Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

glorydaz

How do you get more "Jewish" than Judah himself? This begs the question, did all these details just happen to line up by accident?

You're quite the wack job. I was making fun of what you said. You don't see the quotes? Jesus came to the Jews....of course he was referring to the Jews. It was your silly notion that the beggar was a Gentile that was so ridiculous.

You're actually afraid of that text about the rich man and Lazarus, aren't you? It's unsettling because it puts a huge hole in your argument. So you reach, and you fish, and you scold, and you cajole, and you even go so far as to claim Jesus is telling a fable....a tall tale not even based on any fact. :nono:

glorydaz

Glorydaz, the bible is very good about being its own legend for symbols, even down to specific word phrases. If you find a word or phrase in one place, and look where it occurs elsewhere, it very often chains together.

You've got to be kidding. I had no idea.

Yes, Lazarus is associated with dogs, and even specifically from the recorded gospel, it records Jesus using and recognizing that exact same phrase "dog" and even that phrase "crumbs from the rich man's table" for the Gentile. Specifically, the Gentile who were not of the house of Israel. Why would those details even be in the account? Because that has a specific meaning and association. "Dog" was Jewish slang for "Gentile."

Then it must have been those darn Gentiles that came and licked his sores. Go figure.

Luke 16:20-22
And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

glorydaz

... but the goats thought there was nothing unusual or foreboding about being tormented in flame for a couple thousand years?

Of course not, they just thought it was natural. No big deal, you get used to it after a while, right?

Who said they saw nothing unusual in it? Who said they thought it was natural...no big deal? Who said they kept track of time?

Do you think you're making some point here? :juggle:

Lon

Lon, this is very important that we get past this. It seems that there's a wall or such here obstructing things.

God is the God of the Living because Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be raised in the resurrection. This is what Jesus said. Jesus did not say He was the God of the Living because Abraham existed in another realm. He did say that "AS TOUCHING THE RESURRECTION" and "THAT THEY RISE" that because God said he was their God, and still their God, this was proof that they would rise. Please tell me, why did Jesus say this was to prove the resurrection if it was really to disprove the resurrection? Because if the dead are in Paradise and aware, then God is the God of a Living Abraham without need of a future resurrection! And Christ has destroyed his own argument!
:doh: "God is the God of the Living NOT the dead!" You'll get no capitulation or traction on this one. We aren't even going to be able to 'see your side' empathetically on this one, let alone change to annihilation. :nono: To us 600 million, it is very clear.

Your forced interpretation is making literal nonsense of Christ's words.
Interesting :think: I was just going to say the exact same thing to you. :noway:
You've taken part of a passage and formed a doctrine around it, ignoring context.
I wasn't going to say this, though. I was going to say you don't seem to follow plain language very well :think:
I say "you" but as previously evidenced, that argument has been around since Sir Thomas More. It was challenged by the Reformers and to my knowledge, never answered.
I was hoping for a more enthusiastic commitment to "scripture only."
Unless ... biblical.
Unless we could agree on the ECF's, it'd just be distraction, I think.[/QUOTE]

Please answer directly then: source text again,

Acts 23:6-9 KJV
(6) But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
(7) And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
(8) For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.
(9) And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.

1. What are the two things that the Pharisees confessed? What is the first thing, and what is the second thing? Does it say three things? or two?
Says two. Does it 'mean' there weren't 3 things? :nono: They agreed with two. Clear enough.

2. If you chose "angel or spirit" as the second item, are these terms used as synonyms in verse 9? Or at least items of similar nature?
Psalm 8:5

3. What is "an angel" and what is "a spirit" with this context? Because it seemed that your entire allegation that the Pharisees believed that the dead were conscious rested upon the word "spirit" meaning "dead people who are conscious" rather than a created spirit being.
As I said, let the Pharisees go, it is more important specifically, that the Lord Jesus Christ said "God is the God of the Living, not the dead." It is as clear as it can get, He is not the God of the dead, no matter 'how long' you think otherwise. Imho, not worth our time. The Lord Jesus Christ made it exceptionally clear.

Psalms 104:4 KJV
(4) Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:

Hebrews 1:6-7 KJV
(6) And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
(7) And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

The Pharisees believed that God created thees spirits called angels (and devils) where the Sadducee denied such. The Pharisee believed in the resurrection of the dead, where the Sadducee denied such. Nothing is said at all about "believing the dead were conscious" and why would it? Unlike the Sadducee which rejected all of scripture except the books of Moses, the Pharisees acknowledged the whole scripture, including the books that told us that death is the absence of feeling, awareness, emotion, love, hatred, envy, or the ability to even know you are dead!

Matthew 27:50 KJV
(50) Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

OK.... he yielded up the ghost. You realize that's not the same as a person being conscious while dead, right? When someone "gives up the ghost" they die because the spirit which belongs to God that grants life returns to him. That same breath that God breathed into Adam and Eve.

Job 33:4 KJV
(4) The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Job 34:14-15 KJV
(14) If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath;
(15) All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust.

That "spirit" of life in man isn't the man, it's what is on loan from God. That's what returns to God when one dies, and it doesn't matter if that person was good or evil.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-21 KJV
(19) For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
(20) All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
(21) Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

God will restore life in the resurrection, but that spirit isn't spoken of as if it is a person, it is one spirit that belongs to God. "His spirit" it says, not "their spirits."
Not really helping imho. The body returns to the dust. I am not my body. 2 Corinthians 5:1 2 Peter 1:13

Yes, they certainly saw something. Jesus said they saw a vision.

Matthew 17:9 KJV
(9) And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
Vision doesn't mean illusion. :nono: It means "something seen."

So let's consider these possibilities:

1) The apostles saw a reality. In this case, why were they told it was a vision?
2) The apostles saw a vision, and it was in their minds. Mental illusion. No additional actors were necessary.
3) The apostles saw a vision, but anyone who was in the vicinity would have seen it. Physical illusion. No additional actors were necessary.
4) God raised Moses and Elijah out of some ethereal realm where they were previously conscious to partake of this vision. They played themselves.
5) God pulled Moses and Elijah from the dead to partake of this vision. They played themselves.
6) God used two angels to play the parts of Moses and Elijah.

It seems as if you are gravitating towards numbers 1 and 4. Can you explain why this is a preferable interpretation to the others?
Yes, because scripture says so.

Because 2, 3, 5 and 6 all seem like valid options, and none of those run afoul of the Old Testament that tells us the dead are dead without ability to praise God, none of these would necessitate contradiction. It seems to me that a contradictory interpretation should be last on our list, not first.
:nono: Because scripture doesn't say so.

By the way, as a side question, I have never seen what Moses or Elijah looked like. They Hebrews weren't big on making images. Why do you suppose they thought it was Moses and Elijah?
Good question.

Truster

Sort'a has the ring of bad news to it.

Hanging by the neck until dead robbed a man of dignity as did any form of decapitation. Dignity is something even pagans hold dear. Dignity is pride and Elohim hates pride. What a fitting end to a pride filled existence.

"Vengeance is mine says Yah Veh it is mine to repay".

You people not only question His Sovereign authority you bring into disrepute His wisdom in vengeance. His vengeance upon you will be fitting. I've often wondered if being bound hand a foot is a slow process...

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hanging by the neck until dead robbed a man of dignity as did any form of decapitation. Dignity is something even pagans hold dear. Dignity is pride and Elohim hates pride. What a fitting end to a pride filled existence.

"Vengeance is mine says Yah Veh it is mine to repay".

You people not only question His Sovereign authority you bring into disrepute His wisdom in vengeance. His vengeance upon you will be fitting. I've often wondered if being bound hand a foot is a slow process...

You people!

Zeke

:doh: "God is the God of the Living NOT the dead!" You'll get no capitulation or traction on this one. We aren't even going to be able to 'see your side' empathetically on this one, let alone change to annihilation. :nono: To us 600 million, it is very clear.

Interesting :think: I was just going to say the exact same thing to you. :noway:

I wasn't going to say this, though. I was going to say you don't seem to follow plain language very well :think:

Unless we could agree on the ECF's, it'd just be distraction, I think.

Says two. Does it 'mean' there weren't 3 things? :nono: They agreed with two. Clear enough.

Psalm 8:5

As I said, let the Pharisees go, it is more important specifically, that the Lord Jesus Christ said "God is the God of the Living, not the dead." It is as clear as it can get, He is not the God of the dead, no matter 'how long' you think otherwise. Imho, not worth our time. The Lord Jesus Christ made it exceptionally clear.

Not really helping imho. The body returns to the dust. I am not my body. 2 Corinthians 5:1 2 Peter 1:13

Vision doesn't mean illusion. :nono: It means "something seen."

Yes, because scripture says so.

:nono: Because scripture doesn't say so.

Good question.[/QUOTE]

2Cor 3:6 you're still using the wrong testament.

Lon

2Cor 3:6 you're still using the wrong testament.
"IF" it is written on your heart, you'd never contradict what is written as you continue to do to your own shame.
Sorry Zeke. You either believe it, or you don't and you've repeatedly said you do not. There are others in this thread that also
have spoken clearly, they do not. None of you can have the Spirit who believe the Bible is not His Word. Luke 21:33 Matthew 4:4

Zeke

"IF" it is written on your heart, you'd never contradict what is written as you continue to do to your own shame.
Sorry Zeke. You either believe it, or you don't and you've repeatedly said you do not. There are others in this thread that also
have spoken clearly, they do not. None of you can have the Spirit who believe the Bible is not His Word. Luke 21:33 Matthew 4:4

Start plucking out that eye then, again you are inprisoned to the dead meaning of the letter that jusifies foolishness concerning the Divine will.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Jesus would never say anything which might confuse people, like saying they must eat his flesh or drink his blood, would they Way 2 Go? or Angel?

John 6:60-66 KJV
(60) Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
(61) When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
(62) What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
(63) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
(64) But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
(65) And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
(66) From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Jesus spoke in parable and offended some of his disciples, who mistaking this for endorsing cannibalism, left him. Figured that was sort of relevant to that incessant chime of "Jesus would never tell a parable that someone could misinterpret."

And Jesus also said:

Luke 22:19 And He took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body, given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 20 In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you.…

Seems pretty clear to me, unless you are confused by things like i am the door, or springs of living water...

Rosenritter

1. I have an issue with this "the reality of the bible is fluid" idea you speak of. From my perspective, it feels like a method of evasion. If truth is not longer truth at some arbitrary point in the future, and for purposes of argument these change points can be invented, it feels wrong.

2. If you acknowledge that the passage above creates no contradiction for someone who consistently believes that man has no conscious awareness while dead, then I feel we have accomplished something productive. I am sure you realize that I can point to a few different passages that say in exactly that many words that the dead don't have awareness. This points back to point 1, above, about whether reality is fluid and passages like those become "outdated" or if once spoken, continues to remain true.

3. The problem I see in that passage for your position is that point about the earlier 1 Corinthians 15, that Paul speaks of only two types of forms, corruptible and incorruptible. Flesh and spirit. He says we receive the immortality at the resurrection, and not before. That leaves the mortal flesh corruptible body as our vessel until then.

4. When I say "read as the scripture was meant to be read" it doesn't matter whether it was Hebrew, Greek, or English. I'm talking about the order, starting at the beginning and then moving forward, establishing the foundation before building the embellishments. This is something available to pretty much anyone today, thanks in part to the sacrifices of martyrs before. I realize that it's hard to zero out assumptions and inherited perspectives, like most people have trouble not thinking about a "red fox running around the barn" (bet that triggered a thought.)

5. I am not sure what two scriptures you have in mind, but I am skeptical that you have two scriptures mandating eternal conscious torment that haven't received an answer in two thousand years. Can you define them?

6. What you said sounds like Pascal's argument, the idea of betting based on minimizing risk in case of a failed result. I reject Pascal's argument, because it doesn't take truth or faith into consideration. If you are wrong, and you teach people wrongly about God, many of these people will reject that God because it isn't a good God, and as such you become a stumbling block to God's children. There's a passage about millstones and deep sea diving in relation to that.

I'd like to present something else for consideration. This is a slightly different application that it is normally used for, but perhaps relevant:

Jas 3:15-17
(15) This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
(16) For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
(17) But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Eternal Conscious Torment cannot be "wisdom from above" because it is devilish. Yet Christians and non-Christians alike can understand that the extinction of the wicked would bring peace and it would even be a mercy. Yes, I am bringing the moral argument back into this, because it really doesn't go away. Yes, it is a moral argument, but it is a scriptural moral argument.

Okay, from your perspective, I see your consistency, now mine:
2 Corinthians 5:1-10 KJV
(1) For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Our flesh.
(2) For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: Different body, not affect/infected by sin and death
(3) If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. "Inbetween, alive without a body - naked.
(4) For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. Thus a longing to depart this life and be with God, clothed in Him. 1 John 3:2
(5) Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. So, we believers have His Spirit in/with us as well. Can God die? Sleep? :nono: Be removed? :nono:
(6) Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: Thus, away from our body conversely, then 'with' the Lord. There is no reason for this to be brought up otherwise. To be absent from the body IS to be present with the Lord. It is incredibly clear as far as I and the rest of the church read this.
(7) (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) Yep, who else but a believer, with this belief, exactly as I have stated, 'would' want to 'be with the Lord" which means dying and exiting this particular life? Just us. We walk by faith. Sight is for flesh dwellers.
(8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Boom and proved imho.
(9) Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. Because whether we live or die, we are the Lord's Romans 14:8
(10) For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
For the whole church and I, very clear as well as consistent. My hope being, regardless of your disagreement, you'll see and note the consistency of your opposition in the church.
Understood to here.

:nono: It 'USED' to be that. You have to understand that places are 'fluid' as the Bible progresses. Paradise, as I've told you, was next to/part of Hades. Not any longer. Today, to be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord specifically for believers. This promise, in our view, is ONLY for believers. The rest still go to Hades, that which is thrown into the Lake of Fire. Small mistakes like this will never have you understanding our view entirely. You have to remember the fluidity of before and after the Lord Jesus Christ's death burial and resurrection.

:think: 2Co 5:8 θαρροῦμεν δὲ καὶ εὐδοκοῦμεν μᾶλλον ἐκδημῆσαι ἐκ τοῦ σώματος καὶ ἐνδημῆσαι πρὸς τὸν Κύριον.
Emboldened, Moreover, and would rather moreso that [we]be out of the body and be home with the Lord.
-seems clear enough, what were you looking for?

Meh, I can read Greek a bit, had a year of Hebrew.

As we continue, we read our views into texts and they interesting line up, no? I have to likely remind you, there are two passages that disallow me from being an annihilationist. Unless there is a clear scripture, and there hasn't been one given for 2000+ years, the church will not acquiesce. As I also said, I think your position, if you are wrong, will be a lie to unbelievers as well. You can call it a 'mistake' but after you've told them they are to be annihilated, and they live forever, they will also hate you for it much more, forever. My view? They won't even know I was wrong a second later, and happier I was wrong. -Lon

Rosenritter

And likewise Jesus also defined the symbols like "dogs" that "desire crumbs from the Master's table" and the guy with "five brothers" dressed in "purple and fine linen" that calls Abraham "father." Seems likewise very simple to me. When the Bible uses symbols, it also provides the means for interpreting those symbols.

If no symbol was defined, then I might understand someone who would insist that a term was literal. When the symbol is defined, even with precision, do you suppose God just let that happen by accident? "Oops, I forgot that was in there?"

And Jesus also said:

Luke 22:19 And He took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body, given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 20 In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you.…

Seems pretty clear to me, unless you are confused by things like i am the door, or springs of living water...