause of small cell and non-small cell lung cancer, contributes to 80 percent and 90 percent of lung cancer deaths in women and men, respectively. Men who smoke are 23 times more likely to develop lung cancer."

A cursory google search showed me that all of those numbers ultimately amount to the following:

1 in 10 lifelong smokers get lung cancer.
Roughly 1 in 3 will die from a smoking related illness.

Note, these are lifelong smokers.

I don't think that a single cigar less than once a month will destroy your health.

Smoking is an attack on your own body, a body no longer your own and therefore an attack on the owner. Take a guess at who that landlord is.

You needn't even appeal to God. You could also make the argument that it constitutes a sin against justice against the political society. We are related to it, insofar as material individuals, as part to whole (contra the insistences of the libertarians).

No, it's an answer to, "What harm?" in part.

Fair enough.

Which wouldn't address the point that this act is both harmful and without any redeeming or offsetting moral value. You could die saving a busload of nuns and count it virtuous. But we aren't talking about that.

There could be "redeeming and offsetting" goods. Smoking a single cigar at a monthly party with your friends obtains goods of relaxation, social interaction, etc, whereas the harm to your health is probably negligible.

I mean, I don't recommend it, of course. I just doubt that it would constitute an abuse.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes. As I said, we safely can ignore the taxation part of your argument.
I know you say it, but I don't see why. Taxation follows the state approving of the commerce, meaning the state can anticipate its license will facilitate the trade and that trade will, in turn, bring the silent partner of the state into greater profits than the mere license. Sounds like a partnership to me.

If I'm understanding you right, you are saying that taxation presupposes permission and license (whether formally, vis-a-vis actual state documentation, or else, informally, in which case license is nothing but permission).
I'm not sure why you try so hard to complicate the proposition. I'm saying that license is the beginning of a profitable partnership when it comes to commerce. The license is both permission for the business, in this case selling tobacco, and a means to make money with the understanding that if the business is successful the state will continue to reap rewards.

Again, I've already shown why mere permission or allowance doesn't constitute cooperation.
And I've demonstrated this that a license is more than "mere permission" though it does permit.

So the problem doesn't arise in the taxation.
I don't know what you think doesn't arise, but taxation is proof of the ongoing partnership. If I give sell you a place to build a brothel and then charge you to continue in the trade I'm not merely allowing you to run whores. I am by no real stretch of the imagination a partner in the enterprise. And that's before getting into my providing the infrastructure that contributes to the likelihood of your success and having that ready for you before you sell anything or pay a dime in taxes.

And that half the point ultimately is irrelevent to the case.
You're mistaken.

That's what I'm getting at. You can't argue "allowance" for the reasons I've already indicated.
I'm not and never have meant "mere allowance". I suppose I shouldn't presume those outside of business understand the finer points of transacting it or establishing a trade.

Great. Then let's stick to discussion about license, and ignore the matter of taxation.
No reason for me to do so and every reason to decline, supra.

I understood it in the former sense. I understand you as saying the following: The government taxes cigarretes and issues licenses to cigarrette salesmen. Taxation of cigarettes presupposes the issuance of licenses.
The government issues licenses to those who sell goods, from the manufacturer to the store owner. So Acme Tobacco begins its life through incorporation and the buying of a license to do business for a legal purpose.

What I am saying is that we can ignore the latter point, since the "force" of your argument ultimately comes, not from taxation, but from the issuance of the license. Taxation in and of itself doesn't get you the point that you want.
I think it does, establishing part of the motivation for the state to enter into this partnership in commerce.

Right. I still wonder whether this constitutes facilitation, though. Spoken differently, is the government actually doing something to promote the sale of tobacco?
I don't know of any reason why that should be the litmus. Else, I've given you ample reason to see the entanglement of state with commerce, the taking of profit at inception and thereafter, the establishment of material benefits to the business by which they may both transact business and receive customers.

It seems to me that the purpose of State issuance of licenses for the sale of tobbaco is to restrict tobacco sales, not to promote it.
No, it's to raise revenue and promote job growth. Part of that means having competitive markets. Anyone who can create sufficient capital can find themselves accepted to the profit taking club the state is running.

You may be right, though, that there is at least some degree of cooperation in issuing such licenses. I just don't know what degree that is. It may or may not be formal (though I really don't think that it's formal).
There's little more formal than legal requirements.

And again, what does the license do? Is it just a State permission to sell with no further benefit or State intervention?
It raises money for the state and begins the partnership of profit taking by both entities.

If so, it seems to me to be disanalogous to the issuance of marriage licenses to homosexual couples.
Well, in the case of tobacco it would be the state advancing an evil, a known harm. I assumed that's how you felt about gay marriage.

1. By issuing a marriage license, the State is saying: "These people are married." I.e., the State is saying: "We recognize that these sodomites are 'married.'" That in and of itself constitutes formal cooperation.
Then by issuing the license for tobacco sales the state is saying, "We recognize this product may be sold by this company." And that product is aimed at making money off the addiction and harm done to other human beings.

2. The State attaches all sorts of rights, priveleges, benefits, etc. to being married. Again: formal cooperation.
Corporations have all sorts of rights too, including speech.

Is a marriage license really comparable to a tobacco selling license?
Of course, though no one can say that marriage is itself lethal or even inherently harmful, unlike tobacco.

One strikes me as more of a simple permission (aimed at restriction and dissuasion), whereas the other strikes me as more of an endorsement and promotion.
It strikes you in error for the reasons given above and prior.

"The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air (CCC 2290)."

I'm not sure what constitutes "abuse." I have severe doubts that smoking a single cigar less than once a month constitutes abuse.
Any inhalation of the substances in a cigarette is harmful. The harm may not be lasting, but then neither are any number of sinful acts lastingly harmful outside of the moral impact and perhaps the quantitative impact on the choices we make and what we excuse.

Like most matters of temperance (i.e., food, drink, sex, and other goods of the body), most of these acts are not intrinsically evil (the exception being contraceptives, sodomy, bestiality and other such things which wholly frustrate the end of the faculty involved). In cases of temperance, degree actually does count. One piece of pie is fine. The entire pie? Probably not. 2 beers are fine. 12 are not.
A piece of pie has nutritional value. So does beer. Most things in sufficient moderation can be beneficial. Tobacco isn't one of them. There's nothing in tobacco that is of benefit to the human body and much in it that is harmful and may be fatal, before we address the willful intent and focus on addicting the user.

A cursory google search showed me that all of those numbers ultimately amount to the following:

1 in 10 lifelong smokers get lung cancer.
Roughly 1 in 3 will die from a smoking related illness.
Bad odds for a substance that is designed to addict you.

Note, these are lifelong smokers.

I don't think that a single cigar less than once a month will destroy your health.
A lie may not destroy your character, but it's still a harm.

There could be "redeeming and offsetting" goods. Smoking a single cigar at a monthly party with your friends obtains goods of relaxation, social interaction, etc, whereas the harm to your health is probably negligible.
I don't see anything in that attempt to justify an unjustifiable behavior, even without examining the impact it could have on those friends or on anyone who thinks of you or them as role models, and without considering whether every one of those friends could hold themselves to the single cigar.

But ultimately you're meeting a solid fact, that smoking does your body harm and not good, with subjective impressions and suppositions about behavior that don't materially alter that fact.

Last edited:

drbrumley

Kim Davis said in an interview:
They told my husband they were going to burn us down while we slept in our home… He’s been told that he would be beaten up and tied up and made to watch them rape me. I have been told that gays should kill me.
The homosexual movement is the most hateful and most vile group in all of the Western world. The sodomites are supremacists; they believe that they have the superior lifestyle, a disposition and constitution more superior than the “others,” who they consider as inferior breeders. This is the ideology of sodomism.

If that is true, that is vile!

TracerBullet

Kim Davis said in an interview:
They told my husband they were going to burn us down while we slept in our home… He’s been told that he would be beaten up and tied up and made to watch them rape me. I have been told that gays should kill me.
The homosexual movement is the most hateful and most vile group in all of the Western world. The sodomites are supremacists; they believe that they have the superior lifestyle, a disposition and constitution more superior than the “others,” who they consider as inferior breeders. This is the ideology of sodomism.

If that is true, that is vile!

If its true. Think about it for a moment. Gays are threatening to RAPE HER. Why would men who have no interest in sexual relations with a woman in the first place state that they want to have non-consensual sexual relations with Davis????

What makes a lot more sense is that this announcement was timed to keep her in the weekend news cycle and to cast her as a victim and gays as "hateful and vile"

Davis is telling Fox news all about these threats....but she isn't involving the police.... :think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No, not necessarily. Supposing that the Catholic isn't a heretic, it's almost certainly not formal cooperation. It's material cooperation in evil (of some sort). Is it justified...? :idunno:

I'm not really up to going further than that, but this is something that you can probably google.

When would material cooperation in evil be justified?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Probably, formal cooperation in sin, or, if not, at the very least, immediate material cooperation in sin.

As to the rest of your post, I either have nothing really new to add, or else, it's just too tangential to the main point. The thread's not really about Hell. :idunno:

trad's link said:
Mediate material cooperation is concurrence in the morally wrong action of another, not by actually doing the act in any way and not by intending to do the act, but by supplying some peripheral assistance, or preparation for the act to be performed. This assistance must be in itself a good or at least morally indifferent act.

Since the mediate cooperator does not intend but foresees an evil effect of his action, the principle of double effect applies. This is a very important point because foreseeing this evil effect is an activity of conscience in and of itself, and therefore requires appealing to the principle of double effect as well as to the principle of cooperation.

How does God fit into that?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Kmoney:

Again, the alcoholic example, note the following possibilities:

You can actively try to stop the alcoholic from drinking.

You can shrug your shoulders and not be involved in anyway.

You can indirectly contribute to the alcoholic's activities even though you aren't directly encouraging it or providing necessary facilitation. For example, you might be holding the alcoholic's beer while he goes to the restroom. That would be material cooperation.

You can buy the alcoholic beer and say: "Here you go, buddy. Chug, chug!" That would be formal cooperation.

The last one is basically like what the State is doing by issuing marriage licenses to sodomite couples.

Yes, I can see the distinction. Do you think other anti-discrimination laws are also analogous to the 'chug' example?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

when it serves a greater good?

atomic bombing of japan saved millions of lives by ending the war quickly, even though it was known that innocents would die

i believe town is making a similar point when he says that legalizing perversion is a necessary evil - that the greater good that is served is adherence to principles in the Constitution

of course, most people recognize that as self-serving hooey :idunno:

bybee

atomic bombing of japan saved millions of lives by ending the war quickly, even though it was known that innocents would die

i believe town is making a similar point when he says that legalizing perversion is a necessary evil - that the greater good that is served is adherence to principles in the Constitution

of course, most people recognize that as self-serving hooey :idunno:

Well, do you wish to lose your freedoms?
I do not!
Therefore, it is freedom that I must support and protect.
This certainly does not mean approval of everyone's choices.
But, DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
and, I won't tell you what to do....
What is nice in a forum such as this, we are able to find our common ground one with another and rejoice in it!

ok doser

yes, i would happily give up many of the "freedoms" that our evil legal system has discovered in the past couple generations

the "freedom" to murder my unborn child
the "freedom" to live in a culture saturated with pornography
the "freedom" to commit adultery
the "freedom" to a quick and easy divorce
the "freedom" to have my perversion recognized as normal
the "freedom" to molest children ***

*** coming soon to a perverted society near you!

bybee

yes, i would happily give up many of the "freedoms" that our evil legal system has discovered in the past couple generations

the "freedom" to murder my unborn child
the "freedom" to live in a culture saturated with pornography
the "freedom" to commit adultery
the "freedom" to a quick and easy divorce
the "freedom" to have my perversion recognized as normal
the "freedom" to molest children ***

*** coming soon to a perverted society near you!

It is already here. It has always been here.
We who live in the Grace of God do not make such choices.
But choice is a God granted gift to humans. (At least within certain parameters)
Perhaps all that one may do is be a light unto one's surroundings?
Be salt and leaven within one's society?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I do not!
Therefore, it is freedom that I must support and protect.
This certainly does not mean approval of everyone's choices.
But, DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
nd, I won't tell you what to do....
Essentially. We're free to exercise our conscience as long as that exercise doesn't impair the next fellow's freedom. So if we believe that drinking is an ill or evil we are free to abstain. We're free to tell the next fellow he should. We just aren't free to make the decision for him.

That general principle, with a hard standard for exception, is one way to avoid the religious wars that plagued and decimated Europe when the state took on the mantel of religion (or vice versa).

What is nice in a forum such as this, we are able to find our common ground one with another and rejoice in it!
:cheers:

ok doser

Essentially. We're free to exercise our conscience as long as that exercise doesn't impair the next fellow's freedom. So if we believe that drinking is an ill or evil we are free to abstain. We're free to tell the next fellow he should. We just aren't free to make the decision for him.

of course, the state does make that decision, and rightly so, when it comes to illegal drugs, pedophilia, polygamy, prostitution....

ok doser

It is already here. It has always been here.
We who live in the Grace of God do not make such choices.
But choice is a God granted gift to humans. (At least within certain parameters)
Perhaps all that one may do is be a light unto one's surroundings?
Be salt and leaven within one's society?

in this society, we get to make the rules

why would we not choose to base those rules on Godly morality?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

In order to avoid a worse evil, and even then, there are limits. In the initial link I gave, there are different kinds of material cooperation (about the details of which I'm not entirely clear).

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

I believe that this point actually is in error, i.e., about the use of the atomic bomb. "To cooperate" implies that the moral agent is not the primary agent in the commission of the act. If I'm cooperating with the alcoholic, then he's the one drinking to excess, not I.

There were, I am sure, all sorts of cases of cooperation in the case of said dropping. I.e., all sorts of people contributed to the dropping of the bombs who didn't actually do the dropping of the bombs, to a greater or lesser extent of contribution.

But if we're talking about the actual decision to drop and actual execution of dropping the bombs, then we're not talking about cooperation of any kind. We're talking about the actual commission of the act in question.

And here, double effect simply doesn't apply. The murder of innocent civilans, of wanton and indiscriminate destruction, was directly intended (likewise in the various of the fire bombings of Tokyo, of Dresden, etc.). The dropping of the atomic bombs constituted war crimes, heinous acts of terrorism. They constituted serious moral evils. They were not justified.

Had the U.S. lost the war, those responsible likely would have faced trial and punishment, and rightly so.

And this is a perfectly good argument if we're talking about simple decriminalization. St. Augustine and various others, e.g., thought it better that prostitution be decriminalized, lest the political society endure even worse evils, lest the civilians break out into even worse sins.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Yes, I can see the distinction. Do you think other anti-discrimination laws are also analogous to the 'chug' example?

1. "Anti-discrimination" is a loaded term. It prejudices the question. It's better to use more neutral terminology.

2. I don't know. "Anti-discrimination" legislation really isn't my expertise. :idunno: