Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Rosenritter

Joh_6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Jesus would never say anything which might confuse people, like saying they must eat his flesh or drink his blood, would they Way 2 Go? or Angel?

John 6:60-66 KJV
(60) Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
(61) When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
(62) What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
(63) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
(64) But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
(65) And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
(66) From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Jesus spoke in parable and offended some of his disciples, who mistaking this for endorsing cannibalism, left him. Figured that was sort of relevant to that incessant chime of "Jesus would never tell a parable that someone could misinterpret."

Rosenritter

John 6:53-56 KJV
(53) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
(54) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
(55) For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
(56) He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

No, I don't agree. Jesus would never present a false picture of the afterlife. Not only would it be a lie, but it would be totally impossible for Him to do so....because it would be a lit. Promoting a fable? No never.

(60) Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
(61) When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
(63) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
(64) But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
(65) And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
(66) From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Rosenritter

Lon, where in any of those passages does it say that the Pharisees believed the dead were conscious or aware in death? "nor angel, nor spirit" has nothing to do with "the dead are alive."

Matthew 14:26 KJV
(26) And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

Luke 24:37-39 KJV
(37) But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
(38) And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
(39) Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

1 John 4:1-3 KJV
(1) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
(2) Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
(3) And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Seriously, do you have a source that actually gives evidence that the Pharisees believed that the dead existed as ghosts? Because the reason I consider a spirit frightening is because apparitions are demonic manifestations.

Would his disciples have been afraid of the "spirit of Jesus" if they thought it was actually Jesus?

Acts 23:6-8 Acts 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.
Sadducees: Annihilation. Pharisees: :nono: the body is dead, spirit alive.

Matthew 22:23-46 Matthew 22:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.”
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob: Not dead "living" at the time this was said.

Mark 12:18-27 Mark 12:27 "He is not God of the dead, but of the living. You are quite wrong.”

Luke 20:27-38 Luke 20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Rosenritter

Why did John Calvin and Martin Luther and King James all write in their works that this apparition was demonic in nature? Attempts at divination often give predictions which wind up coming true.

There was no news media pumping them for those details....which could only distract from the miracle. But we do have other portions of scripture...this being one of the best. (One that many people try to explain away the same as they do Luke chapter 16.
1 Samuel 28:3
Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city. And Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.

1 Samuel 28:15-16 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?​

We know every word spoken by Samuel came true....his sons would die with him on the field of battle. Samuel asked why he had "disquieted him" (being as how he was comfortable in Abraham's bosom).

Rosenritter

Jesus does say eternal punishment

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Where is it written, Mr Go, that death is not a punishment? I think it actually says straight out that death IS the wages of sin.

glorydaz

Jesus does say eternal punishment

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

An eternal punishment for a man waiting on death row would be lethal injection....a death by hanging is as eternal as it gets. It isn't a temporary trip to the woodshed type of punishment. It isn't a temporary loss of all your goods type of punishment. It isn't 20 years in the slammer. :idunno:

Jeremiah 10:15 they are nothings, ridiculous objects; when the day for their punishment comes, they will perish.

Job 31:2-4
For what portion of God is there from above? and what inheritance of the Almighty from on high?
Is not destruction to the wicked? and a strange punishment to the workers of iniquity?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Hmmm. I can see your point, but if there can be eternal life, it seems there can be eternal death.

Let's just say....those who believe receive eternal life (when the believe).

Those who do not believe, will be raised to be judged, but there is no life in them.

Nobody dies eternally, each one continues in existence. Cold truth.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

glorydaz

John 6:53-56 KJV
(53) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
(54) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
(55) For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
(56) He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Hey, He explained it as clear as can be. It was all right there.

He is the bread of life and those who believe are those who partake of that life. He lined it out in such simple terms...it's only people like God's Untruth that think we have to eat his flesh.

So your point is what?

This is like the seed is the word.....some didn't get that either. It was a "hard saying".

way 2 go

An eternal punishment for a man waiting on death row would be lethal injection....a death by hanging is as eternal as it gets. It isn't a temporary trip to the woodshed type of punishment. It isn't a temporary loss of all your goods type of punishment. It isn't 20 years in the slammer. :idunno:

Jeremiah 10:15 they are nothings, ridiculous objects; when the day for their punishment comes, they will perish.

Job 31:2-4
For what portion of God is there from above? and what inheritance of the Almighty from on high?
Is not destruction to the wicked? and a strange punishment to the workers of iniquity?

does it take an eternity to hang someone ?
the death penalty is our final punishment we cant punish those who no longer exist

the penalty is an eternity in the lake of fire,

Mat 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Rev 20:10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Rev 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

fire does not consume
Luk 16:24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’

context cleared that up for me , how about you ?

Jer 10:7 Who would not fear you, O King of the nations? For this is your due; for among all the wise ones of the nations and in all their kingdoms there is none like you.
Jer 10:8 They are both stupid and foolish; the instruction of idols is but wood!
Jer 10:9 Beaten silver is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz. They are the work of the craftsman and of the hands of the goldsmith; their clothing is violet and purple; they are all the work of skilled men.
Jer 10:10 But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King. At his wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure his indignation.
Jer 10:11 Thus shall you say to them: “The gods who did not make the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under the heavens.”

said another way
Job 31:3 Is not calamity for the unrighteous, and disaster for the workers of iniquity?

glorydaz

Why did John Calvin and Martin Luther and King James all write in their works that this apparition was demonic in nature? Attempts at divination often give predictions which wind up coming true.

Probably because they are all fallible men. There are many others who say otherwise. God is more than able to use any means he wants.....even sending satan to inflict suffering on Job.

The fact is that the Bible says, Samuel said....it does not say the false spirit of Samuel said. The bible wouldn't be saying it was Samuel talking if it wasn't. What Samuel did say was in absolute accord with what God had already said....word for word. Then the fact that Saul and his sons would die the next day, and would be with Samuel (in the land of the dead) shows what no "demonic spirit" could know.

1 Samuel 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?

17 And the Lord hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the Lord hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David:

18 Because thou obeyedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing unto thee this day.

19 Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.​

glorydaz

does it take an eternity to hang someone ?
the death penalty is our final punishment we cant punish those who no longer exist

It only takes a second for a punishment to be eternal.

A punishment that results in death would fit the bill.

the penalty is an eternity in the lake of fire,

Mat 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Rev 20:10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Rev 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

That says the beast, the false prophet and satan go into the fire alive and are tormented for ever. :thumb:

It doesn't say that about anyone else. It says those not written in the book of life will be thrown in, also. If they aren't written in the book of life, there is no life in them.

fire does not consume
Luk 16:24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’

There is a refiners fire that cleanses....that would certainly be appropriate for the sheep and goats (what you did for the least of these).

context cleared that up for me , how about you ?

Jer 10:7 Who would not fear you, O King of the nations? For this is your due; for among all the wise ones of the nations and in all their kingdoms there is none like you.
Jer 10:8 They are both stupid and foolish; the instruction of idols is but wood!
Jer 10:9 Beaten silver is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz. They are the work of the craftsman and of the hands of the goldsmith; their clothing is violet and purple; they are all the work of skilled men.
Jer 10:10 But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King. At his wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure his indignation.
Jer 10:11 Thus shall you say to them: “The gods who did not make the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under the heavens.”

said another way
Job 31:3 Is not calamity for the unrighteous, and disaster for the workers of iniquity?

No, it actually doesn't. ;)

way 2 go

Where is it written, Mr Go, that death is not a punishment? I think it actually says straight out that death IS the wages of sin.
we have been over this .

you sin you die spiritually , but you do not believe that

Rom_7:9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died.

1Pe 4:6 For this is why the gospel was preached even to those who are dead, that though judged in the flesh the way people are, they might live in the spirit the way God does.

Lon

Now that you mention it, I was thinking that it didn't sound like Josephus. The Josephus who only made an indirect reference to Christ when he mentions "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James"[ ...

And your objection of "doesn't apply" likewise doesn't apply to the story setting of a parable. You keep getting ahead of yourself on this one.
You don't have to respond and certainly not with incredulity over each point. This one is merely that it was written 1) written atf and 2) written by a Christian ECF As such, it has more to do with it than you are seeing the façade.

Pharisees weren't being warned of Eternal Conscious Torment. First, you haven't yet shown a source (biblical or otherwise) to evidence that any Pharisees believed that death was a conscious expereince, second, there is no "eternal" in the story, as the judgment is not yet and the end effect of the punishment of judgment is described as destruction into ash from both Jesus and John the Baptist.
1) :doh: You said it was to the Pharisees. If the Rich man's story isn't ECT, what was it? :think:
2) It doesn't matter if it is eternal. That It is ongoing for over 2000 years is your first needed consideration. 2000 years or eternity does not let God, by your concern, off the hook. I've talked to nonChristians here on TOL. They are not comforted by your attempt, and usually find it as or more offensive.

So if "no such acknowledgement exists" then please explain why Matthew Henry, John Gill ,and Albert Barnes all identified the passage as a parables within their Bible commentaries? I'm not going to do the copy and paste a second time. Fairness of rational discussion means that you need to at least provide a reason if you are going to ignore evidence. Just saying "not so" is what Way 2 Go does, which is why I largely ignore him.
I didn't dismiss it. In fact, I said if it were a parable, it makes the problem worse...
It is rather point for point and so you can draw up a piece of paper, put some of these on one side, some on the other, and a good few on both sides. We have already agreed that I am not going to convince you, nor you I. Rather, we are presenting so that you and I 'can' have a genuine balance sheet.

Lon, numbers or what is thought to be majority aren't a valid measure in this sort of question. When Elias was in the minority, and thought he was the only one left, God assured him that there were seven thousand men who had not yet bowed the knee to Baal. Yet even those seven thousand of minority were thought to be much less, if at all, because they were persecuted by the majority.
Differences: 1) NOT Christians. There were Spiritual Jews and those who rejected God. 2) As such, you are talking about 'within' those seven thousand, not outside the group, so your thinking and model are incorrect. In the Church, do you imagine only 7000 follow God??? :think:

It may be that many who intuitively can tell there is something wrong with "Eternal Conscious Torment" may not be properly armed with scriptures, or attempt a proper "on the scripture only" request for review and/or confrontation. However, I have personal first-hand experience witnessing abominable behavior that is railed upon those that do question, especially if on the basis of scriptures. So much that I started a collection documenting all the variety of bad behavior, from those that supposedly are supposed to be representatives of God and who with their mouths, at least, profess that "scripture only" and to "prove anything if asked."
What is the purpose of documenting sins??? Was the man that was with his step-mother or mother 1 Corinthians 5:4,5,9,12,13 not a Christian? 2 Corinthians 2:5-11 Did Kind David, an adulterer, bigamist, and murder, lose God's favor? Acts 13:22

Not everyone is like that. But it's fairly common.
We are being made into His likeness. As far as behavior, we cannot judge it well. It seems 'odd' to hear Ephesians 4:28. I just don't steal. We might think: "Why is Paul saying THIS???!!" The real mark of Christianity is growth, imho, rather than lack of poor behavior and even at that, I'm no fruit inspector. I try not to come between people and their Savior. They must stand or fall before Him, with me out of the way. Matthew 25:36 Mark 2:17 I think God loves sinners.... :think:

You likely have more of Christendom that believes similarly but you won't ever hear from them for a variety of reasons, including that they don't want to be attacked. They may not be equipped to answer every question that might be put to them, but even you aren't able to answer every question put to you, and you have the benefit of an official bible education.
A bit naïve, imho, because we are not bereft of scholars and have a wealth of thoughts accessible for most matters.
You are correct, I don't know everything, but I do have good access.

You haven't yet shown me how "Abraham was alive in Paradise" is compatible with Jesus proving the resurrection of the dead by "God is the God of the Living." If Abraham was in Paradise, he doesn't need to be raised for God to be the "God of the Living." Until and unless you manage to reconcile that, in a way that at least makes reasonable sense to someone such as myself (I try to be fair) please realize that your assumption isn't a settled point yet.
I'm pretty sure the "thanks" I've been given, show some are getting this: God of the "Living." Abraham, had and has to be 'alive' somewhere when the Lord Jesus Christ said it. HAD to be.

Sorry, I have trouble understanding what you mean with the super short responses sometimes.
That's fine and I appreciate you asking when it isn't clear to you. The main point: I brought up Samuel coming to Saul, as an example of 'your' observation. IOW, I was just saying "Well yeah, of course you are correct. Samuel coming to Saul may well be an example of what you were talking about." Your response was to say "Not Samuel." "Well, okay, just pick another example then, I was trying to agree with you."

Correction, and an important one. Sadducee did not believe that bodies lay in the ground dead until the resurrection. Sadducees denied that there was ANY resurrection. This is described as the dividing point between Pharisee and Sadducee.
Not a correction. I already knew this. Worth a note, sure.

Rather, "the dead lay silent in the dust until the resurrection" is what the Pharisees believed. No mention is made of a dispute between these factions as to the state of death, only whether the dead would be raised from death. Look at verses that you have already posted, it says as much.
It wasn't soul-sleep however. Some of them? Sure, it is possible BUT when The Lord Jesus Christ said "God is the God of the living," He corrected them (and I believe you) as well.

Acts 23:6-8 KJV
(6) But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
(7) And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
(8) For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

Why do you say the Sadducees believed we were dead until the resurrection?
Sorry, "until Resurrection" would have been the anecdote, not what the Sadducees believed. Rather, It was the 'lain in the ground' that I was my intention. Thanks for asking that I might clarify.

Which brings us back to Tyndale's question to Sir Thomas More. Any assumption that the dead were conscious means that Christ's answer does nothing to prove the resurrection. Given that Jesus said that this was to prove the resurrection, specifically and for no other purpose, and nothing else was said to offer proof, ergo his statement does NOT mean that the dead are alive, but requires that the dead are dead in every sense of the word.

Jesus corrected the Sadducees, but he corrected them about the resurrection, not anything else. Please, the text says exactly that!

Matthew 22:31-32 KJV
(31) But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
(32) I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Do you see where Jesus says "As touching the dead, that they live in Paradise..." or anything like that there? I don't. If you do, please point them out to me and underline or use color or something.
For me, incredibly clear:

Matthew 22:31 And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God:
Matthew 22:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but [God] of the living [ONLY].” Again, Abraham HAD to be alive somewhere. Where? :think: Paradise side of Hades according to Luke 16:19-31

Today's churches aren't that different from when they were officially under Rome. Some of the people changed, for a bit, a few of the customs, but the same base human attributes that brought corruption in the first case are still present and reassert themselves. Who was it that said that the tree of liberty must continually be refreshed with the blood of patriots? One attempt at reformation doesn't fix everything at once, and before you know it a new generation has entirely different objectives.
I read scripture and 'find' I'm orthodox. Later, on things I might not have understood, I've looked to orthodox positions to understand what others believe the particulars mean.

I was hoping for a more enthusiastic commitment to "scripture only." Not tradition first, and interpreting all scripture in the light of that tradition. If one isn't willing to attempt to put aside preconceived ideas and let the scripture naturally build itself up in the order God gave them to us, and then compare the results, you will never have a fair comparison.
1) :chuckle: You have brought up Tyndale and Luther a lot for a guy this disinterested in tradition. Sorry, just strikes my funny bone and a bit of irony.
2)
Unless it is 'logically' unassailable, but it'd have to be mutual as well. As far as 'orthodox' these are what the 'majority' (and VAST majority) believes is biblical.
I think that is fairly enthusiastic, especially when I said if it were NOT, that we'd have to hold that truth 'mutually.' I believe flowing lava is hot. Do you believe lava is hot? We didn't get it from the bible. We both mutually agree lava right from a volcano is probably hot. Because we agree, we can agree without fanfare.
You say that "the majority of Christianity believes..." but Lon, how much of this "majority of Christianity" do you think has read the whole Bible at cover to cover (at least) maybe once? The first ECT quote in James Wallace list was from a person who said that the souls of the wicked are immortal.... yet scripture tells us that Jesus only hath immortality, and that immortality is only given as a gift to those who believe in Jesus Christ, something that the blessed saints in Christ only put on in the resurrection. Yet this so-called "Father" is accepted as Orthodox when he blatantly denies the scripture. Something is wrong with this picture...
Depends on the church, but every pastor, teacher, missionary, we'd suppose. There is a thread on TOL that asks how many have read their Bible cover-to-cover at least once. Some were surprised at the number that hadn't. I was pleasantly pleased with the number that had. All? Nope. Still glad for the number that have.

I had a "discussion" with Jim Wallace some years back about less-than-accurate posting of those lists. For example, he was listing Justin Martyr as being a proponent of "Eternal Conscious Torment" and "immortal souls." Most people believe those lists because they don't suspect someone will flat-out lie to them. For example, he had Justin Martyr in the middle of his list, who also has these clear statements in his writings:

"... why do we any longer endure those unbelieving and dangerous arguments, and fail to see that we are retrograding when we listen to such an argument as this: that the soul is immortal, but the body mortal... this we used to hear from Pythagoras and Plato, even before we learned the truth."

" ... and by whom God destroys both the serpent and those angels and men who are like him; but works deliverance from death those those who repent of their wickedness and believe in him..."

" the fire of judgment would descend and utterly dissolve all things, even as formerly the flood left no one but him only with his family who is by us called Noah..."

A good half of his list (the earlier half) was filled with bogus claims as to early Christian Fathers. Since I persisted on attempting to talk with him on it, he finally removed Justin Martyr only (who I was using as my prime example) and stopped responding. Point being, don't trust lists from James Wallace without first verifying the information yourself.
Here is the other link I would have given, but it requires digging out the quotes. Wallace's was formatted easier to find (and the only reason I'd used it).

]It's not the person I care about either, but rather the dishonesty of those lists. More so about the unwillingness of the authors to make corrections when (presumed) mistakes or oversights are brought to their attention. I am reminded of how state-sponsored textbooks continue to use arguments and evidences that have been proved false or fake hoaxes, but their response is that they won't update the textbooks because they need to have some sort of evidence for evolution.
Could it be, as you've noted earlier, because some quotes can go both ways, depending on presuppositions? IOW, would he have left them, simply because from his perspective, they support his position?

You can ask him for a copy. He has materials he shares on request. Or ask me and I'll share the copy I got from him. But the list you gave incorrectly listed authors with annihilation language as ECT, without any mention of "immortal soul" or "torment without end" when he said that the result of eternal fire was "death."

... and this is getting longer. To be continued.
I'm not really too interested:
Unless it is 'logically' unassailable, but it'd have to be mutual as well. As far as 'orthodox' these are what the 'majority' (and VAST majority) believes is biblical.
Unless we could agree on the ECF's, it'd just be distraction, I think.
I was hoping for a more enthusiastic commitment to "scripture only."

glorydaz

we have been over this .

you sin you die spiritually , but you do not believe that

Rom_7:9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died.

1Pe 4:6 For this is why the gospel was preached even to those who are dead, that though judged in the flesh the way people are, they might live in the spirit the way God does.

And what do you think that verse in 1 Peter is talking about? When Jesus went to preach the Gospel to those in Hades after His death on the cross?

way 2 go

It only takes a second for a punishment to be eternal.

A punishment that results in death would fit the bill.

what if a Christian is being punished by muslims
and they behead the Christian .
the punishment took seconds but that sends the Christian to be with the lord

way 2 go

And what do you think that verse in 1 Peter is talking about? When Jesus went to preach the Gospel to those in Hades after His death on the cross?

Rom_8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.