I lost my faith a while back

Spectrox War

Sounds more like infatuation than faith. Faith is founded on trust and reliance. Apostasy is predicated on doubt. To quote the Bard, "You can't get there from here." That is, you can't trust and doubt. They're mutually exclusive. So if you found yourself entertaining the latter you never quite possessed the former. You reserved something in the foundation of your faith.

The most common reservation is a variation on pride. It demands that God suit and reconcile Himself to our context instead of examining life's questions within His. That sort of faith is doomed from the start. It's really only a matter of time.

Just a quickie before bedtime(!).

Your response here presupposes that God actually exists and that God is male. Neither of these can be substantiated IMO. And it WAS faith I had - I held a belief about the Bible and Jesus for a few months. Some might try to dress it up as something else. But as far as I'm concerned, it was faith. I had no doubts initially.

Then I woke up.

Goodnight everyone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just a quickie before bedtime(!).

Your response here presupposes that God actually exists
No, my faith presupposes that. My criticism of your declaration exists independent of that. It functions whether or not God exists objectively.

By way of example. That you cannot trust and doubt, that they are mutually exclusive terms and that faith is a declaration of trust are not dependent on the object of that faith being actual. And doubt isn't a cold a man catches. It's a willful act, a choice to question that which faith/trust would preclude.

and that God is male.
No, it doesn't. That God is described in masculine terms doesn't lead one, reasonably, to consider God as a sexed creature, which is an reflection of creation. Now demonstrate that rationality of yours and make an argument for your declarations when you return.

And it WAS faith I had - I held a belief about the Bible and Jesus for a few months.
A sort of faith, but a stunted one. I set out why prior. You reserved your right to judge God, to question His authority and nature. That reservation isn't faith as the Christian should have it. It is more a rough enchantment with a subjective sense of probability.

Some might try to dress it up as something else.
Rather, I can rationally distinguish it from my own and what I believe is required of someone who would follow Christ. Your reservation was like unto the rich young ruler's wealth. And it cost you the full and redemptive experience of Christ.

But as far as I'm concerned, it was faith.
Faith doesn't fail. Only the men who lay claim to it do and if they do it makes a statement. And so the argument.

I had no doubts initially.
You had a rationally undeniable reservation, a flaw in that faith. It is from that flaw that your apostasy arose.

Then I woke up.
No. You're still very much asleep. You just heard Christ passing and stirred for a moment.

:e4e:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used."
I heard a caller on Dennis Prager's radio program today who had an experience opposite of yours. She was an atheist but then lost her husband suddenly. After her loss, she wanted to know God. It didn't sound like she was a believer but she was open to at least attempting to know him. Maybe someday she will (Deut 4:29).

She admitted that her decisions then and now are based on emotions.

"I enjoy honest debate."
Being that you admit that your decisions may have been made by your mood, I am more included to believe that you will debate honestly here--until you give us reason not to believe you. :rolleyes:

Be sure to stop by Satan, Inc. (TOL's heretic's list). :burnlib:

Quincy

My name is Spectrox. I am from the UK.

I'm a fan of UK, University of Kentucky Wildcats that is.

I lost my Christian faith about 15 years ago.

What happened?

I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used.

OK, so I once considered myself a satanist, but my problem was with the people in some churches not Christ or his discipline. Have you ever considered your issue isn't with the spirit or Love, but rather the insane ideals people believe? Which denomination did you belong to?

I am much more skeptical about religion and spirituality than I used to be (obviously) and I reckon I am more logical and rational now than when I believed Jesus was my saviour.

On what foundation do you base your logical and rational conclusions? I'm under the impression that there is no irrefutable foundation for human understanding so why should we believe your view is better than ours?

I am certainly happier.

That's always a great thing :)

I enjoy honest debate.

I hope so :e4e: .

Alexandros

And it WAS faith I had - I held a belief about the Bible and Jesus for a few months. Some might try to dress it up as something else. But as far as I'm concerned, it was faith. I had no doubts initially.

Then I woke up.

What did you believe in before these few months?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because people come here a lot with their deconversion story and about how devout they were as Christians. But then we find out they were 13 years old, so it just doesn't mean very much. But not so in your case.

Yep.

I used to be very religious myself, but I wasn't very serious about God. Now I am very serious about God, but not that religious, if that makes any sense.

Lon

Yes. I've heard the No True Scotsman argument more times than I care to remember. In fact I remember Christians pointing this out to me when I was going through my deconversion. At the time, I felt it was the worst lie imaginable. Now I just think it is a difference of opinion on a process that I was going through.
You can love an idea, like marriage. In fact, before I was married, I loved the idea of it but a marriage takes two.
▼notice▼
I loved it ... hate some of it...Defending the Bible....secretly thinking it was...wrong....
▲I do not question you had an experience, I question whether it was a relationship with Him. If one did, they would have a seriously hard time denying He existed.▲
You are talking about Christianity (it) rather than Christ (Him).

zippy2006

My name is Spectrox. I am from the UK.

I lost my Christian faith about 15 years ago.

I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used.

I am much more skeptical about religion and spirituality than I used to be (obviously) and I reckon I am more logical and rational now than when I believed Jesus was my saviour.

I am certainly happier.

I enjoy honest debate.

Welcome to the forum Spectrox :wave2:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Because Bible believers presumably believe in the miracles and other tall tales. These violate known laws of science.
Many people believe that our government rigged 9/11, that they imploded the buildings for their own purposes. This defies logic and reason yet people still believe it.

And creation does not violate the laws of science. God created the "laws of science" when He created life, the universe and everything. There is no disconnect between science and faith. They are not mutually exclusive.

alwight

So anything that violates known laws of science cannot possibly be true? What led you to that conclusion?
Anything that actually did violate physical norms or laws would be evidence of a "something else" being true, have you got any?
Why should we assume a "something else" anyway without it.
Nobody has said anything about "cannot possibly be true" other than you I suspect.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anything that actually did violate physical norms or laws would be evidence of a "something else" being true, have you got any?
Life from non-life.

Matter from nothing.

Consciousness, logic and reason.

Emotion, love, hope and justice.

Just to name a few. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used.... I reckon I am more logical and rational now than when I believed Jesus was my saviour.

It doesn't seem so to me if you think a rock can create itself out of nothing.